In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #161
Stazon Splitcoast
 
lesliespringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Posts: 19,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
It annoys me when companies introduce products at CHA and then it may be 6 months before we can buy them. I become enthused when I see the new products , but frequently I lose interest while waiting and just go on to buy something else.
I went to CHA June 2010. Intending to buy new releases of Spellbinders(that of course have been advertised for months). With my pocket full of cash, so excited, I walked up to their booth to be informed that the new releases would be out in September.

I asked why they have been advertising for so long if they were not going to be available at CHA for June. That was when I found out they were made over sea's.

It took until Feb 2011 for me to obtain these "New Releases".

Needless to say I am no longer on the "bandwagon" for Spellbinders. If I see them available. I may get them. I am now "An Equal Opportunity Die Cut Owner"
__________________
Leslie


"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
lesliespringer is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Grumpygirl73 likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #162
Hardware Hotshot
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliespringer View Post

Needless to say I am no longer on the "bandwagon" for Spellbinders. If I see them available. I may get them. I am now "An Equal Opportunity Die Cut Owner"
It isn't just Spellbinders. Look at the wait for the Envelop punch from We Are Memory Keepers . Remember the iTop Brad maker? How long did people wait to get a Vagabond after it was introduced? "Many" companies do this. I could understand if they ordered an amount of items they thought would sell but ran out of them so we had to wait. To me it seems counter-productive to show us stuff we can't buy for months. So I no longer look at videos or pictures of the stuff showcased at CHA
__________________
"I have not failed . I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas A. Edison
Barbara Jay is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Grumpygirl73 likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #163
Pearl-ExPert
 
shazsilverwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Worcestershire, England
Posts: 2,396
Default

Reading about peeves with online shopping, mine is websites that don't tell you something is out of stock, until your order arrives! There is one particular one over here, I've had it happen to me a couple of times with them- result is I don't order from them anymore. They may have changed their website by now, but I'll never know, I don't go back there.
__________________
silverwolfcards blog
My gallery
shazsilverwolf is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Grumpygirl73 likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #164
Stazon Splitcoast
 
lesliespringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Posts: 19,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
It isn't just Spellbinders. Look at the wait for the Envelop punch from We Are Memory Keepers . Remember the iTop Brad maker? How long did people wait to get a Vagabond after it was introduced? "Many" companies do this. I could understand if they ordered an amount of items they thought would sell but ran out of them so we had to wait. To me it seems counter-productive to show us stuff we can't buy for months. So I no longer look at videos or pictures of the stuff showcased at CHA
At that moment in time, standing at the Spellbinders booth at CHA, I decided no manufacturer, or design team was EVER going to get me excited EVER again about a product again.

I craft when I want, how I want, with what I want, and with what make me Happy. AND I Do Not have to have the New "In" Products That will keep me "trendy" that will Bankrupt me and make my family starve
__________________
Leslie


"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
lesliespringer is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Grumpygirl73 likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #165
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 2,500
Default

Quote:
I craft when I want, how I want, with what I want, and with what make me Happy. AND I Do Not have to have the New "In" Products That will keep me "trendy" that will Bankrupt me and make my family starve
I learned this one when I HAD to have the Fastenator (anyone remember it? Gigantic stapler with decorative staples that wouldn't fit in a regular stapler?) Oh, I have it. And I don't know if I've ever used it. Now I wait until something has been readily available for about 6 months and see if people are still crazy for it and using it. It's saved me quite a bit of $$. (The six months doesn't apply to things like new shapes of dies or new colors of inks - just to totally new products that might lose their luster rather quickly.)
__________________
~~Cheryl, with a "C"
cbet is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
RiverIsis likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #166
Glitter Guru
 
SkyNacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
It annoys me when companies introduce products at CHA and then it may be 6 months before we can buy them. I become enthused when I see the new products , but frequently I lose interest while waiting and just go on to buy something else.
I think the internet is partially to blame for this.

To my understanding, the point of CHA is to have the trade show six months ahead of time for retailers to come in, take a look, and place orders for their inventory so the wholesalers could order sufficient quantities from their manufacturers. Without wholesalers (the Crates and Basic Greys of the world) promoting the stuff directly to consumers, we would be none the wiser.

But yeah, now it's all over the interwebz and you can look but you can't have, and it is really frustrating.

I hope the companies realize that my attention span is not. that. long. One of two things happens when I see some preview like that: either I forget entirely or, if I do bookmark it, three months later when I clean out my bookmarks I go "Why did I ever bookmark that? Ugh." And then invariably I go buy something else that's in stock right now.
__________________
Emily/SkyNacho ... This blog is Useless Without Pictures.
SkyNacho is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #167
Pearl-ExPert
 
nancystamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,645
Default

Here's my pet peeve, clicking on a Stampin' Up! card picture on Pinterest hoping to view a blog page with more info on how to make it, only to land on the home page of Stampin' Connection, which I don't have access to.
__________________
see what nancystamps...
nancystamps is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #168
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
... Also, He has a "retreating" hairline, instead of receding. .
I'm sure you're correct in thinking the speaker doesn't realize that he's using the wrong word, but I think there is a certain appropriateness about his statement -- his hairline has retreated to the back of his head. ...
Dea
StamperDea is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
buggainok likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #169
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator
 
Cook22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 69,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholeC View Post
My pet peeve is that I have a bunch of stamp sets that I just can't get rid of. The only people who get the value of my NUM, retired sets are demos who don't want them because they can't use retired sets. "Normal" crafters don't want to pay more than $2 for a set with 6 or 8 stamps in it.
I must not be a normal crafter, then , because I quite happily pay $15 -$20 dollars, plus eBay shipping,for used SU sets. I'd probably go up to $25 for NUM if it was in line with the original price.
Cook22 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #170
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: S. Minnesota
Posts: 474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post
I must not be a normal crafter, then , because I quite happily pay $15 -$20 dollars, plus eBay shipping,for used SU sets. I'd probably go up to $25 for NUM if it was in line with the original price.
Maybe I just have unpopular sets that nobody wants. I also don't know how to sell on ebay, so where i'm listing them probably has something to do with it too.
NicholeC is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #171
Die Cut Diva
 
stampencamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,295
Default

agree, a pet peeve; I just save other SU blog sites to my bloglovin reader site, instead.



Quote:
Originally Posted by nancystamps View Post
Here's my pet peeve, clicking on a Stampin' Up! card picture on Pinterest hoping to view a blog page with more info on how to make it, only to land on the home page of Stampin' Connection, which I don't have access to.
__________________
Carolyn


my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
stampencamper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #172
Die Cut Diva
 
stampencamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,295
Default

another recent pet peeve-catalogue demo lines that offer a product, then it's on back order until who knows how long. The demo probably has her money, the company has their money; and the customer has nothing to show, but wait for a purchase, she has paid for in full...........
__________________
Carolyn


my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
stampencamper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
tigerlily55 likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #173
Pearl-ExPert
 
tigerlily55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,932
Default

SU calls theirs Photopolymer stamps. The rest of the world calls them Clear Stamps. SU calls theirs Clear Mount. The rest of the stamping world calls them unmounted.

I love SU for lots of reasons but when they're behind trends and playing catch-up, they seem to try and make their version unique by using different terms. Again, they are WAY behind with the Washi Tape but somehow they are "introducing" it as something new.
__________________
Martha

tigerlily55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
MrsStack79 likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #174
Stazon Splitcoast
 
buggainok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 10,184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StamperDea View Post
I'm sure you're correct in thinking the speaker doesn't realize that he's using the wrong word, but I think there is a certain appropriateness about his statement -- his hairline has retreated to the back of his head. ...
Dea
You are right - it is wrong and yet appropriate. Our family has gotten to saying "retreating" hairline, tongue in cheek, as a funny line.
__________________
Bugga in OK

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
buggainok is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #175
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Bahb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholeC View Post
"Normal" crafters don't want to pay more than $2 for a set with 6 or 8 stamps in it.
I just paid $20 for NUM Riot of Petals, one stamp, including postage! The number of stamps hasn't alot to do with the issue, because so many stamps in a set are gratuitous ones many stampers might never use. I buy used stamps often, and when I expect to pay a low price for a set it's because I can live without it and no one else wants it or they would be bidding more. If you don't want to sell that low, it's fun to go to the Play It Forward thread on the General Stamping Forum. You can give the set away there and pick up something you want more. I picked up a VERY old SU fruit set and gave away a relatively new Mark's Finest Papers set because I knew it was worth it to me. But it's not like you trade. Your conscience is your guide and the group that hangs there is fun.

And by the way, in general, I expect to pay 50-70% of the SU stamp sets' original value, and NUM has NO attraction that I can think of. But I've paid way over original value more times than I would like to admit, when I was new and didn't know how to find the original value.

Wouldn't a stamp lending library be fun?
Bahb is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
sprtchick, ceramicat1 and grateful2bsaved like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #176
Rubber Obsessor
 
Grumpygirl73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
SU calls theirs Photopolymer stamps. The rest of the world calls them Clear Stamps. SU calls theirs Clear Mount. The rest of the stamping world calls them unmounted.

I love SU for lots of reasons but when they're behind trends and playing catch-up, they seem to try and make their version unique by using different terms. Again, they are WAY behind with the Washi Tape but somehow they are "introducing" it as something new.
I can't really argue with you about the rest but, "photopolymer" is a type of clear stamp, and I am glad they make the distinction. Generally speaking, photopolymer stamps are of higher quality and are usually made in the USA or the UK. Unless a clear stamp is of a more "youthful style" that would be popular with my 15 and 13 year old stepdaughters, I steer away from the made in China "clear stamps" because I would like them to last longer. Some of the smaller stamp makers that sell what they make on Etsy refer to their stamps as photopolymer. I use it as a key word when I search there.
Grumpygirl73 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
susie718 likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #177
Pearl-ExPert
 
tigerlily55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperc98 View Post
Interesting thread! Ok, I have one pet peeve that is not crafting related (I also get annoyed with myself and how frequently I drop pieces onto the floor)...my best friend says "Supposably" instead of "Supposedly" and it drives me crazy! I don't want to hurt her feelings mentioning it though....
Irregardless instead of regardless. I know it is a word but it is considered nonstandard. Besides, my high school English teacher said the correct word is regardless so it must be correct!
__________________
Martha

tigerlily55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #178
Glitter Guru
 
SkyNacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
SU calls theirs Photopolymer stamps. The rest of the world calls them Clear Stamps. SU calls theirs Clear Mount. The rest of the stamping world calls them unmounted.

I love SU for lots of reasons but when they're behind trends and playing catch-up, they seem to try and make their version unique by using different terms. Again, they are WAY behind with the Washi Tape but somehow they are "introducing" it as something new.
Clear Mount was a bad choice on their part because it was confusing, but grumpygirl is right about "photopolymer" being a specific (and higher quality) type of clear stamp. It's descriptive of the material.
__________________
Emily/SkyNacho ... This blog is Useless Without Pictures.
SkyNacho is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #179
Pearl-ExPert
 
tigerlily55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpygirl73 View Post
I can't really argue with you about the rest but, "photopolymer" is a type of clear stamp, and I am glad they make the distinction. Generally speaking, photopolymer stamps are of higher quality and are usually made in the USA or the UK. Unless a clear stamp is of a more "youthful style" that would be popular with my 15 and 13 year old stepdaughters, I steer away from the made in China "clear stamps" because I would like them to last longer. Some of the smaller stamp makers that sell what they make on Etsy refer to their stamps as photopolymer. I use it as a key word when I search there.
Ok. I can see your point. I don't really use clear photopolymer stamps anyway, so I guess I have nothing to complain about.
__________________
Martha

tigerlily55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #180
Glitter Guru
 
SophieLaFontaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: my heart remains in France
Posts: 21,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNacho View Post
Clear Mount was a bad choice on their part because it was confusing, but grumpygirl is right about "photopolymer" being a specific (and higher quality) type of clear stamp. It's descriptive of the material.
Ah yes, that was a very mild pet peeve of mine when SU! came out with cling rubber stamps. I would always have to clarify with SU! stampers that I was talking about clear STAMPS (both the cheap silicone-like stamps AND the photopolymer) NOT clear-MOUNT stamps. But this minor pet peeve was overshadowed by the joy that now SU! WAS offering cling rubber stamps instead of only wood-mounted stamps.
__________________
Thank you all so much for all the cards for SCS member Ladybug91743 Marie-alice. She is done with chemo and surgery. She is done with radiation treatments too, and is now just focused on recovering. She loves the cards!!
SophieLaFontaine is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:37 AM   #181
Pearl-ExPert
 
shazsilverwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Worcestershire, England
Posts: 2,396
Default

I so agree with this description problem. To me, unmounted is bare rubber, cling is foam backed. Photopolymer are the best of the 'see-through' stamps, giving a good print, and long lasting. Clear are generally cheaper( though not always!), tend to 'squish' when you stamp with them, so the image is not as crisp, and have a tendency to go yellow & brittle over time. If only all companies thought the same way, lol.
__________________
silverwolfcards blog
My gallery
shazsilverwolf is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
grateful2bsaved likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #182
Rubber Obsessor
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 168
Default Had to reply; please don't *** we all no acronyms!!!!

OK, seriously, please don't assume we all know acronyms like BRAKs.What other acronyms out there make you crazy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons2 View Post
Something that hasn't been mentioned and maybe it only irritates me is people who receive BRAKs or "newbie" cards and don't take the 30 seconds required to post a very quick thank you. It doesn't bother me if you aren't crazy about my card, I just want to know that the postman/woman got it to you. Am I too sensitive?

Wanda
montessorigrandma is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #183
Glitter Guru
 
SophieLaFontaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: my heart remains in France
Posts: 21,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorigrandma View Post
OK, seriously, please don't assume we all know acronyms like BRAKs.What other acronyms out there make you crazy?
I think it stands for "birthday random act of kindness".

I get super annoyed reading a certain work-related newsletter where no one bothers to write out the entire acronym at the beginning of the article or column. There are work-related acronyms that are "PTI" and "CHF" and of COURSE when I read these, I am thinking "Papertrey!" and "Cornish Heritage Farms!" but I know that is NOT what they are, and then I get distracted and wish that I was reading a stamping-related newsletter instead. And then I get doubly annoyed when I interrupt my reading to go back to the beginning of the article to look for what those acronyms actually stand for, and then I get super annoyed when I realize that the writer never even bothered to clarify the acronym!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
__________________
Thank you all so much for all the cards for SCS member Ladybug91743 Marie-alice. She is done with chemo and surgery. She is done with radiation treatments too, and is now just focused on recovering. She loves the cards!!
SophieLaFontaine is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #184
Stazon Splitcoast
 
gregzgurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Las Vegas, baby!
Posts: 10,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
You are right - it is wrong and yet appropriate. Our family has gotten to saying "retreating" hairline, tongue in cheek, as a funny line.
One of my daughters called it a "reclining" hairline, lol! She also coined words like "yesternight" (which should TOTALLY be a real word, in my opinion).


I have an aunt that says "a-glore", when she means "galore", flips people off by using her thumb (quite the opposite of the intended message, eh?), and alternately calls me "sweetheart" and "s***head" as terms of endearment. That whole side of the family says that they can't "phantom" things that they can't "fathom" - makes for some colorful conversation and interesting family gatherings...
__________________
~ Sue
I'm blogging again: random.on purpose.
Within you there is a solitude and peace to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself...

gregzgurl is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #185
Embossing Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 67
Default

Sue - I just wanted to say that your aunt sounds awesome.
AnnieWills is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #186
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom
 
PH in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: in a virtual revolving door
Posts: 75,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzgurl View Post
One of my daughters called it a "reclining" hairline, lol! She also coined words like "yesternight" (which should TOTALLY be a real word, in my opinion).
I like "yesternight"! That's a bit like the way my son frequently says "noon-thirty" when referring to 12:30 in the afternoon.


I have a couple of peeves relating to online challenges.

From the perspective of a challenge participant: It's very discouraging when a challenge blog sets rules, but seems to ignore them when choosing their weekly winners. (As an example: the challenge rules state to use only the colors pink, yellow and any neutrals, and the winning cards show pink and yellow flowers with lush green leaves and stems.)

From the perspective of a design team member: It's very disheartening when participants don't read and follow the challenge guidelines, which can result in fabulous cards not being eligible for weekly winners voting.
__________________
Manager of CAS Colours & Sketches challenge blog
Design Team Member for
52 Christmas Card Throwdown
My Blog ~ Thinking of Inking
My SCS Gallery
PH in VA is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #187
Stazon Splitcoast
 
gregzgurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Las Vegas, baby!
Posts: 10,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieWills View Post
Sue - I just wanted to say that your aunt sounds awesome.


Yeah - pretty much! Thanks for noticing...
__________________
~ Sue
I'm blogging again: random.on purpose.
Within you there is a solitude and peace to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself...

gregzgurl is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #188
Stazon Splitcoast
 
gregzgurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Las Vegas, baby!
Posts: 10,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
I like "yesternight"! That's a bit like the way my son frequently says "noon-thirty" when referring to 12:30 in the afternoon.


I have a couple of peeves relating to online challenges.

From the perspective of a challenge participant: It's very discouraging when a challenge blog sets rules, but seems to ignore them when choosing their weekly winners. (As an example: the challenge rules state to use only the colors pink, yellow and any neutrals, and the winning cards show pink and yellow flowers with lush green leaves and stems.)

From the perspective of a design team member: It's very disheartening when participants don't read and follow the challenge guidelines, which can result in fabulous cards not being eligible for weekly winners voting.
I totally hear you on this! I used to host a challenge blog, and sometimes I was really hard-pressed to figure out how some of the cards entered into the challenge were even remotely connected! I emailed a couple of the participants to ask if they could please add a note that explained the connection, so it would be more apparent to others... Hard to know how to comment on them - on the one hand, I was grateful that they linked up at all; on the other hand, it made me wonder if they bothered to actually read the post that they linked up to!
__________________
~ Sue
I'm blogging again: random.on purpose.
Within you there is a solitude and peace to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself...

gregzgurl is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #189
Polyshrink Goddess
 
lori92760's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: northern illinois
Posts: 729
Send a message via AIM to lori92760
Default

I recently paid for a mixed media class online, not the most expensive class, around $50 and every video it was like someone rushed into her kitchen in the middle of dinner and said "come out here we are shooting a video!" she spent so much time searching for her scissors or paint or brushes or whatever. I've never shot a video but I am thinking if you are doing a video class it would be similar to having a real class and you might be somewhat prepared. I probably wont take another one of her classes.
__________________
lori b.
my gallery
"if you judge people, you have no time to love them."
lori92760 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Grumpygirl73 likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #190
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Walking the Moon, aMUSEd in funKY town
Posts: 22,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzgurl View Post
I totally hear you on this! I used to host a challenge blog, and sometimes I was really hard-pressed to figure out how some of the cards entered into the challenge were even remotely connected! I emailed a couple of the participants to ask if they could please add a note that explained the connection, so it would be more apparent to others... Hard to know how to comment on them - on the one hand, I was grateful that they linked up at all; on the other hand, it made me wonder if they bothered to actually read the post that they linked up to!
I'm convinced they don't read the post they linked. Why? because I have seen quite a few of these and they are crafters playing the odds and entering about 5+ challenges per card. I think there are even some blogs about that list current challenges, so it seems many cardmakers just wing it with a close enough.

TBH I'm just happy if I manage to make a card to fit a single challenge!

My personal pet peeve is that every once in a while a drink a coke and then I'm wide awake all night... wanna guess what I had to drink earlier yesterday now?
RiverIsis is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
sprtchick likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #191
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator
 
Cook22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 69,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
I'm convinced they don't read the post they linked. Why? because I have seen quite a few of these and they are crafters playing the odds and entering about 5+ challenges per card. I think there are even some blogs about that list current challenges, so it seems many cardmakers just wing it with a close enough.
You're really under-estimating it with 5+, LOL, that's very low on the spectrum. Think 10/12 up to 50+ and that's more like it .I must admit that sometimes I speed-read first time round and miss something, but if I make a card and I've missed something out, hey - then it doesn't fit the challenge and I won't submit it.

Quote:
TBH I'm just happy if I manage to make a card to fit a single challenge!
Sometimes I do double up - but at least I know I've made them with both challenges in mind at the time of creation!

Quote:
My personal pet peeve is that every once in a while a drink a coke and then I'm wide awake all night... wanna guess what I had to drink earlier yesterday now?
Hmmm - not a Coke, by any chance . I hope you get to sleep sometime soon.
Cook22 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #192
Stazon Splitcoast
 
gregzgurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Las Vegas, baby!
Posts: 10,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori92760 View Post
I recently paid for a mixed media class online, not the most expensive class, around $50 and every video it was like someone rushed into her kitchen in the middle of dinner and said "come out here we are shooting a video!" she spent so much time searching for her scissors or paint or brushes or whatever. I've never shot a video but I am thinking if you are doing a video class it would be similar to having a real class and you might be somewhat prepared. I probably wont take another one of her classes.
In my opinion, there is NO excuse for this! In real life you only get one shot at that particular class, but taping a video allows for "time lapse". If you can't find something, shut off the camera until you locate it - sheesh! Call me crazy, but I'd be nervous enough about making a video that I'd triple-check that I had everything ready to go before the camera rolled. Very unprofessional, if you ask me...
__________________
~ Sue
I'm blogging again: random.on purpose.
Within you there is a solitude and peace to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself...

gregzgurl is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
ceramicat1, RiverIsis, stiz2003 and 2 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #193
Gallery Gazer
 
JoBear2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 6,419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Ha Ha! I think we all have a friend like that! My friend says: " whit-ness ", instead of witness. Also, He has a "retreating" hairline, instead of receding. And my favorite, She is a "dishwasher blonde", instead of dishwater blonde.

And how many people have you heard say, "prostrate", meaning lying flat, instead of "prostate", meaning the gland men sometimes have trouble with as they get older.
Oh yes, we have a lot of people in Australia mix up prostate/prostrate too. And a lot of people say "vuNerable" instead of "vuLnerable". Even our ex-Prime Minister Julia Gillard used to say it and it made me want to throw my shoe at the TV every time I heard it LOL!
JoBear2 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
RiverIsis likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:23 AM   #194
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Walking the Moon, aMUSEd in funKY town
Posts: 22,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post
You're really under-estimating it with 5+, LOL, that's very low on the spectrum. Think 10/12 up to 50+ and that's more like it .I must admit that sometimes I speed-read first time round and miss something, but if I make a card and I've missed something out, hey - then it doesn't fit the challenge and I won't submit it.
I will still submit but I will post the caveat that I participated but messed up... sometimes it is more about playing along.

And it must be very frustrating to part of a challenge blog where people don't read the rules. I know the High Hopes blog does a challenge and they specify using their product (not unreasonable) and people still submit without even the tiniest use of their stamps. The thing is I honestly like High Hopes stamps and wish I could participate more. I think they are struggling from a change of ownership and probably need some power blog players and a better online presence.
RiverIsis is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #195
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom
 
PH in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: in a virtual revolving door
Posts: 75,275
Default

Over the weekend, I came across a blog where the owner was offering blog candy. I have no problem with that. But then below the photo of the giveaway was this note:

"Winner will be responsible for shipping cost and will be billed via PayPal emailed invoice."

I suppose that's the blog owner's prerogative, but IMO it rather takes away from the spirit of generosity...
__________________
Manager of CAS Colours & Sketches challenge blog
Design Team Member for
52 Christmas Card Throwdown
My Blog ~ Thinking of Inking
My SCS Gallery
PH in VA is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
sprtchick, stiz2003 and LRozyczko like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #196
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Bahb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
Over the weekend, I came across a blog where the owner was offering blog candy. I have no problem with that. But then below the photo of the giveaway was this note:

"Winner will be responsible for shipping cost and will be billed via PayPal emailed invoice."

I suppose that's the blog owner's prerogative, but IMO it rather takes away from the spirit of generosity...
Any chance the "candy" was something like a Cuttlebug machine? Or a huge assortment that would STILL be a great gift if you won it and had to pay the postage? Please tell me My vision of Bloggers still doesn't have one bad apple in it.
Bahb is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #197
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom
 
PH in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: in a virtual revolving door
Posts: 75,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahb View Post
Any chance the "candy" was something like a Cuttlebug machine? Or a huge assortment that would STILL be a great gift if you won it and had to pay the postage? Please tell me My vision of Bloggers still doesn't have one bad apple in it.
Sadly, no. It was a smallish clear stamp set that likely could be sent in a 5x7 envelope via first class mail for less than a dollar.
__________________
Manager of CAS Colours & Sketches challenge blog
Design Team Member for
52 Christmas Card Throwdown
My Blog ~ Thinking of Inking
My SCS Gallery
PH in VA is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #198
Matboard Maniac
 
lesleybd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Paisley, Scotland
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathBelle View Post
I totally agree Dea. I make a lot of 15 x 15cm cards and would love more embossing folders that were, say, 14 x 14cm. But most suppliers don't make them. Why not? They fit through the Big Shot. I have found a very few but would love more, I would even re-buy designs I already have in a bigger size. It is so limiting.
A 15cm x 15cm swiss dot embossing folder would change my life

I am thinking of buying Craft Too's A4 'Dottie' and cutting it down. Oooh! Scary stuff!

Lesley

Last edited by lesleybd; 09-03-2013 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: typo
lesleybd is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #199
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bath, UK
Posts: 406
Default

Lesley
I have a 6" x 6" (15cm) Swiss dot embossing folder by Embossalicious. Don't know if you can get this make in US.
Ruth
BathBelle is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #200
Stampin' Fool
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,450
Default Pet peeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi G View Post
I wish all vendors would indicate stamp and die sizes. Even better, actually show the product in full size.
Amen, sister!! That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Tell me how large it is or show the product next to a ruler or some other item that would indicate the size of the product. Please.

Jutta
jutta is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
RiverIsis, klh54 and stiz2003 like this post.
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off