Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MALL OF AMERICA CROP???

Can someone help me out here? My sister and I read in the Scrapbooks Etc. magazine about the huge crop at the Mall of America. It tells the dates, and an email address for info., but, there isn't any info. there. We really, really want to go to this and want to get signed up, and know what to expect. Also, get rooms reserved. This will be our first trip anywhere together and lets just say, we are both over 50 and we can't wait to hit the road.

Has anyone been to one of these crops??? I have read where there are tons of vendors, and scrapping for 2 days. If you have been to one, let us know how they are set up for that many people if you don't mind sharing the info.

Thanks a bunch!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I tried to look it up on the mallofamerica.com website, which is all Flash and not easy to navigate. There's not much information about it on Archiver's website, either. It's the last event listed on this page: http://www.archiversonline.com/events

Other message boards have said it's worth going to, but I've never been close enough to attend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Here is what was on the Archiver's site. It looks like it is more of a vendor/craft fair then a crop. I'm thinking I will have to go though!

ScrapFest 2009 is coming!

What: The nation's biggest scrapbooking and paper-crafting event!
Where: The nation's biggest mall--the Mall of America in Bloomington, MN!
When: September 17th-20th
Who: Anyone who loves scrapbooking, card-making, or paper-crafting�this is THE place to be!
Why: Buy a badge (only $15!) and get access to over 30 Make & Take projects; mingle with your favorite vendors and see the hottest new products; sign up for inspiring workshops; and have lots and lots of fun!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindygrammy2View Post
Can someone help me out here? My sister and I read in the Scrapbooks Etc. magazine about the huge crop at the Mall of America. It tells the dates, and an email address for info., but, there isn't any info. there. We really, really want to go to this and want to get signed up, and know what to expect. Also, get rooms reserved. This will be our first trip anywhere together and lets just say, we are both over 50 and we can't wait to hit the road.

Has anyone been to one of these crops??? I have read where there are tons of vendors, and scrapping for 2 days. If you have been to one, let us know how they are set up for that many people if you don't mind sharing the info.

Thanks a bunch!!!
I went to this event a couple of years ago, and sad to say, I won't ever do it again. The vendor make and takes are set up in the aisles/walkways of the mall. The lines are terrible. Sometimes you would wait up to 45 minutes to do one make and take. Not my cup of tea. But if you want to shop or see the Mega Mall than that is interesting if you like to walk. If you can get into or signed up to do a crop night at one of the archiver stores, than that part of this was great. Each archiver store had a different vendor showcasing their products during the crop and they had great prizes. However, trying to get a spot at one of the crops is another story. They usually sell out within the first 15 minutes of when they start taking reservations. I don't mean to burst your bubble, just my experiences. Maybe they have organized the event better this time around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastuffView Post
I went to this event a couple of years ago, and sad to say, I won't ever do it again. The vendor make and takes are set up in the aisles/walkways of the mall. The lines are terrible. Sometimes you would wait up to 45 minutes to do one make and take. Not my cup of tea. But if you want to shop or see the Mega Mall than that is interesting if you like to walk. If you can get into or signed up to do a crop night at one of the archiver stores, than that part of this was great. Each archiver store had a different vendor showcasing their products during the crop and they had great prizes. However, trying to get a spot at one of the crops is another story. They usually sell out within the first 15 minutes of when they start taking reservations. I don't mean to burst your bubble, just my experiences. Maybe they have organized the event better this time around.
Another vote for skipping it...it was SO CROWDED it was not even close to being fun! I was at the MOA on accident during this event last summer, and was ready to hang myself for even walking past the store.

Archivers is usually fun...the MOA is usually fun...but the combination of fanatic scrappers and overcrowding is miserable! Just a normal Saturday at the MOA Archivers is bad enough!

I stay away from the MOA at all costs on weekends...and now I check to make sure there are no events when I do decide to go...LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Ugh!!! This doesn't sound like what I thought it was at all. I'm going to have to re-thnk this. We would be driving from Kansas so that is a long way to just wait in line and look at vendors. Is there stuff to buy??? Is it like a CHA convention? So there is no scrapbooking crop at all?? I wondered how they would set all that up in a mall. Is there a hotel hooked to this mall??? Sorry about all the questions, I just want to make sure this is something worth going to since we have a long drive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

When I was there, it was just a lot of demos on products that Archivers sells, like the BIA, Quickutz products, and those types of things....with very simple make & takes...there is a crop in the Archivers workroom, but as the other poster mentioned, those fill up fast with any kind of Archivers Event. The one at MOA maybe seats 50 people if you packed it...although they quite possibly could be using banquet rooms as well, though I don't know as I didn't partake in the crop at all. If you have never been to the Mall of America or Archivers before, I really think you would have a more enjoyable time just contacting that Archivers for their list of classes/crop nights and head there on another date to avoid crowds and have more room to browse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

No, there isn't stuff to buy from the actual vendors. The vendors are just there to do the make and takes. I personally liked going BUT yes you do have to be patient and wait in line so I'd suggest only going to the vendors that you really like (don't stand in line for every single one). Another suggestion is to ask around (this is if you go) as to what the make and takes are at each station, again another way to pick and choose which one is worth while to wait for.

And yes, there is crops at night at the Mall of America and at each of the different Archiver's stores throughout the Twin Cities area. Each one will have a different vendor hosting that particular night and they will have different give aways, drawings, prizes, etc.

Archiver's also offer different classes throughout the 3 days. These classes and crops are something that you need to preregister for and alot of the spots go very quickly so you need to be prepared to sign up!

There are alot of hotels around the MOA. Alot of them have shuttles going to and from the Mall for your convience. The Mall of America is located by the airport too (just for reference). So everything is within driving distance or shuttle distance. Archiver's is located on the third floor of the MOA. That's the only place where you'll actually be able to shop for scrapping supplies. Obviously, the mall is open the entire time too!

Hope all of this helps! I'm planning on going this year with a couple of SCS (out of town) friends!

To the world you may just be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 02:27 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindygrammy2View Post
Ugh!!! This doesn't sound like what I thought it was at all. I'm going to have to re-thnk this. We would be driving from Kansas so that is a long way to just wait in line and look at vendors. Is there stuff to buy??? Is it like a CHA convention? So there is no scrapbooking crop at all?? I wondered how they would set all that up in a mall. Is there a hotel hooked to this mall??? Sorry about all the questions, I just want to make sure this is something worth going to since we have a long drive.
================

I live in Minneapolis and have been to this a few times.

No, they DO have an "all night crop" (on the Friday night to Sat. am, I believe).

They will also have classes you can take. You'll sign up ahead of time online. Prices are usually roughly $25 for an hour class (and you'll typically get a ton of product at the class, too).

Correct info. on the vendors and make and takes. Each vendor sets up their own make and take, and you likely won't make many of them. Too many people and too long of lines to make that worthwhile.

ALL of the vendors are companies who sell things at Archiver's, so of course you can buy things at Archiver's in the MOA (which is what they'd LOVE you to do!!)

I have mixed feelings on the whole event. A bit too chaotic for me. Too many people. You'll pay (I think last year was $13 or $15 for a 'badge'). Wearing the badge will get you a few supplies and product, and will allow you to do the make and takes (which you likely won't be able to get too). So------you pay just to show up, as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks a lot, this does help a lot. I'm not sure what we will do now. It's not what I thought it was going to be, and it sounds so crowded.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenniferCRView Post

Hope all of this helps! I'm planning on going this year with a couple of SCS (out of town) friends!
What about ME????

I have missed you... :( LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I personally was able to do over 3/4 of the make and takes 2 years ago when I went. I was there for a day and a half. I know alot of people go for the classes and crops because you get ALOT of product for the money. I personally have never been to one so I can't say but I have had alot of friends who have been very pleased after attending them. This year I'd like to attend more classes and/or a crop and do far less make and takes. There are alot of people especially on Saturday. My experience was that Fridays and Sundays are far less crowded. People are just arriving on Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday morning (again my experience).

I too live in a suburb of Minneapolis so I was able to come and go as I pleased. If you don't like crowds but like classes and crops you might try to schedule things on Saturday. Again, just a suggestion as they aren't my thing and I really don't want to be stuck in lines again this year.

To the world you may just be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
What about ME????

I have missed you... :( LOL
Cher you can come! I'm almost positive Tammy (tmaxvill) is coming from Missouri and possibly another person from Canada! I already offered up my house here in Blaine as long as everyone is ok with my 4 furbabies!;)

I've missed you too!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Cher you can come! I'm almost positive Tammy (tmaxvill) is coming from Missouri and possibly another person from Canada! I already offered up my house here in Blaine as long as everyone is ok with my 4 furbabies!;)

I've missed you too!
Fun fun fun....let me know...I would love to meet up with you guys there!

I am actually going tomorrow...I've got a whole list of storage stuff for my new scrap room that I have to pick up at Ikea...and I can't be across the street from MOA and not go inside...LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
Fun fun fun....let me know...I would love to meet up with you guys there!

I am actually going tomorrow...I've got a whole list of storage stuff for my new scrap room that I have to pick up at Ikea...and I can't be across the street from MOA and not go inside...LOL
I will definetly let you know the details.

Yeah, you definetly can't drive past the big ol' place and not stop! Hehe! :mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

I personally was able to do over 3/4 of the make and takes 2 years ago when I went. I was there for a day and a half. I know alot of people go for the classes and crops because you get ALOT of product for the money. I personally have never been to one so I can't say but I have had alot of friends who have been very pleased after attending them. This year I'd like to attend more classes and/or a crop and do far less make and takes. There are alot of people especially on Saturday. My experience was that Fridays and Sundays are far less crowded. People are just arriving on Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday morning (again my experience).

I too live in a suburb of Minneapolis so I was able to come and go as I pleased. If you don't like crowds but like classes and crops you might try to schedule things on Saturday. Again, just a suggestion as they aren't my thing and I really don't want to be stuck in lines again this year.
===============================

I somewhat agree with you on this. The classes were worth it. I didn't do the "all night crop night" but they were booked and full so some must have enjoyed (an extra charge----maybe $50 for the entire overnight???)

One MIGHT be able to get a few make and takes done on Sunday. I wouldn't count on it for Friday or Sat. (based on the crowds).

If you love crowds and lots of people and lines, then the make and takes are for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 06:44 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post
... There's not much information about it on Archiver's website, either. It's the last event listed on this page: http://www.archiversonline.com/events
Bumping this thread... There's a website online for more info now: http://www.scrapfest09.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm going! My friend and I already bought our plane tickets, hotel and rental car. If nothing else, it will be a fabulous girls weekend with adult beverages and fantastic meals that we didn't cook ourselves! There are enough stores around the city we can escape the mall if we want to for a little while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Are there any SCS swaps happening for this event?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I will be there this year! I'm excited.... It's my first time. I'm also scared all at the same time.

I would love to meet any of you that are attending!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyOfStampingView Post
I will be there this year! I'm excited.... It's my first time. I'm also scared all at the same time.

I would love to meet any of you that are attending!

I'll be there Friday for sure Joy!! :mrgreen:

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #22  

YAY! Lori, make sure you come see us, k? I believe we will have a demo table in front of Archiver's!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

YAY! Lori, make sure you come see us, k? I believe we will have a demo table in front of Archiver's!
Oh my word!! Y'all have plenty of fun, okay?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

I sure will!!! :mrgreen: I'm excited!!!!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #25  

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMcAreeView Post
I sure will!!! :mrgreen: I'm excited!!!!
Me, too!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

If its allowed - I am NOT an owner but only a buyer at another scrapbook store in Bloomington - If you are going and have a car, I highly reccomend you visit! Its called Scrapbooks Too and its in Bloomington, at 10518 France Ave, 55431. I LOVE this store, and always find something I need, even when I stop in to browse. If you need something special, ask the staff - they know what they have in stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Hmm, I've never been to that store before, might have to check it out tomorrow! I've gone to Scrap Fest the last 4 years, it's crowded, but fun. I've only gone on Fridays though so it's not as crazy.
Reply With Quote Likes