Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-03-2004, 08:47 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions on Stampin Spots

I have a customer that wants all the stamp pads. She's debating between ordering a set of 12 Classic stamp pads when she can or ordering all the Stampin Spots. Are the Stampin Spots a pain to work with? Are they a waste of money.... What's your opionon... I've never used them so I can't give her any advise!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2004, 08:53 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I got all 4 stampin spot sets before I owned any of the classic pads, its a nice way to figure out which colors you'll use most. I do have to say though, now that I have all 48 colors in the big pads, I never use my stampin spots. If she already knows what colors she likes, then I would recommend buying the big ones as they are easier to use. I personally don't like getting out the box of spots, then keeping track of little lids, and having to apply the ink to the stamp ( I always seem to miss areas). Just my opinion.

"Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort" - Franklin D. Roosevelt

http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.com/go/londonrain
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2004, 08:59 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually using my spots even more now with the aquapainter. I figure out what colors I want to use on my card and use the spots to apply ink directly onto a yogurt lid (or some other piece of plastic) and use the aquapainter to pick up the color. To me, it's a much easier way to have a little spot of ink and I can just apply it again if I need more. It's a lot easier than trying to squeeze the full size pads to get colors on the lids (and a lot less messy.)

I hope this is understandable.
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2004, 09:04 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Default stampin spots

I love my spots.
I just flip my stamp over and ink it up with the spot. Very easy. Plus you can see right where the ink is going. I have several of the regular size pads too, black, basic brown and vanilla. Plus the are alot easier to store and take with you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2004, 09:05 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

They are definately the economical way to start for a brand new stamper who wants a variety of colors right from the start. Then she can slowly buy the colors in a larger pad that she likes the best after trying them out. I have all sets of spots but have slowly been adding the larger classic pads to my collection as I find out which colors I use the most.

One downfall is that the spots take longer to cover a large stamp but they are great for small stamps.

They are also handy for carry along projects on the go!

I would tell her to start with them for sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2004, 09:10 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I have 3 sets of the spots so far (still need the Subtles), I have found out which colours I use most by using these - then I can purchase the stamp pads that I really like.

I also think that the spots are a good idea if you are travelling to stamp somewhere other than your home (less weight & space is taken up!!) I often go to friend's places to stamp, so I take those, very travel-friendly!

I have not had mine a year yet, and I find that some seem to be needing a refill. But I guess it's only the ones I use a lot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2004, 09:12 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Ask if she wants to travel with her supplies. That might tip the scales. I take my spots everywhere. I dont like having to choose which full size pads I can take with me. The spots are very portable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2004, 09:16 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I started out buying all of the spots and have gradually built up my collection of the large pads. I don't use the spots as much as I did before I got the full size ones, but they are nice to have to bring with you places. I also am glad that I have the RR spots because I only have a few colors of that group in the large pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2004, 09:33 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

WARNING! I had some first time stampers that weren't sure what colors they wanted to so they followed my advice and bought the spots. Yup, that was a month ago, and those spots are still on backorder. :shock: Brand new stampers have a box of stamps and a package of paper and not a darn thing to stamp WITH. As of 2 days ago, they still had 2500 on backorder (for both EE and BB). Every week, the backorder report says they'll be available "next week". It seems the equivalent of "the check is in the mail". :? Those same people have a party scheduled for next week, and they are planning to purchase some real ink pads so they can do something with what they've already bought. If she doesn't have other stamp pads to use, I would not recommend getting the spots right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2004, 10:23 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Love my spots. Take 'em when I'm stamping elsewhere. Great way to get all the colors NOW and decide what you really love later...and work up to that.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2004, 11:51 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I ADORE my spots, and normally would recommend them in a heartbeat. However, with the backorder situation the way it is I have to agree with WeLove2Stamp for now....

Betsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2004, 12:26 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I have all 4 sets of spots and only the classic pads in EE. I like the portability of the spots. Spots are great for making rainbow type effects on the frame stamps. I use my definitely use the spots more. If the customer is a scrapbooker, she can get the craft pads of the spots she uses most ( my current plan).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2004, 12:39 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Default Craft Ink Spots

I haven't seen the craft ink in the spot size. Am I missing something??
Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2004, 12:45 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I agree with everyone here - the spots are great! They were exactly what I was looking for when I was a customer -I went through two demos before I found one that actually pointed them out to me in the catty (and now that demo is my upline!) It's a very economical way to get all of the colors and see which ones you use most. Even if you eventually collect all of the colors, the spots are very portable, especially if you keep the boxes they come in. I can take all of the color families with me where ever I go. This always comes in handy! Plus, you can make really cute direct-to-paper designs with them, too! Ultimately, I realized that ink is a continual resource to stock up on (like cardstock, but not as frequently), so I'll always be buying ink. I started small with the spots, and that allowed me to also buy accessories, and of course, more stamps!

With the backorder situation, though - I'd make your customer aware of it, and give her the option - maybe order a couple of full-size pads and one spots family?

Good luck!
Billie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2004, 01:20 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

As a SU customer, one of the first ink pads I purchased was the EE spots. Mainly to get the variety for little cost.

The only "problem" I've had is the ink bleeding out on to the box. I was told by one demo, not to turn the spots upside down, because that will cause them to bleed. But I figured out the real reason after a while. When you rub the spot over a larger stamp, the pad threads can start to fray. So, when you put the lid back on, you have to make sure the threads are not hanging out. I've had a lot of colors bleed because the threads were touching the paper on the spot container, thus bleeding onto the box.

Now, I know about this, so I'm more careful when using them. I always recommend the spots to my new friends who are starting to stamp. This is a great purchase for new stampers trying to figure out which colors you like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2004, 06:07 PM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Thanks SOOO much for your input!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2004, 06:41 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Default This is what happened to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeLove2Stamp
WARNING! I had some first time stampers that weren't sure what colors they wanted to so they followed my advice and bought the spots. Yup, that was a month ago, and those spots are still on backorder. :shock: Brand new stampers have a box of stamps and a package of paper and not a darn thing to stamp WITH. As of 2 days ago, they still had 2500 on backorder (for both EE and BB). Every week, the backorder report says they'll be available "next week". It seems the equivalent of "the check is in the mail". :? Those same people have a party scheduled for next week, and they are planning to purchase some real ink pads so they can do something with what they've already bought. If she doesn't have other stamp pads to use, I would not recommend getting the spots right now.
I thought that would be a great way to have more stamps, but I'm running out of time and really need them. I hate hearing that they are backordered that far. Finally resorted to buying some full size pads off e-bay, and I hope THEY will get here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2004, 07:04 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

I would LOVE to see CRAFT spots. I heard someone mention that. Why don't they have them available? I feel like there is such a difference in color and texture with craft pads and I would love to compare and contrast, but buying all the pads seems a bit risky...financially. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2004, 10:15 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I agree with Morissasweeney - I too would love to see Craft spots. I have all the spots and all the classic pads. I still do use my spots for Direct to Paper, as I feel like I have more control over where I am putting the color.

I also like to show them at workshops, I just bring a box along. I do this because one girl ordered the spots and was very angry at the size. She thought they would be more like 1/2 of a regular pad. I explained that it says in the description, "1 inch ink pads". She still returned them. Anyways, I take them and show people who ask so that there are no "I didn't know that" things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2004, 10:56 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

I love variety so that's why the Spots appealed to me - I do plan to get the full-size pads once I know which colours I keep using over and over ;)

ITA that Craft Spots would be *awesome*

I am sad to read that the EE and BB are so backordered - I ordered BB Spots at my first party almost 2 weeks ago, and the demo did NOT mention this. (Actually, she didn't even mention the 2005 Calendar deal, but that's another complaint ;))

I wanted the BB Spots as my "primary" Spots set and did not want to obtain them from eBay because I wanted the guarantee in case they were bone-dry, but now I'm wondering if I should have bid on the BB spots and just ordered reinkers *if* they were dry. :( I won some other Spots on eBay five days ago and they're already here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2004, 11:22 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I actually don't like or even use my spots. Nearly all are dried up even though i store them upside down.... and they're not that old! And in my opinion they are kinda expensive when you can get 4 classic pads for nearly the same price. That's just my 2 cents
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2004, 04:55 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I was really hoping craft spots would be in this catty and was very disappointed that they were not. Now I'm really hoping they are in the next one! I have a few crafts but don't use them anywhere near often enough to justify the price of collecting them all for now.
Reply With Quote Likes