Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-17-2005, 05:29 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just wondering...

would it be inappropriate to give a set of handstamped thank you cards as part of a bridal shower gift? We all expect thank you cards to be sent, I just don't want to seem like I'm pushing the issue!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 05:37 AM   #2  
Inking Addict

I think it's a great idea! I was just invited to a shower and the bride's favorite color is pink. I'm making her a set of thank you cards, including the stamps and hopefully I will find a great stationary box to put them in this weekend when I go shopping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 05:37 AM   #3  
Mini Quack

Default just wondering

I often give a little basket of thank you's and stationary and envelopes and stamps especially is it is a hard to buy for person... or someone I do not know very well... I add a pretty pen and a "list" pad for grocery or things to do pad...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 05:55 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Sounds like a great idea - just clear it with those having the party - a lot of times they will buy some and ask that everyone fill out an envelope at the party so the new bride-to-be doesn't have to do it - she will just fill out the cards and put them in the preaddressed envelopes. They would probably love the idea!
edited to correct mom-to-be to bride-to-be - I've got babies on teh brain lately lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 06:14 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Here is a great shower game that almost guarantees you will get a thank you card back!! Have everyone address an envelope from the thank you cards themselves, as if you were mailing a card to you. Put them in a basket and draw for door prizes. That way, the bride or mom-to-be doesn't have to go searching for addresses and zip codes - all the envelopes are already addressed and ready to go. Perhaps you can give the thank you cards in advance to the hostess, along with the envelopes, and see if she would be willing to do this?

The Blog

The Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 06:16 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

hahaha!! JM and I must have been at the same shower!!! :lol:

The Blog

The Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 06:16 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Default thank you notes

I think that is a great gift to give and can also be helpful and ensure that thank yous are given. Some people are funny though, so you probably should check with the host of the party to make sure no one will be put off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 06:33 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I think you should do it. I'm sure it will be very much appreciated.
I recently sent a set of 'thank you' cards that I stamped along with envelopes and postage stamps to a lady with cancer. She lives far away from me, so I was thinking of ways to help her from a distance. At first I wasn't sure if I should do it, since I think writing thank you notes should be the least of her concerns right now, so I asked one of her friends how she felt about it. She said I should definitely do it, so I did and she was really happy with them. Several people have already told me she sent them one of my cards. Now I'll be making her another set next week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 06:38 AM   #9  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At my sister's shower I made the Thank You cards to match the invites and had the guests fill out the nevelopes as they arrived. I also had them stamped so all she had to do was write them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 06:48 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

thanks for all the great ideas...keep 'em coming!! My MIL is hosting the shower for my future SIL at a restaurant...an older crowd will be attending (the grooms side of the family) so I dont know how many games will be played!! :lol:
It's been a while since I've been to a shower and wasn't sure what was "proper" these days!
I'm thinking about making favors so if anyone has any great ideas (all your ideas are great, who am I kidding!) send those along too...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 06:55 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Not at all! I got a great package of handstamped baby thank you cards at my baby shower! I used them all! They were beautiful!

A.

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 06:57 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhansen
Here is a great shower game that almost guarantees you will get a thank you card back!! Have everyone address an envelope from the thank you cards themselves, as if you were mailing a card to you. Put them in a basket and draw for door prizes. That way, the bride or mom-to-be doesn't have to go searching for addresses and zip codes - all the envelopes are already addressed and ready to go. Perhaps you can give the thank you cards in advance to the hostess, along with the envelopes, and see if she would be willing to do this?
While I think this is a great idea, especially since I'm losing track of all of the people who fail to send thank you's after recieving gifts, people of older generations some times find this to be inappropriate. My maid of honor had heard of this and at one of my bridal showers did this for me and I heard several complaints (through my mother!) So what started out to be a great idea ended up being frustrating and embarrassing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 07:00 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

I think the thank you cards as a gift are a great idea but if everyone is filling out the envelopes then it kinda seems to take away from the gift, what I mean is if everyone has the envelopes then are you going to just put the cards in the gift box or what? It just kinda seems like if it was done that way that maybe it was just an extra thing you did for her instead of the gift, but if it is packaged as a gift I think it is a great idea. Also not to seem tacky or to be flaming anyone but I think it is tacky to have people address their own envelopes for the thank you cards, I understand the bride to be is going to have a lot going on but if you had the address's to invite the people to the shower then you should have then to send the thank you notes, the only time I think this is acceptable is if it is a work shower or a church shower, where invites may not have been sent, that is just my opinion. Also I know sometimes people prefer to bring the gifts to the wedding so this makes it a little ackward for those people that may have wanted to take part in the celebration but wanted to give the gift later.

I now have a gallery!! www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/miss_missy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 07:12 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the cards are a great idea -- I agree that having folks address their own envelopes is not a good idea. I'd go nuts if someone asked me to do this for a thank you note that I would receive. I hope I don't offend, I think this may be a generational thing, as in if you are old enough to remember where you were when Kennedy was shot, you probably would not like this idea!

ps. still waiting for my cousin to send a thank you note for her wedding gift. She's been married about 16 years!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 07:22 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I received a set of thank you cards as a wedding gift from a friend of mine who really introduced me to the world of stamping. It was one of the best gifts I received! They were beautiful and I really appreciated the time she put into them. I think it's a very thoughtful gift.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 07:36 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

[quote="Joan B"]the cards are a great idea -- I agree that having folks address their own envelopes is not a good idea. I'd go nuts if someone asked me to do this for a thank you note that I would receive. I hope I don't offend, I think this may be a generational thing, as in if you are old enough to remember where you were when Kennedy was shot, you probably would not like this idea!quote]

As posted above I agree with you but I am only 26 so I don't know that it is generational, I really would be offended if asked to do that unless it was in the situations I mentioned, even then I think it is better to maybe just have a form for the people to put there info on.

I now have a gallery!! www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/miss_missy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 07:39 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I also think it is a great idea. I would love to get premade thank you cards. When you are sooooo busy making preparations for a wedding, its nice to not have to worry about every little thing. So already having thank you cards would be great. Same thing for a baby shower. Thats just my thoughts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 07:43 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

I also think doing Thank You cards as gifts is a great idea! I also am among those who do not appreciate the idea of filling my own name and address on an envelope (maybe it is an age thing). If I can take the time to get a gift for someone, they can take the time to address an envelope. JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 08:00 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Wow, what a great idea...I will have to pass this on to my friend as her daughter is having a Wedding this July...it sounds like it could be lots of fun. You gals always come up with such fun/interesting ideas...keep them coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 09:18 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with all who said they don't care for the idea of having guests address their own envelopes. (I'm 34 by the way.) At my own shower, the maid of honor addressed all envelopes for the thank you cards that she had picked out, which were totally not my style. While I was ever so grateful for her hard work and gift, I felt bad because I had already ordered personalized thank you cards. Everyone is different though.

I think giving a gift of handmade cards is a very nice idea though. They don't have to be a wedding theme and then the couple can use them anytime.
Reply With Quote Likes