Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lookin' For Answers and Some Inspiration...

Hello all.
Perhaps I am wallowing in self-pity because I started a new job that utilizes only my brain and none of my creativity (think number-cruncher). At any rate, I know that anyone who is reading this post is of the creative mindset, because you are here, on this forum.
I'm curious to know how you (for those of you who work part or full time) find the energy and creative flow to turn your ideas into tangible work--after a hard day on the job??? I've read a few posts that sing the praises of a well-organized craft space, not to mention those of you who find time to catalog all of your stamps--but ladies (and men),seriously, am I the only one here choosing between starting up the vacuum or turning on the heat/embossing gun? (and I should mention, I am not a neat freak). There are days that I have a meal planned (complete with meat defrosting in the fridge) and I cop-out and get takeout just so I can finish a project--shame on me!!!
I realize this post is probably a good candidate for a free online therapy session but I thought I should ask the experts. Judging from the lighting-fast entries for the daily challenges--some of you are VERY good at budgeting your time!
I envy those of you who actually make enough cards to sell at craft fairs.
I can't be the only one who spends as much time (if not more) buying craft supplies than I spend actually CRAFTING (because I NEEEEEEEEED them),
can I?
Oh the woes of a frustrated stamper.

Okay, enough babbling--here are the other fifty questions I have:

I'm wondering about this medium called Gamsol (sp?) which I'm supposed to use with watercolor pencils or markers. Can I purchase it at Michaels or AC Moore? Is it tricky to use?

Is there a secret to purchasing Copic markers at a reasonable price?

Is watercolor paper really necessary?

Are "Inchies" really only one inch, or can they be just very small cards?

Do I really need a paper stub for blending watercolors?

If a stamp company is out of business, can the stamp be used on merchandise that is for sale? What if a stamp has no visible name, company or trademark?

and lastly, how DO you fold a fitted sheet?

TIA
mishquilt
in rare form and not sure if she loves her new job

A Simple Life Is Its Own Greatest Reward.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello twin! It seems we live similar lives. My crafts just sit there and wonder when oh when they'll get attention...

As for your questions, Gamsol is a name brand. You can get it from Inkyantics.com. It's just odorless mineral spirits. I think you can get that at Michael's and other craft stores and I know you can get huge quantities from home improvement stores like Home Depot. Yes, the blending stumps are necessary for this process, but you don't (at least I don't) use those with watercolor pencils. I use either a blender pen (from Stampin' Up) or a water brush with the watercolor pencils. You use Gamsol with colored pencils that are NOT watercolor, such as Prismacolor pencils. I got mine on e-bay as they were the cheapest there. There are all kinds of threads on here about Prismacolor pencils, but the process is simple - stamp your image (I prefer to use my Palette Hybrid Black Noir ink), color in what you want with the pencils, dip/wet the stump with Gamsol, rub the stump in a circular motion over the color you put onto the image and blend to your heart's content!

For watercoloring, you often get better results with watercolor paper. Many ladies do what I did (thanks SCS) and buy 140 pound cold press water color paper with a coupon at Michael's. Same stuff as Stampin' Up's and much, much cheaper.

That's all I know...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #3  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Let's see if I can help with some of your other questions. I hardly ever find time to craft, however, my daughter is grown (shes 24) so it's just me an my husband at home; no pets. So, between the two of us, we're not really messy. I try to craft in assembly line -- so maybe I can get some images stamped one night, then colored the next, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mishquiltView Post
Are "Inchies" really only one inch, or can they be just very small cards?
Yes, they really are 1" squares. If this medium is too small, try Artist Trading Cards. They're 3.5" by 2.5". There's a great tutorial in the resources section.
Quote:

I don't fold 'em. I try to wash the sheets and put them right back on the bed. If I don't have time for the laundry, and use new sheets instead, the fitted sheet comes out of the dryer, I try to fold in quadrants, then I just roll it up to fit in my closet. Isn't that what they say to do to clothing you're packing? Roll it up and it wrinkles less!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:52 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I have the answer to folding the sheet
http://www.associatedcontent.com/vid...tter_than.html

No other answers though, because I too busy trying not to do anything else but sit here on SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by waglegView Post
I have the answer to folding the sheet
http://www.associatedcontent.com/vid...tter_than.html

No other answers though, because I too busy trying not to do anything else but sit here on SCS.

this is pretty much how i do it as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 05:11 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 293 Likes on 141 Posts

You can find really reasonable prices on Copic Markers at WWW.mftstamps.com. That is where I purchased mine. Kim is wonderful.

Watercolor paper is a must for getting great shading when coloring with crayons, reinkers, etc. You just can't get good depth on WW cardstock. SU watercolor paper is my favorite but you can get 140lb cold press at Michael's or your local store and it is really pretty good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 05:25 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Thanks for all of the feedback, it's nice to know...

That I'm not the only one who struggles with actually getting to the craft table.
I was just playing around with some Michaels watercolor pencils --using my House Mouse stamps, and I must admit, I'm totally frustrated. I hope I find it easier with the Prisma's once they arrive. I used a blender pen that I had purchased at a stamp gathering--it's like a blank-marker tipped pen that you dip in water. I love the look of the House Mouse characters as depicted on the stamp picture but, I just can't seem to duplicate the "fluffy" look they have achieved. I tried stamping the image in a lighter color (SU creamy caramel and almost cocoa), but it didn't seem to help.
I suppose I need to keep trying.

I love that video/tutorial of the woman folding a fitted sheet--it seems to take longer than it takes me to fold a whole load of wash, so I might just resort back to the --roll-it-up-and-throw-it-in-the-linen-closet-under-the-nicely-folded-sheets!

I didn't find the info I was looking for concerning the Angel Policy and what to do with unmarked stamps or stamps that were made by companies out of business--does anyone know if this is a green light to put them on mdse. for sale? I have some original designs from companies that later sold their designs to bigger stamp companies--I'm assuming these ar a big NO NO --because it's likely that they would be protected by the current copyright/trademark..etc.
Any lawyers out there?

Thanks for all your help.
If you have the Copics and you can offer any advice for coloring --I'd love suggestions. I watched Kathy Sanders tutorial and it was very helpful. The colors were bolder than I usually reach for so, I was wondering if I could achieve a similar effect to watercolor by using the lighter colored Copics?

mishquilt

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 07:01 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Oh gosh, I know what you mean. I work full-time, and even though it's only my DH and me at home now, there's never time for stamping or for my other passion, quilting. It seems like the only time I stamp is when I HAVE to make a card for a specific reason, and even then sometimes I raid my stash of samples. Hope you got all your other questions answered - I use the same method to fold my fitted sheets. It really doesn't take that long as long as you're not a total perfectionist - I used to be one of those but life got in the way!
All things work together for good to those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 07:06 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I do the best I can with my fitted.

I put my flat foled in quarters, but my "best I could do" fitted in the middle and then put the pillow cases on top of the fitted. Then I fold the flat outside the whole "package" so I have it all when I want it and no one sees me mess...except my sister who can fold a fitted sheet to look like a flat in no time flat. If she is over she will re do mine for me

come and play the INK IT UP CHALLENGE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 07:09 AM   #10  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

When I started my new job, my stamping time definitely took a downturn. After a few months it started to pick up again - as I adjusted to the new schedule.

As for Gamsol and Prisma pencils - I got both at Michaels, and used a coupon. I found that I am not good at this technique, so I rarely (if ever!) use it. I have the paper stumps which I also got at Mikes, but again - doesn't work for me.

I don't use Watercolor paper....well I have, but I don't like the brand that I have - got it at a LSS. I would like to get some of the SU confetti white paper - I hear it's as good as WC paper.

I don't have Copic - just too expensive for me to justify as I have all of the SU markers.

Never made an "inchie", don't really see the use for me.

And I'd love to know about copyright on defunct stamp companies. I have quite a few very old stamps that I'd love to use form my craft sale, but I am afraid :(

As for fitted sheets - I just wad mine up and cram them in the linen closet

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 07:19 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Talking

Quote:

TIA
mishquilt
in rare form and not sure if she loves her new job
I have learned THE RITA FOLD. Named for my mother-in-law. It works best with 2 people, but you can do it on the floor if there is only you.

Here's for 2 people. Using the sheet lengthwise, each person takes two pockets of the sheets and puts their hands in them (like hand warmers). Then take the pocket on the left and fit it over the pocket that is on your right hand. Now you should have a half sheet, lengthwise, and you both have two pockets folded over one hand.

Now fold the end with the pocket onto the flat portion of the sheet - this should give each person 2 nice, square corners of sheet to now work with. Now the sheet can be folded like any other square sheet.

Clear as mud? It was mind expanding for me when my husband showed me 20 years ago. :mrgreen:

My Gallery

"...God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:25-26
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 07:21 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Default I don't know if I am being clear...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valerie WoodworhtView Post

Here's for 2 people. Using the sheet lengthwise, each person takes two pockets of the sheets and puts their hands in them (like hand warmers). Then take the pocket on the left and fit it over the pocket that is on your right hand. Now you should have a half sheet, lengthwise, and you both have two pockets folded over one hand.

:mrgreen:
The pockets are inside out when your hands are in them, then if you put your hands together and just flip the left pocket over your right hand so the left pocket fits over the right pocket. Ok, I'll be done.

My Gallery

"...God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:25-26
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 07:29 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Well, I am proud to announce that I have properly...

Folded a fitted sheet (although I don't think I'm as quick as the rest of you --who have seemed to turn this into an art form). I love the idea of folding everything into the flat sheet--this would resolve my issues of lost pillowcases and unmatched sheets at 11pm--when I realize that the beds have been stripped and I've forgotten to put in the sheets wash!!

Thanks for the detailed info on the watercolor supplies. I think I might visit Michaels today to purchase some watercolor paper.
I'm not familiar with SU paper and I'm assuming WW means winter white?
Some of you have recommended Confetti White--is this sold as cardstock or is it labeled watercolor paper?
Is it possible to purchase SU products online or do I have to contact my local SU rep (who hasn't heard from me in years) to order supplies?

Okay, off to do more laundry (and hopefully teach my college-bound kid how to fold a fitted sheet ---who am I kidding???????? AS IF the sheets will even be washed before the first visit home--with laundry!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mishquilt

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

Also I can't stress how important the paper is to getting the prismacolors/odorless mineral spirits to work correctly. The best paper that works for me is white cardstock from Georgia Pacific from Walmart or Sams. Took me many unsuccessful attempts before I figured out that my poor results were due to the paper. I was told by a demo at a stamp convention that you need paper with "tooth." Has to do with the surface of the paper & how the colors moves around on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 08:01 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Ahh, mish. . .

I am currently working both a full-time and a part-time job and frankly, I didn't get much more done before I added the part-time job.

First, you need to remember: don't "should" all over yourself. There is no dishonor in picking up takeout so you have time to finish a project. (Doing it 3 nights in a row and now the meat is spoiled is a different story, however.) And I also do not fold my fitted sheets - I pull 'em off the bed, wash them and put them right back on. More honestly, usually my husband or son do. Someday my future daughter-in-law should love me to pieces, training her husband so well.

It will take some time to adjust to your new schedule. It will take even more time for you to adjust to a house that's not as spotless (HAH! Like mine ever was!) and to stop feeling guilty about saying "no" sometimes. And sometimes - once in a while - you need to TAKE some time for yourself. My husband has even been known to make overnight plans for my son & himself so that I can stay home alone and play. Not so often now that son is 20 yrs old, but when he was younger it was a godsend.

I keep telling myself that when I get my permanent crafty area set up, it will be better because I won't be constantly dragging things out and then having to pack them all back away; it will be better when I quit the part-time job (planning on staying up 'til a few days before Christmas - because I can't take one more year of being yelled at for completely ruining Christmas for people who wait to order their gifts until a week before and then get ticked off because a huge ice storm hits Memphis and FedEx cannot honor their delivery times); but when it will get better is when I decide that it's more important than anything else I have to do - and that's not true right now

Wow. Serious run-on sentence there. All you english teachers out there, I beg your forgiveness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 08:43 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

[QUOTE=mishquilt;6849751]That I'm not the only one who struggles with actually getting to the craft table.
I was just playing around with some Michaels watercolor pencils --using my House Mouse stamps, and I must admit, I'm totally frustrated. I hope I find it easier with the Prisma's once they arrive. I used a blender pen that I had purchased at a stamp gathering--it's like a blank-marker tipped pen that you dip in water. I love the look of the House Mouse characters as depicted on the stamp picture but, I just can't seem to duplicate the "fluffy" look they have achieved. I tried stamping the image in a lighter color (SU creamy caramel and almost cocoa), but it didn't seem to help.
I suppose I need to keep trying.

---------------------------------------------------------

Are there different types of blender pens? I have SU and Dove and they are filled with a solution and you don't dip them in water. Could that be your problem with the blender pen?
My Blog:A Flowery Hobby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 10:53 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I fold mine like a flat sheet, then I place it, the flat sheet, and one pillow case inside the other pillow case. Everything stores nicely in the closet, and when I need them I just pull out the "pillow sack" and go, no more looking for all of the pieces.(This way it doesn't matter if I fold them or if DH does it, they all look the same.LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 12:25 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Folded a fitted sheet (although I don't think I'm as quick as the rest of you --who have seemed to turn this into an art form). I love the idea of folding everything into the flat sheet--this would resolve my issues of lost pillowcases and unmatched sheets at 11pm--when I realize that the beds have been stripped and I've forgotten to put in the sheets wash!!

Thanks for the detailed info on the watercolor supplies. I think I might visit Michaels today to purchase some watercolor paper.
I'm not familiar with SU paper and I'm assuming WW means winter white?
Some of you have recommended Confetti White--is this sold as cardstock or is it labeled watercolor paper?
Is it possible to purchase SU products online or do I have to contact my local SU rep (who hasn't heard from me in years) to order supplies?

Okay, off to do more laundry (and hopefully teach my college-bound kid how to fold a fitted sheet ---who am I kidding???????? AS IF the sheets will even be washed before the first visit home--with laundry!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mishquilt
Congratulations on folding the fitted sheet. Sometimes I do an okay job, other times it looks like a mishapen lump that sits in the linen closet. My feeling is that it gets put on the bed and is pulled taut, so if it has a few wrinkles, so be it.
Regarding WW - this is SU "whisper white" cardstock. There is some debate on SCS at the moment regarding whether the current WW is as good as it has been in the past. Not having used it (I know, gasp!) I can't say one way or the other. Confetti white is sold as cardstock (it's not included in any of the color packs, but rather sold individually) and not watercolor paper.
SU products can only be purchased through a SU Demo - there are tons on the board, so you can just give a shout-out for someone in your local area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 05:20 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Default Folding sheets

I too like to wash my linens and put them back on right away. When I don't have time, I fold everthing and then slip it all into the pillowcase and it forms a pillow and keeps everything together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 05:38 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I used to work out of the house full time and now work in the house full time with the kids and I do struggle with finding the time to do what I love. I do know that I will always have my Friday nights to stamp. This is my designated me time, so if I don't get any other time during the week I will at least have this night. The best part is that because I have set aside this time, both my dh and my kids know that they will not bother mommy and they will let her do her thing.
As for sheets, well, I try to fold them, but they still end up being smooshed into our small linen closet, no harm done. And I have been actually trying to bid on a couple of Prisma color sets on E-bay. I am hoping to get one in the next day or two, then I just need stumps. I have the mineral spirits and can't wait to try this technique!

www.NicoleEBecker.myctmh.com
Reply With Quote Likes