Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree823Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #161
Hardware Hotshot

loosing google reader was disappointing. But, like life, everything changes. I do have a present pet peeve of 'party line plans' that charge expensive shipping fees, and tax on shipping fees; and you have to go to pick up your order from the demo. the companies have to make a ton on shipping charges; they charge everyone and send a box to one household. Online companies that don't show shipping charge, or clarify, also that the shipping is spendy because it's another country or whatever the reason; until you get through the whole purchase process.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
westiemom and Grumpygirl73 like this post.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #162
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to lori92760
Default i'm so lame

what the heck is a reader?

i use my laptop, my desktop or my phone and read my email from there.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #163
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori92760 View Post
what the heck is a reader?

i use my laptop, my desktop or my phone and read my email from there.
Okay, I don't use one, but I do know what they are - it's a program that you use to consolidate all the blogs that you read, so instead of using 37 bookmarks, it all is in a nice little digest. And only new posts show up, so you don't click on 37 different bookmarks only to find that 23 of them don't have new posts.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #164
Insane Embellisher

thanks cheryl. i always think i am rather high tech, but i guess thats in my own mind. or compared to my 87 yr old mother, i am a freaking rocket scientist.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #165
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
A blog is the best way to demonstrate your abilities to a potential design team. Most people with craft blogs have them so they can share their creations in one place. Not necessarily as a diary of their life.
Just another example of my computer illiteracy!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #166
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori92760 View Post
thanks cheryl. i always think i am rather high tech, but i guess thats in my own mind. or compared to my 87 yr old mother, i am a freaking rocket scientist.
Compared to my 70-year old mother, I am also quite the genius. However, compared to my 25-year-old computer geek son, I am barely out of the dark ages
cjzim, homestead, JoBear2 and 4 others like this post.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #167
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post

My pet peeve at the moment is getting used to another Reader. I was just coming to terms with Google Reader (yeah I know I'm behind the times!) and now I'm trying Feedly.
I am not transitioning well either. I'm using bloglovin, since it allows me to read blogs in a regular browser window. I'm not lovin' it though. I'm hoping something better comes along.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 06-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #168
Insane Embellisher

well I guess I better ask one of my all knowing twenty somethings to hook me up!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #169
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Quote:
I am not transitioning well either. I'm using bloglovin, since it allows me to read blogs in a regular browser window. I'm not lovin' it though. I'm hoping something better comes along.
Have you tried The Old Reader?
It's lost a couple of my feeds that weren't actually RSS, but the interface is very much like the older Google Reader, and I'm finding it a very good substitute, if a trifle slow at loading pages. But I think that's possibly because they're still getting unusual volumes of traffic because of people moving over, so their servers could be running at capacity. When I moved over, about six weeks ago, it took possibly 5 or 6 days before all my feeds were transferred! I kept checking, but at least it showed my place in the queue.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #170
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post
Have you tried The Old Reader?
It's lost a couple of my feeds that weren't actually RSS, but the interface is very much like the older Google Reader, and I'm finding it a very good substitute, if a trifle slow at loading pages. But I think that's possibly because they're still getting unusual volumes of traffic because of people moving over, so their servers could be running at capacity. When I moved over, about six weeks ago, it took possibly 5 or 6 days before all my feeds were transferred! I kept checking, but at least it showed my place in the queue.
I looked at it but it doesn't have the option, or I couldn't find it, to read blogs in a regular browser. What I want is the old Google Reader way where you get the "next" button on your links bar. The blogs are all each in the browser, one at a time, and you click next to go to the next unread post. Bloglovin is like this but leaving comments sometimes messes up the frame and I have to go back to the bloglovin site and start again.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #171
Rubber Obsessor

Sabrina, I have The Old Reader and have tried to subscribe to notimetostamp.blogs.splitcoaststamper.com
I am told that it is dead feed and there have never been any posts which is untrue. Do you have splitcoaststampers.com blogs in your feeds? Is there some way I can add these type do you know? TIA
Old 06-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #172
Matboard Maniac

My pet peeve is that I have a bunch of stamp sets that I just can't get rid of. The only people who get the value of my NUM, retired sets are demos who don't want them because they can't use retired sets. "Normal" crafters don't want to pay more than $2 for a set with 6 or 8 stamps in it.
westiemom likes this post.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #173
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to caostampin

Quote:
new one. I hate when websites require you to join before you can even see what they sell.
Oh my gosh, YES! I just want to look at the clothes being offered on the site why do I have to sign up to see them? That's like the commercial on tv where you have to give a credit card before sampling. Sheesh.

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Grumpygirl73 likes this post.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #174
Stazon Splitcoast

I have only one I can think of: when you order something online it doesn't let you know how much the shipping is until you go to the checkout. Then it's too late!
I Thessalonians 5:16-18: Rejoice always, Pray without ceasing. Give thanks in all circumstances for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Diana stamps, LRozyczko and Grumpygirl73 like this post.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #175
Crimping Master

I detest sites that won't tell me postage. Usually I find you don't have to authorise paymenr so I put one or two things in and have a look. Of course if they won't tell you about postage it usually means they are expensive.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #176
Matboard Maniac

I had to chime in..my biggest pet peeve is when a blog has blog candy but you have to "follow" them..get more entries if you follow them on Pinterest, Twitter, FB and maybe name your first born child after them...it's just to much. I'm part of why people don't read my blog, bad grammar but for me it's lack of an education and when I was younger I took my kids to school and I went back home and was by myself all day so I didn't talk to anyone for years... Sorry my blog makes me happy and I don't have a lot of readers everyday and absolutely no comments but I don't worry about. I like the fact that I can take a piece of paper and transform it into something pretty and now I have a way to talk about it and save it. I live life to the fullest everyday and I truly try not to worry about materialistic things or that I'm not able to conquer the English language even though I was born in San Jose CA LOL! am I all over the place with this post yes but it was fun reading this whole thread..mainly because I'm cringing and think hey I have done that oops
Paula in GA, gregzgurl and RiverIsis like this post.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #177
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Send a message via MSN to zipperc98

Interesting thread! Ok, I have one pet peeve that is not crafting related (I also get annoyed with myself and how frequently I drop pieces onto the floor)...my best friend says "Supposably" instead of "Supposedly" and it drives me crazy! I don't want to hurt her feelings mentioning it though....
sprtchick and LRozyczko like this post.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:27 AM   #178
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiyanne1 View Post
I had to chime in..my biggest pet peeve is when a blog has blog candy but you have to "follow" them..get more entries if you follow them on Pinterest, Twitter, FB and maybe name your first born child after them...it's just to much. I'm part of why people don't read my blog, bad grammar but for me it's lack of an education and when I was younger I took my kids to school and I went back home and was by myself all day so I didn't talk to anyone for years... Sorry my blog makes me happy and I don't have a lot of readers everyday and absolutely no comments but I don't worry about. I like the fact that I can take a piece of paper and transform it into something pretty and now I have a way to talk about it and save it. I live life to the fullest everyday and I truly try not to worry about materialistic things or that I'm not able to conquer the English language even though I was born in San Jose CA LOL! am I all over the place with this post yes but it was fun reading this whole thread..mainly because I'm cringing and think hey I have done that oops
I don't mind following a blog (I don't read every blog I "follow" on a regular basis anyway) and I will "like" someone's facebook, since I can choose not to have their posts show up on my newsfeed, but I draw the line at following on pinterest. You can't pick and choose who you see on your pinterest feed and sometimes the bloggers have boards that I have no interest in whatsoever. Like clothes, fashion, makeup, hot guys (well I do have some interest in those), baby gear, etc.

That said, the reason for giving things away is to increase traffic to your blog and possibly your other 'pages' like facebook, pinterest, etc so it doesn't bother me that they require these for additional entries. I figure if I don't want to do any of them, I just won't be in the running to get a freebie.

RiverIsis and Grumpygirl73 like this post.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:34 AM   #179
Mad Swapper

Hi Gale - You can somewhat manage who and what you see on Pinterest. You can follow specific people, so you get only their pins in your feed. You can also unfollow certain boards of theirs if you are not interested. I have a few stampers that I follow, but I unfollow boards that do not interest me (tattoos, fashion, Magnolias, etc.). It's not fool proof, but it does limit things somewhat.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #180
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperc98 View Post
Interesting thread! Ok, I have one pet peeve that is not crafting related (I also get annoyed with myself and how frequently I drop pieces onto the floor)...my best friend says "Supposably" instead of "Supposedly" and it drives me crazy! I don't want to hurt her feelings mentioning it though....
Ha Ha! I think we all have a friend like that! My friend says: " whit-ness ", instead of witness. Also, He has a "retreating" hairline, instead of receding. And my favorite, She is a "dishwasher blonde", instead of dishwater blonde.

And how many people have you heard say, "prostrate", meaning lying flat, instead of "prostate", meaning the gland men sometimes have trouble with as they get older.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

Last edited by buggainok; 06-30-2013 at 09:10 AM..
JoBear2, DianeinSparks and Grumpygirl73 like this post.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #181
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTracy View Post
Hi Gale - You can somewhat manage who and what you see on Pinterest. You can follow specific people, so you get only their pins in your feed. You can also unfollow certain boards of theirs if you are not interested. I have a few stampers that I follow, but I unfollow boards that do not interest me (tattoos, fashion, Magnolias, etc.). It's not fool proof, but it does limit things somewhat.
I do know that. But if I follow these people and their boards for the purpose of entering a contest, it stands to reason that they will check who is following and I will have to keep following at least long enough for the contest to be over. Then I would probably never remember which people and which boards I wanted to unfollow.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #182
Crimping Master

Bugga, I live with one of those - weary instead of wary (and he loves to use the word )
buggainok likes this post.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #183
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoffeeKat View Post
Bugga, I live with one of those - weary instead of wary (and he loves to use the word )
Okay, lol. Pet Peeves about significant others is a whole 'nother thread. I could add a few for sure. But they have their redeeming qualitities, right?

RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #184
Crimping Master

Couldn't keep them around otherwise.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #185
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoffeeKat View Post
I guess I say woof instead of wolf and my husband says drowding instead of drowning ..to funny! it's all about tongue and teeth getting in the darn way LOL!!!!
Old 06-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #186
Die Cut Diva

It annoys me when companies introduce products at CHA and then it may be 6 months before we can buy them. I become enthused when I see the new products , but frequently I lose interest while waiting and just go on to buy something else.
gale, lesliespringer, LRozyczko and 1 others like this post.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #187
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
It annoys me when companies introduce products at CHA and then it may be 6 months before we can buy them. I become enthused when I see the new products , but frequently I lose interest while waiting and just go on to buy something else.
I went to CHA June 2010. Intending to buy new releases of Spellbinders(that of course have been advertised for months). With my pocket full of cash, so excited, I walked up to their booth to be informed that the new releases would be out in September.

I asked why they have been advertising for so long if they were not going to be available at CHA for June. That was when I found out they were made over sea's.

It took until Feb 2011 for me to obtain these "New Releases".

Needless to say I am no longer on the "bandwagon" for Spellbinders. If I see them available. I may get them. I am now "An Equal Opportunity Die Cut Owner"

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #188
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliespringer View Post

Needless to say I am no longer on the "bandwagon" for Spellbinders. If I see them available. I may get them. I am now "An Equal Opportunity Die Cut Owner"
It isn't just Spellbinders. Look at the wait for the Envelop punch from We Are Memory Keepers . Remember the iTop Brad maker? How long did people wait to get a Vagabond after it was introduced? "Many" companies do this. I could understand if they ordered an amount of items they thought would sell but ran out of them so we had to wait. To me it seems counter-productive to show us stuff we can't buy for months. So I no longer look at videos or pictures of the stuff showcased at CHA
Old 06-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #189
Mad Swapper

Reading about peeves with online shopping, mine is websites that don't tell you something is out of stock, until your order arrives! There is one particular one over here, I've had it happen to me a couple of times with them- result is I don't order from them anymore. They may have changed their website by now, but I'll never know, I don't go back there.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #190
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:
It isn't just Spellbinders. Look at the wait for the Envelop punch from We Are Memory Keepers . Remember the iTop Brad maker? How long did people wait to get a Vagabond after it was introduced? "Many" companies do this. I could understand if they ordered an amount of items they thought would sell but ran out of them so we had to wait. To me it seems counter-productive to show us stuff we can't buy for months. So I no longer look at videos or pictures of the stuff showcased at CHA
At that moment in time, standing at the Spellbinders booth at CHA, I decided no manufacturer, or design team was EVER going to get me excited EVER again about a product again.

I craft when I want, how I want, with what I want, and with what make me Happy. AND I Do Not have to have the New "In" Products That will keep me "trendy" that will Bankrupt me and make my family starve

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #191
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I craft when I want, how I want, with what I want, and with what make me Happy. AND I Do Not have to have the New "In" Products That will keep me "trendy" that will Bankrupt me and make my family starve
I learned this one when I HAD to have the Fastenator (anyone remember it? Gigantic stapler with decorative staples that wouldn't fit in a regular stapler?) Oh, I have it. And I don't know if I've ever used it. Now I wait until something has been readily available for about 6 months and see if people are still crazy for it and using it. It's saved me quite a bit of $$. (The six months doesn't apply to things like new shapes of dies or new colors of inks - just to totally new products that might lose their luster rather quickly.)
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #192
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
I think the internet is partially to blame for this.

To my understanding, the point of CHA is to have the trade show six months ahead of time for retailers to come in, take a look, and place orders for their inventory so the wholesalers could order sufficient quantities from their manufacturers. Without wholesalers (the Crates and Basic Greys of the world) promoting the stuff directly to consumers, we would be none the wiser.

But yeah, now it's all over the interwebz and you can look but you can't have, and it is really frustrating.

I hope the companies realize that my attention span is not. that. long. One of two things happens when I see some preview like that: either I forget entirely or, if I do bookmark it, three months later when I clean out my bookmarks I go "Why did I ever bookmark that? Ugh." And then invariably I go buy something else that's in stock right now.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #193
Gabfest Goddess

Here's my pet peeve, clicking on a Stampin' Up! card picture on Pinterest hoping to view a blog page with more info on how to make it, only to land on the home page of Stampin' Connection, which I don't have access to.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #194
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
... Also, He has a "retreating" hairline, instead of receding. .
I'm sure you're correct in thinking the speaker doesn't realize that he's using the wrong word, but I think there is a certain appropriateness about his statement -- his hairline has retreated to the back of his head. ...
Dea
buggainok likes this post.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #195
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholeC View Post
My pet peeve is that I have a bunch of stamp sets that I just can't get rid of. The only people who get the value of my NUM, retired sets are demos who don't want them because they can't use retired sets. "Normal" crafters don't want to pay more than $2 for a set with 6 or 8 stamps in it.
I must not be a normal crafter, then , because I quite happily pay $15 -$20 dollars, plus eBay shipping,for used SU sets. I'd probably go up to $25 for NUM if it was in line with the original price.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #196
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post
I must not be a normal crafter, then , because I quite happily pay $15 -$20 dollars, plus eBay shipping,for used SU sets. I'd probably go up to $25 for NUM if it was in line with the original price.
Maybe I just have unpopular sets that nobody wants. I also don't know how to sell on ebay, so where i'm listing them probably has something to do with it too.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #197
Hardware Hotshot

agree, a pet peeve; I just save other SU blog sites to my bloglovin reader site, instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancystamps View Post
Here's my pet peeve, clicking on a Stampin' Up! card picture on Pinterest hoping to view a blog page with more info on how to make it, only to land on the home page of Stampin' Connection, which I don't have access to.

friends fat"
Old 07-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #198
Hardware Hotshot

another recent pet peeve-catalogue demo lines that offer a product, then it's on back order until who knows how long. The demo probably has her money, the company has their money; and the customer has nothing to show, but wait for a purchase, she has paid for in full...........

friends fat"
tigerlily55 likes this post.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #199
Pearl-ExPert

SU calls theirs Photopolymer stamps. The rest of the world calls them Clear Stamps. SU calls theirs Clear Mount. The rest of the stamping world calls them unmounted.

I love SU for lots of reasons but when they're behind trends and playing catch-up, they seem to try and make their version unique by using different terms. Again, they are WAY behind with the Washi Tape but somehow they are "introducing" it as something new.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #200
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by StamperDea View Post
I'm sure you're correct in thinking the speaker doesn't realize that he's using the wrong word, but I think there is a certain appropriateness about his statement -- his hairline has retreated to the back of his head. ...
Dea
You are right - it is wrong and yet appropriate. Our family has gotten to saying "retreating" hairline, tongue in cheek, as a funny line.