Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inserts for cards

I like to make inserts for cards as they look more 'professional' and can make it more sturdy (particularly with 'tent fold' cards as, if it is the right size, it provides more support for the card).

Lately though, I have seen a few people struggle to open cards with inserts, old people or people with manual dexterity problems and young children. even though I stick the left side of the insert to the inside front of the card I have seen these people struggle to open the insert and then give up. So, in future, i will be more selective in whose cards I put inserts in. Maybe I should also stick the right hand side of the insert to the card?

Ruth
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I add an insert to cards when the cardstock is to dark to write on and be easily seen. When I add an insert, I cut it 1/4 of an inch small and adhere it down all the way around. Not sure if this is how other people do it but it works for me. I haven't done a lot of fancy folds cards though so not sure how that works out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 04:50 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

One tip I read, was that store bought cards are usually a quarter inch or so narrower at the back than the front to make opening them easier. Maybe it would help if the insert was a little narrower on one side? I always stick mine to the left side of the fold, then re- crease down the fold of the card, it seems to help.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 01-04-2013 at 04:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shaz, you are right! I just went and looked at several store-bought cards I recently received and they are a bit narrower at the back. Not as much as a quarter inch, but probably 1/16th or 1/8th, somewhere in there. Maybe that's the standard here in the US.

Wow. Never thought of it but it does make it easier to open.

I've never done inserts but would like to sometimes, so this thread gave me some good ideas. Michelle, do you mean you adhere the insert all the way round the front side (behind the card front)? Or all the way around the insert on both sides?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Like Michelle, I cut my inserts about 1/4 inch smaller all around and then adhere them on all edges to seal them tightly to the card base. I usually only put an insert on the right side, not the left, unless I need to cover ribbon or another embellishment that carried over from my card front. I used to line my cards to make them sturdier, but I've started buying really heavyweight paper to remedy that, and now I usually only line cards with dark bases.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Another little tip, if your card is heavy on the front with embellishments cut a tiny bit off the bottom of the back, tapering up from the centre fold f you follow me, only a tiny bit mind you, it tips the card back everso slightly, so it doesn't fall forwards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh what a great idea, BathBelle! Thanks for the tip. I rarely use an insert sometimes a carryover embellishment as I use 110 or 120 lb. card stock for the base. And the base is almost always white or ivory.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I've always thought of an insert as a loose folded piece of paper inside the card, adhered at the crease or on one edge. I guess it can also be the piece of CS you glue in the card.

I always glue in a 4 X 5.25 piece of heavy bond or CS with my message, since I rarely use a white card base.

But I like the way those folded inserts look, so want to try them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I have done the folded inserts on really "fancy" cards to add elegance, but routinely add just to the right side of the card with a 1/4" border. On a 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 I do a 1/2" border and they look very classic. In the end, I think the folded insert is a little wasteful of my expensive papers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

That's why I use 24 lb. bond for the inside of almost all my cards. If it's a very dark base, I'll use CS. Otherwise not. I also don't like adding a thick extra layer to my cards, since I tend to make cards with multiple layers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I use Stampin' Up cardstock so the weight isn't an issue but I dark shades are. I adhere the insert to the left side ONLY if I am coving up something, and put it on the right side to stamp a sentiment on and leave an area for my writing. I adhere it all the way around to the side of the card so it sticks good! Doesn't that make sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I usually add an insert when I somehow goof stamping or ink smudges!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I've always thought of an insert as a loose folded piece of paper inside the card, adhered at the crease or on one edge. I guess it can also be the piece of CS you glue in the card.

I always glue in a 4 X 5.25 piece of heavy bond or CS with my message, since I rarely use a white card base.

But I like the way those folded inserts look, so want to try them.
Rachel, I realized after reading your post that what I use is a "card liner", not a "card insert". I really don't use inserts, although I think they look lovely. I had never even thought to add a folded insert, but now I'm thinking about certain cards that I think would look lovely with one.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2013, 01:08 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to admit, I generally use plain white copy paper for my inserts, unless I am doing something really special. I have used a sheet of vellum before now, just a single piece added to the right hand inside. I did punch two holes at the top (of the vellum & the card) and kept it in place with a small ribbon bow.Other than that, I just use a single line of tape runner down the left hand side of the spine for a folded insert, or along the top edge for a single insert- especially on easel fold cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2013, 04:17 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I use plain white copy paper too, and cut it 1/4" smaller than whatever size card I'm making. I use the inserts on all my cards because I think it gives the sender additional room to write along with a sentiment that I put on the inside. I try to jazz it up by stamping an element from the front on the inside in versamark or just a lighter color ink. Like, if there's a butterfly on the front, why not put it on the inside too? I've also seen beautiful cards where they used the pattern paper scraps (from the outside) and used a strip or so on the inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2013, 05:17 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

If I did a liner, it would be vellum, and that's for the fancy cards. Other times I do an insert for the dark card bases when writing in them would be hard to read.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I've always added inserts to the right side of the card when I use dark card stock. But lately I've been making inserts for both sides, folded in the middle, 1/4 in smaller all around. I have tons of old thin paper from the Hot Off the Press books from 15 or more years ago when I first started scrapbooking and these are what I've been using. It helps use them up and makes my cards look nice. Next to use will be the dozens of Provo Craft Bitty Pads from the same era, especially the neutral tones or subtle prints. It's my way of using up stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes