Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Find something else in the store to spend my money on 22 44.90%
Buy something that is on sale even if it's for a lesser discount amount 6 12.24%
Whine and complain but still continue to visit the store in the future 16 32.65%
Come here and whine about it 10 20.41%
Write a letter to Head Office to express my discontent 8 16.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michaels Coupons

What would you do? I set off with my 50% off any Regular Priced Item coupon for Michaels today thinking I was going to get a punch of some kind. Upon arriving at the store I was disappointed and more than a little annoyed that just about everything in the stamping/scrapbooking section was on sale from 25% - 40%. So, the coupon I had in hand was not only a waste of my paper that I had to print it on, my ink that I had to use, but my time and fuel to cross the city just to get to the store. I flat out refuse to wander around a store looking for something that I don't need or want to use a coupon on. I'm so tired of their sneaky and dirty approach to doing business. Do they really think that the old bait and switch routine will inspire consumers to spend? It makes me turn around and walk out.

Has anyone else (south of the border) been to Michaels this week and left with the same feeling of disappointment? Do they (Michaels management) really think we're that stupid? I sure feel like they do.

What would you do?

*** I forgot to add the poll option of Just don't shop there anymore *****

Last edited by wenchie; 06-15-2011 at 11:58 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would feel it were sneaky and dirty if they only sold stamping/scrapbooking products... but if you can use the coupon on the other craft/floral/decorating items they have in the store, then it is not a totally useless coupon, just useless to papercrafters/scrapbookers. I may never venture into the other areas of the store, but other people seem to enjoy them, so maybe they can use a coupon when I can't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this has happened to me before too! it is a bit dissapointing isnt it?!

i chose 2 answers: whine and complian but still shop, and come here and whine! LOL

because i know i can come here and get an understanding ear!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sempermomView Post
this has happened to me before too! it is a bit dissapointing isnt it?!

i chose 2 answers: whine and complian but still shop, and come here and whine! LOL

because i know i can come here and get an understanding ear!!!
It's so liberating to be able to whine huh? LOL

Personally, I don't think I'll be returning. But . . . I also have a full head of steam right now because I only just got from the store an hour ago.

It kind of rubs me the wrong way knowing that US prices are nearly half of Cdn store pricing, so when we use a coupon, we're still paying more than the US customers would without a coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went yesterday with coupon in hand too. But I found some Adhesive. that I use. So this is what I used it for.

I really wanted to get some EK punches, But they were on sale too.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just returned home from my local Michael's store and not only did I not find anything worth buying, but most all of the shelves were empty. So my vote is for #3 and #4.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I usually get the blades for my paper cutter if everything else I want is on sale. I know that I will need these eventually and it makes me feel like I'm getting something I can use. Didn't I read in another thread that Joanns will honor these coupons as well?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, my Michael's isn't very far, so the travel part never irks me. I do usually take a look at their online ad to see if what I'm thinking of buying is already on sale before I even go. There's usually something on my "need this" list that I can use the coupon on.

I have to say, Joann's does this frequently - I'll have a 1/2 off coupon, but all papercrafting is on sale for 40%. Frankly, I'd rather have the everything at 40% and not have to bother with the coupon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I check the online ad too to make sure it's worth the trip. If I happen to stop in on my way home from work and just feel like browsing, I don't mind. I'll usually buy some basic supply I always need like ATG tape, glue or Xacto blades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

I had checked the online ad that came up for my local M's - didn't show anything about punches being on sale, so I had my coupon, went in since I was already needing to be near there only to find lots of things on sale that weren't on the ad. I didn't get the punch I wanted because it was 25% off (if I just wait, I'll be able to get it for at least 40% soon). Instead, I got a smaller item that I've tended to put off purchasing. I didn't buy anything extra since I was ticked about the ad not showing everything that was on sale. It didn't even say anything about checking the store for unadvertised specials. I bought a Tim Holtz item that isn't available anywhere near me at all for 50%. I don't plan on going back anytime soon since several other Tim Holtz items I wanted were out and they aren't supposed to be restocked any time soon. I buy very little there anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

i have had the same experience. add insult to injury, there are times when i bring something to the cashier and she tells me she can't use the coupon since it is on sale. i reply that it is not on sale because their was no "sale" tag anywhere near the item and it is the same price it has been in past weeks when i've gone in there to look at the item. the cashier's answer "it is on sale and they must have missed putting a sale tag there". when i mention that the item is not listed in their flyer as being on sale, the response is "not everything on sale is listed in the flyer". my final response to that is, "then i'm not interested". i say goodbye and leave.

i have had this happen time and time again. coincidence? i think not. bait and switch lure? you betcha!

just relaying my experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll leave the store if I can't use my coupon. I came to a conclusion/decision last summer that I'm not going to buy something just for the sake of using the coupon on something that I hadn't intended to buy in the first place. I had a 40% off coupon on a regular price Martha Stewart product that I wanted to use on a punch. When I got to the store, all the MS crafts were marked on sale for 25% off making the coupon worthless. Why issue a coupon if the consumer can't use it? I don't ever buy anything at Michaels anymore unless I can use a 40% off coupon at the least (except for the $1.50 stamps - I try to use either a 20% or 25% off entire purchase coupon for those ). More often now-a-days, I'm waiting until I can use a 50% off coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wenchieView Post
It's so liberating to be able to whine huh? LOL

Personally, I don't think I'll be returning. But . . . I also have a full head of steam right now because I only just got from the store an hour ago.

It kind of rubs me the wrong way knowing that US prices are nearly half of Cdn store pricing, so when we use a coupon, we're still paying more than the US customers would without a coupon.
I always put something in the comments section about this in those online surveys they have for a chance to win a $500 gift certificate. I also mention that I never buy anything there unless I can use a 40% or 50% off coupon and then I'll only buy the one item. Perhaps that why I've never won one of the gift cards...;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #14  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I suppose I would come here & whine, but I seldom seem to have this problem. I do make a point of checking the flyer and if the stuff I would buy is already on sale, I don't go. Of course, now the M's that is further away from me & more difficult to get to has started carrying nesties, so I think I'll have a use for my coupons for a while! The one closest to me does not carry nesties, but I've been wanting to try the sakura glassy glaze pens for a while now, so I used my 50% coupon on that today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I got annoyed today too. I went to Joann's, AC Moore, and Michael's. Not one of them had a refill for the Glue Glider Pro. Three large craft stores within a 10 minute drive and I always seem to be ordering on line.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

If there isnt anything else I want that isnt on sale I pick up some glue dots. I use so many of those that they are always good. Yesterday I went in with my coupon and I bought some liquid pearls with it...very happy with that purchase and will go back tomorrow on my way home to pick up another package. I can usually find something I want to have...hard to believe if you see my room...lol
blessings. Oh..I used a Michaels 50% off and a Joanns 50% off yesterday. Will do that again tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I've often been in that situation at M's. I usually will get a glue stick or cutter blades or something like that that I know I'll need anyway. But, I too, agree; it's irritating to find everything on sale.

Wanda G.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I definitely would have picked "don't shop there anymore". I can't remember the last time I bought something at Michael's for exactly that reason. When I go to Michael's it's "destination" shopping - so finding out the coupon won't work for what I need is a major PITA. This whole difference in prices with SU and Mikes and Canadian prices has me right riled up so I'm speaking with my wallet. Neither one will be getting anymore of my hard earned cash until things change.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I wouldn't wander around trying to find something to buy, if I saw something I'd buy it, or I'd bless some passing stranger with a coupon. I do this all the time in Hobby Lobby and Michael's and it makes someone's day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Totally understand - I went with my 50% coupon and just bought some Zots in the size that I needed and spent $2.14. The girl at the counter recognizes me so I told her this was all I NEEDED and have to use up what I already have. She just said, 'That's smart because I know you have purchased lots of things on other visits." I think the same thing happens when I go to JoAnn.

What's most frustrating is the items you would use the 50% coupon on is 25-30% off so you wait and hope that when you get another 50% coupon it won't be on sale already. None of my Michael's/JoAnn are closer than 15 miles (I know that is close for some of you.) so that means a waste of time and gas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS RAK Coordinator
Swapper of the Month December 2012

Received 3,296 Likes on 2,483 Posts

I used mine on Neenah White Cardstock--they have the heavy 110 pound in reams and got it for under $8--I will look for that in the future too. It was up front, across from the Martha Stewart items and they had a few different weights and colors.

Join Our Challenge Your Stash Group--click Here!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Last year I waited two or three months for our Michaels to have the Martha Stewart Scoring Board in stock. Any time I went there they were out of stock. One day my friend and I were there and I thought I hit the jackpot because I had a 40% off coupon and they'd finally got some in. Then my friend points out the 25% off all Martha Stewart stuff. I was so angry I bit off my nose to spite my face and paid full price for it somewhere else. Next week we go in again when the sale is over and sure enough, they're out of stock again! Coincidence? Don't think so!

I rarely buy anything there anymore, unless my friend and I are working on a project together and we need ribbon or something.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

My closest Michaels is always pulling the old bait and switch routine. I don't shop there any more. I was given a gift card for Michaels and I went to two other Michaels to use it because I refuse to shop at the Michaels closest to me. Other than that I don't shop at Michaels.

I use the Michaels coupons at JoAnn's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

At least they take electronic coupons now. Or at least mine does!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 02:18 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That has happened to me too. But you can avoid it by going to their website BEFORE you print out the ad, to check what they have on sale. I get the paper, so I always look at their ad in real life (vs online) to see if what I want is on sale for less than the 40 or 50% off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 02:39 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

First of all Michaels can set their sales anyway they want......that's marketing. We can't do anything about it. Writing to them won't help either.....waste of time.

Personally, I don't shop there anymore at all. The people in the one nearest to me only work their and don't really know much if anything about crafting. It's even difficult to find a clerk in the store.

I just don't like the store anymore. I'll stick with AC Moore.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 02:42 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbaralynnView Post
I used mine on Neenah White Cardstock--they have the heavy 110 pound in reams and got it for under $8--I will look for that in the future too. It was up front, across from the Martha Stewart items and they had a few different weights and colors.
Wow, I don't think my Michael's carries Neenah papers.......but I'm going to have to check!

What they USED to do is let you use the coupon for the % off the REGULAR price of a product, even if it was on sale (my store used to do this anyway). Not anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 03:29 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

I've never looked for white CS at Michaels before, but I've heard recently that the CDN stores are carrying it. I don't recall what brand it was, but I do recall their price . . . $24.99. A bit rich considering I can get it for significantly less everywhere else.

I did write to Michaels. I didn't expect a response and I didn't get one, but I felt better afterwards lol Really, the only thing I buy there anymore are the MS punches for the simple reason that if I ordered them online somewhere, they're so heavy that the cost of shipping would push my end cost up to the same as Michaels or more.

Last edited by wenchie; 06-17-2011 at 03:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 03:53 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

I've written the corporate office. A manager from the local store called me and left a message. I tried calling her back twice to discuss my complaints (varying stories on coupon policy, empty shelves, constant blocking of aisles with "stock" that no one is putting away quickly, unfriendly employees - no one even says "hi," etc.) ... the phone line was busy both times ... go figure. I boycotted the place for well over 6 months. I am shopping there again - but not spending nearly as much.

Their clearance prices also tick me off - a sale or coupon price would often be cheaper than the dumb clearance price ... I don't fall for that game anymore.

I wish they'd get their act together. I moved here from an area that had just opened a Michaels - and that place was cleaner, better stocked, was sensible about coupons (if it scans, they accept them), and most all the employees were very friendly and helpful. I know some of the problems ARE solely Michaels in general (putting nothing on sale during a "20 percent off all regular and sale-priced items" coupon), but I think local management is the real issue (or maybe that's Michaels corporate doing a crap job providing consistent training and answers to local management).

Argh ... that place ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 04:50 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS RAK Coordinator
Swapper of the Month December 2012

Received 3,296 Likes on 2,483 Posts

Mine did not either, until maybe a month ago. I looked before as someone else said they got it there and I did see it this time. Like I said, you have to look for it and in the store I went to, it was in the front aisle, across from the MS items.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancystampsView Post
Wow, I don't think my Michael's carries Neenah papers.......but I'm going to have to check!

What they USED to do is let you use the coupon for the % off the REGULAR price of a product, even if it was on sale (my store used to do this anyway). Not anymore.

Join Our Challenge Your Stash Group--click Here!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 06:08 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I love polls but this time I did not vote, at least not yet. I am well aware that Micheals will have ALMOST everything I want already on sale, they have been doing that for a long time so if I know it is unlikely that I will find something not on sale that I want then I don't bother going because I know I will look around and end up with something that I had not intended to purchase.
I need plaster of paris (sp?) so that might be something not on sale.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When they have those 50% coupons - I check the ad to see if "that thing" that I want at 50% off is already on sale. If it is - I wait until next time ... depending on the level of want. Same thing with Joanns and Hobby Lobby. Most of the time .. I know I can find something to use the coupon on - or I give it away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

Speaking of Michael's coupons.....just got this delivered to my inbox. The dollar off coupons do not say does not include sale items. How nice, for a change.

http://michaels.p.delivery.net/m/p/m...ion=COM0616444

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

Actually it does say that you can't use it on sale price items (right-hand side) or clearance items (left-hand side). But the print is really small.

Thanks for the coupons. I still have a little bit left on my gift card.

Last edited by KalaKitty; 06-17-2011 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 48 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplewinkleView Post
I wouldn't wander around trying to find something to buy, if I saw something I'd buy it, or I'd bless some passing stranger with a coupon. I do this all the time in Hobby Lobby and Michael's and it makes someone's day.
This is how I usually deal with this situation too. Love the reaction when I randomly give away a coupon that someone else can use. My trips to Micheal's are becoming few and far between - but it is a huge pet peeve of mine when the item I want (usually a punch) is on for 25% off and I've got a 50% off coupon that can't be used.

DH rather likes it now that I can just walk away and not feel the need to find something other than the item I intended to purchase with my coupon. Is that a sign that I am becoming more mature with my craft purchases?
Founding Member of the Punchkateerz - "You don't have to be crazy to be one of us, but it sure helps."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewflakeView Post
I love polls but this time I did not vote, at least not yet. I am well aware that Micheals will have ALMOST everything I want already on sale, they have been doing that for a long time so if I know it is unlikely that I will find something not on sale that I want then I don't bother going because I know I will look around and end up with something that I had not intended to purchase.
I need plaster of paris (sp?) so that might be something not on sale.......
I didn't vote either. Where I live, there is one LSS, Walmart, and Michaels - we don't have AC Moore, Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's in Canada. So, other than online ordering where shipping and cross border taxes can get pricey, I don't have many alternatives to Michaels. And interestingly, even though tons of stuff is on 40% off sales this week, I managed to use 5 50% off coupons (rounded up my entire family as "customers") on American Crafts markers. I also have to make one more trip back to purchase some quilt batting using another 50% off coupon. Now, I probably haven't used a coupon for almost a year there because pretty much everything I have wanted was already on sale, but I don't consider it a waste to have the coupon printed and then walk out without using it. I either give it to another customer on my way out the door, or just recycle it when I get home. If I printed it, the cost of the actual paper and ink is probably in the neighbourhood of 7 cents, and most times I just use the one that comes with my newspaper. One bonus that others may not have however is closeness to the store - I live very close to mine, so don't find driving there a big deal. In fact, in the summer, I will bike there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by meeyore151View Post
I would feel it were sneaky and dirty if they only sold stamping/scrapbooking products... but if you can use the coupon on the other craft/floral/decorating items they have in the store, then it is not a totally useless coupon, just useless to papercrafters/scrapbookers. I may never venture into the other areas of the store, but other people seem to enjoy them, so maybe they can use a coupon when I can't.
I agree. These coupons aren't just for stamping and scrapbooking supplies. I don't go to Michaels just so I can use a coupon, I go there because I need something and if I can use a coupon on it then great, if not then fine, I still need the item. I would think that people would think it is better that they have all the stamping and scrapbooking supplies on sale for 30-40% off since you can purchase more than one item and have that 30-40% apply to each one, rather than only being able to by one item at 50% off.

And FYI, that is not bait and switch. Bait and switch is advertising a specfic item on sale to get you into the store and when you get there they tell you that they don't have the item and get you to purchase a higher priced item. They aren't telling you that you can only use the coupon on a certain item and then saying that they don't have the item. The coupons are in the paper are there for marketing to drive customers into the stores.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

And FYI, that is not bait and switch. Bait and switch is advertising a specfic item on sale to get you into the store and when you get there they tell you that they don't have the item and get you to purchase a higher priced item. They aren't telling you that you can only use the coupon on a certain item and then saying that they don't have the item. The coupons are in the paper are there for marketing to drive customers into the stores.
This is exactly what has happened to me at the Michaels that is closest to me. The Michaels ad comes out in the Sunday paper and starts on that day. I've gotten to the store before the store opened and was the first one in the store. They told me the item I wanted was "sold out"! I asked how they could be sold out and was told they sold out yesterday even though the ad didn't start until the day I was there. That really stinks. If they had said the order didn't come in or something else that made sense then it wouldn't have bothered me quite so much. This has happened more than once at that store. Oh, they did have some that cost three times as much as what I was looking for if I was interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Also, those $ off coupons that came out end up being 28% off at best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

Kala Kitty you have good eyes! So of course they'll have everything on sale - lol. Thanks for letting me know.

Reply With Quote Likes