Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-04-2009, 04:01 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must.... stop.... spending....

Ok, I am TRYING to cut back on my spending, I really am.... But last night I made the mistake of looking at the Hanna Stamps site and before I knew it, I had ordered four more Rileys. Who can resist Riley?? I am a lost cause!! ;)

Fan Club Member
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 04:05 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I hear you...just yesterday I ordered some stamps from 7 kids college fund ...I got to stop now ....BUT it is sooo much FUN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 04:29 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

I'm making a serious effort this year to keep it under control. I joined the Stamp to Spend challenge in January and it is helping. I'm making more cards and using up my stash. Last night DH and I ordered new carpeting for the upstairs - 4 bedrooms, hallway and stairs - so I will try to remain under control.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 04:36 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I am having trouble resisting too. I just bought a bunch of patterned papers from Eclectic Paperie. They have this new Graphic 45 stuff, wow, its too cool! I have decided to just not look when my favorite stamp places have new releases because I just can't resist!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 04:36 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I'm doing the Stamp to Spend Challenge as well. I find I am using alot more of my stock that I already have. I just sold alot of my older stamps and used the money to buy some cardstock so its like I didn't spend any of my money at all. I even still have $60+ dollars of my profit left! Whoo hoo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 04:41 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Maybe I need to do the stamp to spend challenge too because I neeed to start using stuff and not buying more..lol How does it work?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 05:04 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I'm NEW and I already have a problem spending LOL, But I'm doing so good this week cuz I haven't bought anything so far but it's only Wednesday lol. I'm going to try to go for the whole week with no purchases

The stamp to spend challenge sounds really awesome - How do we join?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 05:45 AM   #8  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 606 Likes on 426 Posts

I unsubscribed from a lot of the store emails, it has helped. I like the above challenge of just going one week at a time. I am doing okay this week. I have to go make some cards. And I have started scrapping again and that uses a lot of stuff. I am forcing myself to use my stamps on my sb pages and they are turning out pretty well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 05:51 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I was good for a minute.....I sell some of my cards and was trying to solely use the money I get from those to buy stuff but then the new Penny Black catalog came out and well that blew that. Oh and then there is the new Close to my Heart catalog and the new Stampendous stamps and it keeps going and going!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 05:57 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I started out the new year trying to stop...I did horrible in January, but renewed my dedication is February. I have 700 to pay on my credit card and then I can spend the money I make after that, without using the cc. It should take 7 weeks, at 100 a week. I can't wait to spend money again!

Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 05:59 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

Melissa, I have the exact same problem as you, Hanna Stamps rocks! I have become addicted to Riley and now the Hannas. I have been trying to not spend this year too but I have placed three orders with Hannas stamps in four weeks. The first one was because I discovered Riley and bought 14 of them. The second one was to get 4 more Rileys and my first two sets of Hanna. And I placed another order yesterday for the two new Rileys and two of the new Hanna sets from this month's release. Help!!! I just need to get on their design team and I would get my stamps for free. Hey, it doesn't hurt to dream now does it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 05:59 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Lol. I know. I've given myself a 150$ a paycheck spending limit. Of course, I don't always stick to that...but I am Trying and I've been doing pretty well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

I'm doing better, but still weak! I do love Riley's, but I just haven't had time to stamp..... lots going on, so it's been a little easier.... so much cute stuff. I am also glad that the nearest Archiver's is 35 min. away because they had some new cute stuff in their e-mail!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear all of you - trying to stay home and off the computer. I have been trying to use the stuff I have and donate to 'Cards for a Cause' or locally donate cards. My church has a group of crafters that make cards and sell them after service. The proceeds go to a food/clothes closet.

I did just buy a hand mixer with 'found' money. My daughter laughed when I described the spending money. I got a gift card as a rebate for getting a new cell phone and took my aluminum cans to a recycle place so lo and behold $$$
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 07:23 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Guilty as charged...

For my last online purchase, I called my DH at work to say "mind if I spend $100 on crafting stuff?" He said "no problem", so it's his fault that I spent it, ha!ha! It wouldn't be so bad if there was only one parcel of "stuff" en route to our house at the moment...sigh...

My excuse is that my new stamping space (our basement) is being developed at the moment, so, even though I can't really get a good crafting session in right now, in a month or so I will have enough new stuff to keep me busy for a while (yeah, whatever... ;) )

My pitifully neglected gallery

StampingReckLesley (my pitifully neglected blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 07:25 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Default what's the stamp to spend challenge?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryAnnKView Post
I'm making a serious effort this year to keep it under control. I joined the Stamp to Spend challenge in January and it is helping. I'm making more cards and using up my stash. Last night DH and I ordered new carpeting for the upstairs - 4 bedrooms, hallway and stairs - so I will try to remain under control.
How does that work? I NEED HELP TOO! Its so bad. I want SU stuff, I want Copics, I want Nesties, want want want!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenjoy71View Post
Maybe I need to do the stamp to spend challenge too because I neeed to start using stuff and not buying more..lol How does it work?
Nah...it doesn't work (well not in my case anyway!!):rolleyes:
I never dreamt I spent so much on crafty goodies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 07:34 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23csView Post
I am having trouble resisting too. I just bought a bunch of patterned papers from Eclectic Paperie. They have this new Graphic 45 stuff, wow, its too cool! I have decided to just not look when my favorite stamp places have new releases because I just can't resist!!
I am going to place an order there today too. Do you know if they have any coupon codes right now? Any little bit helps!!!!

Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Default stamp to spend...

for those who have asked about how stamp to spend works, you can check it out here

~~ today. . . ~~

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Yesterday I went to Joann's JUST to get some Black & White dp. (I only got 4 sheets, because they didn't have a good supply) ANYWAY, I left with a bill of $45.00. I found a circle punch that I JUST had to have, at least it WAS 40% off. I did find a Glitter Mat Stack of paper that had about 20 sheets of Black & White paper (4.5 x 6.5). Then I found some Black & White buttons, and some ribbon........... Then there is my order I want to place with SU, I'd love to get a Sarah Kay Stamp, I need more Purple Primas.... I don't think it'll ever stop!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 07:51 AM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

It's not easy. I have been on a cutting-back plan for about three years and each little success really adds up. I have about $300 each month to play around with and that includes all my crafting stuff, lunch or a movie with the girls, plus my shoes, clothes, etc. I have some tough decisions to make each week but I'm learning to do what I have to do and not get depressed over the things I can't have. Like I said, it is a long process and you have to set your goals, budget, lists, etc., weekly and see how you do and what changes you need to make.
Good luck!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a problem lol. I have stopped all ordering this week and staying away from the enabler alerts. I didn't even turn my PC on last night

What killed me is I went to the the Hanna Stamps release party and I should have known better LOL. Being new I had no clue how big of a no-no that was. We tend to envy the DT members as they have all the stamps and then we want all the stamps - BAD lol.

Since I'm new there are lots of things I need still. I need to buy more cardstock for stamping and I don't want to settle for the cheapy stuff I bought to start lol. So I sit and bite my nails and pray this week ends quickly lol. I plan to get myself down to only ordering 2 times a month. BIG CHALLENGE!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 08:03 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just put in a large ink, reinker and cardstock order with SU and now I have enough to just play with my stamp sets. I have enough sets that I can make just about any card I will need right now.

I have three large totes of stuff getting ready to have another garage sale (last one netted me 500.00) and I am trying to be very careful of seeing stuff that is so cute. I am so not a cute person and do not need all the cute stamp sets out there.

I did not even buy one stamp set from the current SU catalogue. I really have enough flower, backgrounds and word sets for now.

I have a friend that owns a stamp store and she lets me play on my days off. I just learned about embossing paste, brass stencils and micro glitter. So very nice. I have managed to not buy anything just yet. I just bring her lunch and coffee and she lets me play, oh I do buy the cardstock from her when make a card or two.

I think that we can get so bogged down with stuff that we cannot really do our craft justice. At least that is my big problem.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

My friend once told me - "it's the thrill of the hunt"

I think it is "the need to have"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just placed a large SU order today..lots of preorder stuff from the new mini and a few packages of paper. I also have a card loaded at 7kids and papertrey and that doesnt include the TAC order my sis is sending off this weekend...YIKES...I do use a lot of the supplies for the soldier project I am working on but.....there are just so many yummy things out there. My budget is less than $100.00 per month but I have some birthday money right now to spend. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

wow. why is it that stampers are so addicted to spending? it would be interesting to analyze. If you think about it, spending money is kind of linked with having a hobby isn't it? My dad drag races, and over the racing season it's "I need a new transmission," or "I need new turbo booster cupling doohickies" (I never know what he's talking about) and my teaching partner has a sailboat and it's the same thing.

It's unfortunate when you hear of people that don't have a hobby because our hobbies are the things that make us unique, give us purpose, and enrich our lives, but really, if we didn't have a hobby, we'd all be rich!! (but boring as hell...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Oh man - I really feel your pain! I joined the Stamp to spend in January too. I'm really "in the Red" but it has slowed me down quite a bit. It's just so hard to control myself sometimes and there are so many things I'd love to buy....more house mouse stamps, a Big Shot, Flower Soft....Ugh - the list could go on forever. :rolleyes: Good thing I joined an altered art swap and I have 500 pictures from our Disney trip to scrap. Maybe I can work off some of the $ I spent and then feel ok about buying more stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I agree with Tobi's that we'd all be boring (post #26). Not sure about rich, I am sure it would go on something else.
Doodle Dee's shopping twice a month is good. I usually order once every couple of months from a local Irish supplier where I get all the basics - glue, tape, card stock, knife blades and so on. Then pretty much every month from the main place I shop in the States. Anything else has to be justified by having sold enough cards to at least half pay for what I am ordering. Got to say it's so much easier not to feel guilty since I got a well-paid part-time job, even though DH never minded my buying stuff once I didn't spend money we didn't have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Of course, we CAN spend ALL our birthday $$ or Christmas $$ on anything we want to - and if we just ahppen to need that $200 in new stamps and stuff - the new coat, shoes, food, will just have to wait. Oh, did I add food? hmmmm, well I could stand to loose a few lbs anyway
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Well I started off Feb. not knowing if my DH was gonna have a job in March since his company is closing down his office and moving all operations to their headquartes in another state. I stopped spending money on my hobby and other non-necessaties. Then i found out Luminarte was shutting down, and I still had a 100 more twinkling H2Os to collect. My DH said to not worry about stuff and just order them so I did (feeling very guilty about it, but I said a little prayer for his job!). Last week we found out that he has been asked to transfer to the headquarters so I went back to my bad spending habits (I have never put us in debt over it).

I'm expecting 2 packages to arrive at the end of this week. I also went shopping today and spent a couple hundred dollars on stuff. I managed to do this while skipping over Michael's, JoAnn's, and my LSS! I've also got a $300 SU order for next week. You should see my wishlists from lots of online stores!

Do I need any of this stuff- Nope. Why do i keep buying more stuff? I have made perfectly good cards and scrapbook pages without all of this stuff. I though about my spending habits and have realized that when I'm at home and able to play with my stuff, I don't think about shopping and hardly touch the computer either, but when I'm away at school (430miles away from home), all I think about is shopping for more supplies. Thankfully school is about to be done so I can spend more time playing with what I already have and less time thinking about what more I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

It's so nice to see that I'm not alone! Now if only I could get my husband to understand this! I'm in the nesting stage of my pregnancy and have been cleaning out/reorganizing my stamp space. It's amazing how much 'stuff' I have that I NEVER use. I know the 'stamp to spend' won't work for me, but I definitely need to create a rule that I can't put it 'away' until I use it in some way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh you all are making me feel so much better. I may be bad... but at least I'm not lonely. Heehee.
I am out of pop-dots. This means a trip to M's.... and do you think there's any chance that I will make it out of the with ONLY the pop-dots?? *sigh* Maybe I should just send my BF in there to get them for me. LOL

I am going to try not to make any more 'major' craft purchases in the near future except some of the new Nesties. That's something I really want and am budgeting for.

Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

oooooo. I NEED some new nesties!

I am soo glad there are sooo many of US!

I used to think I had a problem - but this seems to be common, so it can't be a problem.
Reply With Quote Likes