Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #201
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutta View Post
Amen, sister!! That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Tell me how large it is or show the product next to a ruler or some other item that would indicate the size of the product. Please.

Jutta
YES!! I have purchased more than one stamp the was much larger or smaller than I expected. One so big I could not use it on a card. It was designed for a scrapbook page.
stiz2003 likes this post.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #202
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathBelle View Post
Lesley
I have a 6" x 6" (15cm) Swiss dot embossing folder by Embossalicious. Don't know if you can get this make in US.
Ruth
Thanks, Ruth.

I am in the UK!

I have the Embossalicious Petite Dots folder but the dots are not petite enough! Would like the tiny dots like the Cuttlebug Swiss Dots folder.

Lesley
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #203
Kookie Creator

Sorry Lesley, I guess I automatically think everyone else on SCS is in the US!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #204
Embossing Fanatic

Three little words that do not exist: Nucular, realator, and jewelery. Why are those so difficult?! Nu-cle-ar, real-tor, jew-el-ry.
Oh--one more thing! "Where are you AT?" Conserve your syllables, people! You don't need the "at!"

personallycreated.blogspot.com/
LRozyczko likes this post.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #205
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesleybd View Post
A 15cm x 15cm swiss dot embossing folder would change my life

I am thinking of buying Craft Too's A4 'Dottie' and cutting it down. Oooh! Scary stuff!

Lesley
Have you tried putting the card through the folder twice, just moving it along a bit to fill your sheet. I do this, and often all I need to do is just refine a row of dots after with a stylus tool.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 09-21-2013 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #206
Pearl-ExPert

One of my pet peeves is people- Facebook seems to be awash with these offenders- who write messages in text speak. More than once, Beloved Hubby has written under a certain Nieces message- 'Translation Please?', or even- 'You have a whole keyboard full of letters- use the darn things!'
Old 09-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #207
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
Jewellery is a valid word. It's the way the word is spelled (or spelt) in every country outside of North America. (same with spelt vs spelled although both are used in other countries).

aluminium vs aluminum
learnt vs learned
realise vs realize
orientated vs oriented

etc etc
I think her point was mispronunciation, not spelling: "Jewelry" is two syllables, not three. (I am wondering, though, if people who spell it jewellery pronounce it with two or three syllables...)
Old 09-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #208
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
I've heard it pronounced both ways by people from other countries. I do know aluminium and aluminum are pronounced differently. Pronunciation is very regional so I can't imagine criticizing that in anyone. You don't know where they're from or what they've heard all of their lives.

Bush and Carter's Nuclear Pronunciation Might Be Right - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)
My Daughter-in Law is from New Zealand and pronounces it as AL-U- MIN-E-UM. Stress accent on the AL
The first time she said it I did not understand what she was saying

P.S. I just ignore the gramatical errors and misspellings . I am too old to sweat the small stuff LOL
I pay attention to the Customer Service and product quality issues, because those could affect me

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 09-21-2013 at 03:49 PM..
gale, RiverIsis and JoBear2 like this post.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #209
Rubber Obsessor

i really dislike those sites where products are organized exclusively according to manufacturer. Im not a loyalist, im looking for affordable, quality stuff with designs I like & I don't really care who made it.
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #210
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschele64 View Post
Three little words that do not exist: Nucular, realator, and jewelery. Why are those so difficult?! Nu-cle-ar, real-tor, jew-el-ry.
Oh--one more thing! "Where are you AT?" Conserve your syllables, people! You don't need the "at!"
On the first one - Merriam-Webster's Collegiate (11th edition) is now citing NUCULAR as a variant "disapproved of by many" but "in widespread use among educated speakers including scientists, lawyers, professors...." and it could well become the dominant version in time. Linguistically speaking it's a rare combination so we're less used to pronouncing it.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:21 AM   #211
Stazon Splitcoast

I find variations in pronunciation and "regionalisms", as I call them, amusing, but not annoying. Exposure and repetition are how we learn to speak the way we do and I think it's a bit harsh to judge anyone by their vocabulary and/or pronunciation. My husband is the smartest man I know, but his father was second-generation Italian and his mother was...stupid? (sounds mean, but even her best friends thought so - sweet woman, but dumb as a box of rocks), so his grammar and vocabulary are sometimes lacking. I get MORE annoyed with those who use big words (sometimes inappropriately) and talk down to others. Kindness is far more important...

gale, nancyt and DianeinSparks like this post.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:41 AM   #212
Stazon Splitcoast

It is interesting how we assign value to the way people are speaking. I have been an avid reader my entire life and have a larger than average vocabulary. I don't speak down to people....I just speak! I've been accused of using bigger words than necessary, but honestly they're just the words that come to mind and sometimes a bigger word that is more specific fits the situation better than a smaller one! It is funny though that I have, on occasion, used that perfect word but pronounced it incorrectly because I've only read it, not heard it!
On a similar note, 2 of my boys are also huge readers and when my youngest boy was ~7 we were walking near a stinky pond and he said, "What's that wretched stench?" Too funny!
ChrisO, gregzgurl, buggainok and 6 others like this post.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #213
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzgurl View Post
I find variations in pronunciation and "regionalisms", as I call them, amusing, but not annoying. Exposure and repetition are how we learn to speak the way we do and I think it's a bit harsh to judge anyone by their vocabulary and/or pronunciation. My husband is the smartest man I know, but his father was second-generation Italian and his mother was...stupid? (sounds mean, but even her best friends thought so - sweet woman, but dumb as a box of rocks), so his grammar and vocabulary are sometimes lacking. I get MORE annoyed with those who use big words (sometimes inappropriately) and talk down to others. Kindness is far more important...
My husband was accused by a coworker of talking down to him because of his English accent. Now that is really annoying!
Old 09-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #214
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaxsix View Post
It is interesting how we assign value to the way people are speaking. I have been an avid reader my entire life and have a larger than average vocabulary. I don't speak down to people....I just speak! I've been accused of using bigger words than necessary, but honestly they're just the words that come to mind and sometimes a bigger word that is more specific fits the situation better than a smaller one! It is funny though that I have, on occasion, used that perfect word but pronounced it incorrectly because I've only read it, not heard it!
On a similar note, 2 of my boys are also huge readers and when my youngest boy was ~7 we were walking near a stinky pond and he said, "What's that wretched stench?" Too funny!

That IS funny!

I'm okay with people who use big words when they fit the situation and/or that's their manner of speaking. It's the blow-hards that use them because they think it makes them look smarter or whatever that get under my skin...

I agree that reading is a huge plus in building a vocabulary. That being said, just like you mentioned, I've mauled the pronunciation of many words because I'd only read them, but not heard them spoken. For example, for the longest time I put the accent in "photographic" on the same syllables as "photography" because I'd only read it, not heard it - doh!

buggainok and Cook22 like this post.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #215
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
My husband was accused by a coworker of talking down to him because of his English accent. Now that is really annoying!
Both my reader boys use British pronunciations of certain words, Sorry and been come to mind, and that drives me a bit batty, but then they aren't British!!!! They both listened to British readers of audiobooks and picked up a couple of mannerisms from them I think.
buggainok and RiverIsis like this post.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #216
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
That IS funny!

I'm okay with people who use big words when they fit the situation and/or that's their manner of speaking. It's the blow-hards that use them because they think it makes them look smarter or whatever that get under my skin...

I agree that reading is a huge plus in building a vocabulary. That being said, just like you mentioned, I've mauled the pronunciation of many words because I'd only read them, but not heard them spoken. For example, for the longest time I put the accent in "photographic" on the same syllables as "photography" because I'd only read it, not heard it - doh!
When I was little I thought it was Dee-ter-mind-ed, not determined! Talk about butchering a word! It is a known hazard of having a larger reading vocabulary than oral, but I can live with that!
gregzgurl, buggainok, LizSwickley and 2 others like this post.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #217
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
That IS funny!

As annoying as these type are, their counterparts are even more so! Those of great academic intelligence who act and say stupid things! My daughter comes to mind at the moment...

All the test scores and the grades and the teacher report claim "genius" but while having a conversation with her today, I asked if she thought someone's actions were justified. She just stared at me and all of a sudden started to sound like Patrick from Sponge Bob and said, "uuuuugh, what's that mean?" Are you kidding me!
gregzgurl and mamaxsix like this post.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:22 AM   #218
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnval View Post
As annoying as these type are, their counterparts are even more so! Those of great academic intelligence who act and say stupid things! My daughter comes to mind at the moment...

All the test scores and the grades and the teacher report claim "genius" but while having a conversation with her today, I asked if she thought someone's actions were justified. She just stared at me and all of a sudden started to sound like Patrick from Sponge Bob and said, "uuuuugh, what's that mean?" Are you kidding me!
Smart does not equal wise nor practical nor able to use common sense!
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #219
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Smart does not equal wise nor practical nor able to use common sense!
I know a lot of people who are "book smart" but have absolutely no common sense.
grateful2bsaved, mamaxsix and chiyanne1 like this post.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #220
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
I know a lot of people who are "book smart" but have absolutely no common sense.
Yeah, I had to divorce the genius and find a normal person...

Old 09-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #221
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

My non-crafting-related pet peeve is people who attend a school's band or choir concert, or a marching band competition, or other such musical event and talk while a group is performing.

I don't mind if people want to chat with others in between groups (like, for instance, between concert choir and show choir, or between bands in a competition), but raising their voices so they can hear their conversation during the entire performance is simply rude.
Soozie4Him, Cook22, RiverIsis and 3 others like this post.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #222
Stazon Splitcoast

I totally agree. That's definitely on par with texting during movies...yeah that bright little screen sort of ruins the moment on the screen.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #223
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Last year at my daughter's annual dance recital, the father of one of her classmates (he is also my husband's brother-in-law's nephew) had his phone on during the entire show. Didn't even watch his own kids dance! (he had 3 in the recital.) He was sitting in the row ahead of us and I had to use my program to sort of block the light from my field of vision because it was so distracting. The previous year a child with a nintendo was right in front of us. I can't believe how rude some people are.
I so agree with this. But why not say something to the person with the phone - especially when the light from it is ruining your experience?

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:24 AM   #224
Stazon Splitcoast

I admit to letting my kids take handheld games to events they don' t want to attend to keep them from being more disruptive. However, if someone had said it was distracting for them I would have done my best to accommodate a solution.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #225
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via AIM to lori92760

i guess i am dead from the butt both ways. these things do not bug me. i let my son have handheld games with ear phones when he had to sit thru endless and way to lengthy dance recitals or band and choir concerts that went on for four hours. being a parent i had to pretend to be interested in all of the acts, but really i was there to see my kid. as i suspect everyone else was, if they were being honest.

there are things that put me over the edge. in addition to my main job i work at two food pantries and people who do not understand poverty or who have never known hunger that try to tell me about "those" people. they bug me. and they go on to tell me they would help or donate but "too many of THOSE people" could be working/drive a nice car/smoke/ etc. its all i can do not to go nuts. 60% of my clients have at least one family member working, maybe they bought that car in good times, maybe they are living in that car. you just never know what is going on in someone elses life. i am not stupid i know that a few are scamming the system. so much of christianity is crap to me (and my daughter is a minister) but taking care of one another i can wrap my head around. so i can hand the scammers a box of food with a smile on my face because i know its between them and god, i am doing the right thing.

so thats what chaps me. and boy do i not miss those dance recitals!
WickedPixie, sprtchick, gregzgurl and 6 others like this post.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #226
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori92760 View Post
i guess i am dead from the butt both ways. these things do not bug me. i let my son have handheld games with ear phones when he had to sit thru endless and way to lengthy dance recitals or band and choir concerts that went on for four hours. being a parent i had to pretend to be interested in all of the acts, but really i was there to see my kid. as i suspect everyone else was, if they were being honest.

there are things that put me over the edge. in addition to my main job i work at two food pantries and people who do not understand poverty or who have never known hunger that try to tell me about "those" people. they bug me. and they go on to tell me they would help or donate but "too many of THOSE people" could be working/drive a nice car/smoke/ etc. its all i can do not to go nuts. 60% of my clients have at least one family member working, maybe they bought that car in good times, maybe they are living in that car. you just never know what is going on in someone elses life. i am not stupid i know that a few are scamming the system. so much of christianity is crap to me (and my daughter is a minister) but taking care of one another i can wrap my head around. so i can hand the scammers a box of food with a smile on my face because i know its between them and god, i am doing the right thing.

so thats what chaps me. and boy do i not miss those dance recitals!
Lori, your post really spoke to me. First, thank you for giving your time to help others. And I agree, it is really not for us to judge their circumstances. If someone shows up at a food bank and stands in line to get food, I am going to assume they are hungry.

So many have no idea of what it means to "walk in someone else's shoes." When my blood pressure can stand it, I read posts in the current events forum. Lots of times, the posters who have bible verses in their siggy line are the ones ranting and raving about "those people" who are taking "my tax dollars" to feed their children.

I get especially disturbed when there is a discussion about food stamps. Invariably someone will be outraged that they saw a mother with 4 children using her food stamps to buy COOKIES for her children! Imagine that, everyone should know that poor children don't deserve cookies.

Okay, off the soapbox. I agree with you 100%.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
gregzgurl, dillyb5, RiverIsis and 3 others like this post.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #227
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
That IS funny!

We are also a family of readers. I still remember when my son was about 9 or so, he said something about a "mar-in-goo" pie. Of course, he meant the word "meringue'." We have called it that ever since in our family, lol.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #228
Matboard Maniac

Still laughing over the 'what's that wretched stench" story. Cracks me up........
buggainok likes this post.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #229
Compulsive Stamper

Just saw this post and was amazed to see how many people have the same pet peeves as I do. I hope the "powers that be" are reading this!

My Pet Peeve....
I am so tired of stamps with music notes or passages that have backwards or upside notes. Sometimes the "objects" aren't even notes. There are some of these stamps that are very pretty, but I'm not buying something to send to someone who knows music (that's why I send them something musical) and it's incorrect! It would be like spelling words on a stamp incorrectly. Designers...ask someone who knows music for help. A couple little corrections and you'd have a perfect and beautiful stamp!

Last edited by LRozyczko; 01-16-2014 at 12:51 PM..
Soozie4Him likes this post.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #230
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRozyczko View Post
Just saw this post and was amazed to see how many people have the same pet peeves as I do. I hope the "powers that be" are reading this!

My Pet Peeve....
I am so tired of stamps with music notes or passages that have backwards or upside notes. Sometimes the "objects" aren't even notes. There are some of these stamps that are very pretty, but I'm not buying something to send to someone who knows music (that's why I send them something musical) and its incorrect! It would be like spelling words on a stamp incorrectly. Designers...ask someone who knows music for help. A couple little corrections and you'd have a perfect and beautiful stamp!
I agree with this!! However, I'm guessing that no designers ever ask because they don't realize that something is incorrect there in the first place.
Thank you all so much for all the cards for SCS member Ladybug91743 Marie-alice. She is done with chemo and surgery. She is done with radiation treatments too, and is now just focused on recovering. She loves the cards!!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #231
Hardware Hotshot

I just read through all the pages of the pet peeves and I agree with most of them also. I'm frustrated with the stamp companies lately. It seems like they are all making the pretty flower stamps only for the A2 card size, I almost never make an A2 card, most of mine are 5x7 or 6x6 and I would love to find a company that makes pretty flowers (like realistic looking) flowers that are larger or bouquets that are larger. I also agree with waiting for the CHA new things for months after they show them. They need to wait to preview them until they are ready to ship.
Laurene and RiverIsis like this post.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #232
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRozyczko View Post

My Pet Peeve....
I am so tired of stamps with music notes or passages that have backwards or upside notes. Sometimes the "objects" aren't even notes. There are some of these stamps that are very pretty, but I'm not buying something to send to someone who knows music (that's why I send them something musical) and it's incorrect! It would be like spelling words on a stamp incorrectly. Designers...ask someone who knows music for help. A couple little corrections and you'd have a perfect and beautiful stamp!
After I read your post I JUST saw this newly released (released today!) stamp set!! Cringing at some of the "notes" and notations there...
https://www.papertreyink.com/stamps/...sic-stamp-set/

Edited to add: I know this company has fixed a spelling error on another set years ago - perhaps they would be open to fixing this set as well...
Thank you all so much for all the cards for SCS member Ladybug91743 Marie-alice. She is done with chemo and surgery. She is done with radiation treatments too, and is now just focused on recovering. She loves the cards!!
RiverIsis and LRozyczko like this post.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #233
Compulsive Stamper

Isn't that sad. And if they don't know they're making a mistake, maybe they shouldn't be designing a music stamp...I think that sounds harsh, but a company would never allow someone who can't spell to write their word stamps unless designs were properly vetted before manufacture. I vote with my pocketbook (as my grandma used to say.)
Old 01-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #234
Stazon Splitcoast

The sad thing is that company is based in an area that has musical resources and could have easily had that proofed for a small fee.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #235
Crimping Master

I understand what you mean.

My explanation would be that as artistic design is more about the aesthetic the artist may have placed the incorrectly drawn 'note' in a certain way to speak to the eye, without being aware that notes are limited in their design in the same way as letters and numbers.

On the other hand, I wonder how many of us have the childlike handwriting fonts with back to front 's' and '4'.

In the case of this PTI stamp, errors could be part of the distressed look - eg broken or flipped over. But if the design was more formal it would be out of place.
MrsStack79, RiverIsis and CraftyMel2 like this post.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:44 PM   #236
Crimping Master

While I can understand people wanting stamps to be correct in every way, I can't help but think of how many things we see every day that are shaped "incorrectly". Stars are not star shaped but that does not stop me from stamping with them. Hearts are not heart shaped I don't think a cardiologist would skoff at a valentine though. I think there is always room for artistic license
ceramicat1 likes this post.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #237
Stazon Splitcoast

That just reminded me that I saw a "St Patty's Day" sign for sale at Hobby Lobby earlier this week... St Patrick didn't have a sex change op.
NancyK. and jukie like this post.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #238
Compulsive Stamper

I love stylized stamps, but I would not use a stamp with a misspelling.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #239
Stazon Splitcoast

Just thinking I could really have some fun with a complaint letter to Hobby Lobby over the sex change. ..
PH in VA and SophieLaFontaine like this post.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #240
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
When I was little I thought it was Dee-ter-mind-ed, not determined! Talk about butchering a word! It is a known hazard of having a larger reading vocabulary than oral, but I can live with that!
I thought the term was "maniac" depressive!