Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Approach to Buying...

at least for me. After 5 years of stamping, I've finally figured out that I am better at some styles than others. So, today I decided that, regardless of how much I love a particular stamp or tool or paper or embellishment, if it doesn't fit into my styles, I'm passing on it. I think this will really help me focus my purchasing.

For example, I cannot pull off the so called "simple" one layer cards. They aren't simple -- they require a certain kind of talent that I don't have!! So, no more purchasing little stamps that work best with that style. At least not until I can really use them.

And I'm not real good with geometric stamps, most solid stamps, etc. I'm excited that I can see what styles work for me and what don't. Too bad I didn't learn this lesson many $$$$ ago!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 09:44 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for you! I finally learned something similar do NOT buy patterned paper unless I have a SPECIFIF use for it! Otherwise you end up with a 55 lbs cropper hopper full of ugly outdated paper! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonTigg
Good for you! I finally learned something similar do NOT buy patterned paper unless I have a SPECIFIF use for it! Otherwise you end up with a 55 lbs cropper hopper full of ugly outdated paper! :(
Oh man, this is TOTALLY me. I have tons of paper that at one point was really cute, but I haven't used it so now it's just plain outdated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 09:53 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lean more toward some styles (which don't really suit for the people I give/make cards for) & others are more difficult for me. I tried to do what you've done but I like variety so haven't been able to force myself into a groove. Eg 'cutsey' isn't as much me but need something 'too cute' every now & then so I do have a few. All said, I like to have a variety at hand but have decided - no more floral (I have a ton), have a nice grouping of vintage (female & general)so no more; have a nice group of kids-type; no more baby, etc. I'm now gathering a nice variety of printed papers, different embellishments, ribbons, etc that fit with the stamps I have so now I feel like I have a nice variety of things that all work together. I feel like you - it helps my focus & it's stopped some of impulse buying.
Happy stamping,
Kitty
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 09:57 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDiegoGal
Oh man, this is TOTALLY me. I have tons of paper that at one point was really cute, but I haven't used it so now it's just plain outdated.
SO glad I am not alone! Makes me feel a little better! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 09:57 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
at least for me. After 5 years of stamping, I've finally figured out that I am better at some styles than others. So, today I decided that, regardless of how much I love a particular stamp or tool or paper or embellishment, if it doesn't fit into my styles, I'm passing on it. I think this will really help me focus my purchasing.

For example, I cannot pull off the so called "simple" one layer cards. They aren't simple -- they require a certain kind of talent that I don't have!! So, no more purchasing little stamps that work best with that style. At least not until I can really use them.

And I'm not real good with geometric stamps, most solid stamps, etc. I'm excited that I can see what styles work for me and what don't. Too bad I didn't learn this lesson many $$$$ ago!!!

I think your cards are gorgeoous! Although I have made my own cards for years, I always improvised with found materials until recently. Now, I've bought regular card stock, embellishments and even a Cuttlebug! From reading all of the great hints and information on this blog, I'm learning more and more each day. Hopefully, I'll be able to create card which look as nice as yours in the future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 09:57 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Sorry Joan but I disagree! You absolutely can pull off the simple one layer cards. I love your "Just Ducky" card and the watercolored "celebrate" card is gorgeous! Face it, you have the touch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 12:06 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Good for you! I finally learned something similar do NOT buy patterned paper unless I have a SPECIFIF use for it! Otherwise you end up with a 55 lbs cropper hopper full of ugly outdated paper!

Oh thank the lord, yes this is me as well, I am now trawling through it all trying to think of ways to use it in my cards!!!!, but like you said I look at it and it isn't me anymore, he he

My blog - http://sillybirds.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 02:17 AM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Quote:

I ave come to the same conclusion, Joan....but for a little different reason. I have finally learned that I can really love lots other styles of work but that do not give me *joy* to create myself. I may or maynot be talented with it....but if I have not really enjoyed the process when completed then I just don't want to do it again. That has really helped me save money and to learn to be a smarter shopper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 02:23 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks so much for the kind words, but I still think I'm better at some than others, that's for sure (if you saw the pile of litter on my desk that was "almost" something, you'd know what I mean.

Perhaps Kitty put it best -- certain styles please ME more and are more theurapeutic for me.

Maybe we should just trade piles of patterned paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 02:54 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

For me it's border stamps. I have several and I just can't make them work like I originally wanted. I think I have 2 stamps out of the Smorgasborders set that I've actually used.

However...I just couldn't resist the bee and ladybug borders in the $1 bin at Michael's. Thankfully they only cost me a buck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 03:09 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

What a great thread. I think that whenever you start a new hobby or craft you have to take a while to find your style. I started stamping about 5 years ago and after accumulating a lot I have discovered my style a lot more. I have parted with many stamp sets over the years, buying something that I thought was cool but haven't used.

I like the thought of the therapeutic value of creating . . . looking back I can remember certain cards that when I was done I just was so happy, others, not so much.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 04:15 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Great thread Joan! It gets me thinking. I've been stamping for 20 years :shock: and I have the hardest time with the outline stamps. I just can't color them in. I try and try. My favorite stamps are 2 step stamping. It's easy and they look great! Maybe I will get the coloring down but it has been 20 years and I should probably just throw in the towel and do what I enjoy the best!

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 04:35 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I finally figured out some things this year. Do not like Asian stamps of any kind. I like cutesy, and things I can color in, not watercolor like SweetMissDaisy does.
I have also realized I cannot do kids cards (what is up with that!).
I still have to work on my patterened paper problem though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 04:35 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

This is so true! When I started scrapping almost 10 years ago, I bought everying that tickled my fancy. I somewhat did the same thing when I started stamping - it was CTMH. Then I found SU!

So yes, I have boatload of stuff that isn't my taste or style. As I'm (re)organizing my craft room, all those items go into a box to donate to the scrapbook club at my daughter's school.

Even as a demo, I've really scaled back on my mini-catalog purchaseds.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 02:55 PM   #16  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

For all of those with boatloads of patterned paper you don't want - check with your local school. Maybe your child's teacher or another teacher could use it. I often use scrapbook paper when doing crafts with my students(especially around holidays, we did those cute pinecones at Christmas). Believe me, you can never pick what the kids will like. The papers I figure they'll all fight over - nobody wants. The papers I think are downright ugly - I have to referee who gets it.
If not the local school, maybe the local children's hospital/ward?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 03:09 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Oh I'm not alone. My learning curve has been slow, but I've finally learned not to get everything I think is cute, cool, different, etc. If it doesn't fit my style, I'm not buying.

Whew, I feel better having put it in type. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 03:21 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Thanks so much for the kind words, but I still think I'm better at some than others, that's for sure (if you saw the pile of litter on my desk that was "almost" something, you'd know what I mean.

Perhaps Kitty put it best -- certain styles please ME more and are more theurapeutic for me.

Maybe we should just trade piles of patterned paper!
I enjoyed reading this thread and just had to check out your gallery. Your cards are amazing, can I add the whole gallery to my favourites! I wish my one layer cards came out as well as yours.
Like others have said, though, I buy what I like, not too many disasters. Although I really don't "like it a latte" What was I thinking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 03:36 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Oh, I don't know! If I had stuck to only 'my style' of stamps, I'd never have bought Unfrogettable or Best of Cluck! I'm so glad I did......I've enjoyed using both sets so much, and neither is anywhere near the more realistic nature and floral sets I am usually drawn to! [IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 03:39 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I just bought some patterned paper (for which I DO NOT have a specific use). I guess I better get a plan quickly, who knows how long I have before it is SO last season
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 03:55 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Oh yes, yes me too!! I can't pull off simple cards or geometric cards either. We both must be missing the same gene!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 04:53 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I think your cards are fantastic! But, since you won't be using some of those stamps now, and I am a real fan of yours..........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 05:10 PM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

I'm so weird! When I first started stamping I bought lots of sentiment stamps and I find that I rarely use them! I'm going thru them now and will be selling most of them! I think I'm *weird* with a capital W - I mean who doesn't use a sentiment????

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 05:24 PM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyetarr
I just bought some patterned paper (for which I DO NOT have a specific use). I guess I better get a plan quickly, who knows how long I have before it is SO last season
I felt guilty everytime I looked at my stack so I gave it to my DD preschool last year and then I bought ANOTHER stack this year (I don't learn very fast) - so I'm giving it to kindergarten.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 05:36 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailbirdstamper
I'm so weird! When I first started stamping I bought lots of sentiment stamps and I find that I rarely use them! I'm going thru them now and will be selling most of them! I think I'm *weird* with a capital W - I mean who doesn't use a sentiment????
Me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 06:18 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

That's me to a "T" I also have a stack of the paper stacks that JoAnnes always seem to have on sale that has never been used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 07:28 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Guilty also.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 07:43 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Default patterned paper piles

Don't forget, ladies, that your 'outdated' paper may not be outdated to the person you are giving the card to. Most likely, (unless they are a stamper keeping up with the trends) they do not know it is outdated and will think the card fabulous. But it is a good lesson to learn. There has been much talk on this site about the amount of money being spent, collectors, not stampers, and stamps and paper not being used because we have too much.

I think many people are coming to the realization that this hobby, if kept unchecked, can only lead to debt (unless you are stinking rich). I've been out of the LSSs for 1 month now. Am trying to cut back on the on-line buying. My sister just told me tonight that she can't believe she got me into this.

Don't get me wrong. I love the hobby (and SCS). But I never thought I would have spent so much money. And fought an addiction to a website!! The good old days were when I didn't know much about SCS and I just made a card. Now, I love SCS and have learned a lot, improved my cards and am enjoying the site. But it has helped me spend way too much money and tempted me with product that I don't really need to make a nice card. Things are going to have to change (unfortunately). Oh well. At least I have compensated by not buying shoes, clothes, furniture and anything else. It makes me feel a bit better in my hobby purchases, as I would have spent the money on the other stuff.

Gee, last part slightly off topic. Sorry!!

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 08:34 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile Cards

I get a lot of pleasure out of using "found" materials for making my cards. They end up being unique that way too! When I look at the gorgeous and artistic creations pictured on this site, I sometimes think I need all of the trendy supplies everyone else is using. What I'm trying to do is buy basic supplies like paper, inks and pencils, then use my imagination to create cards which are truly one-of-a-kind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 05:45 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailbirdstamper
Don't feel bad. I too like to have sentiments, but I usually use the computer to print the inside of the card. So, now I only buy short or one-word sentiments for the front of the card because the longer ones I know I won't use. It's just easier to print up exactly what you want to say on the computer. So, I'm right there with you!

Logging in each and every day to be inspired by SCS'ers everywhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 05:48 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gardener
I get a lot of pleasure out of using "found" materials for making my cards. They end up being unique that way too! When I look at the gorgeous and artistic creations pictured on this site, I sometimes think I need all of the trendy supplies everyone else is using. What I'm trying to do is buy basic supplies like paper, inks and pencils, then use my imagination to create cards which are truly one-of-a-kind.
I do this too. I love seeing all the trends on SCS but I really try not to let myself get carried away with trends. To me, trends fizzle out but if you can make a card with the stuff you have (and I have a lot!) even when it's outdated, I feel much better about things. I hate having to go out and buy stuff for specific projects. Most of my great inspirations come from having to make do with what I've got.

Logging in each and every day to be inspired by SCS'ers everywhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 06:10 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

I confess too. I have a whole stack of scrapbook paper...how many pages have I scrapbooked??? zero. But I could make 3 scrapbooks for my 14 month old niece and 2 of my sweetie and I. And, my sister is pregnant again (YAY!!) so I better get going. And I TOTALLY agree about appreciating different styles than I can actually make. The ones with GOBS of embellishments I adore, but my brain stops at 2. Usually an eyelet and some ribbon. Finally, I refuse to admit that some of my 12x12 paper might be out of date. :( Okay, love reading all your responses. What a fun bunch of ladies.
God bless,
Victoria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 06:19 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Default Great ideas

I'm realitively new, and have also found I "impulse" buy and have things I have yet to use. We have a scrape book store in my area that has quarterly garage sales. You pay 5$ for a booth and "sell" your unlike, gently used items. I've seen zip lock baggies filled with "scraps" like a mystery bag. Anyhow, its a lot of fun and a great way to meet to new people - and the store gets new customers. Might be something worth starting or finding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 06:28 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

wow... i'm not the only one who is addicted! i too have lots of patterned paper. when i started making cards (2 yrs ago) i tried to cut my cost by buying cheaper card stock and papers and now have found that the su! ink doesn't match any of it, soooooooooo, so much for saving money.
i have also bought some sets thinking they were so cool and don't use much-so i go to the gallery and see how popular they are before i buy now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

I envy those of you who have figured this out already. I think I am getting there though. In the last 4 years I have bought just about anything I can get my hands on, mainly because it was so new here that I had trouble finding anything.

Now I carry a little book with card stock samples in it so I can make sure I can match ribbon etc to my SU colors. So I have that under control. Some SU colors are easy to match with anything - others are so tough.

Now if I can figure out my stamping style, but I am getting closer. I have figured out that the last stamps I reach for are the ones that have to be colored, even though I have taken a watercolor class, and have all of the tools. Seems like I just like to stamp. I also have learned to look at other stamp companies with an eye to what will match my SU stamps since they are the foundation of my hobby.

I feel like I have turned a corner, and won't be making all of those 'gotta have' purchases that were costing me so much and never been used once I got them home.
Reply With Quote Likes