Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #41
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoChicsCricut View Post
(I'm sure this post will get removed... no worries)This board is so confussing to me, I post a message saying that I'm hosting a Blog hop for SU demo it gets removed with 2 mins of being up because "I'm promoting" my blog/business, God FORBID ... but really someone post the private information about a company and that this board can't be bothered to remove the post.... really ..... really!
Maybe the person posting it didn't know it wasn't suppose to be posted, its fine, but if this board can remove post the way they do (I've got my post removed many many times because I didn't know all the "RULES") with every other post. That is unreal to me.
Just because it happens every year doesn't mean its RIGHT, or OK
SCS and SU are two totally separate entities. SCS has it's own set of rules (terms of service) and SU has theirs. Promoting your own business on this site is against the TOS. Posting links to catalogs before release date is against SU policy, not SCS. The poster is doing nothing wrong per SCS even if it is against SU policy. The mods can't do much about it.

I don't like it either as a rule follower but it is what it is. It happens with all the minis (not usually with the big catty since it's not available digitally usually like it was this year. I DO feel badly for those demo who end up losing sales from it being posted when it's not supposed to! I used to get my panties in a bunch over it....but that never helped Off to look at my real paper version...it's so much better!!!! Oh and play with my awesome new ink pads

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #42
Compulsive Stamper

If you read my post... I NEVER said the poster did anything wrong... and I get SCS and SU are different.... I'm not stupid!
However SCS is not respecting other companies. When they send a PRIVATE MESSAGE, that is from admins that say "It happens every year... no big deal...."
I'm not upset with the poster, I'm upset with the admins that are not removing the post and being respectful to other companies.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #43

Whoa, I'm so sorry, I did NOT mean to offend you or imply you were less than intelligent! I was simply explaining how I had recently had it explained to me.

If you read my post you'll see that I don't like having it posted either! I've gone round and round with this issue before. They are not the SU police and it's just not against SCS rules so their hands are tied.

Again, sorry if you took my post wrong, I did not mean to offend anyone...

Check out my blog

Old 05-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #44
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoChicsCricut View Post
If you read my post... I NEVER said the poster did anything wrong... and I get SCS and SU are different.... I'm not stupid!
However SCS is not respecting other companies. When they send a PRIVATE MESSAGE, that is from admins that say "It happens every year... no big deal...."
I'm not upset with the poster, I'm upset with the admins that are not removing the post and being respectful to other companies.
Wow, what a buzz kill. Minders was very nice and respectful and your post is just mean.

I used to be a SU demo and dropped a while ago. I am actually considering rejoining to get my discount back as I like so much of the new stuff.

I think it's actually good for SU that it's posted. It generates LOTS of interest in the company and products. And since you can't order until Jun 1 unless you are a demo, I'd bet quite a few people sign up as a demo just to get their hands on the new stuff. Like I said, I'm seriously considering it.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Old 05-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #45
Cardstock Collector

I haven't seen the new catalog yet (OBV) but I was at my demo's house today when she got her pre-order goodies & I'm liking what I see! The new stamp pads are awesome!!! I'm really excited about some of the new stamp sets too.
IDK how much I can say on here but there are some new Framelits & coordinating stamps coming out!!! Goody goody gumdrops!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #46
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddesigns View Post
Looks like my budget will get a break this year. Nothing in this catalog spoke to me.
After reading so many great comments about the new catty I was really excited to see it. But nothing spoke to me either, not even the new in colors for which I am usually a sucker. I think I will just stick to replenishing the core stuff that I like.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #47
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minders View Post
I DO feel badly for those demo who end up losing sales from it being posted when it's not supposed to!
Could you please explain how demos lose sales from the catalog being posted early? I truly don't know enough about demoship to connect the dots myself, and I would like to be informed. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #48
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNacho View Post
Could you please explain how demos lose sales from the catalog being posted early? I truly don't know enough about demoship to connect the dots myself, and I would like to be informed. Thanks!
The thought is that people who might have otherwise ordered from the old catalog in May will hold off because they have seen what is coming and like it better and order only new stuff in June. I don't really see it as a problem thought. Most people have a set amount that they spend and whether that is in May or in June is pretty irrelevant. I guess some people may order in May and would then order again in June when they see the new stuff, but I don't know how likely that is given the economy.

But I was never a business demo so I have nothing but my own ordering experience to back it up.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #49

Quote:
Because some people may save money they were going to spend now for when the new catalog comes out. Which in the end I supposed it all evens out sort of but the way our system works is by months and quarters. So, someone may lose out on the next level of pay for May or even a quarter (depending on when a catalog comes out) if people save their $$$ for the new catalog. We get our instant income when we make sales and then you have the chance to get more income reimbursed from SU based on monthly and quarterly sales. The more you sell, the more you get "back" from SU. It's called a volume rebate. My measly sales get me a whole $1-2 or something silly like that usually, lol!

Does that make sense? Not sure if I can explain this well

ETA: Looks like Deb was typing at the same time as me...so you got your question answered twice, ha!

Check out my blog

Old 05-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #50
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minders View Post
Because some people may save money they were going to spend now for when the new catalog comes out. Which in the end I supposed it all evens out sort of but the way our system works is by months and quarters. So, someone may lose out on the next level of pay for May or even a quarter (depending on when a catalog comes out) if people save their $$$ for the new catalog. We get our instant income when we make sales and then you have the chance to get more income reimbursed from SU based on monthly and quarterly sales. The more you sell, the more you get "back" from SU. It's called a volume rebate. My measly sales get me a whole $1-2 or something silly like that usually, lol!

Does that make sense? Not sure if I can explain this well

ETA: Looks like Deb was typing at the same time as me...so you got your question answered twice, ha!
Oh, yes, it does make sense. Thank you to you and Deb for explaining. I was thinking you meant that demos lost sales on the NEW CATALOG ITEMS and I just couldn't figure out how that could be if no one can buy the new items yet.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #51

Quote:
Oh, yes, it does make sense. Thank you to you and Deb for explaining. I was thinking you meant that demos lost sales on the NEW CATALOG ITEMS and I just couldn't figure out how that could be if no one can buy the new items yet.
Don'tcha wish we could already!!!!!???? I mean demos have the pre-order but it's NOT ENOUGH, lol! Although...I could use a good month to save my pennies

Check out my blog

Old 05-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #52
Insane Embellisher

Seeing new product early does not stop me from ordering. That being said I will not be ordering in May. I place my last SU order before the retirement lists come out. That way I don't have to worry about SU selling out of something I wanted or needed. This year I placed my last order early April. My Demo will make out in June though since there is a lot in the new catty I want. So I guess it depends on a persons finances and spending habits. Seeing the catty early is great but not the same as having a hard copy in hand. Would not stop me from looking forward to a release party either. Again, seeing things IRL and being able to touchy feely is better than looking at a computer. Can't wait to get my catty!!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #53
Matboard Maniac

For what it's worth, I was happy to see the new catty. It's helping me figure out what I want to order from the WSL list. For example, I was expecting something other than seam binding to replace the satin ribbon that's retiring. Now don't get me wrong, I love the seam binding, but I also like the satin. So now I'm going to go over what satin ribbon I have and still want for my May order. Plus, I might get some more 1/4 in grosgrain ribbon before it's gone.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #54
Stampin' Fool

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.

Seeing a new catalog early would never cause me to spend less than I planned, unless it was a dud catalog. In that case, holding the catalog until the sale date or even next year won't make want something I don't like.

On the other hand, if I see a stamp set I really like (like I did in this release), means that I'll have to start finding creative ways to save enough to buy what I want.

Unfortunately for me, seeing something I like in a new catalog does not make me stop wanting something I saw in an old catalog. I only wish it were that easy!

Unlike many other posters on this site, I am not a die hard Stampin Up gal. In fact, sometimes when I read SCS I feel like I've walked into a Stampin' Up Kool-Aid drinking party. (no offense to the SU demos!) But love or hate the products in Stampin Up catalogs, I ALWAYS appreciate Minders kind, thoughtful and detailed posts about the company and its products.

It makes me sad, a little mad and even a bit anxious, that anyone would YELL at Minders (or anyone else) on these forums, even if the anger wasn't intended to be directed at her.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #55
Polyshrink Goddess

Having been on both sides of the fence (eagerly hunting for any news from the upcoming catalog vs being on the demo side) I can see it both ways. Like Minders, I know we aren't supposed to share the online link to the catalog and try to be respectful of doing what the company asks and not to mess with other demos customers if that demo is waiting for the reveal for something special for their customers. However, I try to drop hints and descriptions that I can to my customers and followers since I know I love it too.

I think seeing the catalog too early can cause some folks who were going to order in May order in June instead (which was a bigger "demo problem" when the new catalog came out in July and so it was a loss of sales at the end of the quarter in June when people were trying to make their minimums). However, I think there is benefit to seeing it a bit early since you can realize how much you really loved that satin ribbon (sob! my favorite!!) and see what your replacement options are in SU colors and decide how much you need to stock up before it is gone.

Either way, it always gets out there early and its always a mixed bag. But I just have to say... there is some cute stuff in there, isn't there!!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydal57 View Post
Wow, what a buzz kill. Minders was very nice and respectful and your post is just mean.

I used to be a SU demo and dropped a while ago. I am actually considering rejoining to get my discount back as I like so much of the new stuff.

I think it's actually good for SU that it's posted. It generates LOTS of interest in the company and products. And since you can't order until Jun 1 unless you are a demo, I'd bet quite a few people sign up as a demo just to get their hands on the new stuff. Like I said, I'm seriously considering it.
Do it Deb!
You know you want to!
sign up now, place your pre-order and you could have some of those items in your hands on Thursday!
Just sayin' ...

Seriously though ... I'm glad you like the catty, and it's reassuring to see so many positive responses.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #57
Proud Fan Club Member

I think seeing the catalog just builds excitement and positive chatter. So far, I've only looked at it online. The graphic design of this book is absolutely gorgeous, and I'm very impressed with the offerings this time around.

Way to go SU -- you demos are going to have a great time with this one!
artwork designed for
Inky Antics

Last edited by Phantom; 05-08-2012 at 08:12 PM..
Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #58

Quote:
Way to go SU -- you demos are going to have a great time with this one!
I'm going to be having an $1100 great time. Shhh....don't tel my DH

MY JEWELRY: http://www.creativeeclectica.com/

210(200)(189) and counting...DOWN
Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #59
Stazon Splitcoast

I just finished looking thru the new
catty and will have a long list of new goodies to aquire.
Blessings.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #60
Polyshrink Goddess

I was glad to see the information on this thread. It has help clear up some of the fears I had about retired colors and the ability to purchase card stock in each color individually and not in assortment bundles. I've shopped with SU many years and this catalog is going to be one of the best I've seen in a while.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #61
Pearl-ExPert

So it doesn't look like there is a replacement for the confetti papers?
Nothing heavy weight in white for bases?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #62
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcharm View Post
So it doesn't look like there is a replacement for the confetti papers?
Nothing heavy weight in white for bases?
There will still be the "natural ivory" and the "natural white" available which may work for you.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #63
Pearl-ExPert

ohhh nice detective work, Lynne.
it is bad form for a demo to post it when specifically asked not to.

Thanks for the response, jennifer. I've always used the confetti .. will have to check out the ones you mentioned.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:48 AM   #64
Stampin' Fool

Whoa she is? I want your dective skills.. how in the world did you find that out?

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 05-09-2012 at 03:18 AM.. Reason: quoted post removed - SPR
Old 05-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #65
Stampin' Fool

I've a question because I've not "looked" yet (yeah right *rolls eyes*) maybe studied it is more like it :P

But some of the older sets that made it, have they gone to both wood & clear ? or did they stay just wood?? (mind you its early so my eyes haven't done the full focus yet )
Old 05-09-2012, 03:20 AM   #66
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Just a reminder about our site posting rules. Members may not be characterized negatively in your posts. Such posts will be removed, and repeat instances may jeopardize your account.

Splitcoaststampers Site Posting Rules

My 2014 Convention
Retreat

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 05-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by franb63 View Post
I've a question because I've not "looked" yet (yeah right *rolls eyes*) maybe studied it is more like it :P

But some of the older sets that made it, have they gone to both wood & clear ? or did they stay just wood?? (mind you its early so my eyes haven't done the full focus yet )
All the sets (except the single a la carte stamps) are available in both clear mount and wood. That includes the older sets like Lovely as a Tree and background stamps.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #68
Matboard Maniac

With all the commotion, I neglected to mention something I'm thrilled about and that is that the stamp sets that were carried forward are now available in cling mount. Yay. I had been holding off on a couple of sets because they were only available in wood. I'm happy to hear I can get them in cling mount now.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:24 AM   #69
SCS Swap Moderator

LOVE IT!!!!

That said, the leaking issue comes down to SU not doing a good job of keeping their documents protected. Surely there is a way for them to be only accessable to demos.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #70
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Queen View Post
With all the commotion, I neglected to mention something I'm thrilled about and that is that the stamp sets that were carried forward are now available in cling mount. Yay. I had been holding off on a couple of sets because they were only available in wood. I'm happy to hear I can get them in cling mount now.
I know, right?! I had a stamp set I've loved for a while but it was only available in double mounted wood, and I really hate not having the sticker to use as a placement guide; so I'm super stoked to be able to buy it in clear mount now!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #71
Proud Fan Club Member

I agree - how great that they are now all available in clear-mount version! I didn't know they were going to get it done that quickly - very smart.

And Lorien's absolutely right. It's just not SCS's responsibility to monitor SU's policies, only their own, and I think they do a great job of that (at least in part because I don't think Lydia ever sleeps ) .
artwork designed for
Inky Antics
Old 05-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #72
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by vz5dzh View Post
LOVE IT!!!!

That said, the leaking issue comes down to SU not doing a good job of keeping their documents protected. Surely there is a way for them to be only accessable to demos.

That pdf link was only shared with demos. The link was only posted on a site where you must be a demo to log in and see it. So, the fact that the link was made "public" at all, means that it came from a demo who chooses to violate a company policy.

My earlier post was removed, and I apologize if I offended anyone with my comments.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #73
SCS Swap Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblin View Post
That pdf link was only shared with demos. The link was only posted on a site where you must be a demo to log in and see it. So, the fact that the link was made "public" at all, means that it came from a demo who chooses to violate a company policy.
They should make that link secure. If they did that, it would prompt you to log in before you could view it.

If a demo was to post a link to a thread from the demo side of this site in this thread, and a non demo clicked it, you would be told you don't have permission to view it.

If I was to post a link to a website meant for employees at my work, you wouldn't be able to access it without logging in as an employee.

Yes, it is a shame that a demo shared that link when they were asked not to, but why isn't SU! taking it upon themselves to make sure it doesn't happen? Maybe they need to hire some new techie people who understand how it works. It's done all over the web.

Last edited by vz5dzh; 05-09-2012 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: Additional Info
Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #74
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Queen View Post
This makes me very happy!
I Thessalonians 5:16-18: Rejoice always, Pray without ceasing. Give thanks in all circumstances for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #75
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblin View Post

My earlier post was removed, and I apologize if I offended anyone with my comments.
This has happened for years with the mini catalogs and SU has done nothing to fix this problem. In my opinion, I think SU likes having these leaks. If they didn't then, they would have fixed the problem years ago.

For the record, I'm not and never had been a demo. I found the link to the Canadian catty on a blog and I changed the "CA" to "US" and tweaked the spelling of catalog and poof, there it was. Neither link was in any way associated to a log in.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #76
SCS RAK Coordinator
Swapper of the Month December 2012

I am in so much trouble--or my credit card is.................... this new catty is outstanding. I love the layout and all of the samples are so wonderful!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #77
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzza111 View Post
This has happened for years with the mini catalogs and SU has done nothing to fix this problem. In my opinion, I think SU likes having these leaks. If they didn't then, they would have fixed the problem years ago.

For the record, I'm not and never had been a demo. I found the link to the Canadian catty on a blog and I changed the "CA" to "US" and tweaked the spelling of catalog and poof, there it was. Neither link was in any way associated to a log in.
I found the US catty that way once a year or so ago! I agree, if they didn't want the leaks, they would fix that. I think it only goes to generate more excitement! And they aren't losing any of my sales because I saw the catty early. I place one order each month, my next order will just come from the new catty instead of the old, but I'm still spending the exact same amount I would have for the month.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #78
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzza111 View Post

SHE"S NOT BLONDE!!!!!!!!!!!! (its a joke people)

hahah good job cuz I woulda never thought to do that..
Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #79
Kookie Creator

I really like the new catalog and new product! Very exciting!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #80
Stazon Splitcoast

Minders, or anyone who might know......I see that Sweet Treats is retiring. How long are they going to have the Sweet Treat Cups available? should I order a bunch?? Thanks