Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree144Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #641
Compulsive Stamper

Default Denise's Lotion - Substitution?

Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas and inspiration!

I'd love to make Denise's lotion. I'm in Canada, and cannot find Delon Vitamin E cream, so I wondered if anyone can suggest a substitute? I'm guessing it should be a cream in a jar (not a lotion in a bottle). Is it as "stiff" as Nivea Cream? Could I use Body Butter?

I found some very nice jars so I'm ready, except for finding a suitable cream! TIA

Cindy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #642
Polyshrink Goddess

I couldn't find Delon vitamin e cream either. I used vitamin e cream or lotion that I found at Walmart. I think the brand name was Fruit of the Earth. HTH.

Bonnie
Old 08-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #643
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

I've used the Fruit of the Earth, too, and loved it! )
Old 08-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #644
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniesmom View Post
I have not read through all the threads but this year I am revamping an idea I did several years ago.

Fill the wisk part of a kitchen wisk with Hershey's Hugs and Kisses. I wrap it in cellophane and add a big bow. Then I type and stamp a cute tag that reads "Wisking you a Merry Christmas". Hugs and Kisses, signed xxxx

I saw this idea on a website - could have been here, years ago. Now that my DD is in a new school with new teachers I can do this idea again. It is a small inexpensive gift but a very cute idea.
I love this. I am going to do this for my co-workers!

Thanks
Old 08-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #645
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks for the cream suggestions - I found some in "the other Christmas thread" too. Hope to try it soon!

Cindy
Old 08-16-2009, 05:08 AM   #646
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cvansluys

I don't know why I was looking through Pick A Petal gallery but, I found this neat idea for giving a gift card. I have a niece that will be nearly 16 at Christmas and all she wants is $$$. The links are for the template and picture of someones finished project.
Folded Envelope Card
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...494?&cat=10364
You could use something other than flower for Christmas....obviously!
Old 08-16-2009, 05:28 AM   #647
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvansluys View Post
I don't know why I was looking through Pick A Petal gallery but, I found this neat idea for giving a gift card. I have a niece that will be nearly 16 at Christmas and all she wants is $$$. The links are for the template and picture of someones finished project.
Folded Envelope Card
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...494?&cat=10364
You could use something other than flower for Christmas....obviously!

cute stuff cindy! thanks for the links!

we usually give mostly GCs for christmas. it cuts down on returns for getting the wrong size/color or whole gift idea all together! (sometimes in laws can...i won't even finish that statement)
Old 08-16-2009, 05:34 AM   #648
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by momis mama View Post
cute stuff cindy! thanks for the links!

we usually give mostly GCs for christmas. it cuts down on returns for getting the wrong size/color or whole gift idea all together! (sometimes in laws can...i won't even finish that statement)
What are you talking about In-Laws.....my Mother takes things back!! Last year I made her some really cool things (my opinion) and the basket I gave it to her in, with all the items, is still sitting in her office!! One of the items was a Page Protector Calendar (in my gallery)!!

So, this year she is getting books and gift cards!!! Thanks for letting me vent!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 05:48 AM   #649
Pearl-ExPert

I know we have talked about altering composition books....but, I just could not wrap my head around a journal type. Until I saw this one in the gallery! I love it! http://stampinwithjulie.blogspot.com...-thursday.html

I could see giving this to my SILs, MIL and Sister for Thanksgiving gifts for them to use. I would divide the pages into: Food, Cards, Gifts and make a pocket for Reciepts and Gift tags!
Old 08-16-2009, 07:19 AM   #650
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I know we have talked about altering composition books....but, I just could not wrap my head around a journal type. Until I saw this one in the gallery! I love it! http://stampinwithjulie.blogspot.com...-thursday.html

I could see giving this to my SILs, MIL and Sister for Thanksgiving gifts for them to use. I would divide the pages into: Food, Cards, Gifts and make a pocket for Reciepts and Gift tags!

i do a lot of the composition books!

my great niece just asked me to do one for one of her classes this year.

they are also at the top of the gift list for my daughters' friends.

i always have some on hand.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:50 AM   #651
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by momis mama View Post
i do a lot of the composition books!

my great niece just asked me to do one for one of her classes this year.

they are also at the top of the gift list for my daughters' friends.

i always have some on hand.

I see the office stores have them on sale this weekend. Too bad I did not think of it last weekend.....it was the tax free weekend here in St. Louis!!! Darn!!
Old 08-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #652
Inking Addict

This year I've decided to be ruthless - sending Christmas cards can become a habit if:

1) the person you send them to year after year never reciprecates, and,

2) you haven't seen them in years and despite you keeping them up to date with your life in the annual Xmas letter, they just sign their name and you haven't a clue about what they're up to:

So I've decided to just send a card to the friends and family who really matter to me and for each one of them I am going to make an extra special card.

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh but this year rather than bowing to convention I'm going to celebrate the people who really matter to me.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #653
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardmaking-Comp View Post
This year I've decided to be ruthless - sending Christmas cards can become a habit if:

2) you haven't seen them in years and despite you keeping them up to date with your life in the annual Xmas letter, they just sign their name and you haven't a clue about what they're up to:

So I've decided to just send a card to the friends and family who really matter to me and for each one of them I am going to make an extra special card.

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh but this year rather than bowing to convention I'm going to celebrate the people who really matter to me.
It does not sound harsh.....it sounds just right! And I speak for myself, and a few others I know, that you have to do what is right for you.

DH and I have dropped several folks from our annual Christmas card tradition. Because, like you, we never hear back from them or, like you, only get a signed card. That would not be so bad if they followed up with an e-mail or something but, that does not happen either.

And we go one further....if we are going to see them at Christmas, we don't send one at all because....we are going to be with them and wish them a merry, merry in person!

Let us know when you post your cards, we would love to see them!!
Old 08-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #654
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardmaking-Comp View Post

No, it doesn't sound harsh at all - just realistic in these tough times with higher and higher postage.

My "rules" for Christmas cards have usually been that I send them to all close family members, including those who live here in town and that I see frequently. Most of them like getting handmade cards and tell me so.

I also send them to close friends who live here that I visit with regularly. Ditto on liking handmade cards. These two categories also get Birthday and "no special reason cards" throughout the year and love receiving them.

Then, there is the category of "friends" who live here that I think fondly of, but for one reason or another, usually just busy or changing lifestyles, I don't see very often. They get Christmas cards, too.

This doesn't add up to a very long list. Last Christmas I think I made and sent about 30 cards.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 08-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #655
Mad Swapper

Cool

I trimmed my card list. There are some people I would not want to be in touch with. lol

I am sewing on grandson's curtains for their John Deere bedroom, and I am wondering if I got enough material. I will be cutting it close.

Patrice
Old 08-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #656
Gabfest Goddess

My rule on Christmas cards is, if I don't receive from them two years in a row, I don't send to them anymore. If they don't write a note, than that is what they receive, just a signed Christmas card. Doesn't sound very nice of me, but that is just the way it is.
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 08-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #657
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carissa Crops View Post
I've done the movie buckets before... you can sometimes find a plastic version of the paper boxes you get at the theater for popcorn at dollar stores. Walmart also carries the little boxes of candy like at the theater for about $1.

Thanks for such great ideas everyone!! I can't wait to get started next month!!
Carissa, I will have to keep my eyes out for those!
Old 08-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #658
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyku View Post
And Walgreen's has popcorn candy in a red & white striped popcorn box.
ooooooo, I need to find some of that!
Old 08-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #659
Pearl-ExPert

I don't do a whole lot of Christmas cards - usually around 50 total, and about 25 of those alone are to my mom's side of the family. I only send out probably 3 or 4 each year to people I don't really see much of the rest of the year, but who send cards and letters every year and we email. The rest are all to other family members/friends and a lot of them are hand-delivered (cuts down on postage). I know people that send out hundreds - it must work for them - but I think 50 is my limit. Most of the people on the list also get other holiday cards and birthday cards, etc.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #660
Pearl-ExPert

Ok.....I am so excited I am actually starting my gift making process. I made my list yesterday, after looking at my stash o' recyclables. I had 3 composition notebooks and tons of Christmas paper....so I am making this http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=24926
I think this will be a nice gift for my sisters in laws and sister for Thanksgiving so they can use it for Christmas.

I have everything cut out and tonight going to put together, at least. The embelishment process will take a little longer though!

Oh, just wanted to tell you that in Jan. I made up a batch of Denise's Lotion and kept it in my basement, in the jars I will give it in.....it has held up very well. NO change in consistency or fragrance! That will also be for the same family members.

So what is everyone else working on? Patrice?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #661
Rubber Obsessor

Wow! Awesome ideas - I guess it's time to get started on Christmas stuff
Old 08-17-2009, 04:05 PM   #662
Die Cut Diva

http://www.skiptomylou.org/

I hope my link works to the Skip to my Lou blog. In her next post or two down she has great ideas that can be sewn. I like the sewn coasters and the napkins/bread covers she turned into towels with scrap fabric.

Everybody I know has gotten paper crafted gifts for the last few years, I may try to surprise them this year with my minimal sewing ability.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #663
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
What are you talking about In-Laws.....my Mother takes things back!! Last year I made her some really cool things (my opinion) and the basket I gave it to her in, with all the items, is still sitting in her office!! One of the items was a Page Protector Calendar (in my gallery)!!

So, this year she is getting books and gift cards!!! Thanks for letting me vent!!!
I just looked in your gallery and I loved the page protector Calendar. I cant believe the work you must have put into it. Just know it was given with love and never change.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #664
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundayshine View Post
I just looked in your gallery and I loved the page protector Calendar. I cant believe the work you must have put into it. Just know it was given with love and never change.
Thank you for your kind words.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:45 AM   #665
Mad Swapper

Smile

Hey Cindy,

I can top the calendar story with my mil.

But that would waste our holiday work time. lol

Patrice
Old 08-19-2009, 05:50 AM   #666
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAMPTAYLOR View Post
Hey Cindy,

Patrice
OH Come On!! Now that you have teased us....you have to tell us!!
Old 08-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #667
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Hey Cindy,

Patrice

Now you have to tell since we are curious!
Old 08-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #668
Mad Swapper

Cool

Weeeeelll, since you have twisted my arm. I danced in a circle when my mil got me a battery operated flour sifter one year.

And then many years ago she was having a holiday tea at her house for her book club. I made a batch of peppernuts. For those who have never had the priviledge of eating those, they are tiny round buttery cookies flavored with oil of anise. You have to make up the dough, let it sit over night, then work out dough into long ropes, then cut in tiny slices and bake. The cookies are about the size of a nickel. Then you put them in tins to age. The longer they age, the flavor mellows, get crisp. My family loves these, and they are an acquired taste. And as you can tell, a lot of work and effort. I went and bought the prettiest holiday tin I could find, loaded a big bunch of these, and took it to her. I thought she could sit it out on her table, and serve them.
She opened the tin, took a tiny miniscule bite of a cookie, threw the cookie back in, exclaimed " YUKKK!!! Thanks but no thanks, don't you know how to bake anything chocolate?"

Yeah I will bake something chocolate for you, when
pigs fly. lol

This is the rudeness my dh was raised with, and I have spent the last 30 years breaking him of. I was taught when someone gives you a gift, be gracious, thank them, even if it goes straight to the garbage disposal.

I got even more, but my fingers would fall off from typing.

Patrice
Old 08-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #669
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Weeeeelll, since you have twisted my arm. I danced in a circle when my mil got me a battery operated flour sifter one year.

And then many years ago she was having a holiday tea at her house for her book club. I made a batch of peppernuts. For those who have never had the priviledge of eating those, they are tiny round buttery cookies flavored with oil of anise. You have to make up the dough, let it sit over night, then work out dough into long ropes, then cut in tiny slices and bake. The cookies are about the size of a nickel. Then you put them in tins to age. The longer they age, the flavor mellows, get crisp. My family loves these, and they are an acquired taste. And as you can tell, a lot of work and effort. I went and bought the prettiest holiday tin I could find, loaded a big bunch of these, and took it to her. I thought she could sit it out on her table, and serve them.
She opened the tin, took a tiny miniscule bite of a cookie, threw the cookie back in, exclaimed " YUKKK!!! Thanks but no thanks, don't you know how to bake anything chocolate?"

pigs fly. lol

This is the rudeness my dh was raised with, and I have spent the last 30 years breaking him of. I was taught when someone gives you a gift, be gracious, thank them, even if it goes straight to the garbage disposal.

Patrice
That very nearly makes me glad I'm single and don't have to deal with a MIL!!!!! How rude is she?!?!!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #670
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

pigs fly. lol

Patrice
And that was good....you were right! So was that the last time you baked anything for her again? I love those cookies....you can bake a tin for me!

I have more stories about my mom, not my MIL. My MIL is wonderful, though we had a rocky start when DH and I first got married (this is my 2nd marriage, his first...we've only been married 6 years). Things are so much better between us....in fact, I would call her my friend! I talk to her generally before I talk to my Mom, when I need help sorting out things in life. Sad, huh?

Thanks for telling us!
Old 08-20-2009, 06:09 AM   #671
Gabfest Goddess

Patrice, Your cookies sound wonderful!! Not so much your MIL, though! I hate to change the subject, but does anyone have a coffee drink mix that they have tried and really like? I would like to make some up for gifts for my coffee drinking friends (I have the stamp set Like You A Latte that I just got and want to use it!!) I already have a hot chocolate mix from a post earlier in this thread (have another stamp set for that one too!!)
Proud RAK Member
Old 08-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #672
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymomto2 View Post
Patrice, Your cookies sound wonderful!! Not so much your MIL, though! I hate to change the subject, but does anyone have a coffee drink mix that they have tried and really like? I would like to make some up for gifts for my coffee drinking friends (I have the stamp set Like You A Latte that I just got and want to use it!!) I already have a hot chocolate mix from a post earlier in this thread (have another stamp set for that one too!!)
Oh, that sounds good! I would be interested in that too!

Does it use instant coffee?
Old 08-20-2009, 06:25 AM   #673
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Holy cow how incredibly rude?!?! My mother woulda smacked the snot out of me no matter how old I was if I ever did anything like that! kudos to you for handling so gracefully (wait - what was your reaction?!).
Old 08-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #674
Rubber Obsessor

I hate it when I hear bad MIL stories......not all of us are bad......I had issues with my MIL, but, she is dearly missed now.....and, on the whole....she was a wonderful person.....now that I'm on the other side, I really try to be a good MIL....sometimes it is hard because DIL aren't perfect specimens either.....trouble is, it's a case of families melding together and every family has different ways of doing things...you have 3 children and 3 spouses now....so, it all is a difficult balancing act...but, on the whole, we get along great....I know I do or say things that may upset one of them sometimes, but, they do the same....so hopefully it all equals out...bottom line...we all love each other and the bonus of 6 beautiful grandchildren just sweetens the pot! And I love doing all the wonderful projects I find on this website for them....
Old 08-20-2009, 07:48 AM   #675
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Oh, that sounds good! I would be interested in that too!

Does it use instant coffee?
Yes, I believe that it does, all you need is hot water.
Proud RAK Member
Old 08-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #676
Mad Swapper

Cool

My reaction to the "cookie tin fiasco" was cold dead silence. Dh was raised in this dysfunction, so it took him years to realize " this isn't right". His relationship with his family at this moment is strained at best. For the couple of years I had a dil, dh and I were very good to her. But when she abandoned my son, and two children, then tried to extort money from us, I am cool in my dealings with her. I am a generous person, I will do anything for anybody, but dump on me once, that's it.

Okay, what is everybody working on/ How many days until Christmas?

Patrice
Old 08-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #677
Rubber Obsessor

I LOOOOVVE!!! those cookies but don't have the patience to make them. I can only get them when I visit my brother in Ks.

Bless you for having your heart in the right place, too bad I can't say the same for her. Just keep on being who you are tho - don't let her stop you from doing things out of love.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #678
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
My reaction to the "cookie tin fiasco" was cold dead silence. Dh was raised in this dysfunction, so it took him years to realize " this isn't right". His relationship with his family at this moment is strained at best. For the couple of years I had a dil, dh and I were very good to her. But when she abandoned my son, and two children, then tried to extort money from us, I am cool in my dealings with her. I am a generous person, I will do anything for anybody, but dump on me once, that's it.

Okay, what is everybody working on/ How many days until Christmas?

Patrice
Roughly 4 months!!! EeeeK!!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #679
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymomto2 View Post

here is one for hot cocoa & one for mocha coffee...

hot cocoa mix
6 1/2 c. powdered milk
1-5 oz. pkg. cook & serve chocolate pudding
1 c. powdered chocolate milk drink mix
1/2 c. powdered non-dairy creamer
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder

can be stored in a dry area for 3 months.
dissolve 1/3 c. cocoa mix in 1 c. boiling water... ENJOY! i did! i made an extra batch for US!
------------------------------------------
mocha coffee mix
1 1/4 c. instant coffee granules
7 c. dry milk powder
5 3/4 c. powdered chocolate milk drink mix
1/4 c. powdered sugar
1 3/4 c. powdered non-dairy creamer

store in an air tight container
add 4 T. mixture to 1 c. boiling water

i made this cute little gift for my BFF last year!http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...6&thumbsonly=0
Old 08-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #680
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Michelle! I remembered that post from last year.....it was great! Thinking teachers, school nurses or office staff.