Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-05-2010, 12:13 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Money is tight - what have you stopped buying?

Money is tight these days. I walk into a local store and see cute things, but I don't buy like I used to.

What have you stopped buying lately that you used to get all the time? What do you keep buying?
---------------------------------------------------------------

Stopped - stickers, chipboard, pricey embellishments, stamps, cutting and embossing dies, ribbon, entire lines of printed papers

Still shopping for - adhesive tape, liquid glue, chalk inks, StazOn, solid cardstock, a couple of pieces from a line of printed papers instead of two of each of the designs in the entire line
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stopped: buying every single paper from a line, now I just pick and choose my favourites and I try to be as discerning as possible. I have also stopped buying Copic markers because I have almost all that I want/need (~250) so that's a huge expense I don't have to shell out for.

Still shopping for: ribbons, papers (like I said), some stamps, but not as many as I used to buy, and I have a subscription for Silhouette shapes, so I'm always buying those!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Designer paper. I have a drawer full of full pages and scraps, so either I use those or just buy a sheet or two from the local scrapbook store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

The biggest difference in how I buy now vs. how I used to buy is that I'll only purchase an item that I have a definite plan for, as opposed to just whether or not I like it... I'm finding that I often walk out of the store with my coupon still in my hand, unused, and I'm okay with that!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I have really tried to cut back on my paper spending. IT'S SO HARD!!!!! LOL But I've been doing well, and only buy a few sheets every now and then ;) And then every time I pick up something, I ask myself 'Do I really need this?' If the answer is 'No', then I put it back on the shelf. It's been sooooo helpful!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
The biggest difference in how I buy now vs. how I used to buy is that I'll only purchase an item that I have a definite plan for, as opposed to just whether or not I like it... I'm finding that I often walk out of the store with my coupon still in my hand, unused, and I'm okay with that!
This is exactly how I'm trying to control my spending. I have a whole room full of stuff and should be using that - especially since I'm not working right now. But I still slip sometimes and buy stuff just because I want it. I'm still trying to make myself distinguish between a want and a need when it comes to crafting supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Everything.
I just had to empty and then fill back my bead/craft room so my dad could take the carpet out and put in flooring, and I can no longer deny it is too full.
Now I am only going to buy something if I specifically need it for something I am doing. LOL, that always seems to happen, you know? With a million stamp sets, suddenly my Goddaughter wants a seahorse name frame.... didn't have those, so had to purchase!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm finding lately that I am only buying what I run out of (stickles, cardstock, dimensionals) and the occasional sheet of designer paper. I have what seems like a million stamps, so I mostly work with new DT stuff and *try* to use some of my sets, SU included so that I'm not wanting to buy every new stamp set out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

I'm trying to use up the stuff I have.

I will only buy exactly what I need for a certain project. No more buying something just because I like it and "may" use it in the future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I cut back on everything.
I stopped buying embossing folders and MS punches. I LOVE both of them , but I have plenty of them. I stopped buying patterned paper because I have plenty of it to use.

I only bought 3 new sets of Spellbinders dies, 2 for Halloween and the Fanciful Holiday set . I limited myself to 1 Halloween stamp set and 1 new Christmas stamp set from SU plus two Christmas sets from JustRite.

The only things I am buying are things like adhesives, pop dots or ribbon if I need a specific color. I would like to buy the Spellbinder Mitten dies and the Sympathy nested set from JustRite when I can, but Christmas gifts for my family come first.
This is the second year we have not gotten a COLA increase for Social Security and I know a lot of working people did not get a wage increase either. Yet the cost of basics keeps going up.

Sometimes I feel like we are all paddling our canoes with "one oar" and just going in circles LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Nothing....is that bad (granted I don't have things like kids to pay for, hehe)? I think it might be....and I just got an extra $100 in my pocket....eek!!!!! I always say I will cut back and then I don't.....maybe this month.....

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I haven't really made the effort to not buy, I just haven't been buying. I haven't really been in the mood for being in my room. We have been busy with sports and kid stuff, plus other family issues. I didn't even make Halloween cards....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #13  

I'd have to say pretty much everything. I started out as demo to make some extra money to stock my scraproom. I went a wee bit overboard I think. LOL! I have enough stuff in my stamp/scrap space for 3 lifetimes.

I mostly stick to restocking stuff I run out of and buying the bare minimum to keep my SU business afloat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

My buget has always been a bit slim. Between $25.00 and $50.00 a month. Lately it's been about zero!
My finances will be taking a turn for the better here real soon....then the sky is the limit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I am on a bit of a spending freeze myself. I have so much stuff - patterned paper especially. I am only buying those things that I have to have like adhesives and the occasional sheet of patterned paper. Not buying anymore big pads or collections.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

I am trying to use up things in my stamproom, like papers and the many stamps (some of which have not seen ink), so I don't need to buy a thing. I still get tempted by a Martha Stewart punch every now and then, and a Spellbinder set, but these are tools and not consumables, so I justifyit because they will be around for a long time. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

No more magazines!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

From the looks of my check book I don't thing I have quite buying anything, at least not in October............Yikes but oh, the great papers, I have a new magazine from Austrailia, I even bought a new stamp set to use in a mini scrapbook. Now I have to quite buying everything!!! And use up some of what I have...... except I will need glue in a few days. Adhesives don't count, do they?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #19  

You all must teach me, LOL! I've never been very good at budgeting...I blame my mom...her penny pinching ways sent me over the edge...the other way. I drive her nuts:-) And DH just bought a lap top so don't I get to even the score???? Hehe! Oh well, some day I'll have kiddos and I'm sure I'll cut back in the old stamping department...living it up while I still can, haha.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much all SU stuff - even stuff I still like. Their prices are just really high especially when I might already have something close or can find something much better priced from somebody else. Even when I see something I like, I figure the price, add in the shipping and tax then see the total and go into sticker shock. There's not much from them I like anymore and what little I do like just isn't worth the regular customer price anymore. I have discovered sooooooo many "new to me" companies out there with amazing designs with terrific quality, customer service and prices that I can do without just about anything SU - and I got my "start" in stamping through SU. Just not worth the price anymore with so many other companies with wonderful service, products and prices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

I am now only buying things I have a specific plan for - instead of everything I love. I also am reusing alot of packaging and buying some used supplies. I also buy pieces of a collection instead of collection packs, as there is always a few papers I don't love and can do without.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Received 856 Likes on 512 Posts
Smile

I've stopped buying stickers, paper, albums, lots of stuff.
The treehugger side of me is so glad I purchased a bunch of paper from someone who was getting out of scrapbooking.
I have gotten some mark-it markers recently, a couple stamp pads and some embossing powder etc... I buy from someone who is downsizing when I can to save money and consume less.
The only thing I plan on purchasing for a while, is just a stamp pad from time to time to give me a few more dye ink pads in basic colors. I've also been thinking about getting some of the ultrafine markit or sharpie markers. I've got plenty of adhesives to last a while and most of the basics, so I am cutting way back. I don't have the extra $ to blow, and frankly, I am tired of spending very much on a hobby. I nickle and dime myself, and then when I want something big for the house etc.., I think of all the money I spent on little things. Plus, my craftroom is bursting at the seams, and I have to keep rearranging to fit everything in there. It's a tiny room, and I have to make room for my scrapbooking, stamping, sewing supplies and books etc... plus, it is also extra storage also for things that don't fit in the rest of the house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am trying to use up some of the beautiful papers I have. I have packs of BG paper that have never been open. I have always bought 2 of the 12x12 Christmas papers. I am not hoarding it anymore! I am making several boxes and I am using the BG papers. I only buy paper if I am coming home and using it. Now I have been buying the small pads of papers for cards. But I am going to use as much as I can b4 buying more. I can't resist embelishments. I buy them if I like them. I have a huge huge stash of embellies but I can always find something to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Does it count if you still buy stuff, but feel bad all the while you're buying it? :mrgreen:

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not going to buy anything for the rest of this year. I am actually trying to go through my collection and being very ruthless. I am getting a large assortment to get rid of in the spring at a LSS. I can then stock up on cardstock for card bases and dimensionals.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2010, 11:23 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I stopped buying $1 stamps from Michael's & Joanns & everything on the clearance racks. You know how that goes..justify a purchase because it was on clearance but you don't have a clear, immediate use for it. ;)
My weakness is pretty papers..I have enough paper to last 2 lifetimes but I always get tempted when new stuff come on the market..I'm trying very very hard to resist the temptation!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 03:04 AM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I started cutting back about three years ago and it's amazing what you can live without. I didn't buy 12x12 paper for a long time as I have so much but I recently bought a few new packs. I don't buy brads and other embellishments (again, have too many),no books, only one magazine. I spend my money on stamps, cardstock, albums, primarily. My next big purchase will be some new storage shelves to redo my stamping area. I would love to splurge and buy a Cinch binding machine or a small Cricut but it's hard for me to save!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 03:36 AM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYstamperView Post
I haven't really made the effort to not buy, I just haven't been buying. I haven't really been in the mood for being in my room. We have been busy with sports and kid stuff, plus other family issues. I didn't even make Halloween cards....
Stamps can wait, family can not. Sounds like you need a hug. (((NYstamper)))

Cheesy, yes. But sincere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 03:46 AM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

For me, it has less to do with the economy and more to do with wanting to purge unused, out of date supplies. Like others have said, my craft room is way overstocked (cardstock, patterened paper, brads, ribbon), so I'm only replacing what I use up (like a recent order for real red and river rock cardstock...those colors are too important to run out of!). I'm still buying stamps, but because I have so many, I'm very, very picky!!!!

Five years ago, I stopped buying on impulse completely (well, almost completely, LOL!). I plan and wait and then buy. This has really helped cut back on buyer's remorse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:37 AM   #30  

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Does it count if you still buy stuff, but feel bad all the while you're buying it? :mrgreen:
Ah, I see we are of the same mind here, lol! Well maybe not...I'm not sure I always feel bad, hahaha!

I did want to clarify too that I'm a total sucker for Christmas (and Halloween and T-giving) so this time of year I always spend more than the rest of the year. So maybe it evens out a bit in the end:-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 05:03 AM   #31  

Lately I've been trying to find cheaper ways to purchase the things I want. Outlet stores are a great way to purchase crafting items at a discounted price. I always use a coupon when I am able, buy on sale, and look for deals on eBay. Sharing stamps and other items with a friend is another great idea as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 05:57 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

well, I set up a budget in July and have stuck to it. So it isn't a matter of a category so much as an amount.

However, I don't buy much patterned paper any more and I went without buying colored cardstock for many many months until I realized I had run out of most colors, including all shades of red and green. So it was an emergency. I spent November's budget on Nov 1!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #33  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Funny!!

One of the ways that my spending has been cut is that local stamp stores have gone out of business:(. I do buy things online, but prefer to buy from an actual store. I am so frustrated with the closest JoAnn's store (60 miles away) that I probably won't be back in there in a l-o-n-g time! That is a rant that you probably don't want me to start.;)

Magazines used to always be on my shopping list and now I haven't bought one in a couple of years, thanks to all the great inspiration I find here. I also look for cheaper versions of expensive stuff such as buying the nonstick sheets used to line the bottom of the oven rather than the non-stick craft sheets, and foam mounting tape rather than pop dots, and an ATG gun and refills rather than snail adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #34  
Gabfest Goddess

I'm fortunate that hubby and I both have stable, decent paying jobs so we haven't had the need to tighten our purse strings when it comes to our hobbies. But, even though I could afford to buy more stamping stuff, I find I'm still not spending that much on it anymore. Except for adhesive and restocking my cardstock supply I haven't spent much on craft stuff at all this year. Mostly because I already have so much stuff that I just can't justify buying any more stuff. And when I do buy something, it has to either be on sale or I have to have a coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
You all must teach me, LOL! I've never been very good at budgeting...I blame my mom...her penny pinching ways sent me over the edge...the other way. I drive her nuts:-) And DH just bought a lap top so don't I get to even the score???? Hehe! Oh well, some day I'll have kiddos and I'm sure I'll cut back in the old stamping department...living it up while I still can, haha.
My hubby and I didn't learn budgeting from our parents either. We are going through some tough times right now with my husband not working a lot. (He's a substitute teacher until a permanent job comes up)
We bought a book about budgeting and it's worked wonders! I can sleep at night and I can still buy stuff!!

Here's the plan: you have to make a list of all of your FIXED expenses (mortgage, car payment, credit card payments, utilities etc...) and subtract the total from your combined income. Whatever is left has to be divided into a certain amount going into savings, a certain amount into emergency fund, then the rest is your monthly budget which gets divided into: Food, Transportation, Clothing and Gifts, Entertainment (which is where my stamping budget is) and Other.. You take the cash out of your bank each week (and only one week at a time) and put it into the separate jars. Once the jars are empty you're done spending. If you want a big item you SAVE! Leave your debit/credit cards at home and use cash..

Trust me, it works!!!!!!!! You just have to have everyone involved buying in...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #36  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
My hubby and I didn't learn budgeting from our parents either. We are going through some tough times right now with my husband not working a lot. (He's a substitute teacher until a permanent job comes up)
We bought a book about budgeting and it's worked wonders! I can sleep at night and I can still buy stuff!!

Here's the plan: you have to make a list of all of your FIXED expenses (mortgage, car payment, credit card payments, utilities etc...) and subtract the total from your combined income. Whatever is left has to be divided into a certain amount going into savings, a certain amount into emergency fund, then the rest is your monthly budget which gets divided into: Food, Transportation, Clothing and Gifts, Entertainment (which is where my stamping budget is) and Other.. You take the cash out of your bank each week (and only one week at a time) and put it into the separate jars. Once the jars are empty you're done spending. If you want a big item you SAVE! Leave your debit/credit cards at home and use cash..

Trust me, it works!!!!!!!! You just have to have everyone involved buying in...
Oh don't get me wrong, I know HOW...I just don't adhere to it very well:-) My mom is a great saver but she doesn't have any hobbies AT ALL or have things that she likes to spend money on...so we don't really understand each other there:-) I'm lucky too, to have a good job and my DH has a really good job too. And I still save, just not as much as say my mom would:-) And I don't really have much debt besides our mortgage and probably a car payment in the works soon...I've about driven the wheels off of mine! That might make me tighten up a bit No credit card debt...if I can't pay for it I don't buy it (and if I do use cards they are paid off in full when the bill comes). Hopefully something great comes up for your hubby, I'll keep you in my prayers!!! I'm looking for a new job and it definitely sucks, job hunting that is!

And now I'm off to the mall....LOL! Really though it's freezing here and I need a scarf and new gloves so I do NEED them (they tend to not keep your hands very warm when your fingers stick through the tips)!!!!!!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
Stamps can wait, family can not. Sounds like you need a hug. (((NYstamper)))

Cheesy, yes. But sincere.
Not cheesy at all and thank you! I didn't realize I didn't finish my sentence about the Halloween cards, and forgot what I was even going to say.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

The only christmas item i bought this year was a 6"x6" paper stack. I bought far too much last year and have made myself use what i've got. How i've resisted all those lovely new stamps i just don't know. That's something else, i've stopped buying wood backed stamps in favour of stamp sets. Still buying essentials like white cardstock and adhesives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #39  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

I stopped a while back from purchasing everything that seemed to be the next latest and greatest thing...like Spellbinders, punches, etc. I recently purchased some new 6x6 Christmas pads, a couple snowmen sets, a couple holiday punches and some replacement ribbon. I have found that I need to stick with the kind of items that fit my style of stamping and that I enjoy using. In the summer I sold close to $1000 worth of stuff on Ebay that in the past I just had to have and then never really used. I sold a complete set of Copics (144) that I never enjoyed using enough to make myself practice and learn and that could never replace my paint brush and reinkers, 96 set of Tombow markers, and many other dusty expensive items I just never really needed. I basically have decided to purchase only paper, ribbons, adhesive and a few punches or dies that fit with my type of stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've stopped buying pretty much everything -- I got married this year (NYC prices for a wedding) and my new husband has been out of work since January, so money is super-tight. I've got enough patterned paper to last 5 years. I buy mostly PTI, but I stopped buying stamps months ago. I did get some cardstock in August. I am working on using up all of my random ribbons that I got at Michael's when I was starting out with stamping -- some of it is a dead-on match for PTI cardstock. My stamp collection is pretty tiny but it's enough for now.

And, my 2 local Mike's are pretty much worthless to me, so that's a help in the budgeting process! I stopped going last year (except for wedding-related craft supplies) and now when I have a coupon, either I just get adhesive, or I throw it out.

One day soon I know he will get a job and then I've already told him that I'm shopping for the first time in my life like I have no budget!
Reply With Quote Likes