Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-10-2006, 08:10 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most used SU products?

Okay, so I'm fairly new to stamping. I own about 4-5 sets of SU stamps and I stamp cards (not scrapbooks or other stuff). I'm wondering what are your most used SU products?

Which SU stamp sets do you use most?

What are your "must have" tools or products?

What are your favorite easy decorative extras (i.e. eyelets, etc.)?

I'm only interested in SU products...I don't want to get caught up in "collecting" stamps from the LSS or craft store. And I have brand loyalty...once I find a product I like, I stick with it. I'm a former CM consultant and although there are so many scrapbooking products out there, I know I haven't visited a LSS for over 2 years. I like how easy it is to coordinate products that are already coordinated for you! That's why I say SU only.

TIA!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 08:53 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I find the easiest thing is Embossing Powder. I could never live without it. I embossed everything when I started stamping and it was easy to get the desired effect. I love the eyelets but the brads are super easy. I'd start on the brads. I like the color co-ordinating eyelets though. Definately get some background stamps if you don't have any already and you are on your way.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I also love the fact that eerything matches-it's such a time saver. My personnal favorites are the watercolor crayons, pencils and chalks. The crayons seem pricey, but the fact that you get all 48 colors in one box, plus you can change the shades and mix so the possibilities are endless. I have always loved the pencils with a blender pen or aqua painter, but the crayons ar my new favorite. I also love the vintage brads and the ribbons-great quality and again it all matches! hth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 10:33 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

hmm.. my favorite set definately varies.. but my most used 'sets' are the flower sets, like watercolor garden, easy elogence, petal prints, more petal prints.. the watercolor flowers..a nd print pattern.
i overuse those stamps.

my favorite tool?? hmm.. that is hard.. but ultimately it would be my paper piercer adn brads.. i love the look of them.

my fave accessorie?? brads and ribbon.. way overuse them!

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a few more than 4 sets....and I have a few sets I wish I hadn't purchased. So, you're wise to take a slow and methodical approach. I became a demo before I had heard about SCS. Had I been out here first, I would have been able to see what sets are worthwhile. Here's what I now do before purchasing a set.... If I see it in the catty and like it, I go to the SCS gallery and see how many pictures it has posted in it. The more popular a set is, the more posts it will have. Then you can see the samples and see how well it suits your style. Here's an example...I had been scared off of purchasing Roses in Winter because someone in my upline made fun of it - calling it Old Lady Roses. But check out the gallery for this set. It's amazing. Nothing looks bad. It's one of the most beautiful and versitle sets I've ever seen...and it's also not new. But it's a tried and true staple. Have fun out there shopping and this site will give you so many answers to your question :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 11:12 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Good questions! Here are the things I use almost every time I stamp:

black Stazon ink and Versmark (not exclusively SU, but SU does carry them)
SU Watercolor crayons
Canvas background stamp
1/16" hole punch
brads (love the SU vintage brads)
ribbon (mostly the SU gingham ribbons)

I have about 30 SU sets, but I'm not sure if there is any one set I use the most. Lately it's been Simply Said and Touch of Nature. But I also love Shapes & Shadows, Best of Cluck, Loads of Love, Easy Elegance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I agree with citycooks, that it is good to take it slow. Although that comment is "don't do as I do, do as I say" because I went hog wild and purchased most items that were being demo'd at all the camps and workshops I went to! My demo makes such cute stuff! And there are a few sets that I could have done without because there is usually something comparable in other sets that would do just fine.

I think the best items to purchase would be sets that have a variety of holiday sayings and images so you can stamp for any occasion with just one set. There are so many to chose from. My first purchases were a set of the pastel stampin' spots, and the set of pastels which are the chalk squares in all the colors, a package of 12 x 12 papers that contained all 48 colors, and a set of white cards and envelopes, along with the stamp set "A Greeting for All Reasons". That gave me a lot of options for different cards. Then the fun began as I attended other workshops and camps, and I now have the tool set, some embossing powders, some dry embosssing plates, a variety of brads and eyelets, more stamp sets and stampin' spots in the rest of the colors. Two larger ink pads that I think are a must are the basic black and the white ink. Brads and eyelets are my favorite embellisments, along with a piercing tool. They can make a blah card look wow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I love ribbon!!! I use it on almost every card... I also love the floral sets. I love roses in winter, heartfelt thanks and petal prints the most. I am also starting to like background stamps more and more. I love linen and canvas the most. I think shapes and shadows is a very versatile stamp set. It is retiring this year, but some to some people that doesn't matter.
Jeanette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use the eyelets quite a bit. I started with basic colors (white, and soft subtles because those are the colors I tend to make most of my cards with). I highly recommend getting the little hole punch that is the same size as your eyelets. It's light years easier than pounding out the little hole in the paper.

I also use my heat gun and embossing powders quite a bit... but again, you can do a lot with just a few basic colors of EP... Get clear, black, white, and maybe another color that would compliment the sets you have to begin with and take it from there.

Other things that are used frequently:

Buttons (the mini glue dots are a must for sticking buttons on IMO!)
Ribbon
Sponges for applying color from the pad to the paper
Brayer & Kaliedacolor (sp?) pads
Glossy paper & SU! markers
Watercolor Pencils & Blender pens (not a fan of the crayons!)

My favorite sets are old sets, so I don't know how much it will help you. I love Happy Healing and Stipple Butterfly. I have about 80 sets and I think those two have seen the most use!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

My most used set is Iddy Biddy Backgrounds. It is the easiest way to add visual interest and have some shred of control when adding those coordinating background speckles.

My favorite floral sets are All Natural and In Full Bloom. You can't go wrong with In Full Bloom - look at how many examples there are in the gallery. (Which is an easy way to gauge the popularity of sets.)

I recommend a versamark pad, detail black embossing powder, clear embossing powder, gold or silver cord, and a small hole punch. And very sharp scissors, ultra smooth white cardstock, glossy white cardstock, and a roll of your favorite adhesive.

I don't think I could do without a paper cutter/trimmer, either.

You can build from there on how you want to add color - there are lots of choices. I think many people start out with markers or pastels.

Hope this helps.

Nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 02:56 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Location: I am a Utah desert rat! I fry in the summer, but, oh, the winters are spectacular!

I just love cardstock! I am always able to scrapbook, make cards, and do any paper craft as long as I have it. I love that everything at SU matches. It has made my life easier!

I use the 1/16 and 1/8 hole punches all the time to either add brads or thread ribbon. They are a must for me. Have fun stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by liandrin16
Which SU stamp sets do you use most?
I use "Itty Bitty Backgrounds" a lot. great for distressing and aging.
"Sincere Salutations" is a great sentiment set as well. Depends if you are scrapbooking or card making. I find that different stamp sets are needed for either craft. "Little Pieces" is also good for scrapbooking. And a couple of alphabet stamp sets (a good simple one and nice whimsical one in 2 different sizes --> titles and subtitles)... the list could go on! But, that's what I would start with.

Quote:

What are your "must have" tools or products?
Background stamps are a definite must! So is a SAMJ.

Quote:

What are your favorite easy decorative extras (i.e. eyelets, etc.)?
jeepers, how do I pick! I love brads and they work for almost everything and don't require an extra tool (if you prefer not to use eyelets). I use eyelets occasionally, and ribbon as well. The HH is great for embellishing too

That's my 2 cents worth! Have fun perusing your IBC!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 06:09 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Background stamps (if Linen is in the new IB&C) get that one. It just gives the card such a nice look)
2. Brads for fast and easy embellishments
3. Ribbon (I like grosgrain and gingham)
4. My favorite stamp sets are changing a lot. Right now it's Looks like spring and Unfrogettable (hope they will make it into the new catalog)
5. I also just now started to use my pastel chalks, had them for a while, but didn't use them a lot, now I just love to color in those frogs from unfrogettable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 06:18 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Beautiful BC with my soulmate and he is a stamper too!!

1) Ribbon I use it on almost every card
2) Background stamps add so much texture
3) Brads or eyelettes
4) prima flowers although not available through SU good purchase
My favorite sets are probably roses in winter, unfrogettable and heartfelt thanks
Diaries Of A Stamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Default Most Used SU product

I use Heartfelt Thanks over and over and over. It is extremely versatile. I love that it has 3 sets of "pairs" to do 2 step stamping with.

I also use the background stamp "Print Pattern" ALL the time, and Linen is a personal favorite for cards for friends (but unless it is in the new catalog, it might be hard to find because it was a mini-catalog special).

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Su cardstock. I love that the colors and inks match each other- it makes a subtle card "work" so much better because the colors actually MATCH.

I use a lot of grosgrain ribbon, and a TON of the rainbow organdy. (Love that stuff- it should come in the starter set!) I love the textural effect ribbon offers, and it makes the card seem a little more "polished".

I'd suggest a couple of non-specific sets (I'd normally reccomend Elegant Ornaments, Mostly Flowers or Close to Nature; but they are retiring) that you can use for both male & female friends/family, as well as something that can be used year round.

Go slow, and make sure you LOVE what you buy- don't buy it because it's "cute". Really be able to USE it. (I have a stinker set that I'm kicking myself over).

Hope this helps you,
Heather

~Thank you, James Lee Burke. You just summed up my husband in one sentence.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 06:34 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think brads and ribbon are a must. All you need to go with them is a 1/16" hole punch. Also a heat tool and brayer ASAP. So many ways to use both. I always use a brayer on my BG stamps, which I can't live without. If I had 1 BG stamp it would be Linen. Also wheels work great for BG's. I like my jumbo wheels the best and you can cheat and use your ink pads to ink the wheel until you get ink cartridges. TP and baby wipes work for smearing ink on CS, but work especially well on Glossy white CS. Also the variety packs of CS in the 4 color groups are a great way to see what colors you are going to use the most.....at least at first. You will soon want all of the colors, but can't get all of them unless you rob a bank........hmmmmmm not a bad idea :-)
I love flowers.......so "All" of my flower sets. A good versatile set with your favorite theme is good. I think if I had 1 sentiment set it would be Sincere Sentiments. I better stop............I could go on and on. Happy stamping and any ?'s any of us would be happy to help. Another SU and SCS lover. Nancy

P.S. Thinking about sets...I would pick Petal Prints for flowers and for fun Best of Cluck or Unfrogettable.

Last edited by nancy littrell; 06-10-2006 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile Thank you!

Thanks to all of you for your input. I see some patterns in your suggestions & I will definately take it to heart. Looks like a background stamp is a must, as that is one thing most of you suggested. Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2006, 11:46 AM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In case you don't already have it, my most used "tool" is the stampin' scrubber (or whatever it's called). That thing is amazing! When I first started stamping, I used wet paper towels to clean my stamps (it was before this thing came out). I waited to get the scrubber thinking it was a useless purchase. Boy was I wrong! Now I can't stamp without it!

My favorite sets are the ones that are most versatile. These are often the flower sets for me. I also like the ones with basic greetings/sayings, as they allow you to quickly add a simple sentiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2006, 03:58 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 198 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm a scrapbooker first, so my first investment was in a alphabet set. Right now my favorite sets are Best Blossoms, Frolicking Frogs (which they are keeping!), and Unfrogettable. I love my eyelets and my buttons for embellishments, but I am starting to use the fancy fibers more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2006, 08:55 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I have to agree with Kikikaren, the stampn' scub is the BEST tool. That is what changed stamping from work to fun for me. Before stampin' scrub, my desk would be littered with dirty stamps, waiting for me to take to the bathroom and scrub with an old toothbrush, and I would always set my arm down on some inky surface!! Now it is so easy to clean them and put them back in a box, I'm much more likely to stamp.

Embelishments?? ribbon and brads, no question at all. I think all my cards have one or both of these on them. And if you can afford it get all the colors of grosgrain, there is nothing more frustrating than going "this would look awesome with chocolate ribbon, dang, I didn't buy that one yet!!!"

Carmen
(by the way, chocolate ribbon is my favorite color of ribbon!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2006, 09:12 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Most used: Signo pen, certain colors of cardstock and ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 06:20 AM   #22  
Inking Addict

Right now my favorite stamp set is Flower filled. I am in love with the boots, when you look in the catalog it does not look like a good set but I have made so many different cards with this stamp set. I used this stamp set for mothers day card and they turned out great.

I love to use ribbon and I also love brads and eyelets. I recently bought the crop-a-dile which I know is not SU but it makes setting eyelets, brads, and snaps so easy. You dont have to hammer anything and it does all of it in one step.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 06:28 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

I can't narrow it down to one set that I aboslutely love! I love Unfrogettable, Paint Prints is extremely versitile to me, Natural Beauty is my FAVORITE set if I have to chose one above all others.

Tools? Paper piercer, hands down...I like to poke holes in things.

But I do love the brads and eyelets and things that match the paper....must collect them all!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 09:28 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Well, I definitely have more than 4 SU sets, but I don't think that I have a specific favourite. It depends on the card I am making and the mood I am in!

Likely my used product is the markers. They are so easy to work with, and you can create different stamps by using more than one colour. They are also great to colour images in.

I too, love the fact that everything matches, and there isn't and searching around for the perfect colour match. Everything is right there in front of you to choose!

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 07:38 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

$ Most Used Accessories:
1) Watercolor Wonder Crayons - A MUST HAVE!
2) Aqua Painter
3) Stampin Scub
4) Perfect Layers

Stamps Sets Most Used
1) Canvas BG
2) Nice & Easy Notes (all occasion/either sex)
3) Terrific Tulips (sorry it is retiring)
4) Itty Bitty BG

Favorite Decorative Extras:
Ribbons, Ribbons. Ribbons (hope SU comes out with a Polka Dot)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 09:25 PM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

Wow - thank you for asking this question! This is my first post and I needed these tips!

I'll definitely be getting the following in addition to stamps and ink:

1) background stamp(s)
2) stamp scrubber
3) watercolor pencils or chalks

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Likes