Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perfect Layers vs Spellbinbers new A2 Mat Dies

I have read many threads about perfect layers but have never bought them. Now Spellbinders has come out with A2 nesties and tempted to buy them. I have read the product review on these. Then I have to ask myself if I really need either or both. As a rule I don't have any problem cutting my layers with my Carl cutter. My problem is getting them glued on straight and don't think either of these products will cure that problem. Also have to ask myself if I want to get my Big Shot out everytime I make a card, (acutally it sits on floor beside my table.) Seems like it would be a cumbersome process to cut a few layers for one card. Maybe if I was making lots of same card the Spellbinder dies would make more sense. Not wild about cutting with xacto knife either which I believe you do with Perfect Layers.

Not to mention the Spellbinders is a large investment, $60 if you buy both sets. Then there are a couple other sets made to go with the A2 basic sets.

Your input please. What are your thoughts?

Thank you, Suzie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perfect Layers will totally solve the problem of getting your layers glued on straight. You glue down your top layer and then use the Perfect Layers tool to cut around the next layer. It's impossible to not get it straight and centered.

I hesitated before buying the Perfect Layers because I thought they were expensive and, like you, I was pretty good at cutting with my cutter. I finally got them and I have not been sorry for a moment. I was lucky in that I was able to get just the 2 "smallest" ones - they usually come as a set of three, but somewhere, maybe Overstock or Amazon, had a set of two - and it's great. I didn't need the largest increments because I don't scrap, I just do cards.

I have looked at those Spellbinders card maker sets. They do look very interesting. But a different animal than Perfect Layers.

As for cutting with an exacto knife, get the Fiskars Fingertip knife. It is the easiest exacto I have ever used, very cool design and uses regular exacto blades:

Amazon.com: Fiskars Fingertip Craft Knife: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

I think you are going to find that others will agree with me on Perfect Layers. Truly a great tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Crap! You just sold me on Perfect Layers! I have to get them now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Yep, Rachelrose nailed why Perfect Layers will solve your lining up problem. The Spellbinder dies are only going to do the shapes they do - Perfect Layers will work on any straight-edged shape you start out with whether it's a square, a rectangle, parallelogram, hexagon...

I actually have the set of three Perfect Layers rulers even though I don't scrap. You can get some nice matting effects by using a really wide mat as well as a skinny one to frame a small focal point like an inchie. I've attached a sample so you can see what I mean (it was actually done before I had the PL tools and would have been so much easier with them!).

A trick to remember with an Xacto-type knife is to change the blade regularly. They're not expensive, you get a cleaner cut and it's actually safer with a good sharp blade. Don't put too much pressure on - make a couple of light passes with the blade rather than trying to cut through thicker material in one go. You'll be cutting like a pro in no time!
Attached Thumbnails
Perfect Layers vs Spellbinbers new A2 Mat Dies-babyhoundstooth.jpg  

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Where the Kookaburra's sit in the old gum tree's...
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you Rachelrose and Joanne, I too have been wondering and teetering on the edge of buying the perfect layers. You both have convinced me to get them . Oh, and Joanne, your card is beautiful, TFS it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2012, 01:38 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Okay, I got perfect layers at a rummage sale and I can't figure out how to use them. My math minded husband had no clue. I have to say he didn't try for very long.

I guess I could google how to use them. Anyone here have easy directions on using them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2012, 03:52 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

Allistamps,

Check here for our review and an instructional video on how to use the Perfect Layers tool.

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Really great card, Joanne! And look how absolutely straight that little skinny black edging mat is! You could only do that so perfectly with PLs.

Yeah, at first they look confusing, all those numbers on both sides. Watch the video. Once you get that you are looking to use it so that it has the correct increment at the top of the ruler on the side facing you, it suddenly becomes really easy.

Just post if you have any problems!

And Joanne is correct about the blades. I should go change mine right now, in fact! Thanks for reminding me!

Last edited by Rachelrose; 09-14-2012 at 06:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I bought the Spellbinders to cut out the middle of the layers to keep the weight of the card down. If I want a few layers, why waste the middle sections that are covered by the next layer on top? Then I have layering pieces for my next project. Clear as mud?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Totally clear. And an interesting idea. I have taken to using 24 lb bond on my cards for some things for the same reason - I like to layer, but don't want such a thick card. I also like to create a border by using my Nesties to make a frame on top instead of layering underneath. Sort of the same idea, but in reverse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Can you give me the item number or where to find the perfect layers in the catalog so I can order a set? Thanks.

edit: oops! Saw that this is now a direct from manufacturer item.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gosh, I think I might just grab one of these as well! I watched a video and think this will be perfect for me! Every time I try and layer myself, I always think it's off by just enough to make me crazy!!! Thanks for this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am totally sold on Perfect Layers! (see this thread: Perfect Layers Tool - and a tip by Phantom at Splitcoaststampers )

Here's a link to the Perfect Layers video:

Perfect Layers THE Essential Scrapbooking Tool

And I have another tip (ha - literally!) on X-acto blades. Most people use the #11 blade which looks like this:

Perfect Layers vs Spellbinbers new A2 Mat Dies-11.jpg

I much prefer the #16:

Perfect Layers vs Spellbinbers new A2 Mat Dies-16.jpg

It seems more stable and I think against a straight edge it's much easier to control.

Also, if you ever use things like little rhinestones that are attached by their adhesive in a line and you need to separate them, you just use the flat edge of the #16 and press down to actually cut the adhesive. And the wider "tip" is good for holding things that have adhesive (or mini glue dots) in order to place them. Hard to explain.

Anyway, options are good and most people don't realize there are different kinds of blades ;) .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

A crafting friend was nice enough to loan me her set of Perfect Layers recently, but I wasn't sure I'd really get the hang of using them. I have an aversion to using X-Acto knives, so I tried using my handheld rotary cutter. I've been really happy with the results and have been using them a lot more than I expected to. Now I'm trying to figure out which set to get for myself � I've been thinking I wouldn't use the larger measurements, but Angelnorth is making a good case for reconsidering!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for the tip on the blades. I'm going to try them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Okay, I give up!!!! Ordered a set of Perfect Layers now to wait for delivery. Not a patient person...LOL Also, ordered the free instructions which their sites says you can download after checkout. That isn't working as I see no place to select download. Will have to check with them on this. Thank you everyone for your input.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 03:13 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought the perfect layers and I they aren't for me. I wasted too much paper because I could never master the art of not having the ruler slip. I don't like to glue my layers until I'm sure that is the design I want.

I just received my A & B Nestatbility layers and I like them "so far." Perfect cut everytime and minimum wasted paper. I use my C-Thru ruler to align the layers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 04:52 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Crazysusiestamper, I would not be too worried about downloading instructions. There's a video on this site, there are videos aplenty on YouTube, and the truth is that they are actually very easy to use. Like I said, you are going to get them and they will look confusing because of the all the layer increments on both sides on both ends, but once you understand the basic idea that you work with the layer size you want on the top of the ruler on the side facing you, it is a snap. But watch the videos. I never used any written instructions. I watched a couple of videos and that was that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
And I have another tip (ha - literally!) on X-acto blades. Most people use the #11 blade which looks like this:

Attachment 257200

I much prefer the #16:

Attachment 257202

It seems more stable and I think against a straight edge it's much easier to control.

Also, if you ever use things like little rhinestones that are attached by their adhesive in a line and you need to separate them, you just use the flat edge of the #16 and press down to actually cut the adhesive. And the wider "tip" is good for holding things that have adhesive (or mini glue dots) in order to place them. Hard to explain.

Anyway, options are good and most people don't realize there are different kinds of blades ;) .
I have been using #16 blades for years. The sharp point on the #11 blade scares me.

I also use the #16 blade to attach glue dots or pearls with adhesive. In addition to the tips you mentioned I think the #16 blades stay sharp longer. With a #11 blade only the very tip is doing the cutting, but with the #16 blade the entire flat surface is doing the cutting.

Hobby Lobby sells #16 blades and they fit in any X-acto blade holder

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 09-15-2012 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted to pop in and say that since the Perfect Layers were not the tool for me...

Thanks to this thread, I just ordered the Spellbinders Creator Card dies (A2 card mats). I got one set of the plain rectangles, and a set of the polka dots. I watched tons of videos, and I think I will really love using them.

I found a good deal on ebay with free shipping. Woo Hoo!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

I love my Perfect Layers, but I am eyeing those Spellbinders Card Creators as well. As I said in my original post, I don't think they cancel each other out. I think they are two different things entirely. Perfect Layers is for layering in specific increments, period. Card Creators are A2 card elements that go together, can be layered, and some are quite beautifully embellished.

Hope you love yours, Bugga, and can't wait to see your creations with them posted to the gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks, Beate for the link! Going to check it now.

Oh my gosh! Watched the video and this is so easy! I'm pumped & have a feeling I'm going to wonder how I ever lived without PL!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 09-17-2012 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the video link! I have wondered about Perfect Layers for years now and tonight I went and bought them! woohoo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I have had Perfect Layers since they first came out years ago. In fact, I saw that they have some new ones now that I may need to get! I use them EVERY DAY. Love them. I just use a "regular" craft knife.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

I ordered the Perfect Layers Friday evening and they arrived today. I've been playing with them and they are so easy to use and my borders are even!!! Don't know what took me so long to get them. Need to replace my xacto blade though. Does anyone know if the mat in SU mat pack is self healing??
Reply With Quote Likes