Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help from a SU demonstrator

I'm close to signing up to be a SU demonstrator. I really don't like some of the stamps in the starter kit, but am having trouble selecting sets that would be good for workshops that fit in the right price range. Could anyone suggest a substitute for Fun & Fast Notes and also On a Pedestal? Is it best to stick with what they suggest? thanks for any help you can offer.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I chose sets of lesser value...but I used them WAY more

You can choose sets at a lesser value...I would keep it as close as possible, but it doesn't have to be exactly the same amount, as long as it is a LOWER amount. I would choose what you LOVE...you will pick the sets up and stamp with it way more often than if you just chose the set because its the same price...Twila
2011 Artisan Award Finalist

My 100% SU! Blog: www.thestampingspot.blogspot.com

My Website: www.twilamooneyham.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

thanks. I guess I'm concerned that I won't pick something versitile (sp?) enough to do many workshops. I don't have the money to buy a lot of extra upfront. I'll need to collect over time. Also, I'm concerned that I pick something that will retire soon. I'm really excited to get started. I've been going through the catalog everyday for almost a week trying to pick out stamps and cardstock colors/ink. I also like stamps in the mini catalog and I'm not sure if they'll make it into the regular catalog - like Vintage Vogue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Many new demonstrators don't have a huge supply of SU items. Their demo kit is what they'll be using to demo. The demo kit is well thought out as it contains both outline stamps and bold stamps--that allows you to do different techniques. Also, the kit covers most situations (all occasion set, all occasion sentiments, birthday (probably most popular card) and a flower set (generic).

Fun & Fast notes is good because it covers most card giving occassions. And you can do different techniques with these outlined images (blender pen & ink, blender pen & chalk, etc). It's the only set in the kit that has outline images. If you replace this set (and you don't own other outine SU sets), I'd get another outline set. However, the only other outline set that is as versatile as Fun & Fast Notes is Pun Fun. These two are good choices for a new demo that doesn't own stamps to cover all these situations.

Teeny Tiny Wishes is also a good stamp set for the new demo because it covers sentiments for most situations.

I think the two easiest to replace with another stamp set are On a Pedastal and Eastern Blooms. A birthday set is a good choice--that's why On a Pedastal is in the kit. But if you have some other stamp sets that you like, then go for it. I've found if you really like a stamp set, you use it more and you're more creative with that set.

Vintage Vogue from the Occassions Mini would be a good choice, maybe in the clear mount to replace Eastern Blooms (if you were planning to get the clear blocks in the near future). I know you'll loose a few dollars in value in the trade, but it would be a good choice, IMO.

Lisa

Anyway, I'm sure other demos will have other advice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Get something YOU like. You will be able to work with something better if you like it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Fun and fast notes is a very versatile one and good for workshops. I use it quite often. It gives people a variety of choices on what they want to stamp. If you don't like that one, do you like Pun Fun? That is another good one. Maybe you can jot down some of your favorite sets, then look in the gallery and see what ideas you like and then go with that set. Hope that helps! Good luck and congrats on Choosing to sign up with Stampin' Up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm thinking of the same thing. I might just change the color selection but the stamps itself, I'm confused. But thanks for the price info. I didn't know that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Dedham, MA just outside Boston where I was born and raised

The beauty of signing up is that your giant box of goodies can arrive with the stamps of your choosing. Can I recommend Pun Fun? I preferred it over Fun & Fast Notes. You should definitely pick all of the things you love love love. It's more FUN that way!!! And if you love them, so will your customers because your enthusiasm about the sets will shine through as opposed to "this is what they gave me so I have to use it"....
I loved signing up. Getting that first box of goodies is so exciting. I practically stalked the UPS man!!! AHhahahaha. In addition to your starter kit I highly recommend you using the extra 10% off discount right now during Sale-a-Bration because you will get a free SAB item for every $50 you spend and this year there are a whole bunch of sets you can choose from the current idea book and catalog if you end up already getting all of the SAB items.
Ok, I know you heard from a lot of people so I'll stop all my chatty-ness! But I love talking stamps, don't you??!!!
Have FUN!!!!! Let us know what you chooose!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazan2010View Post
thanks. I guess I'm concerned that I won't pick something versitile (sp?) enough to do many workshops. I don't have the money to buy a lot of extra upfront. I'll need to collect over time. Also, I'm concerned that I pick something that will retire soon. I'm really excited to get started. I've been going through the catalog everyday for almost a week trying to pick out stamps and cardstock colors/ink. I also like stamps in the mini catalog and I'm not sure if they'll make it into the regular catalog - like Vintage Vogue.
We've already been told that Vintage Vogue will carry over, so you'd be safe with that one!

Versatile sets are important, but it's also important that you love them as well! If you don't like them, you don't get excited about them, and it will show.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Dedham, MA just outside Boston where I was born and raised

I was the same way...had a cattie in hand everywhere I went making lists and lists. Don't drive yourself too crazy, have fun and definitely pick what you love! I find that versatility is built into SU's products...pick one set you love and you can do like three make n takes at a workshop all using one set and customers will be wowed by versatility and will see their products value. Again, I think Pun Fun is very versatile because of all the cute images and different sentiments for lots of different occasions. It's always nice to have a birthday themed set too!! Have fun!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazan2010View Post
I'm close to signing up to be a SU demonstrator. I really don't like some of the stamps in the starter kit, but am having trouble selecting sets that would be good for workshops that fit in the right price range. Could anyone suggest a substitute for Fun & Fast Notes and also On a Pedestal? Is it best to stick with what they suggest? thanks for any help you can offer.
I just started as a demonstrator too!! My suggestion is to get Pun Fun (it covers almost all holidays) and get another general stamp set, such as For all you do (not sure if the price is comparable). The point is that getting a general set will allow you to do many different types of projects, such as candles, framed art, etc. A set that is too specific will only work for that purpose. You want stamp sets that are as versatile as possible!

Pun Fun is a great set that I keep going back to, even though it is not one of my favorites. It is definitely versatile! You can use it for different techniques, such as coloring, watercoloring, marker to stamp inking, embossing, etc. You can stamp just the animal for a baby/child type project too! It is a set that I pull out when I don't have anything else that will work! I really should go to it first!!

For Valentine's Day my daughter too sucker holders we made using Pun Fun. The sentiments are not very specific, which lets you use them for many different ideas.

Also, don't be afraid to combine stamp sets by using part of one stamp with part of another stamp. You achieve this by masking.

When a catalog has been out a while, you can check the stamp set gallery to see how others are using that stamp set. This might give you the ideas as to if you really want that one or not. You can also see how versatile it is!

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me!
Reply With Quote Likes