Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #41
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I've been reading through this thread with some interest... did you all know there is a challenge for this kind of thing inside challenges... next year's starts here...

S2S Challenge 2013
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #42
Matboard Maniac

I don't want temptation so I have unsubscribed to every store possible. I must make do with what I have in the house. I have nice ink pads and markers so I won't need to buy any of that for 5+ years. I have a trac phone and only use it for emergency. I will start my own flowers and veggies from seed. I am only using cash to buy. And I will add change to the jar all week and then take that to bank. I have opened a Christmas account, remember this?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #43
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryrose View Post
Let me tell you, Pearl, I saved a boatload of money the year I finally dropped my SU demoship. Never again!
I'm considering giving up mine - I don't do workshops but I do teach classes and I tell myself that a lot of what I buy is for the classes but that's just a big fat fib.

I want to keep teaching classes but I have to figure out how to keep the cost low without a demoship. But then again, I bet I have enough to teach a year's classes and not buy one darn thing.... sad, very sad.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #44
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryrose View Post
Let me tell you, Pearl, I saved a boatload of money the year I finally dropped my SU demoship. Never again!
. We can do it!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #45
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by STYXROCKSME View Post
I don't want temptation so I have unsubscribed to every store possible. I must make do with what I have in the house. I have nice ink pads and markers so I won't need to buy any of that for 5+ years. I have a trac phone and only use it for emergency. I will start my own flowers and veggies from seed. I am only using cash to buy. And I will add change to the jar all week and then take that to bank. I have opened a Christmas account, remember this?
Excellent
Old 12-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #46
Crimping Master

For me, I don't go into Hobby Lobby, AC Moore or Michael's unless I am specifically looking for something. So I know I have saved money just not going in.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #47
Stazon Splitcoast

My last trip to Hobby Lobby cost me more than I had planned because I picked up many pieces. Now to be honest I have used everything I picked up! Not completely but I will do.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:43 AM   #48
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBlossom View Post
I'm actually feeling the opposite. I've gone so frugal for so long that it's taking the fun out of shopping altogether. I'm now trying to find the joy in getting new stuff again to spice up what's become a tad boring. Perhaps what we're all seeking isn't one extreme or the other, but balance. Healthy balance.
Being frugal for too long is just no fun. I have done it too and I would get so excited about going shopping. I am like "Ohhhh, new stash!" I am so proud of everything I buy then because it's such a luxury and treasure.

I want a healthy balance. I go to Michael's every week out of habit. It's right in my shopping area. I walk up and down the aisles looking at all the same old stuff over and over again. I never buy anything. You know it's bad when the staff asks you to help them find something for a customer, lol. I like helping but I thought maybe I need to stop shopping there.

I have a friend who goes to stamp shows and she buys Nesties three packs for $20. Even using coupons I don't get deals like that. Her stamps she buys are so beautiful. I don't have those opportunities to shop like that. I thought why don't I? If I stay out of the darn craft stores I can. All the savings can go for a weekend road trip to a stamp show. I can be around stampers, learn new techniques, visit a new town & find some new inspiring stash. I know it might be a little bit more financially but I have new memories to treasure and that means so much to me.

Tonight I went shopping. I did not go to Michaels but I did go to a different store (non-crafting) where I bought some beautiful jewelry pieces and new beads to work with. I did spend more than I usually do per week but it was my Christmas money. I can't stop looking in my box at my new stash. I am really proud of it.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 12-29-2012, 12:52 AM   #49
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiebudstamp View Post
Giving up my demonstrator status will be a BIG money saver for me this year.
I plan on giving up my cell phone when my contract expires also...then putting all that including the stamping savings towards paying off my car in 2013.
I have thought a long time about becoming a demo. Reading the new posts about demoing (sp?) has been a help. I was thinking of it again. I really love SU's stamps. I could never make my quota. I usually only want about $100 worth of items per year. I bought all the inks, markers and refills a couple of years back so I am good to go.

I don't use my cell phone either. I have one for emergency. I don't use it for anything else. I really don't like talking on the phone. Actually, I hate it. I rather send smoke signals, lol. My DH has a nice prepaid plan on his phone with data, text and talk. He does need one for his work since he drives professionally. He bought the phone outright without a contract. He said spending $500 on the phone upfront would save us more money in the long run. I am glad we went that route. Plus, he wanted a fancy phone, lol.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 12-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #50
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermom View Post
For me, I don't go into Hobby Lobby, AC Moore or Michael's unless I am specifically looking for something. So I know I have saved money just not going in.
I agree! I decided this weekend that one idea I'm going to try for 2013 is if items are coming "in" than items need to go "out" either through using it up or selling/giving/passing it on. I completed a major purge recently and it's nice to have room in drawers/bins to find items. It feels inspiring