Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help to calculate costs when making wedding invitations

I have made a couple of samples of wedding invites that I was requested to make up. I can figure out the cost to charge for paper and envelope, but how do you calculate the other costs --- like glue, ink, time.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time and I do not want to underestimate.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

For glue and ink, I would just guesstamate how much you will use for the entire project- about how many invites will you get from one roll of tape/bottle of glue/etc. In addition, I would probably figure in the cost of a bottle of re-inker for the entire project- maybe 2 bottles if it's a big one.

As for time, calculate how much time you will spend designing, prep work, actual card construction, delivery, etc. take this amount of time, and multiply by an hourly rate- for me I use $20/hour- that's what I'm worth!

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2009, 10:31 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Colleen, I'm just curious how much you ended up charging them per card? I've been asked to make invites by some friends and have an idea how much they can afford. I know they can't afford to pay what I charge the cards I sell in general. They want 250!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 05:35 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I just made up some invites and thank you cards for friends of mine who were married in August and the way I figured out cost was as you have done broke down what it cost in paper to make each card then I added $1 for my time for each card. I mass produced so I was able to get about 30 cards done in one hour when putting them together. The most time took me when I was doing the embossing on the front of the card. As for tape I was going through 1 roll of ATG tape for every 50 cards and that was two layers per card plus a layer on the inside with the announcment on it. I would also ask the couple if they want you to put your "stamped by" on the back of the invite or not, with mine the bride told me that she wanted it on all of the invites so people would know who did them for her. Give yourself plenty of time to do these as it can take awhile depending on how many you need to do and I cut extra just incase I made a mistake and I also keep one for myself so that I had a sample to show others what I did. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the process of making 2000 Holiday cards for my hubby's employer. I broke everything down in terms of materials and time before I submitted quotes to the company. That includes EVERYTHING that you need to buy, as well as maintaining the quantity of items that you currently own. If you're stamping, include an ink refill to refill your pads when you're done. If you're using glitter, add a small pot of glitter to the total cost. Are you printing the details on the inside? Add a toner cartridge. These are all things that will add up in the end, and if you're not careful, you'll lose money.

Because you're looking to mass produce the cards, you will find that they are much quicker to make. Assembly lines are good! I got to the point where I could stamp 1000 images in just over 3 hours. If you can guestimate how long it will take for each step, you should then be able to figure out the total labour needed to make the cards. You can then take an hourly figure, like Colleen above, and multiply it out. For the cards I'm making, there is sponging, 4 different stamps, and glitter. I'm expecting to make about $25.00/hr for my time.

If the bride balks at the price, then see if there's something that she can live without on the cards (ie. remove a layer of paper, or use less expensive ribbon).

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes