Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-18-2011, 04:35 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More unmounted stamping questions

I have two questions and would really appreciate some help.
First I have just bought my first thin mount stamps and acrylic blocks from stampinup, and have found that the stamps are not very "clingy". They actually seem to have trouble sticking to the acrylic block, even when I press them.. And they definitely do NOT stick to the inside of the case- they just fall in a heap at the bottom of the case. Has anyone else had this problem?
Second, I tried unmounting ONE old set from the wood blocks. I followed one of the demonstrations I saw here and used Aleene's tack it over and over. I find those stamps TOO sticky- does anyone know of a way to lessen the stickiness? I actually tore one of the clear film sentiment sheets from the back of the stamp when I removed it from a block because it was super sticky. Thanks for your help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 05:28 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I've heard that the SU! cling stamps do not stick very well with the image stickers on the back. I didn't put them on mine, and haven't had any problems with them clinging.

It seems to me, back in the day, someone had a video tutorial of how she put the stickers on - she felt that the cling problem came from the sticker stretching as it came off its backing; then after it was on the stamp it kind of shrunk back to its original size and warped the stamp. Not enough to notice in the stamped image, but enough that the stamp didn't want to cling. She had a whole system of taking the backing paper off the stamp, sticking the stamp back into its hole in the rubber, then peeling back the paper from only 1/2 the sticker, letting it sit for a bit before sticking it to the stamp and then sticking down the other side of the sticker. Way too much work for me
I've also heard that it helps to trim the stickers before putting them on, so that there's a border of pure cling foam around the outside of the stamp to help it stick. Also more work than I want to go thru, when the cling foam alone works great.

To get them to cling better, you can coat them with a thin layer of Tack It Over & Over - which you already know is really sticky! Here's how I work with the TIO&O if I have sticker images on the backs of my stamps:

Trim around the image on the sticker, so that when you put it on the back of the stamp there's a border of cushion that doesn't have sticker on it. Once the sticker is on, coat the whole thing with a thin layer of TIO&O. Because you have the border of foam, there's no edge of sticker to start pulling up and tearing - the TIO&O kind of seals it to the foam. Once the TIO&O is dry, stick the stamp to your arm or the back of your hand, or even your jeans. The oil from your skin/lint from your jeans helps to overcome the excellent sticking power of the TIO&O. Trust me, it will still stick for a long, long time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 05:53 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Is your block really clean? I find if there are finger prints on it they don't stick well even if pressed for like 10 seconds. I do think the plastic they use in the cases don't make a good stick. CD cases stick better for me. But they won't fall out of the SU cases so no worries.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 06:04 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've unmounted all my stamps and used Aleene's Tack It Over and Over, too. What I found was that unless I painted the back of the stamp with a VERY thin coat of the glue the stamps were too sticky just like you mentioned. I'm a part of a SU group and everybody in the group has complained about the lack of stickiness, too, so we've all used a VERY thin coat of Tack It Over and Over on those stamps which solved the problem.

You can use Goo Gone to remove some (if not all) of the Tack It Over and Over to make it less sticky.

You can also clean the acrylic blocks with rubbing alcohol to bring them back to being like brand new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 06:48 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I also think that a thin coat is much better. For the wood mounted stamps that I was converting, I put on a thin layer of Alene's clear tacky glue between the foam and the image sheet to keep it on there when using the Tack it over and over. I didn't think there was enough adhesive left when I peeled them off the blocks to stick them together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have been using ez mount and it works well. For the clear mount that comes directly from su, I don't use the stickers. I also keep the rubber backing that they come in so that I can quickly see if I am missing any stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RosieLPView Post
I've unmounted all my stamps and used Aleene's Tack It Over and Over, too. What I found was that unless I painted the back of the stamp with a VERY thin coat of the glue the stamps were too sticky just like you mentioned. I'm a part of a SU group and everybody in the group has complained about the lack of stickiness, too, so we've all used a VERY thin coat of Tack It Over and Over on those stamps which solved the problem.

You can use Goo Gone to remove some (if not all) of the Tack It Over and Over to make it less sticky.

You can also clean the acrylic blocks with rubbing alcohol to bring them back to being like brand new.
In addition to this advice, after I let the Ailene's TIOAO dry, I stick the stamp to the palm of my hand to remove some of the stickiness. Then I use as usual. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you so much for all the great advice. I may have just made my layer of tack it over and over too thick. And also thanks for the good advice about putting a small amount of the tack it over and over on my new su stamps to make them stickier- I am going to give it a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

One more thing...if you haven't already been doing this - let the newly glued stamp sit for 24 hours before using it. That gives the glue the time to cure properly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I use Sailor 2-in-1 Glue, and have never had a problem (plus, it comes in a marker, so it's very easy to use). One of the bloggers I read thins here TIOAO with a bit of water before coating the stamps. I don't put the image stickers on ANY of my stamps, because I've found that over time the stickers warped or peeled off or had other issues, so I take them off as they break down and put a new coat of glue on the bare rubber. New stamps never get the sticker to begin with...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've heard of the TIO&O and that it does wonders but to just be careful and dilute it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using Aileen's TIO&O for 5+ years...It takes such a thin coat it should be drying as you apply! I use a fan brush that I barley touch into the TIO&O...When they are dry (usually 15-20 minutes) I lay it over my forearm to remove any excess tack!

I have never lost a stamp off a block, they have never lost their tack and I love using them unmounted...

I do not use the foam cushion that comes with SU stamps, I peel it off and I do not use their cling sticker because it does no stick!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

The best way I've gotten my SU cling stamps to work is to put Tack N Peel on my acrylic blocks. I do use the stickers on my stamps so that may be why they won't cling directly to the block, but they do great on the Tack N Peel. I have to be careful when I peel the stamps off because the stickers sometimes try to stick to the Tack N Peel. I was able to find Tack N Peel at Joanns and use a coupon so it was very economical, and I just leave it adhered to my blocks all the time.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use a little soap and water after you have put your sticker on the back of your cling mount stamps from SU!, they will stick just fine. Make sure your block is clean too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree with everyone here. I am in the process of unmounting all of my SU wood and use Alene's TIO&O. Extremely thin layer is the key, and if there is too much, I have a piece of old jeans/denim, I just stamp it on there once to get that sticky layer off.

Also make sure your blocks are clean. I use eyeglass cleaner with that soft cloth. Works great.

And your SU items in the dvd cases, keep the whole outline rubber part and put that in your case to "hold" those stamps in place in the case. Does that make sense?

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2011, 04:54 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Default Un mounting rubber stamps from wood blocks!!

I do/use what "Fairsinger" posted, T
"Tack -N- Peel. This will save you a lot of time and hassle! When I first started un-mounting I also used the A.T.I.O.&.O. method. Mine were also very sticky and it seemed like it took forever! I also wanted the sticker on my stamps when I un-mounted them but learned that for me it really didn't make a difference. So now there is no stickers!

The tack -n- peel can be purchased at Joann's. Trace your block on it cut it out and apply it to your block, that is it! The stamps that your un-mounting from your wooden blocks you take down to the bare rubber. I was hesitant at first but have NO regrets at all. I still have some stamps to un-mount and I take all mine down to the bare rubber. When I'm finished with those I think I will get into un-mounting my wheels next.

Your blocks can be washed in warm sudsy water and then air dry them and the stickiness will still be in tact!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthenoniView Post
I've heard of the TIO&O and that it does wonders but to just be careful and dilute it.
That was my mistake last week! I put it on full strength to my background stamps so I could use them on an acrylic rocker block and they were too sticky. I ended up removing them from the foam and am now mounting them on SU's Cling mount foam. I only have four to do, so it won't be too bad, but I have learned that dilution is the key.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

When unmounting and using ATIO&O, do you keep the foam? Or do you just use the rubber stamp? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw on a website to "huff" on the clear block...sort of steam it up a little Then stick the stamp on it. It works great for me. I have not tried to use the same stamp over and over so I don't know how long it lasts, but if you are doing just one stamp of the image, you might want to try that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kymomView Post
When unmounting and using ATIO&O, do you keep the foam? Or do you just use the rubber stamp? Thanks for your help.
I've not used it but I would keep the foam for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Keep the foam. You need that "cushion" when stamping.

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #22  
Inking Addict

I don't use the image stickers. The clear mount foam is great by itself. I don't really think we need the stickers. They are nice and all but you get used to using stamps without them. As long as the block is clear and you put the stamp on straight, it's easy to place it where you want. Love unmounted rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kymomView Post
It's totally a matter of preference. Some stamps work just fine without the cushion, some need it. What I usually do is if the foam comes off the wooden block without tearing or getting nasty, I leave it on. If the foam wants to stay with the wood then I pull off just the rubber and test it with a little double stick tape. If it stamps ok, then I put the ATIO&O on the bare rubber.

I prefer the foam cushion, but not so much that I would go to extreme measures to try and get it off the wood if it just doesn't want to leave
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are using bare rubber, it is best if you have some kind of cushion underneath to compensate for there being no foam. So stamp on a stack of papers or even some magazines.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes