Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Question Need Help! Q: Do You Sell Your Cards?

Hello to all of you fellow cardmakers!

I just recently made the leap into making cards (as of 4 months ago), from being just an average scrapbooker. And I am HOOKED and LOVING it!!! So my question is this: Just recently some one bought a card from me for $3 ( I was going to only charge $1.50 ), and loved it so much she showed her mom, now her mom wants a set of 12 various handmade cards for different occasions. How much have you sold your cards for? Or how much is a fair price for a single card or a set of 12? I said $7 off the top of my head, and my friend looked at me and said to think about what I want for them. So I am now thinking I should charge about $12 -$14, is that too much? I don't want to overcharge but I don't want to sell at a loss. What do you Ladies think?
TYIA, Amanda

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I do sell myne, but mainly to friend and family and sell them around $2.50 each.
and what I do sell, I use to buy more supplies ;)
For me its more for fun.

My size cards are A2 size card and simple designs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, here in Australia, I have sold mine for an average of $5.00 each. If the card is simpler in nature, then I will knock some off that, and if it is much more demanding , then I add a bit.

I don't think you should sell yourself short. These things take time and money. You have to cover your expenses and then add a bit for your time. The hardest thing will be not to over OR underprice yourself. If you do one, you will lose your customers and if you do the other, you will very quickly become disillusioned with the whole thing!

People need to understand that they are not buying some cheap thing from the $2 shop, but a hand made creation and therefore have to whisk the mothballs away a little bit to get to the loot!

Cheers,
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I sell my A2 cards for $3 a piece.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at least $3.00 each!! maybe $20 for 7 if you wanted to be nice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Ok, I see that I have been too "generous" with my pricing :( While I was waiting, for replies, I had spoke to my friend and asked her to tell her Mom for $20 for a set of 12. I feel badly that I low balled it, but as I see, I didn't undercut myself by too much, right? Is it kosher to change your price? My husband thinks I should've asked for $25, I'm thinking that might be too high and I would loose my new found "business". What are your thoughts, Ladies? I just want to be fair, not to charge too little and not eat the cost.

What does A2 size mean? Is that the standard 4x6 size? I usually do the 5x7 size, and cut down as needed.

Here is what cards my friend and her Mom bought, for $3. Do you think they are priced right or should I have asked for more?

Card 1. Some Bunny Loves Me by havonfamily at Splitcoaststampers

Card 2. New Bunny by havonfamily at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

I think your cards are beautiful. and I think worth more than $3.00 If you already told them a price I would stick with that but in the future just charge more. good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OH my gosh and you said you have only been doing this 4 months? Great cards and well worth the $3...no wonder she ordered more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I sell mine for about $4 each (Canadian.) I think $3.50-4.00 a piece is perfectly reasonable. Think about cards at Hallmark or Carlton Cards; they run $2.50-6.00 each and they don't include the love that we add by hand!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I agree at least $3.00 per card. People don't realize that sometimes we put up to an hour or more on one card so we're only getting paid $3.00 an hour. granted we enjoy making them, but go to Hallmark and pay $4.00+ for a card that doesn't even have any embelishments, time, or love put into it. I've had people turn their nose up when I say $3.00 I just say good luck finding one this nice at the stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

These cards are gorgeous, and I would maybe keep the $3 price for close family but charge $5 for other customers.

I charge $5 a card, unless I don't have a stamp for what they want, then it is $10 since I would be required to draw something (instead of just stamping it).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

My cards range from $3 to $5, with most of them coming in at $4. My cards range from simple to very involved. I sell to friends at 30% off my store price and I sell to family members at 50% of what I charge in the store. I agree, stick with the price you set now, and then I'd see how things go from there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

$3 is completely fair, and reasonable for your lovely cards. I think as long as you use quality papers, add a few embellishments, no one will think twice at that price. I sell mine for that and the only quantities I do are 5 in a clear acrylic box that I sell for $12. I just don't want to get into mass productions of any card, because I think the one of a kind makes it more special.So 5 is the max for me!!! I get bored doing the same card over and over and over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 156 Likes on 80 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by havonfamilyView Post
Ok, I see that I have been too "generous" with my pricing :( While I was waiting, for replies, I had spoke to my friend and asked her to tell her Mom for $20 for a set of 12. I feel badly that I low balled it, but as I see, I didn't undercut myself by too much, right? Is it kosher to change your price? My husband thinks I should've asked for $25, I'm thinking that might be too high and I would loose my new found "business". What are your thoughts, Ladies? I just want to be fair, not to charge too little and not eat the cost.

What does A2 size mean? Is that the standard 4x6 size? I usually do the 5x7 size, and cut down as needed.

Here is what cards my friend and her Mom bought, for $3. Do you think they are priced right or should I have asked for more?

Card 1. Some Bunny Loves Me by havonfamily at Splitcoaststampers

Card 2. New Bunny by havonfamily at Splitcoaststampers
Just 'passing through' and wanted to say...these cards are amazing!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thank You, Ladies, I really wasn't posting to fish for compliments, but it really encourages me to hear that you Ladies like them, and the cards look ok. That has been a little concern of mine, since I look at all of the cards that everyone posts here on SCS, and I get a little nervous about mine You all have such Great ideas and Wonderful cards!! You all really inspire me and I get great ideas just by looking at all of your Wonderful Hard Work!!!

So it looks like I am kinda off on my pricing for the set of 12, but about average on the my single card prices. This is all good to know, thank you, your answers Really help!
I would like to do this as a small side business, you know, an every now and then kind of thing. I don't want to do so much that I have to get the government involved - LOL ;) But just enough to feed the need to make cards and have fun with it all, but not be able to count it as income
But since we are on the subject, how do you sell your stuff? By word of mouth? Website? Ebay? Etsy?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Word of mouth. I supply my mom with boxed cards for her to use and in turn, her friends and co-workers always come to me for purchases. At one point I had the VP of accounting's executive assistant purchase a set of cards for him to give away with bonus cheques and whatnot. That was kind of cool.

I've sold a few on Etsy - probably 5 of my 80-some sales were cards. They don't sell well on there, from what I've found.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Your cards are beautiful. I think they could sell for at least $5.00. They are hand crafted not a Hallmark made by the thousands. This makes it more artful and unique. The least I would sell them for is $3.00 but this seems low for all of the time and materials. some of your cards have extra added special touches and they should definitely sell for more.

I just started selling my tear bears and portraits. I am trying a place on-line named Artfire. It is free for the basic and you can list as many items as you want. I am also thinking about trying Ebay. Check out www.Artfire.com it is a place to start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

So it looks like everyone is agreement 3.00-5.00. I sell mine for 2.50 with a minimum order of 12. Individually I sell for 4.00. Happy stamping ladies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Perhaps you could say that this is an introductary price and any future orders will be more,otherwise she may tell her friends and you could end up with more requests for $20 sets.best to "put your cards on the table" (tee hee) from the begining. Di.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 05:04 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Great cards and great thread.

I sell my cards for $2 - $3 each. Looks like I'm underpriced as well. Isn't it funny that we aren't willing to compensate ourselves for our work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 05:23 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

One thing that I have done is break down the cost of big supplies ex: CS, Envelopes, etc. I figure out how much it cost for the items, including shipping and exchange (I live in Canada) this way I have a base price of what my supplies cost me and then I go from there. I usually charge $3 per card and $25 for 10 cards. If it wasn't for my husband and sister coming up with this system for me I would just give my cards away because I love to create them and I don't feel right charging for something I love doing. Have fun with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 07:13 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

For me, it depends how many cards are being purchased. I have a contract with a big grocery store here in the city and they pay $3.50 per card. They never order less than 50 cards. They sell them at $5.49 plus tax. Other places that don't order that many at one time pay $4 per card. When selling smaller quantities, I charge $5 per card, tax included. If I make just one card by special order, depending on how involved it is, it can go up to $8. I am in Canada though. HTH.

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I normally sell mine for $3.00 each too. With the exception of the two swim teams that I supply with 1250 cards each. I sell these to them for fund raisers so I get $2.00 per card for these....Doesn't sound like much but the $5,000.00 each fall is very very nice. I also sell to people at my hubby's work. We have a basket on his desk that everyone is always coming to for their cards. That basket generates between $75.00 and $125.00 per week at $3.00 per card. During holiday times this number can be quite a bit more. So you can see doing the cards can be very lucrative. I also send lots and lots of cards to the troops and supply my church bookstore and youth group for fund raisers. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Wow! So people really do pay more for better quality (AKA. Handmade) cards!! I was so nervous asking $20 for the 12 and $3 for my two single cards, but I see that I am underselling my cards. All of your comments and prices have really helped me see that no one minds paying more for handmade. Thank you, Ladies
Your right, Gladfam, why are we so willing to sell ourselves short? I was certainly ready to, but then, I have never done this before

I did try to sell my stuff once before, while I was in a Book Boutique shop, but she wasn't interested in seeing my cards or samples, saying she already had someone selling their cards there, and that lady was given "cart blanche" (spelling?) to make and sell how ever she wanted to. So I felt like maybe my cards were not nice enough, to her. So I gave up until my friend wanted one to buy, so it has revitalized my idea. I just want a little side cash to feed my stamp addiction need. You know what I mean? - LOL!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I normally sell mine for $3.00 each too. With the exception of the two swim teams that I supply with 1250 cards each. I sell these to them for fund raisers so I get $2.00 per card for these....Doesn't sound like much but the $5,000.00 each fall is very very nice. I also sell to people at my hubby's work. We have a basket on his desk that everyone is always coming to for their cards. That basket generates between $75.00 and $125.00 per week at $3.00 per card. During holiday times this number can be quite a bit more. So you can see doing the cards can be very lucrative. I also send lots and lots of cards to the troops and supply my church bookstore and youth group for fund raisers. Blessings.
wow Amber that is just awesome. I will be doing a fundraiser soon, but was trying to see how much to charge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think it also depends on the size. I think $3 for an A2 card is reasonable. A larger card or square card would cost more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

What is the A2 Size? What are all the sizes? I usually buy a 5x7 card base (the make the card sturdier) and cut down as needed. Does anyone else do this?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

"(the make the card sturdier) "
I apologize, the statement is supposed to read: "(to make the card sturdier)".

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

By the way, Happyinker and Sprtchick, you inspire me! You make so many cards at once. How do you find the time? I have two little ones always underfoot, but I love them And how do you make so many cards? How do you make them with out getting "bored" of making so many? That is my worry, that I will get burnt out, after making a few. How do you do it? Is there a tip or trick you could please share?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

A2 size is 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 inches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

I'm in agreement with "shellpole" and "diane speed". You don't want to under price your work because that can lead to "the tail wagging the dog"! I was impressed with the diplomatic solution from diane!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkplug17View Post
A2 size is 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 inches.
I just checked out your etsy shop and WOW!! You have gorgeous stuff on there. {I think you can charge much more for your cards!}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

havonfamily, your cards are amazing!! You definitely need to be charging much more for your cards!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

I don't really have a trick. My rule is never to make more than 20 of the same card - otherwise it bores me out of my mind. I make them in batches of 20. If I feel good designing on a good day, I design, let's say 5 different cards. Then on a day I feel less creative, I will make additional copies of the ones I've designed previously. I have a binder with my samples in there (every single card I've made in the last year or so). If I don't feel like making something new, I will go back and make copies of something I've forgotten about. If I notice that something is selling particularly well, I will go back to that design, otherwise, I might use it for my club and classes, but not for a mass production again.

I cut pieces for the cards, enough to make 20. I will stamp 20 of my main image. At night while watching TV or listening to music, or talking to my husband, I will colour them, cut them - whatever it takes. Next day or evening I will assemble all of the cards and repeat the process. I am not sure this is helping, but this is how I do it.

I have 2 small kids (6 and 4) and I bribe them with their own supplies and allowing them to use my tools. I also shamelessly allow them all the time to have friends over so they would leave me alone. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by havonfamilyView Post
By the way, Happyinker and Sprtchick, you inspire me! You make so many cards at once. How do you find the time? I have two little ones always underfoot, but I love them And how do you make so many cards? How do you make them with out getting "bored" of making so many? That is my worry, that I will get burnt out, after making a few. How do you do it? Is there a tip or trick you could please share?

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

I routinely make 24 or even 48 and on ocassion even 96 of the same design (96 is a full package of 24 cut in quarters for card fronts). I like to have a lot so I can put them in the different piles or boxes for the things I do cards for. As for how do I have the time...for me it is pretty simple. Kids are all grown and gone, the youngest is at Pensacola Christian college clear across the country and my sweet hubby travels Monday through Friday for business...so I am alone most of the time. When I get home from work in the evening I always get a bite to eat and head straight for my stamp room...I love it in there and never seem to get tired of being in there creating. I am in that room until bedtime. I often get time on weekends too because hubby has errands and stuff to do. So I get a lot of time in my room.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

OH..one more trick for me...I use the GP 110# white cardstock that I purchase at Sams for my bases. I get 4 reams at a time and then run next door to Office Depot or Office Max (depends which Sams I hit) and have them cut it in half or quarters for me. Usually 3 reams in half and one in quarters. This costs me $either .75 or $1.00 per ream but is worth it in the time it saves me to cut it and the wear and tear on my cutter. This is a HUGE time saver...blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #37  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
amber, do you have pictures of the type of cards you supply for the fundraisers? is it all one card or do you make several fronts? do you supply envelopes? What does having it cut in quarters do for you? 1/2 is a card base. What am i missing. Great idea to have someone else do the cut work.
thanks

Last edited by SuG; 03-04-2010 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #38  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

havonfamily, it sounds like you buy premade bases. It would seem to me , unless you know where to get a great price, it would be cheaper to buy 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock and cut in 1/2 and score. that gives you an A2 card base.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Some of my cards are in my gallery. The amount of embellishments and layers will totally depend on my mood that day...seriously...it is what do I feel like doing today. I ONLY make the 4.25 x 5.50 size and they are ALL including the ones I send to the troops, individually packaged in clear envelopes with a white or ivory mailing envelope. I have some of my cardstock cut into quarters so it is easy to grab a piece for stamping or punching something out of. Sometimes I use white on white layers and all I have to do is grab a pile of these and run them through the cuttlebug. There is always a use for every piece of cut cardstock.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh..and I never get bored with making so many of one design..I always have the TV on and just keep plugging away...I never get enough time in my room...wish I didnt have to sleep or work...then I would be in my stamp room all the time...
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes