Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-15-2005, 03:58 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's get some perspective on things

I originally posted this in another forum, but thought that it also might be good to post here. I appreciate any thoughts.

I have been reading lately about all of the demos and customers who feel that they absolutely need to know about specials as soon as possible, if not earlier than they should. These threads have really become a bit too much for me to read. I think it's time we put some things into perspective.

A good friend of mine recently found out she has cancer, and just the other day went through a 10 hour operation to remove the cancerous area and do some reconstruction work. Her health issues are so much more important to me than knowing what the April special will be.

My SIL, who has Down Syndrome and Alzheimers, has recently been hospitalized due to complications from pneumonia. I would rather email family members to find out her condition than email my customers to let them know about any specials right now.

I work in a school in a very low socioeconomic neighborhood. These children have almost nothing, and yet they manage to come to school with a smile on their face and a hug for their teachers. I choose to do things for them that take up my time, and take me away from stamping sometimes. They are more important to me.

I'm not saying these things to get any sympathy, and I do understand that SU! is the primary business for many demos. I do not understand, however, the sense of urgency and importance that some demos and customers place on all things stamping. Whether or not someone finds out about a special the minute it comes out is not going to make much of a difference in this world. Knowing that there are people in this world who are less fortunate than ourselves and reaching out to help them will make a difference.

All I am asking, I guess, is that we all put things into perspective, that we all look at stamping for what it is....a hobby for some, a business for others, and not the most important thing in the world. Don't get me wrong, I love to stamp, and most evenings you can find me in my craft room stamping away for even a short period of time. You will not find me staying up until midnight to find out the April special, or any other month for that matter. In the big scheme of things, it's just not as important as other issues in my life.

Barb
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 04:01 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for that Barb!

Joy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 04:09 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Default perspective

Hear! Hear! Very well put!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 04:10 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Very well said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 04:11 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

All I am asking, I guess, is that we all put things into perspective, that we all look at stamping for what it is....a hobby for some, a business for others, and not the most important thing in the world. Don't get me wrong, I love to stamp, and most evenings you can find me in my craft room stamping away for even a short period of time. You will not find me staying up until midnight to find out the April special, or any other month for that matter. In the big scheme of things, it's just not as important as other issues in my life.

Barb...I can see your point, but you also have to realize that being here and stamping or having friends here helps people that might not have a lot of happiness in their lives. IRL some people can't make friends easily, but in cyberstamping land, everyone is a friend. There probably isn't one person here that hasn't been touched by some sort of tragedy or another. If knowing the April special early makes them smile, then I'm all for it. After all, this is a stamping website and that's what most of us are here for. Please don't be quick to judge those that are anxious for "simple things". I could go on and on, but my point is, stamping may be a release, or a therapy for someone facing many battles. I personally know of someone that is taking care of someone sick in her family. Stamping is her little escape from her pain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 04:14 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Thanks Barb for posting your thoughts. I have been finding myself quite frustrated with recent threads on SCS. I think this is a great place for us all to share our hobby, but like you said, "I think it is time to put things into perspective" and think about what you are posting.

SCS memeber # 27799
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 04:16 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for responding Lynn. And believe me, I also agree that stamping is a release and an escape. It has been for me many times! All I'm trying to say is that whether or not we know the specials for the month immediately upon their release isn't the most important and pressing issue of the day. It shouldn't make us jump to another demo simply because they put the information out quicker than another demo. Stamping ranks high on my list of things to do, but it is not at the top of the list.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 04:22 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Very well said Barb... and Lynne I hear what you are saying too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 04:39 AM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayshestamps
I do not understand, however, the sense of urgency and importance that some demos and customers place on all things stamping. Whether or not someone finds out about a special the minute it comes out is not going to make much of a difference in this world.
I also see your point, but from the general feeling I get from this board is that everyone is using this board as a way to be silly or crazy with stamping being the subject. I don't think anyone's world starts and stops with stamping (or even specials on stamps). They get on here act like stamping is the end all do all in life, and then they sign off, and go change a diaper or fill a sippy cup, type a report, make phone calls, whatever their particular responsibilty may be. But, they feel better about life because they just let off some steam by being silly (serious) about such non important issue.

Thats just my opinion though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 04:45 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Default Re: Let's get some perspective on things

Quote:

...These threads have really become a bit too much for me to read. I think it's time we put some things into perspective.

...Whether or not someone finds out about a special the minute it comes out is not going to make much of a difference in this world. Knowing that there are people in this world who are less fortunate than ourselves and reaching out to help them will make a difference.

...In the big scheme of things, it's just not as important as other issues in my life.

Barb
Barb
My heart goes out to you and your family for the heartache you must be suffering.
Please remember, however, that each person handles things differently. And while it may disturb you to read of things that you deem trivial. To others, it may be a much needed outlet...perhaps the only bright spot in their own bleak lives. Our maybe the only way to put food on their table. So, since we will never know their intent, we shouldn't be so eager to judge.
Your post was so sad. I hope you find joy in something today.
Best of luck to you.
~Michelle Z.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 05:04 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Barb...I can see your point, but you also have to realize that being here and stamping or having friends here helps people that might not have a lot of happiness in their lives. IRL some people can't make friends easily, but in cyberstamping land, everyone is a friend. There probably isn't one person here that hasn't been touched by some sort of tragedy or another. If knowing the April special early makes them smile, then I'm all for it. After all, this is a stamping website and that's what most of us are here for. Please don't be quick to judge those that are anxious for "simple things". I could go on and on, but my point is, stamping may be a release, or a therapy for someone facing many battles. I personally know of someone that is taking care of someone sick in her family. Stamping is her little escape from her pain.[/quote]

I completely agree, Barb I am sorry for the things you are going through but stamping is my escape, I am personally dealing with a lot right now also but I get on SCS to not have to think about it. I personally don't understand why everyone is so up in arms about the possiblity that the April special is going to be told to customers from someone other than their demo but I figure if people want to find out what it is they will find it whether it is here or on another site. I feel like if the posts about the April specials or other issues are really bothering anyone then they are normally very clearly marked and maybe they should just not open those posts. That is just my .02.

I now have a gallery!! www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/miss_missy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 05:13 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

I am a "just a hobby demo" I have a few friends that buy from me and IF I feel like it I'll hold a stamp camp or a stamp a stack. I send out the monthly specials on the 1st of the month and never before.

I look at it this way... Target and Walmart don't tell you on the 15th what is going to be on sale in 2 weeks so that you can plan. Restaraunts don't don't tell you what the special for Friday night is going to be on Tuesday. SU is being very generous--To The Demonstrators--by letting them know the monthly special in advance. SU is trying to help demos plan and increase their sales for the upcoming months, not to take away business for the current month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 05:16 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

While I tend to agree, Barb that there are more important things in life than stamping or SU! for that matter, this particular site is created around the hobby of stamping, and in particular SU!. So you'll find that most of the conversation here will be centered around just that. No disrespect to you, but if you are looking for a forum discussing the all important meaning of life, maybe this isn't the one for you. We are happy stampers here - and sometimes a little stamping obsessed especially when other things in our life might be tough to deal with. This is a big outlet for some of us. For instance, this thread perhaps should have been put into everyday chit-chat forum as the general discussion forum is about the almighty rubber hobby. JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 05:30 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

While I agree with the general sentiment of "it's just stamping." I do have to say, like the others, stamping is a great release. This is a great site to come and be able to be frustrated over things like "what is the next special." This site was designed for everyone and therefore it must be understood that some are a little more "crazy" for SU! than others...and that is okay. I have a great amount of pride in the cards that I stamp (notice I didn't say create... :? ) and right now with the DH gone, it's really difficult to find someone to say to me...hey, that looks great or here is what I would have done. I guess what I'm saying is if you think a thread is going to bother you...don't read it. That way you don't have to be frustrated! Thanks for listening! ~Lorie
Old 03-15-2005, 06:37 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I completely agree, Jeanne Marie. I am truly sorry, Barb, that life has been hard for you lately, and I hope you see some light in your situations soon. However, I don't think the conversations on this forum mean that the women here lack perspective. To suggest so is a LITTLE like telling me that by eating my green beans I can solve the famine in Sudan. Mind you, I do like green beans. Maybe that was a bad comparison. I just enjoy forums where things can be debated and people can speak freely (without hurting one another, or course), but there are always those who are more sensitive than others and I think you have to take everything you read within the context it is meant to be taken. Just my 2 cents...

Renee

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm_donahoe
While I tend to agree, Barb that there are more important things in life than stamping or SU! for that matter, this particular site is created around the hobby of stamping, and in particular SU!. So you'll find that most of the conversation here will be centered around just that. No disrespect to you, but if you are looking for a forum discussing the all important meaning of life, maybe this isn't the one for you. We are happy stampers here - and sometimes a little stamping obsessed especially when other things in our life might be tough to deal with. This is a big outlet for some of us. For instance, this thread perhaps should have been put into everyday chit-chat forum as the general discussion forum is about the almighty rubber hobby. JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 06:52 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny K
I am a "just a hobby demo" I have a few friends that buy from me and IF I feel like it I'll hold a stamp camp or a stamp a stack. I send out the monthly specials on the 1st of the month and never before.

I look at it this way... Target and Walmart don't tell you on the 15th what is going to be on sale in 2 weeks so that you can plan. Restaraunts don't don't tell you what the special for Friday night is going to be on Tuesday. SU is being very generous--To The Demonstrators--by letting them know the monthly special in advance. SU is trying to help demos plan and increase their sales for the upcoming months, not to take away business for the current month.
No, but they do have pricing policies so you can get an adjustment when the item does go on sale.

Long story short, I buy more now that I have the "inside scoop." I was so tired of purchasing something, and having it go on sale/special the following month. It happened repeatedly with my last demo. It would have been so nice for a heads up.

I switched because of service. I do think if you have a club customer who is repeatedly buying items you know are going to be the next month's special, it is good service to ask if they want to buy something else instead.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 06:54 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny K

No, but they do have pricing policies so you can get an adjustment when the item does go on sale.

Long story short, I buy more now that I have the "inside scoop." I was so tired of purchasing something, and having it go on sale/special the following month. It happened repeatedly with my last demo. It would have been so nice for a heads up.

I switched because of service. I do think if you have a club customer who is repeatedly buying items you know are going to be the next month's special, it is good service to ask if they want to buy something else instead.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 08:10 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Default I tend to agree with this side of it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbieB73
Quote:

I do not understand, however, the sense of urgency and importance that some demos and customers place on all things stamping. Whether or not someone finds out about a special the minute it comes out is not going to make much of a difference in this world.
I also see your point, but from the general feeling I get from this board is that everyone is using this board as a way to be silly or crazy with stamping being the subject. I don't think anyone's world starts and stops with stamping (or even specials on stamps). They get on here act like stamping is the end all do all in life, and then they sign off, and go change a diaper or fill a sippy cup, type a report, make phone calls, whatever their particular responsibilty may be. But, they feel better about life because they just let off some steam by being silly (serious) about such non important issue.

Thats just my opinion though.
In regards to the original poster, ..........just my humble opinion,........... but I believe that is what this site is for, a fantasy place, and not reality,.......... it is not meant to be....or no one would be here. This site has created a community that many do not have in their own realities. This place has laughed, cried, fought, helped, healed, creating a unique place wher people can come together and be either themselves, or not.

It appears that you deal with a harsh reality every day... so it may be hard when reality "hits ya in the face" so much and so hard.....to understand a place like this...... but this is really why all of us are here.

Yes, there are bigger things out there to be concerned with. But is there a place where all those people can go to that can help them with life issues? Not fix their situation with a magic wand, but a support place? An outlet place? Without spending a fortune on counseling or be on Dr. Phil? If they stamped, they could come here! Even if they didn't!

Someones quote said, "A friend is cheaper than therapy." So true!

This is our outlet, our support place, our "let off steam", craziness, happy, sad, angry, fight over topics, oops I offended, I am sorry, fantasy place.

I have seen that for some of us here who do not have the support from family or friends, to talk to real live people, about their issues, and it helps them with their personal lives, while all bonded by the love of creative expression.

Honestly, who on earth could have helped me with my band situation? But here, there were people that related to the subject and helped me out and just made me feel better! Thank you all!

So, I try to share in the same spirit on this site. Love and support, and acceptance of just a little craziness now and then. Or alot!

Of course we all need to keep in balance, so yes, I agree with your thoughts about perspective. That is important so we all don't get too lost in the fantasy world. So thank you for that.

But all in all, this is a stamping website CREATED for the craziness and fun that is put into it.

Take care. Maybe we need to start getting more Stampin' Art teachers around the globe to share in the unique spirit that we have found with this wonderful site!

Hmmm, stamping a cure all?

Ok, I am sure I opened myself up for a few pokes back at me... but seriously, before I started stamping, I really had no community and definitely not a huge support system.. I am thankful for this site, and for ALL the wonderful women and the few men here!

I really mean ALL of you wonderful, awesome, artistic, crazy, happy, sad, struggling with situation, STAMPERS! You crazy gals have all just become my "bestest friends", ok, I need a tissue!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 08:31 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Barb,

I completely understand what you are saying and that there are a lot of other important things in life. Your examples are very valid. Having said that, however, I go to this site to escape from the everyday up's and downs. I by no means feel that stamping or wanting to know about the next special is more important than a friend having cancer or a family member suffering from an incurable disease. I too have experienced similar situations but find that my hobby is sometimes a momentary escape from it. I only say this in kindness, not in anger.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 10:23 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

And I also think it is important to remember that what is "in" perspective for one, does not mean it is for another. We are all unique individuals with different likes and dislikes (except for stamping ), different opinions, different beliefs etc.. That is what makes this site so wonderful! You can choose where to go, what to read, and what to comment on. That is what freedom is all about.
just my 2c
Melanie
Reply With Quote Likes