Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-13-2004, 05:10 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Jewish-like cards without a Jewish stamp

A friend of mine is looking to make cards for our local library. She has plenty of Christmas ideas, but nothing that would be appropriate for someone Jewish.

Does anyone have any ideas on a Jewish-themed card, using non-Jewish themed stamps, or should she just invest in a couple of Jewish stamps?!

Thanks a bunch.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2004, 05:29 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Well, I hope I can help you at least a little. I am not Jewish, but I am a cake decorater. When I need to decorate a cake for Hanukka (sp), we always use royal blue, yellow and white colors. It's not much I'm sorry. Good luck

--GO SMOKE!--

"I've learned that when you have pains, you don't have to be one!"
-Maya Angelou
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2004, 05:45 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Try cutting out 2 pieces of card stock in the shape of triangles and overlapping them to make a star of david
Good for any occasion.
I would use blue, white, silver, just about any color.(except for yellow - yellow stars are very remeniscent of Nazi Germany).
Hope that helps!!
You can make the star pop up over the background with dimensionals. The background can be ANYTHING at all!! You can stamp flowers in the background, or snow flakes, or anything else really.
Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2004, 05:46 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Yes, blue, white and gold are the appropriate color choices. I used to have a Jewish supervisor at work. When we all decorated our desks for Christmas, we did his with a candle theme to symbolize the menorah (Candle holder.) There are 7 candles on a menorah. So candles would be a good idea.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2004, 06:16 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I had a customer today order some holiday cards that would fit your needs I think. She is Jewish and her DH is Catholic. So, she asked for the Peace, Love, Joy stamp from All Year Cheer I to be silver embossed on Night of Navy Cardstock with some vellum accents. Inside, she asked me to stamp the holiday greeting from Sketch It. I can upload it if you'd like.

HTH,
Vanessa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2004, 07:03 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I did not do this card but this is a way cool idea and I am going to duplicate for my cousin for her holiday card. Thanks mbsj!

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

ETA I went to my local Archiver's and they have the diecut to punch out this star, only you have to buy their paper....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2004, 07:06 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Default FYI...

FYI...There are 9 candles on a menorah. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2004, 07:40 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Vanessa I'd love to see the card...

Hugs,
Betsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 10:18 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

I wanted to make some Jewish cards for Keri to send to the troops and am going to order one of the two sets from our catalog (I think they are doing a disservice having only 2) to make some.

And I remember learning what CreativeDiva said many years ago when I had a Jewish boss, never use gold!! He wouldn't even decorate the office in gold, had to be silver and blues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 10:29 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Jewish Cards

If you have the set Shadows and Shapes, or Fun With Shapes, or any set with a triangle, you can make the Star of David. I think it has 6 corners. Then use the colors that were suggested or blue and silver.

Oh well, thats one idea. Also it is a time of gift giving I think so mabe something with gifts on it would be appropriate.

HTH,
Shirley
Shirley in NC - SCS #756

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 02:50 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I'm using my swirling stars jumbo wheel from the holiday mini with Ballet blue ink and dazzling diamonds...also the star stamp from the tag set (Happiest of Holidays) and the sentiment are appropriate. It says "Wishing you the Happiest of Holidays."

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 03:11 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymbers_Stampin
I wanted to make some Jewish cards for Keri to send to the troops and am going to order one of the two sets from our catalog (I think they are doing a disservice having only 2) to make some.
I don't think so. The US Jewish population is less than 2%. They would need to have more than 100 holiday sets for 2 sets to be proportional. As with all businesses, they need to put their resources in the place that yields the most potential return.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 03:20 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I don't think so. The US Jewish population is less than 2%. They would need to have more than 100 holiday sets for 2 sets to be proportional. As with all businesses, they need to put their resources in the place that yields the most potential return.
well, I for one disagree with that statement... I have a lot of customers who would love to buy more Jewish themed sets. I guess it probably depends on where you are... bigger cities have more demand... I think that if SU offers more, more will sell... you can buy christmas stamps anywhere in any store, Jewish stamps are more specialized and harder to come by, so more people buy whatever they can find!
My 2 cents...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 03:32 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeDiva
Quote:

well, I for one disagree with that statement... I have a lot of customers who would love to buy more Jewish themed sets. I guess it probably depends on where you are... bigger cities have more demand... I think that if SU offers more, more will sell... you can buy christmas stamps anywhere in any store, Jewish samps are more specializes and harder to come by, so more people buy whatever they can find!
My 2 cents...
I am not sure what you are disagreeing with my numbers or the business principle I quoted. I don't think a Punk Rock only record store would do well in Nashville any more than I think investing in the production of 6-10 Jewish themed sets would do for SU, or any other stamping catalog company. However, 13% of the US is African-American. There might be a better investment of product.

As to urban areas, I live in one. I also happen to live in place with 4 synagogues within 6 miles of me -- which I know about. Believe me, Hanukah merchandise sells where I live, and thus the retailers carry it. But, if I go just across town to where I used to live, I can only thing of one synagogue. Even the Hallmark in that neighborhood carries only a very few Hanukah items.

I only meant to point out that proportionally for holiday sets, I feel two obviously Jewish sets is great. After all, anything quoting the Old Testament is Jewish, as well.

My new favorite site...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 04:05 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

But, if I go just across town to where I used to live, I can only thing of one synagogue.
That's exactly what I mean, it depends on the area.
And I do agree with you that the Jewish population in the States is 2%, but I still think that one or 2 more Jewish sets would sell really well. (6 more would really be way too much, I agree).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 04:10 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to StampinLeslie

I'd really like to see a better all-purpose Jewish set. For example -- no Jewish person would wish another "Happy Rosh Hashana" -- they'd say "Happy New Year" or "L'Shana Tovah." I was very disappointed when the Mazel Tov set came out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 04:13 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I'd really like to see a better all-purpose Jewish set. For example -- no Jewish person would wish another "Happy Rosh Hashana" -- they'd say "Happy New Year" or "L'Shana Tovah." I was very disappointed when the Mazel Tov set came out.
You're right! There is a retired set of Jewish Greetings that was much much better!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 04:19 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow ... I never expected my original question to turn into such a debate! Thank you to everyone who gave me ideas. I think I have plenty to go on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 04:26 PM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Okay, I'm not Jewish and I'm a little offended here.
Quote:

only meant to point out that proportionally for holiday sets, I feel two obviously Jewish sets is great. After all, anything quoting the Old Testament is Jewish, as well.
Actually, one set is all inclusive, one is semi-Hanukkah only related. And I'm really amazed that only 2% of the population is Jewish. Maybe it's where I've lived but the percentage of Jewish people that I've met far outweighs that percentage.

What I completely wonder from all this is regardless of what the percentage is, does one not factor in friends of the percentage. I mean, would a christian not offend a Jew by giving them a card with Jesus on it. I know I'd be offended if someone gave me a card that went completely against my religion. Of those 2% you must factor in friends in the purchase percentage. I think 4 would be a nice number and not a burdon on the manufacturer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 05:27 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm Jewish and had to add my two cents. First, I have never heard of not using gold at Chanukah time. My menorah is gold. Chanukah gelt (the metal foil-covered chocolates) are usually gold. While blue and silver is a common color combo for Chanukah, I also see gold all the time. I'll have to ask my sister-in-law, who is in rabbincal school, about this thread....

I'm also disappointed by the fact that there are only 2 Jewish sets in the main catalog, and I don't love either of them, although I bought both. That's why I was thrilled to see a cute Chanukah set in the mini (Festival Fun). I bought it and made some cute samples, and I'm bummed to report that I haven't had anyone buy it. I've bought a few extras to give as gifts. But, I think if I can't sell even a cute Chanukah set -- and I have lots of Jewish relatives and friends -- then I doubt SU is selling many of these sets overall. I'm concerned that dismal sales of Festival Fun will make it unlikely that SU will expand the Jewish offerings anytime soon. And, I think that would make sound business sense so I won't complain.

I should add that religious Jews don't send greeting cards during the December holiday season but rather in the fall around Rosh Hashanah. It's only with all the commercialization of Christmas that Jewish people started doing Chanukah cards and making Chanukah into a big celebration. It's really a very minor holiday.

When I send out holiday cards, I tend to use something neutral -- usually a "happy holidays" sentiment and then images that aren't only associated with Christmas or Chanukah. Usually snowflakes, snowmen, etc. Seems a little odd now that I'm living in sunny California, though! I'm not offended when I receive cards with all the nonsecular Christmas symbols -- trees, holly, even Santa. It's those very religious ones that I'm surprised people send me.

Back to the poster's original question. I made a cute card last year where I made strips of Ballet Blue card stock as candles and then used Summer Sun punched from our heart punch upside down as the flames. An earlier poster was right -- the traditional Chanukah menorah has 9 candles. Eight of them in a row with the ninth either in the middle (elevated a bit) or at one end separated a bit from the rest. The ninth is used to light the others.

Enough from me!!
Stephanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 05:50 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Stephanie - I'm not sure about the gold. I said in an earlier posting that they should avoid making yellow stars, I think gold is perfectly fine...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 05:50 PM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Thank you Stephanie, I'm going to look in my Holiday Mini for the other set. Okay, back now It's not the concept of the set that I don't like, it's the kids. Don't like kids in my sets and interestingly enough, that set will probably be in the next catalog.

I wonder if they gold issue is based on belief and how one was raised. I just remember my boss not allowing anything "christian" or anything that wasn't silver and gold. I think we were lucky to get a holiday bonus though.

The December holiday no matter what you call it has long been a point of issue with some people. Now with the over commercialization, it's gotten even more difficult.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 05:53 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

How funny, the reason I didn't buy the mini set is because I didn't like the kids in it at all. My customers didn't either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 06:03 PM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeDiva
Stephanie - I don't know where the gold came from either. I said in an earlier posting that they should avoid making yellow stars, gold is perfectly fine...
I guess to my hoyty toydy boss, yellow was gold and gold was mearly yellow. I just learned from him we decorated in blue and silver ONLY. He probably had issue with Green, Red, and Gold combos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 06:07 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I guess to my hoyty toydy boss, yellow was gold and gold was mearly yellow.
I can see that.
I think different people have different sensibilities... or maybe your boss just didn't like gold
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 07:16 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I have uploaded the card I mentioned to my gallery. It's called "General Holiday Card."

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

(I hope this link works - I have never linked to my gallery before!)

HTH,
Vanessa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 08:53 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

As another Jewish stamper, demonstrator and Cantor at my synagogue, I have to add my two cents as well.

With the exception of the Stars of David set (which retired), I haven't liked any of the SU sets dedicated to Jewish Holidays. I second the opinion that no Jewish person would wish another "Happy Rosh Hashanah" or "Happy Passover." Chag Sameach (which SU used to have) is more appropriate. I also had problems with the Chanukah set that was in the Mini - much too cutesy for my tastes. It would have been better to make a simple dreidel wheel that could be used for adults or children.

Interestingly, I have seen more cards using purples, yellows and reds this year than blue and silver. Blue and white are the colors of Israel and blue and silver are traditionally used at Chanukah. Perhaps the boss spoken about previously did not want to use gold because gold is used so much with red and green at Christmas.

I think that SU does it's customers a disservice by not offering more stamps for their Jewish stampers. I send many of my customers looking for Jewish stamps to Ruth's Jewish Stamps and other similar places since the selection at SU is so slim. It was also quite disappointing to them that the Hostess set this past Mini was religious in nature. While I think that of course there should be religious Christmas sets in the catalog (after all, that is the point of Christmas, isn't it? ), perhaps SU could make their hostess gift sets more secular in nature. Many of my customers chose not to hostess until later since they could not use the set. It was very interesting.

In any event, while it may be true that the Jewish population is only 2% of the American people, perhaps one should look at the economic and artistic influence of that 2% before making such decisions as what to offer for sale.

Happy Holidays, everyone! [/u]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 09:01 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

In any event, while it may be true that the Jewish population is only 2% of the American people, perhaps one should look at the economic and artistic influence of that 2% before making such decisions as what to offer for sale.
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 12:44 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by DivaMom

Happy Holidays, everyone! [/u]
I think the above statement makes an excellent point about how SU has not persued this market. As was pointed out, Happy Rosh Hashana is not a traditional greeting. Have those of you so verse on what might be more appropriate sets sent suggestions to SU? Seems like they need a little help. Maybe they would sell more if people felt they could use all the stamps in the set.

And I am sorry my 2% statement offended. I really was just trying to point out that national companies can not be all things to all people. They must look at their clientele and make desicions on what to offer. I thought people might be shocked, as I was, that the Jewish population was so small.

My new favorite site...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 01:32 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Default chanakuah cards

Quote:

Originally Posted by look-inkgood
we did his with a candle theme to symbolize the menorah (Candle holder.) There are 7 candles on a menorah. So candles would be a good idea.
The Menorah has nine candles on it. 8 for the 8 nights of chanakuah, and 1 is called the shamas and is used to light the other 8 with. every night one more candle is lit. ex. 1st night shamas + 1, 2nd night shamas +2, and so on.
For these cards, use any shades of blue, white, silver. the star of david is a 6 pointed star, and you can male that easily with 2 triangles of paper. There are many spellings for hanukkah, chanakuah, so make your choice. you can also look at some of the cards here on scs by doing a search for "jewish"

Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 01:50 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Oops - "My bad" about the 7 candle count on a menorah. I knew it has 9. It was a typo of my flying dyslexic fingers.

Well, in spite of that, I think you have gotten plenty of feedback about this.

Best of luck!

Reply With Quote Likes