Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-03-2005, 05:35 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perfect Layers Tool

I *hate* measuring and trying to cut layering pieces for my cards.

Does anyone use the Perfect Layers Tool? Is it easy to use and does it work well?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2005, 10:21 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Default /Idiot mode

Okay, I read some previous posts about the Perfect Layers...(and this is gonna sound moronic)...I *know* I was looking at this item in the catalog earlier and now I can't find it!

I feel like I'm losing my mind. I can't even find it in the index...It is called "Perfect Layers," right? Can someone direct me to the page it's on in the catalog?

TIA.:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2005, 10:32 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I feel like I'm losing my mind. I can't even find it in the index...It is called "Perfect Layers," right? Can someone direct me to the page it's on in the catalog?

Try Page 9 of the Holiday Mini.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2005, 10:34 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Stamper
Try Page 9 of the Holiday Mini.
How embarrassing. Thank you! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2005, 11:46 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I bought this and LOVE it! It is very easy to use, and as the name says, you end up with perfect layers everytime ;) !

~Jodi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2005, 01:31 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

perfect layers

for the life of me I cannot figure this thing out!!! Would someone please explain in kindergarten terms how to use this thing...Please!!

Shirley K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2005, 06:14 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I absolutely LOVE it! I'm someone who's never been able to make nice matted frames - always crooked, etc. The perfect layers tool has solved my problems!!

You get two "rulers" with four different "mat" sizes each. What this means is that there is a little ledge thingy on the ruler that you put up against the layer you're trying to mat. Then you use your xacto knife to cut and you get a perfect layer!

I hope this makes sense - I don't know how else to describe it...

lara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2005, 06:29 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

My former demo has this tool, but hers isn't SU...she let me play with it and it is so neat!! You get perfect mats every time, no matter how your image is mounted. Once you figure it out, it's very easy to use.

One tip is make sure whatever you are trying to mat is taped (or whatever adhesive you use) down to keep from sliding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2005, 07:21 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

It is very easy to use. I have the one from QVC when they first came out over a year ago. I just love it. I just used it for my circle journal page to matt all the tags from the punch kit. It was quick and easy. There are 2 see through rulers with different measurements on them. Each ruler has 4 different measurements. Make sure you use the same one each time while cutting your image unless you will get different sizes.

You need a cutting matt which I use my quilting matt which is on top of my work space and an exacto knife. You first glue down your image or tag. You then place the ruler on top of your image and where the ruler is bumped up you line that against your image. Make sure it is straight. With your left hand hold the ruler down and with your right hand you cut with the exacto knife across the ruler edge (reverse if you are left handed). Then you turn the image around and cut again doing the same exact thing until all your sides are cut evenly. Now if you want to double matt you just do this again and either use the same width you were doing or change the width. It is very quick and very easy once you get the hang of it.

I just read in the winter mini page 9 that they do not come with the matt and blade. You need to purchase these separately on page 221 of your main catalog.

Here is my circle journal layout still pending approval though.
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2005, 08:06 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I just had an opportunity to use the Perfect Layers Tool this week and I agree, it's great! Really recommend it. Definitely on my list for my big order after Jan 1st. (Looking forward to Sell-a-bration!) I like to use up my scrap cardstock, so I'm always using an odd size piece and this tool will be perfect for me for matting. Another great thing is that your piece doesn't have to have square corners, and you still can get a perfect mat.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2005, 08:25 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it helps:

Look at Ruler #1 vertically, with #1 position at the top. Now, at that end you should see 1/4" towards the left and 3/8" marking towards the right, and you'll 1/8 and 5/8" but they are reversed because they're on the opposite side. Ignore those for now.

OK, so you've glued your focal piece to a larger piece of c/s. Right? Good.

Now, slide the edge of your focal piece, underneath the ruler from the left side of the ruler, pushing it until it hits the bumper of the 3/8" marking, which is to the right. Then, run your exacto knife along the right edge of the ruler.

To get the 1/4" border, keep the ruler same side up but rotate it so #1 is upside down (located towards the bottom, and the hole for hanging it is towards the top). See the 1/4" marking to the right? Again, slide your focal image, which is layered on another sheet of c/s, underneath the ruler, pushing it all the way to the right until it hits the 1/4" bumper.

The tool *assumes* you are going to be cutting with your right hand and holding down the ruler itself with your left.

Now, if you want to use the 1/8" or 5/8" markings, you'll need to flip the entire ruler OVER, and repeat the same process for the size mat you want.

I HOPE that makes sense, but prolly clear as mud. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2005, 08:45 AM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Cutting out windows and mats

As someone else pointed out on SCS, another nice extra feature of the Perfect Layers is the ability to cut out window frames and mats by using the tool the opposite way, with the ridge resting on the outside edge of the cardstock so you are cutting towards the inside. I used the 1/2 inch edge this way to cut the one-inch wide mat layer for this card using JulieHRR's terrific Collapsible Frame:

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

You just have to mark lightly with a pencil where the corners intersect so you know where to start and stop cutting on each side. This would be great way to cut out frames for shaker windows and shadow boxes.

Linda

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2005, 10:31 AM   #13  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

I love mine.... used it for my green Christmas cards which have 2 mats behind the image.... so nice and even... FOR ONCE! Sheesh... where has this little goody been all my life????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2005, 02:51 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Thanks so much for all the replies to my Perfect Layers question! You guys were so sweet to take the time to reply to me. I have not tried your suggestions yet, but I will tomorrow!! Thanks again, at least I understand it better!

Shirley K
Reply With Quote Likes