Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree823Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #121
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to lori92760

i guess there is not too much that chaps me. part of it is because i am menopausal and i cant remember what it was i was supposed to be upset about. i rarely use capitals---just too lazy to press the shift key and frankly i don't like the way they look. i know that freaks some people out. i sent an email to someone at church and she became permanently offended that i did not capitalize her name, i don't capitalize mine either, but i am guessing i didn't have to say "get over yourself" not nice! (sorry, exclamation point)

now those 40% coupons that michaels has every freakin day, but under no circumstances can you not present your coupon. a few weeks back i was in my local michaels buying yet more wedding stuff and their internet connection is terrible, so i couldn't get a coupon to pull up on the michaels app. oh no way could they let this go. they called a manager who suggested i go out to the parking lot in the pouring (i mean pouring) rain and get it to pull up and then come back in with it. the most expensive thing i had was $5 so i was going to save a whopping $2. i declined the offer to go get soaking wet and just bought my stuff and left. still i find it more funny than anything else. i am an office manager and i would never let this fly in my shop, but.....

also i only use apostrophes sporadically. not because i don't know where they go, but because i don't really care and its and extra key stroke! (sorry, again)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #122
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori92760 View Post
i rarely use capitals---just too lazy to press the shift key and frankly i don't like the way they look. i know that freaks some people out. i sent an email to someone at church and she became permanently offended that i did not capitalize her name, i don't capitalize mine either, but i am guessing i didn't have to say "get over yourself" not nice! (sorry, exclamation point)
Bah. I'd rather you skipped capital letters than wrote in all caps.
MSBetsyZ, LMcAree, ceramicat1 and 1 others like this post.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #123
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafts View Post
One website irritation is when there's a small product photo with a magnifying glass to zoom it. Click on the icon, wait for the pop-up window to load . . . and it's the same small photo again.
Or in some cases, even smaller!!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #124
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelladcrockett View Post
...... One of my peeves is how so many large companies and popular challenge blogs do not use direct links to their designers in their posts......if I have to search an individual's blog for a particular post, I usually just forget it. It doesn't take long to edit a post after it goes live.....or there is always the option of using permalinks.........

One of my biggest pet peeves is with myself......when I am crafting, if I didn't drop everything on the floor, I might be able to get something done!!!
Oh yes, I agree Angella about not getting a direct link to the project esp. when it's a sneak peaks of new releases. And often the DT members are on several DTs so to actually find their card using the new product is so tedious that I give up in frustration. I think it's counter-productive to the company's business. I thought it was just me who got annoyed about it.

I concur re the biggest pet peeve is with myself dropping things on the floor especially when it is something that has a sticky back and when it falls on the carpet, it always lands sticky side down - and gets all gummed up with carpet fibres etc. And of course, sometimes when I drop something, it disappears entirely!

I am guilty of mixing up where to put an apostrophe when you pluralise something or it is the possessive kind. It's like I have seen it done incorrectly so often that I can't figure out how to do it anymore!

My Gallery My Blog

Sometimes the smallest things take the most room in your heart - Piglet
Old 06-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #125
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBear2 View Post
Oh yes, I agree Angella about not getting a direct link to the project esp. when it's a sneak peaks of new releases. And often the DT members are on several DTs so to actually find their card using the new product is so tedious that I give up in frustration. I think it's counter-productive to the company's business. I thought it was just me who got annoyed about it.

I concur re the biggest pet peeve is with myself dropping things on the floor especially when it is something that has a sticky back and when it falls on the carpet, it always lands sticky side down - and gets all gummed up with carpet fibres etc. And of course, sometimes when I drop something, it disappears entirely!

I am guilty of mixing up where to put an apostrophe when you pluralise something or it is the possessive kind. It's like I have seen it done incorrectly so often that I can't figure out how to do it anymore!
This may help you: An apostrophe is never used to pluralize.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #126
Hardware Hotshot

Something that hasn't been mentioned and maybe it only irritates me is people who receive BRAKs or "newbie" cards and don't take the 30 seconds required to post a very quick thank you. It doesn't bother me if you aren't crazy about my card, I just want to know that the postman/woman got it to you. Am I too sensitive?

Wanda
Scrapjanny, Cook22 and Juble like this post.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #127
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons2 View Post
Something that hasn't been mentioned and maybe it only irritates me is people who receive BRAKs or "newbie" cards and don't take the 30 seconds required to post a very quick thank you. It doesn't bother me if you aren't crazy about my card, I just want to know that the postman/woman got it to you. Am I too sensitive?

Wanda
NO, you are not! I don't send/receive such cards, but I think it is only common courtesy to at least acknowledge receiving a card or gift. And it is o easy in this day of email (or a quick phone call if one is not on line). Seems this has been left off the list of manners these days.
PH in VA, Scrapjanny and dillyb5 like this post.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #128
Matboard Maniac

Default Embossing folder pet peeve

One of my pet peeves is an A2 embossing folder where the embossed area is too small to cover the entire front of an A2 card with the embossing going all the way to the edge. If I want the embossed layer matted, I can always trim the edges. But at least give me the option of matting or not matting.
Dea
Old 06-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #129
Matboard Maniac

I totally agree Dea. I make a lot of 15 x 15cm cards and would love more embossing folders that were, say, 14 x 14cm. But most suppliers don't make them. Why not? They fit through the Big Shot. I have found a very few but would love more, I would even re-buy designs I already have in a bigger size. It is so limiting.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #130
Hardware Hotshot

I just found this link and I agree with a lot of the things on here as well. I was informed by the owners of this group that if I post my "blog" I have to post a direct link to that card and some other rules which is fine, one of you nice persons helped me by sending me the URL thing to use for my blog each time, thank you!! I try on my blog to post direct links to stamps etc except sometimes I don't on the Spellbinders dies because so many places sell them but I try and post which ones I used. I keep the URL for my blog in my word program and each time I post a link I go in and change it to the appropriate link and then you can use the little link thing on SCS posting. If anyone would like to have this link email me at jkwallace@mchsi.com and I will share it with you also. I appreciate all the help I've been given by so many members on this group, I had never used anything like this forum before and it was overwhelming to start with, LOL I will also say I have stopped ordering from many companies that charge $6 and up for one clear set of stamps and they don't even send them 2 day priority, it takes 7 days to get them in the US, way too expensive. Thanks, Karen W
DianeinSparks likes this post.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:19 AM   #131
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StamperDea View Post
One of my pet peeves is an A2 embossing folder where the embossed area is too small to cover the entire front of an A2 card with the embossing going all the way to the edge. If I want the embossed layer matted, I can always trim the edges. But at least give me the option of matting or not matting.
Dea
I'm with you!! I try to scoop up the larger folders when I see them now because of this. I've been trying to do more CAS one layer cards, but I have to cut them smaller than A2 if I want to emboss the front of the card.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #132
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBear2 View Post
Maybe we're twins separated at birth? Of course, I usually find dropped things after I step on them or roll the wheel of my chair over them. Sigh.
Dea
JoBear2 likes this post.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #133
Crimping Master

This thread has been quite amusing. Lots of things here that do annoy me but I can forgive most of them as people doing their best to master technology that keeps changing.

Probably my biggest peeve is the postage that keeps on giving. I know there are boxes in the US that you can put heaps in for a set price. Just because I am overseas, don't think I am naive enough to buy your cheap goods so you can make a profit on postage.

Soundtracks that play when I open a page I often surf when everyone else is asleep. Sometimes I forget to turn off the sound from a previous visit to YT or something and you can guess the rest.

Expensive products that don't work well/as described: Crooked trimmers (everyone's fave), dies that are called 'rose' (and no picture on the pack) that don't look anything like a rose, that kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzytobi View Post

1)Crafters who toot their own horn: "Just got happy mail!!!" "Just featured on SCS Facebook page!!!" "Just got pinned by (company name here)" "Just got married!!" lol... Maybe not the last one - that one's okay. But the rest just irks me. I mean, I do those things too, but I guess I don't need to shout it from the rooftop every time it happens..
Sorry, can't completely agree with this one. Depends on where it is I guess and how often the person does it.

I've won three prizes in a decade of papercrafting - I'm just not that good. If I win something, or was featured somewhere, I'm over the moon and I have to share with my friends (and that is what I consider the SCSers to be). But I probably wouldn't do it in the tools section, IYKWIM. In the chat with my fellow Aussies that I interact with all the time or something like that would be more appropriate.

People who post novels...like me.

No, have to say I enjoy reading the novels as much as everything else.
LRozyczko likes this post.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #134
Crimping Master

Wallah or wal-lah is driving me nuts. violá

I have always been a spelling nut.
Tesserae and Grumpygirl73 like this post.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #135
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to lori92760

oh I want to hear when people win, get published, whatever. heck when I got favorite of the week on this site, I was thrilled. I felt like sally field "they like me, they really really like me,"

but I like Christmas newsletters. I want to rejoice when your kids do awesome or at your promotion or grieve a little for you because your old dog passed. everyone is so busy, sometimes its the only catching up we do. I don't care if you brag a bit, good lord sometimes we have to pat ourselves on the back, we cant depend on others for that.
sewflake, JoBear2 and DianeinSparks like this post.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #136
Compulsive Stamper

I cant stand when products are organized exclusively by manufacturer or some other cockeyed system- if a product is attractive to me I don't really care who made it! or when a site has so many submenus that you feel like you're spending have your time clicking and/or running around in circles
LRozyczko likes this post.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #137
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathBelle View Post
I totally agree Dea. I make a lot of 15 x 15cm cards and would love more embossing folders that were, say, 14 x 14cm. But most suppliers don't make them. Why not? They fit through the Big Shot. I have found a very few but would love more, I would even re-buy designs I already have in a bigger size. It is so limiting.
Oh yes, I find that incredibly frustrating. I also make square cards and you can't run your card through your Big Shot twice because the patterns don't match up and it squashes part of what you have already embossed. I was super pleased when Crafter's Companion released a number of 6", ie: 15cm square embossing folders (and even 8" square - but they are only suitable for a larger machine). I even wrote to them to say "THANK YOU" and also asked if they could please release some Christmas designs - and they were very pleased to get the feedback. Here's hoping they do

My Gallery My Blog

Sometimes the smallest things take the most room in your heart - Piglet
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:43 AM   #138
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori92760 View Post
but I like Christmas newsletters. I want to rejoice when your kids do awesome or at your promotion or grieve a little for you because your old dog passed. everyone is so busy, sometimes its the only catching up we do. I don't care if you brag a bit, good lord sometimes we have to pat ourselves on the back, we cant depend on others for that.
I like Christmas letters too
Might be a generational thing. Younger folks keep up all year with Twitter, Facebook, etc.
24-7stamper likes this post.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #139
Stazon Splitcoast

I just thought of a pet peeve of mine that's stamping related. I really don't like when I make a wonderful card and then screw up the last step! Like stamp the sentiment crooked or I don't get my brads straight or something dumb like that.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
lazylizard, meloleary, JoBear2 and 1 others like this post.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #140
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoffeeKat View Post
violá

You know that violá is wrong, too, right?
Brenda71, Donnagwd, floyd and 1 others like this post.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #141
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstieber View Post
I just thought of a pet peeve of mine that's stamping related. I really don't like when I make a wonderful card and then screw up the last step! Like stamp the sentiment crooked or I don't get my brads straight or something dumb like that.
I think lots of us have done that. The funniest one I ever heard was a gal who had worked so hard on a beautiful wedding congrats card - lots of layers, embossing, embellishments, the whole works.

Then when she got ready to mail it, and signed her name inside - she spelled her own name wrong! I laughed and laughed.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 06-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #142
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to grateful2bsaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstieber View Post
Oh, I think I could probably live with stamping the sentiment crooked ... I've stamped the darn sentiment UPSIDE DOWN!
lazylizard, JoBear2 and LRozyczko like this post.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #143
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNacho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoffeeKat View Post
violá

You know that violá is wrong, too, right?
I noticed that too but thought she was being facetious, spelling voilŕ incorrectly on purpose. Maybe not?

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 06-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #144
Stazon Splitcoast

A fun thread. I loved reading everyone's posts. I've learned to be more accepting of grammatical and spelling errors over time. There are several mentioned already that bother me too. Another one that makes me cringe a bit is using "to" instead of "too".... ex: I have to much to do should be I have TOO much to do.

I use Pinterest to save card layouts, tutorials, etc. What absolutely frustrates me is when the pinner pins a photo that doesn't link back to the actual posting. When you click on the pin, you get directed to the main page of the blog. Then, it's up to me if I want to spend the time to search for the card/project to see directions and/or supply lists. On the same note, I hate blogs that do not have a "search" function.
a•muse|studio consultant #1028 Inking with Brenda Lee Blog
1 Corinthians 13:7-8
RiverIsis, JoBear2 and LRozyczko like this post.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #145
Stazon Splitcoast

One more pet peeve: I hate it when my cart empties while I'm shopping!! Yes, sometimes it takes me a good hour to check out because I shop as if I'm going down the aisles in a physical store or I get distracted and have to leave the computer. I may have an item or two that I specifically wanted, but then I go through the different categories to see what else I may want/need. While I'm shopping, my cart empties!!!! ARGH!!! Then, I have to not only go back and fill my cart again, but also remember what was IN my cart.
a•muse|studio consultant #1028 Inking with Brenda Lee Blog
1 Corinthians 13:7-8
Old 06-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #146
Matboard Maniac

Oh yes! The emptying of the cart is an EXTREMELY annoying pet peeve of mine. It it does it to me...I quit and will not complete my purchase...period!

I am not on the retail end of business so I do not know. Is it a difficult thing to program it to not empty after a certain period of time? I am curious.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #147
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree. I almost never go back and fill in a cart if it dumps me. I spend more at places that allow me to fill it over days or weeks too.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #148
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnval View Post
Oh yes! The emptying of the cart is an EXTREMELY annoying pet peeve of mine. It it does it to me...I quit and will not complete my purchase...period!

I am not on the retail end of business so I do not know. Is it a difficult thing to program it to not empty after a certain period of time? I am curious.
The best e-tailers have what they call "persistent cart". It remembers what is in your cart (let's say you get interrupted and come back on another visit) even if you did not log in. If it is emptying after a set time period not only is that very amateurish, but indicates they might have server space concerns. In any case they blocked "conversion" on your session so they should be concerned. (Conversion is 'converting your web visit from simply browsing to a purchase.)
Old 06-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #149
Forum Fanatic

Speaking of grammar, how about using "of" when it's supposed to be "have". That's a really common one.

meloleary and LRozyczko like this post.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #150
Forum Fanatic

new one. I hate when websites require you to join before you can even see what they sell.

lazylizard, gregzgurl, StamperDea and 2 others like this post.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #151
Stazon Splitcoast

Love this thread. Most of my peeves have been addressed.

I will say that the one about SCS not being the place for politics/religion is wrong. There are sections for that. TBH I probably have spent more time discussing politics and religion here in the Current Events section than I have card making.

Apologies in advance for alot and my brain hiccup on it's vs its... I have really tried to learn the its vs it's rule and it just escapes me. I think it is ok and the world won't come to an end if I continue to get it wrong. Really, it's ok.
CraftyMel2 likes this post.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #152
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
Love this thread. Most of my peeves have been addressed.

I will say that the one about SCS not being the place for politics/religion is wrong. There are sections for that. TBH I probably have spent more time discussing politics and religion here in the Current Events section than I have card making.

Apologies in advance for alot and my brain hiccup on it's vs its... I have really tried to learn the its vs it's rule and it just escapes me. I think it is ok and the world won't come to an end if I continue to get it wrong. Really, it's ok.
That's a tricky one. It's is used for the contraction and not for the possessive. So, if you can say "it is" in place of the word, then put in the apostrophe. Otherwise you need the possessive, which in this case does not use an apostrophe. HTH. English is such a confusing language!
Grumpygirl73 likes this post.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #153
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm going to add one that I hope is not considered churlish on my part. There was a card highlighted on SCS facebook (I don't want to be too specific) where every element was taken off an invitation. TBH I had issues with it. Don't get me wrong, I don't have issue with taking 1 or 2 elements off a card, however this was more like 5/6 large elements and basically just adhering them onto another base to send back to the sender. It just left me wondering if the recipient was thinking "what the heck". I like to personalize cards and make them specifically for the recipient. So I really get that part. I just don't know if a person would actually appreciate getting basically the same card back that they sent. Then again, I not certain that the people I personalize cards for actually appreciate them either!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #154
Polyshrink Goddess

Wallah makes me insane! Especially being from Canada with French being an official language! It's not often I stick up for French but wallah makes me crazy!

As for bloggers who only send out part of a post and you have to click to see the rest, by blog reader or email... I thought I'd clarify that. I'm one of those. If i send out the whole post, no one has any reason to actually visit my blog. This means my blog hits counter never goes up.

If an author is using the counter to prove enough people visit the blog to make it attractive to a design team, she needs those hits!! That's why I do it anyway. The choice has been much debated and I've tried it both ways, sending out only part seems to work best. If it drives you that crazy and you get email updates, you could try emailing the blogger. There is a way, on some sites anyway, to enter emails in manually so the recipient gets the whole post. That's how my BFF gets my posts. She nearly had a heart attack when inexplicably she stopped getting my posts and I signed her up the other way. HATED IT! Now she gets the whole thing and is happy!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #155
Forum Fanatic

I understand WHY people do it (truncated posts). It's still annoying. There's actually another reason too-it has something to do with hijacking of a blog but I can't remember the specifics. I'll see if I can find it.

Either way, if I'm using a reader (which I rarely do anyway but others do a lot) if a blog post is shortened I won't bother.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #156
Forum Fanatic

Here it is
Sew Many Ways...: Truncating My Blog...I Hope You'll Stay With Me

Old 06-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #157
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Ednie View Post
Wallah makes me insane! Especially being from Canada with French being an official language! It's not often I stick up for French but wallah makes me crazy!

As for bloggers who only send out part of a post and you have to click to see the rest, by blog reader or email... I thought I'd clarify that. I'm one of those. If i send out the whole post, no one has any reason to actually visit my blog. This means my blog hits counter never goes up.

If an author is using the counter to prove enough people visit the blog to make it attractive to a design team, she needs those hits!! That's why I do it anyway. The choice has been much debated and I've tried it both ways, sending out only part seems to work best. If it drives you that crazy and you get email updates, you could try emailing the blogger. There is a way, on some sites anyway, to enter emails in manually so the recipient gets the whole post. That's how my BFF gets my posts. She nearly had a heart attack when inexplicably she stopped getting my posts and I signed her up the other way. HATED IT! Now she gets the whole thing and is happy!
Because I don't have one, I guess I don't know the purpose of a Blog. i thought it was an electronic log or diary. I did not know it was meant to attract attention for reason of getting on a DT or acquiring hits. Guess I know why I don't have one now, besides not having enough time to keep one up. Besides I'm not really interested in keeping a log for myself and can't think of anyone else who would care if I did.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #158
Forum Fanatic

A blog is the best way to demonstrate your abilities to a potential design team. Most people with craft blogs have them so they can share their creations in one place. Not necessarily as a diary of their life.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #159
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlee717 View Post
One more pet peeve: I hate it when my cart empties while I'm shopping!! Yes, sometimes it takes me a good hour to check out because I shop as if I'm going down the aisles in a physical store or I get distracted and have to leave the computer. I may have an item or two that I specifically wanted, but then I go through the different categories to see what else I may want/need. While I'm shopping, my cart empties!!!! ARGH!!! Then, I have to not only go back and fill my cart again, but also remember what was IN my cart.
This one gets me also. I took the time to email the company and their attitude about it was horrible. So I never spent any money there and took my hard earned $200 to a company that lets it stay in my cart. One thing I wish I would have done is emailed a copy of my receipt to the 1st company.

Marcie
sprtchick and Grumpygirl73 like this post.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #160
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I understand WHY people do it (truncated posts). It's still annoying. There's actually another reason too-it has something to do with hijacking of a blog but I can't remember the specifics. I'll see if I can find it.

Either way, if I'm using a reader (which I rarely do anyway but others do a lot) if a blog post is shortened I won't bother.
Thanks for the info and for finding the blog. I always wonder how they did that. It doesn't particularly bother me because I love using a reader and if I want to know more and/or comment I will click on the blog anyway.

My pet peeve at the moment is getting used to another Reader. I was just coming to terms with Google Reader (yeah I know I'm behind the times!) and now I'm trying Feedly.