Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 05:40 AM   #81
Insane Embellisher

Great motivational thread! I really do need to start my Christmas cards before November. I've said if I can make just 1 card per week that would be a huge benefit, even if I don't start until January. I only send about 40 handmade cards per year, the rest get manufactured cards.

I also would like to try the perpetual birthday calendars, especially for my Mom because she has so many people to keep track of! And I saw come adorable embossed velvet sachets using lavender and other types of herbs. I'd like to try those.

Also, stamping gift bags and bags for candy & cookies ahead of time so I have some cute containers for the treats I give to friends, family and neighbors.

This year I made ornaments for the kids on my Mom's side of the family. Since I didn't get the idea until November and I was busy making all kinds of other things I was up until 3:30 a.m. on Friday night finishing them so I could take them on Saturday. I still haven't posted photos and I never even got around to taking a photo of the boy's ornaments but I think they turned out pretty darn cute! I would like to make another ornament next year but I have to find an idea that inspires me and start earlier!

This year I made lots of homemade candy and gave away. I decorated some of the little 1/2 pound candy boxes with dp and stamps from Paper Trey. Here's what I made:

Mounds Bars ( Debbie Olson's recipe - you should try it! )
Mint chocolate Mounds Bars
Peanut Butter Fudge
White Chocolate Party Mix
Mint Chocolate covered pretzels
Chocolate covered Peanuts
Peanut Butter Bars (like Clark bars)
Chocolate toffee crunch
Rocky Road cups

I am still in the mood to make Christmas cards since I didn't even get to use half of my adorable stamps this year. I am going to start on some as soon as Christmas is over while I'm still thinking about it!

Happy Holidays everyone!

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-23-2008, 06:30 AM   #82
Embossing Fanatic

subbing
Old 12-23-2008, 08:11 AM   #83
Forum Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to glitterdovefairy Send a message via Yahoo to glitterdovefairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvansluys View Post
Wow! YOu did do a lot of baking and crafting! But, I would like to know what the "boxes of love" are?
Boxes of love are the #1 tear bringer present... My DD gave one to her favorite waitress that she has called her aunt for 7 years now and she wound up having to take a break to pull herself together. It was a very touching moment.

Take a small box like the one at walmart by the paints and wrap it (empty) in beautiful year around paper. Tie a matching ribbon around it and add a strip of sticky magnet to the back. Then attach this poem...

This is a very special gift
that you can never see,
The reason itís so special is
itís just from me.
Whenever you are lonely
or even feeling blue,
Youíll only have to hold this gift
and know I think of you!
You can never unwrap it,
Please leave the ribbon tied,
just hold the box to your heart
Itís filled with love inside.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:17 AM   #84
Forum Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to glitterdovefairy Send a message via Yahoo to glitterdovefairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsmith View Post
me too...also puggie woogies
These are wonderful fried dumpling yet dounghut like... Best to make and just eat hot. I don't know how well they store because my family never lets them cool off. When getting the oil ready if you don't have degrees on your stove you should only heat it on medium. If it is hotter the batter will turn into small noodle like pieces instead. When the batter is dropped in the oil it will sink to the bottom then slowly come up.

6 cups vegetable oil for frying
1 egg
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar
2/3 cup milk

Heat oil to 365 degrees in a deep fryer or heavy saucepan.
In a medium bowl, beat the egg, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon oil until light. combine the flour, baking powder and salt, stir in alternately with the milk until well blended.
Drop by teaspoonfuls into the hot oil and fry on both sides until golden. Drain on paper towels and roll in 1/2 cup white sugar while still warm.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:30 AM   #85
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterdovefairy View Post
Boxes of love are the #1 tear bringer present... My DD gave one to her favorite waitress that she has called her aunt for 7 years now and she wound up having to take a break to pull herself together. It was a very touching moment.

Take a small box like the one at walmart by the paints and wrap it (empty) in beautiful year around paper. Tie a matching ribbon around it and add a strip of sticky magnet to the back. Then attach this poem...

This is a very special gift
that you can never see,
The reason it’s so special is
it’s just from me.
Whenever you are lonely
or even feeling blue,
You’ll only have to hold this gift
and know I think of you!
You can never unwrap it,
Please leave the ribbon tied,
just hold the box to your heart
It’s filled with love inside.
Actually this has been around for a long time, I gave one to my cousin years ago (maybe 20) and it was a small box, any size works, and it is just a nice, sweet way to show someone how much they mean to you!! Thanks for reminding me about them again!!
Old 12-23-2008, 09:25 AM   #86
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to stampnkat

I am going to do this for next year. I just spent yesterday working a 12 hour shift then coming home and making 4 teacher gifts and was up most of the night. UGH!!!! I made altered frappacino bottles and altered container for them. I of course had to fill them with hot chocolate and marshmallows and kisses. They were cute and of course I was to tired I didn't take any pictures of these. I do have one set in my gallery if you want to see them. I am tired today. Good thing I am off now for a few days. Kathy
Old 12-23-2008, 10:33 AM   #87
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Thankfully, I have not been rushed this Christmas season. I started in early October and that worked for what I wanted to accomplish. I just have some finishing touches to put on one gift and Christmas eve dinner to cook.

This year I made a bunch of items for Craft Fair and they are in my gallery.

Every year I make cards for Christmas for others to use but mail out store bought because I just can not resist the Disney Christmas cards. This year I gave my Moms boss 40 cards to use for clients. I only give out 23 cards so I could easily use what I make. I also make as many gifts as I can but many in my family are not homeade gift appriciators .

This year I made:
a 12x12 calendar
5 bookmarks
coaster brag book
3 6x6 cookbooks (with much help from swaps)
3 boxes of love
6 holiday fudge
1 nugget box
2 trays of cookies
made 3 gift bags

I also picked up many stocking stuffers off the recycle pif here on SCS.

I baked like you wouldn't believe since we have been snowed in for far too many days.
I made:
peanut butter fudge
S'more
shortbread
oatmeal cookies
peanut butter balls
snickerdoodles
chocolate no bakes
puggie woogies
marshmallows rolled in carmel rolled in rice crispys
espresso logs
rocky road brownies
thumb print cookies

BUT keep in mind I am disable so I am home far too much and my DD is 13 so after we homeschool my time is my own.

Next year I would like to get much more done.
i have to ask what are
....puggie woogies?
and could you share the recipe ?
please & thank you
Old 12-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #88
Stazon Splitcoast

never mind.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #89
Stazon Splitcoast

anyone have the mounds bar recipe? (mentioned in post # 81)
or even the link for this?
Old 12-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #90
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadeelodge View Post
Hmm...I need to do this too...

...heading off to map out a workable schedule on the calendar to take me through next year...

I think I will just make a separate Microsoft Office calendar dedicated to this!

Thanks for the idea, ladies....
My biggest hint when doing a calendar is to work backwards - you can look up last posting dates for this year and they won't be too different next etc.

I have to do this too because I somehow ran out of time to get things done when I shouldn't have.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #91
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to LaurieR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanstamping2 View Post
My BF and I were just talking about doing something starting in Jan 2009.

This way by the time Christmas 2009 rolls around, We will be ready.

I'm going to make a Notebook folder to hold names of each family and friends names in.

Each month we are going to spend so much money per person. and then mark it down as we have a Gift for them.

So I will be making two of these Notebook folder for the both of us.

In the long run with will save us both money and time.

And I am going to start on Next years Christmas cards as well. Then I'll be done and ready to mail them out on time.
I really like this idea! Thanks!
Operation Write Home
Old 12-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #92
Crimping Master

So glad I found this great thread! I actually went out today looking at x-mas fabric for projects for next year! I will be buying lots of fabric for some gifts after the holiday to get them on sale!

I will be making a list tomorrow with everyone that we give gifts to and what I will be making for them. Trying to do an all homemade x-mas again like we did this year!

I promise to come back after I have my list made and list everything that I want to have made!
Old 12-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #93
Gabfest Goddess

Well, I had to make a last-minute gift for my sil, and it got me thinking that I'd like to use up all my 2007 In Color scraps and dp's by Feb. 1st - I think I can get some teacher/volunteer gifts out of the way soon! Here's the 'ensemble' I made today:
Ginger blossoms and birds
Old 12-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #94
Gabfest Goddess

Oh, and thank you JenniferO, for mentioning fabric. I'd like to get a couple of felted recycled sweater blankets done - before it gets warm again - I hate working on that stuff when it's hot outside! I like the idea of a proper schedule - a la FLYlady! I'm going to have to work on that next week.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #95
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cvansluys

Ok....I have just finished all the finishing touches to the gifts, everything is wrapped and almost all the baking is finished. Boy I am pooped!

Here is everything I made...will soon have everything in my gallery for you to see.

Happy Word Book with quotes
Believe Word Book decorated Christmas with room for photos
3- Family Word Books with photos, pull-outs and journaling
Fishing Board Book with room for photos (Waterproof Camera included)
3 - acrylic photo pages for eisels (sp?)
2- handmade scrap Friend books with quotes
10 - Jars French Vanilla Cocoa Mix (Teacher gifts)
3 - divided Calenders using 8 1/2x11 page protectors
2 - Polar Fleece Pillows - fairy theme
Polar Fleece Throw - fairy theme
Valance - fairy theme
2 - Hawaiian Men's shirts
Hawaiian Flower Pillow
Custom painted some shelves for my son's room
Spiced Nuts
Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
Peanut Blossom Cookies
Oatmeal Cookies with chocolate drizzles
Refrigerator Fudge
Truffles
45+ Christmas Cards

I started all this about September and really have been working almost non-stop for the last month to get it all done. It was crazy but, fun. I have a great husband and I do not work. Early bird so I get a lot done before DH wakes.

How is everyone else doing? Finished I hope.....or at least ready to say....you know what? that is all I am doing.

Hope you all have a great holiday!!
Old 12-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #96
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferO View Post
So glad I found this great thread! I actually went out today looking at x-mas fabric for projects for next year! I will be buying lots of fabric for some gifts after the holiday to get them on sale!

I will be making a list tomorrow with everyone that we give gifts to and what I will be making for them. Trying to do an all homemade x-mas again like we did this year!

I promise to come back after I have my list made and list everything that I want to have made!
jennifer our local joann's is going out of business. some great sales on fabric. selection is getting slim.
are any in your area closing?
Old 12-24-2008, 06:13 AM   #97
Stampin' Fool

For 2009 I am going to get organized. I am going to totally unload my scraproom this Saturday. All of dh's stuff in the closet will be relocated. Going to be ruthless, get rid of junk. Buy new organizers, baskets, hit after holiday sales. Clean the carpet, by Sunday night should be back in business.

Of course this will only happen if there is plenty of football on tv, and no grandchildren delegated on me.

Ho Ho Ho

Patrice
Old 12-24-2008, 06:19 AM   #98
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcountry311 View Post
jennifer our local joann's is going out of business. some great sales on fabric. selection is getting slim.
HUH? Joann's always has about 5 people in line In Lewisville TX . Is it a small one that is closing? Not the Super Stores I hope! They did close all the little stores when they opened the big ones here in Dallas.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:52 AM   #99
Stampin' Fool

I've been a teacher and a crafter for many years. I have a pretty good system set up for early gift-making. The first few months of the year, I make a plan for what I'd like to make for next Christmas--gather patterns, materials, etc. Then I craft like crazy when I'm off of school for the summer...I usually have my Christmas cards made before school starts in the fall.
It's surprising how much you can accomplish in small bits of time if you're organized. This works best with hand sewing, but I always had handwork with me when I was waiting to pick up my kids from athletics, or at a dr appointment. If you have a small bag with projects prepped and ready to go, you can grab it on your way out the door. I'm the type of person who can't stand to be without something to do--I go nuts if my hands/brain aren't occupied 24/7, so I really need to feel like I'm keeping myself productively occupied. Of course you can't do a lot of papercrafting stuff in the car (embosssing NOT a good portable project!) but you can do things like punch out shapes, add small embellishments, etc. It's not as much fun as crafting with friends (I do that too), but it works for me.
ANother thing I want to do next school year is start an after-school crafting club for students/teachers (maybe meet once a month?). I'm gathering ideas now, will make samples during the summer, and hopefully the samples will get the kdis excited about crafting. My REAL motive is to make a lot more than just one sample, that way I have gifts pre-made! I figure I will have to kit everything up (we only have about 30 min to work), so the kits that don't get used will be ready for ME!
Old 12-24-2008, 06:53 AM   #100
Stazon Splitcoast

very & old
Old 12-24-2008, 07:13 AM   #101
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cvansluys

I have posted some of the things I made for Christmas this year in my gallery if anyone wants to see.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:28 AM   #102
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferO View Post

LOL! That's part of my problem- I have enough fabric in the closet for the rest of my lifetime!!! (Lucky for me, DH finally bought & installed the shelving I wanted for the fabric, which is why I now know how much I have!!!) I need to actually DO something with the fabric. Has anyone made those fabric bowls? I think those look so cool. I want to know how hard they are to make. I certainly have enough of the FABRIC, not that it'll stop me from buying more......

Ho ho ho! Have a great Christmas, fellow stampers! And let's keep up on this thread. I need HELP getting things accomplished with all the lovely supplies I keep buying!
Old 12-24-2008, 07:35 AM   #103
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcountry311 View Post

I'm about an hour away from any Joann's, so I don't know I guess. We have a local fabric/sewing/quilting store here in Arcade. And local I mean, it takes me 15-20 minutes to get there. We live way out in the boonies!

Our local store is having their after Christmas/clearance sale on Monday. They have a special take 30% off any one item, a whole room full of clearance items, and all holiday fabric like half off. So I will be going to town next Monday to see what I can find.

I'm planning on making holiday pillowcases for everyone next year, have like 28 on my list. So I need lots of fabric for those!
Old 12-24-2008, 07:48 AM   #104
Crimping Master

Ok, I came up with a list. I'm sure I'll be adding to it all year, but here is my list to get started!

My 3 children: A set of hat, scarf, gloves - still have to figure out if I'm sewing, crocheting, or what for these. Holiday pillowcases for new pillows. Snowman soup, gum holder, pencil holders, for stocking stuffers.

Hubby: Legacy Scrapbook, Family Cookbook, holiday pillowcases, lotion

Parents and In-Laws: Family Cookbook, Holiday Pillowcases, Stockings, Wall Hanging, lotion

Brothers, Sister, Brother in-laws, sisters-in-laws: Family Cookbooks, Holiday Pillowcases, lotion

Nieces and Nephews: Holiday Pillowcases. Snowman Soup

Grandparents and Great-Grandparents: Family Cookbook

I have lots of work to get started on! I have like 28 holiday pillowcases to make. Will be shopping for clearance holiday fabric next week. And I am going to be making a questionare type thing for all of the grandparents and great-grandparents soon so that I can get them out in January sometime. This will be for the Legacy Scrapbook that I will be making for hubby and our family. And I will also be asking them for photos that I can have copied for the scrapbook. And also for a recipe or two to contribute to the family recipe book that I am making for everyone. Hoping to get lots of recipes from everyone and I will add photos of those people too. Not quite sure how I'll be making those yet, but I have a year to figure it out right? First step is getting all the recipes and photos from everyone!

Happy Holidays!
Jen
Old 12-24-2008, 08:01 AM   #105
Matboard Maniac

To save money on the boxes of love I use styro-foam about the thickest of a box cut them the size of the box and what I did differently was to wrap them in scraps of fabric and put the magnet on the inside, I made a lot of these years ago and still have one on my frig. Especially after the fabric goes on sale after the holiday.

I need to come up with some type of plan so that I'm not rushed especially ideas, I make gifts for my husband to give to the residents in the Condo that he manges this year I had to do 44 and one for a 13th year old and I made Monogram post it holder for the single ones an Monogram note card (from Michael's $ spot) and Idea I saw here on the forum, I do not remember who did it, but it worked for me. The girl I made a Journal can with different note pads that I altered and small boxes. Only had two other gifts my husband and one girlfriend here. I live in GA and my family is in Chicago so I had sisters buy gifts for family there. Or bought items off the net and had them sent there.
DJ
Old 12-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #106
Forum Fanatic

I found the Christmas planner I am printing the day after Christmas on http://christmasplanner.com/

I choose this one I saw here in the gallery... http://organizedchristmas.com/printa...pocket-planner

but there are a lot to look at
Old 12-24-2008, 09:18 AM   #107
Rubber Obsessor

flylady.com also has a holiday control journal. I tweaked it a bit but it was helpful.

These are great ideas. I just need to stop planning and searching and start doing!
Old 12-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #108
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
I found the Christmas planner I am printing the day after Christmas on http://christmasplanner.com/

I choose this one I saw here in the gallery... http://organizedchristmas.com/printa...pocket-planner

but there are a lot to look at
THANKS for sharing those links - that organized Christmas is GOLD!
Old 12-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #109
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrapat View Post
LOL! That's part of my problem- I have enough fabric in the closet for the rest of my lifetime!!! (Lucky for me, DH finally bought & installed the shelving I wanted for the fabric, which is why I now know how much I have!!!) I need to actually DO something with the fabric. Has anyone made those fabric bowls? I think those look so cool. I want to know how hard they are to make. I certainly have enough of the FABRIC, not that it'll stop me from buying more......

Ho ho ho! Have a great Christmas, fellow stampers! And let's keep up on this thread. I need HELP getting things accomplished with all the lovely supplies I keep buying!
I found several projects that ate up a good amount of fabric. Pillowcases in fun fabrics, cell phone holders, boutique tissue covers, tote bags, patchwork laundry bags all were former projects that SHOULD have made a big dent in my stash when mass produced. Unfortunately, I kept finding fabric in the stores that was JUST PERFECT for the project....
I made fabric bowls that were a bit too putzy for me....not hard, just too time-consuming for me. You need to buy the heavy interfacing (can't remember the name of it offhand) and that really makes a difference in your finished product.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #110
Die Cut Diva

I'm still tempted-those bowls just look so cool.

And the great fabric pile- picture an entire (not walk-in) bedroom closet, about 7 feet wide, filled top to floor, with folded fabric. I suppose there may be more lurking in the basement, too. But it's such ME fabric!!! I think I need to learn to quilt. There's no way I can ever make it all into clothes for myself.

I never thought about pillowcases. Hm........
Old 12-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #111
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Pea View Post
Here's my BIGGEST tip for getting your Christmas stuff done...BLOG EVERYTHING...somehow the pressure of blogging 5+X a week has kept me ON TRACK! All my stuff was ready to go on time this year...all my presents sent on time (usually I'm running around last minute trying to get stuff shipped at the higher rate) All gifts wrapped and all things made...it worked out great for me! Kept me right on track!
I did a 25 projects in 25 days for the month of Dec. on my blog ONLY because I had so many projects to do anyway (made all the gifts for teachers, kid's friends, etc.). They weren't all gifts and I still have one more day to go! Definitely committing myself to my blog was challenging in that I made myself post every day with this type of challenge! Almost went crazy but sure did get a lot done... Happy Holidays!

Old 12-24-2008, 09:00 PM   #112
Forum Fanatic

Just opened a mmm skinny bop holiday edition http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...3#post12470893

Got some holiday pounds to shed? Come join me... open to 15 people.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:10 PM   #113
Kookie Creator

I really want to make some pillowcases for the kids for sure next year. Does anyone know where I can find a pattern for them?

I'll come back and update the rest of my list later.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #114
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Yahoo to tanjat67

I would also like to make my own gift tags and some napkin rings as well

Blog: http://handcraftsupplies.com.au/blog/
Old 12-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #115
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanjat67 View Post
I would also like to make my own gift tags and some napkin rings as well
What kind of napkin rings? Thinking my mom would like something like that. Will be hard to top her reaction to this years calendar.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:11 PM   #116
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
What kind of napkin rings? Thinking my mom would like something like that. Will be hard to top her reaction to this years calendar.
I was thinking of holly napkin rings i found some instruction on the internet if you want a copy of it would you pm me your email address and i will email them to you

Tanja

Old 12-24-2008, 11:13 PM   #117
Rubber Obsessor

i was also thinking of lollie jars which i will either paint or put clear xmas stickers on them and my own christmas crackers

Old 12-24-2008, 11:42 PM   #118
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley's_mom View Post
I really want to make some pillowcases for the kids for sure next year. Does anyone know where I can find a pattern for them?

I'll come back and update the rest of my list later.
http://www.mormonchic.com/crafty/pillowcases.asp
http://www.alternative-windows.com/pillow-cases.htm
Old 12-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #119
Forum Fanatic

I made a few lap quilts some years ago. With all the talk of fabric pile up I think I may do this again.
http://www.quilthowto.com/How_To_Mak..._Quilting.html

or perhaps potholders... I have never made any but I remember my grandmother making them
http://fiberfantasies.wordpress.com/...e-pot-holders/

Last edited by glitterdovefairy; 12-24-2008 at 11:56 PM..
Old 12-25-2008, 12:00 AM   #120
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
I made a few lap quilts some years ago. With all the talk of fabric pile up I think I may do this again.
http://www.quilthowto.com/How_To_Mak..._Quilting.html

or perhaps potholders... I have never made any but I remember my grandmother making them
http://fiberfantasies.wordpress.com/...e-pot-holders/

and grocery bag holders
http://www.craftelf.com/Extra%20Larg...g%20Holder.htm