Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-27-2004, 03:31 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Tile Coaster Stamp Camp

**please leave in the open forum as I would love customer input as well! I am also posting in the Demo-only forum in case demos would prefer to answer in private!

Last week I gave my hostess 2 tile coasters as a gift. Everyone at the workshop ooh'd and ahh'd over them and then a friend who heard about them asked me to do a class on them ASAP! I am trying to figure out the logistics and am undecided - I need input!

I could hold the class and order enough Staz-on for everyone who wants to come - and then include the cost of the pad in their class fee - but I would have to allow for shipping time. This way, though, I could suggest a few sets that would work great with the coaster idea and allow a day or two for ppl to decide if they want to order one. Obviously they will be able to use my sets at the class, but they seem to want to learn so they can make a few sets for Christmas gifts. Problem is we are already almost in December - if I order, we can't count on them arriving before the 11th (or later??)

If I do the class sooner, it gives them more time to make more sets, but they wouldn't have the Staz-on ink from me - and they might not have a good set of line-art stamps either.

What do you think - sooner with no supplies or later with ink included and the chance to order a set if they need it?

Also, if we are only making a set of 4 coasters and a small gift box card (cute explosion box) what would you charge/pay?

Sorry this is so long -as you can tell, I just cannot decided what to do and need to make a decision by tomorrow so I can let everyone know!

Thanks!! :?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 03:51 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Congratulations on inspiring your friends!

I wonder if maybe the best way to serve everyone's best interests is to supply all the materials and have a price per piece. For example, if you end up thinking 2.50/coaster is adequate for what you contribute in time and materials, and someone makes 2, they would pay 5.00. If someone makes 10, they would pay 25.00.

Anyone who wants to have the coasters to give as gifts soon will have them; those who prefer to order the supplies and make them later will have a chance to learn.

Hopefully you will be rewarded, with goodwill as well as some sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 06:02 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hmmm, okay I like the idea but - I am wondering if they will be happy with that price. I think they were excited about being able to make something so nice for so little. I really just cannot tell what a good price is. I am a fairly new demo and have never had a technique class or anything yet, so am afraid to scare them off with too high a price. I will give it some more thought - thanks for your input!

Any other thoughts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 06:23 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I don't know, but I think rubadub's idea was pretty good. $2.50 isn't that bad of a price. They may come thinking they might only make one or two and then get the supplies to make more on their own. Then they may change their mind and decide to just pay extra for more and save time and get them done.

Sure, they could make them more inexpensively (at least if you are just talking the cost of the tile) on their own, but they would have to purchase the ink and stamps and sharpies. Hopefully, they will want to do more later and purchase stamps from you.

Maybe you could order some of the ink pads to have ready to sell cash and carry. Then, if they already had some stamps they could use at home they would be ready to start making gifts right away.

Sounds like fun! I'd love to come!

www.emilybradley.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 06:26 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

My demo does tile classes using her own supplies. We share the stamps and the stazon and the pastels. She charges $15.00 and we can make 6 or 8. We also stagger our arrivals so not everyone is using the same pads & stamps at the same time. Stamp tiles with stazon and then tye other products are easy to share. 10 people is plenty to come in one class time. She has no trouble filling her tile classes and usually has to add one at least. We had 3 sets of stamps to choose from. I have made 8 rose tiles and 8 butterfly tiles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 06:38 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

My demo is going to charge $10.00 for 2 tiles and she supplies everything. I really thought that was a good price but that is only my thought on the subject. But I really think the ideal supplied here is better. I do believe that I would contact everyone that is going to do this class and ask what they want . Then have a deposit put down for half the cost so you are not out the money and would have a more accurate counting of who was going to come. Also I would ask up front how many they wanted to make. But that is only my 2 cents worth.

If the police arrest a deaf man do they read them their rights?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 06:46 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I like ragmops response. That sounds good. I have found that as a demo that my sales are higher when the class fee isn't so great.

I like the idea of adding the price of the stazon pad in the class fee.

I will have to think about that one. Sounds like fun though.

I know that I can buy the 4x4 tiles at Lowe's for .32 each. I don't see any of my customers paying 2.50 for one. But different areas can charge different prices.

I'd say 7.95 for the stazon (I think it is 9 something with s&h and tax, except there is no shipping right now), your cost for the tiles (I'd do at least 4 a buck and change) So I think the idea of 4 for 15 is great or like ragmop said 6 or 8 for that price. I think I will try this.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 07:18 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

What about having them bring their own tiles (however many they want to do) and then just charging $5 or so for use of materials and instruction fee? Just a thought. Maybe make it a "Thanks for your business" free class for those that already have the Staz-on pads.
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 08:31 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by munhaven
What about having them bring their own tiles (however many they want to do) and then just charging $5 or so for use of materials and instruction fee? Just a thought. Maybe make it a "Thanks for your business" free class for those that already have the Staz-on pads.
Well, I think they would prefer I get the tiles, as they don't know what kind and it would be easier if I just pick them all up in one trip. I also feel certain the ones interested in this do not have the Staz-on pads. Most have (or just ordered) the pastels, though. Hmmm.

Maybe $15 for the Staz-on and 4 tiles, use of my supplies while here.

I am not looking for orders, as most of these guys just ordered from me within the last 2 months. I just think it would be fun, but don't want to shoot myself in the foot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 08:41 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

The $2.5 doesn't sounds bad. Especially if you put cork on the bottom of them. They need to dry when you do this & the cork costs about $14 a roll. So you are saving them time & money. Plus they will take a finished gift home with them! Most stamping classes are $15 & you get to take home much less.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2004, 06:37 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Let us know how it goes for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2004, 07:14 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

As Beate posted on another thread, Staz On is half price at Hobby Lobby this week, if that helps any!

C
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2004, 07:23 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think you should tell them that stazon is on sale this week a hobby lobby and let them get their own - of course you would lose a sale but sometimes if one can save some $ one place they will spend more in another place!
I would pay $10 for a class fee that would provide all the supplies to make 4 tiles. If someone wanted to make more then you could have a per tile charge of say $1.00 to 2.00. But you would need a head count and an estimated number count before hand so you could purchase the tiles.

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2004, 08:55 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I agree with photocropper.

It looks like you needed to have this figured out by last night, but I wanted to follow up on the idea of how to price what you were offering. I kinda agree with a previous poster, that if you are using the glazed tiles that cost about .32, the coasters aren't worth as much as the tumbled marble that cost about about .72. However, it seems to me a class is a class--the primary benefits are: the initial chance to try something; learn from other's experience; see if you enjoy doing it; have fun with friends. These are huge benefits, and you, as the instructor, are providing the context for them. If someone wants to make them for the least cost (like most of us!): that's the motivation to buy the pads and stamp sets.

(Incidentally, I've been planning on having some friends get together for a coaster party--and I'll only ask for reimbursement for the actual cost of the tiles, and I'll invite them to make as many as they would like. It's not a question of "selling myself short"--this is what will work for me. The neat thing about being independent demonstrators is we get to put things together to meet our personal goals.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2004, 09:13 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Default tile class

I taught a tile class and I had 11 people attend. So many people wanted to learn how to make them.
I charged $5.00 for the class that included 1- 4 x 4 tile with cork on the back and a typed up sheet of directions. They could make an additional tile for $2.00.
We used black Stazon, watercolor pencils, blender pens and the Frosty stamp set. We sprayed them with triple thick stuff.
My hopes were that people would order the supplies to make their own. I only had 3 people do this. Part of this was because one of my customers told everyone they could but the Stazon at a local store that has 40% off coupons. Darn Darn....
But with charging the class fee ( I had never done this before) I did not loose money and everyone was very happy paying the class fee. I have now made several sets of these as presents and they look great.
I buy my tiles at Home Depot and get the cork in packs of 12 already cut to size at IKEA. They make them very affordable.

Just my two cents,
Marcy
Reply With Quote Likes