Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #121
Rubber Obsessor

I'm really pleased to see someone mention two big problem areas that are simple to solve: Store Coupons and pattern paper. I have several lovely independent scrapbook stores that I enjoy visiting, so I've been making an effort to use my money more effectively on product I REALLY want, and therefore support my local store. Staying away from the big chains even though they have a 40% coupon has helped me eliminate impulse buying, and it also makes visiting the independent store more of an Event to celebrate. Sure, when Michael's or AC Moore has got a 50% or 60% coupon I get tempted- but I always need adhesive, lol. Meanwhile, pattern paper is a "Gotcha!" no matter how you look at it. I only buy pattern paper now if it's a style that I just fall seriously in love with- which means, if I see it and am still thinking about it in a month, then I'll get it. If I forget about it, then it wasn't meant to be. But it has to meet one criteria- I'll buy a paper pack with an idea already formed for a small album or set of cards. If I can't think of a real plan for how I'm going to use it, then it doesn't matter how much I love it, it'll just sit there in my closet (like the Alice in Wonderland paper last year!)
-c
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #122
Compulsive Stamper

Wow this thread has been interesting to read. Due to budget concerns I need to stop buying more of things I don't use! I have so much stuff that the study/craft/guest room looks like a bomb hit it and I haven't felt like making anything, because there is no space to work anywhere! I need to clean up the mess and not add anything else into it! Thanks for your tips...it is hard, but I can delete those emails that will have coupons and unless it is going for something that is necessary...delete!!! May you have the courage to do what you are convicted to do...and me too! Happy, healthy, and thankful new year 2011!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #123
Proud Fan Club Member

Red face Going Cold Turkey

O boy, I have been struggling with this for years. It is truly an addiction for me.

I have been following the thread on over spending and commented occasionally.

I have been trying but always fail. The last slip was when one of our larger and much loved paper craft stores decided to close their doors.
I even took my husband with me as the shopping police so its hardly my fault the we spent close to $500.00 au.

I kept saying "would you look at the price of that" and he kept saying "well if you need it get it" He didn't fail altogether. He confiscated all the goodies and then told our adult children that he had all my presents for Christmas and to come see him to negotiate.

It is now the 30th here and I'm sitting in my craft room at my laptop surrounded by all those goodies and aprox 5000 stamps, every colour of paper that Stampin Up has produced in the past 5 years, every stamp pad they have produced in the same period and not to mention a meriod of other companies stock.

The upshot of all of this is that I want to join you.
Here is my commitment:

I hand over my credit cards to my long suffering, wonderfully generious husband.
I will have $50.00 a fortnight but that has to cover coffees at work as well.
I can save the money up for big things??? (how many more big things do I need?)

I can only spend my commission money from Stampin Up and if I don't reach my quarterly total I have to retire.

All birthday cards must be made on time and also submitted to challenges.

Keep my blog up to date

Only buy supplies that I absolutly need and only after checking the craft room.

Enjoy what I have and appreciate how truly blessed I am to have a wonderful husbane, children that love me and a well paying if stressful job.

Thank you for starting this thread I really do need it. Lets see how we go, be honest about our slip ups and how we manage the temptations.
Cheers

Marg down under

My Gallery - My Blog
To practice any art no matter how well or badly is to let the soul soar!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #124
Glitter Guru

Is there a support group for scrapbook junkies or buyers anonomous?[/quote]

You found it...we are all scrappin junkies here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseyr61 View Post
I totally agree. I tried to do this last year and didn't have much luck. But this year my resolve is strong. My freinds and I gave each other some of our unused over stock for Christmas and it worked out well.
I've got a great room but i've never gotten it totally organized. As I was looking through my stuff for them I found that I had tons of stuff from when I first started scrapbooking 11 years ago and my taste and style has changed alot.
I want to start this year out right and over the next couple of weeks i'm going to do some serious purging and not buy anything unless adhesive or a specific need or borrow a stamp or punch if needed instead of buying it.
Is there a support group for scrapbook junkies or buyers anonomous?
Old 12-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #125
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margscardcrazy View Post
I will have $50.00 a fortnight but that has to cover coffees at work as well.
This would be imposible for me since the $50 wouild all go for coffee and I would have nothing left over!!!

But I do love all your other ideas!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Old 12-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #126
Insane Embellisher

I just read this entire thread! good for you all ladies I usually go on a spending freeze for a month or 2 a year. It really helps, the urges to by pass and I feel more creative. The coupons are a disaster for me as well as the dollar store as I am tempted by all the lovely containers to alter as well as the craft stuff. I do not need another thing but it is fun to see new innovative design. I'm subscribing, thanks for this!
Old 12-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #127
Matboard Maniac

Default I'm in......

...adhesive is the only thing I need. Went through your phase a few years ago and did pretty good until those darn nestibilities came out.....

Let's make it a great and frugal 2011! Whoo Hoo!

Beaglelover
Old 12-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #128
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfAlexis View Post
Oops -- sorry about not getting the name right, jeaniebean55
It's all good!

Old 12-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #129
Forum Fanatic

I'm kinda not kidding about finding a 12-step program or support (for real) group. We are master rationalizers, aren't we? And so compassionate when it comes to giving someone a hug when they've messed up.

What do they say? Goals are dreams with a deadline. Make it real. Make it accountable. Don't be too unrealistic, but not too forgiving either. I'm tellin ya ... find a group! lol!

Old 12-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #130
Inking Addict

A Little Birdie Told Me I'll join!

I have been thinking about this for a long time. I was watching the show hoarders the other day and thought except for the filth I think I'm ending up there. I have decided to stop buying in 2011. This includes stamps, paper, yarn, fabric, beads..... I love working with all these things and will begin to purchase again when the stash is completely gone. That should take about 3 to 4 years. That's and exaggeration but you get the idea. I wish everyone else luck with this endeavor and hope I can stick to it!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 05:17 PM   #131
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewflake View Post
I had started 2010 off on a spending freeze, then I went to a diet but by the end of the year I was in an all out shopping frenzy. For 2011 I think I will I will start out on a diet....
I have more than enough paper and ribbons. I have things I can use to make my own embellishments but it requires more creativity by me. I need to reorganize my stamps so I have available my stamps for "kid" cards.

You know, I can not think of one thing that I need to buy for card making or scrapbooking. So It sounds like I will be on a spending freeze for awhile, I will be back for help when I get to the all out shopping frenzy!!
I to took off a few months the beginning of the year and didn't miss buying. Then I started in a again and spent way to much. I do have a big gift cert. to spend but I think I'll hold off for a while since I really have enough after 15 years of stamping. I don't think I'll unsub from blogs (even though I tend to find stuff I want when they advertise new releases). I'll go through my ginormous collection of rubber and find something similar.

Good luck everyone. I'll cut back...I'd love to find a less stressful job or something I like a lot better even if it meant a paycut. Right now I will spend if I want...although we did just order a new pickup and I'd like to get a Subaru since our winters are sucking...14.5 inches of snow on the way.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #132
Stazon Splitcoast

I joined the Stamp 2 Spend challenge where you use up your stash and pay yourself (in my case I am banking the dollars) for things you complete. Just thought I would pass along to those who might be interested.

I am a life artist and love it!
Old 12-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #133
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiesgal View Post
I joined the Stamp 2 Spend challenge where you use up your stash and pay yourself (in my case I am banking the dollars) for things you complete. Just thought I would pass along to those who might be interested.
Where is the link for stamp 2 spend? Or can u just fill me in?
Old 12-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #134
Rubber Obsessor

I had a big reality check when I read the book, It's All Too Much by Peter Walsh, a big tv show guy on organizing and de-cluttering. He said that many people underestimated greatly the amount of free time they had to spend on hobbies/crafts, over spent greatly, ended up with clutter.

When they did clean up and stop spending, they found their creativity increased dramatically. I found that to be true for me. (Oh, and a lot of people lost weight when they cleaned up and out. Who knew?)

Staying on top of my supplies has helped me to be a lot more focused in what I actually buy and stick to a budget.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #135
Kookie Creator

You guys are all making me feel guilty that I am planning on a substantial SAB order. I will join you, though, except for that order. I need to use things. I always hate to use the last of something. That is the real problem for me. I think my goal needs to be to not spend and USE UP things. I need to keep subscribing to this blog for incentive to stay focused on not spending.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #136
Die Cut Diva

Well, I just over-came the first temptation
I got an email from one of my favorite place to shop. They had great after Christmas discounts. In no time I had 3 things in my cart when I stopped and thought about my goal to cut back. I removed all of the stuff from my cart and left the site.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #137
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalah View Post
Great topic idea! I'm still pretty new to this hobby, so I feel like I must buy one of everything to try out all the techniques and have fun, and just build up my supply storage, but the downside is of course the spending and how to store it all.

I've seen stamp clubs mentioned a couple times here. I've been considering joining a CTMH club starting in January (10 months with 10 members = $15 a month, or if only 8 sign up, $19/mo).

What do people think of these company stamp/product clubs? Do they help you budget your supplies so you don't go overboard with huge purchases (buying $20 a month is easier on your budget perhaps than $150 on new release day), or do you find yourselves ordering unnecessary things just to meet the minimum and could use the money elsewhere?

I am mainly a CTMH buyer. I've bought stuff in dollar stores, some paper stacks by other companies and goodie boxes from WM. I find that most of that stuff goes unused. I like my CTMH because the quality is great and it all matches. I probably have about 1/2 of their stamp pads and mixed packs of all of the cardstock and a large assortment of their Level 2 Paper Packs. I don't know if I'll ever buy all the ink colours, but I do like to have all the cardstock. I make more cards than scrapbook pages and hate to cut up a whole sheet for a tiny piece to make a card, so I don't use the B&T paper much (I tend to make my own with stamps and cardstock for cards). I found with the other brand stuff, I didn't have ink or cardstock to match or didn't like half the papers. Keeping within a brand solves all the matching issues so I spend less time picking out paper and waste less money on stuff I won't use. I still buy cheap bling at the dollar store, especially clear coloured that doesn't need to match. I wasted a lot of money before I realized that sticking to CTMH is what works for me.

Now that I have a solid core of product, I am planning on cutting back my spending too. I don't think I purchased anything in either Nov or Dec. Too bad the money I saved there I blew on movies and computer games, lol! I won't feel bad about that though as those areas were severely restricted while all my money went to fund my stash. I just have to go back to modest spending in all areas now. It will be nice to be able to buy a book or movie or game on occasion and not feel guilty about it.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #138
Glitter Queen

Boy, could I relate to all of this! I lost my job at a local stamp company because they sold the company and moved so now my "play money" is gone. My room is a mess too, but it's largely because I save every scrap! I do have ways of using the scraps but I could never use them all! That makes me think that it might be fun to swap "scraps" with others. New papers to use would make it kind of fun. Come to think of it . . . swapping used stamps might be fun too. Any ideas here? I will try to slow down my purchases, but I know I'll never be able to completely quit. Good luck to all though.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:09 AM   #139
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbooknut1 View Post
Where is the link for stamp 2 spend? Or can u just fill me in?
Here you go.

Stamp 2 Spend Challenge 2011

I am a life artist and love it!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:13 AM   #140
Crimping Master

I'm pretty careful with my purchases so I don't think I need to consider it an addiction.

Am I in denial?

LOL

p.s. has anyone ever considered something akin to Stamp to Spend, but instead made it "exercise to spend"? I was wondering if that would entice me to get to the gym more frequently. Maybe I could allot myself points when I get in the necessary activity and accumulate points that would allow me to buy another stamp set or something?? Just thinking...
Old 12-30-2010, 03:29 AM   #141
Insane Embellisher

Hi All,

I had no idea that when I started this thread just a few days ago it would grow so quickly! It makes me feel that I am definitely NOT alone out here in my struggle to curb the needless craft spending. I really appreciate all the tips, suggestions, and perspectives that have been offered here. I do think limiting where I spend my time while on the computer is probably key, at least in my case. I have removed some bookmarks to sites I frequented where I had shopped. It's over an hour travel time to the actual craft stores from where I live, so the difficulty for me and my overspending is, the COMPUTER!

To this end, I find that I am probably going to have to limit my time on the computer, at least until this gets a little easier for me.

A day at a time right? I pledge that today I will NOT spend time on computer sites where I would be tempted to spend money on craft stuff I don't need! I'm okay on SCS if I stay off of the Announcement Thread and don't click on the SCS Member Company sites.
This sounds so basic and maybe silly to some, but --- for me--- this is what it boils down to.

I want to come to a healthy place with this and be able to enjoy this hobby that has given me such incredible joy.

Thanks to all that care,
Bonnie
Old 12-30-2010, 04:11 AM   #142
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: scrappin and cat napping in the thumb of Minglerville
Default exercise to spend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie in Indy View Post
I'm pretty careful with my purchases so I don't think I need to consider it an addiction.

Am I in denial?

LOL

p.s. has anyone ever considered something akin to Stamp to Spend, but instead made it "exercise to spend"? I was wondering if that would entice me to get to the gym more frequently. Maybe I could allot myself points when I get in the necessary activity and accumulate points that would allow me to buy another stamp set or something?? Just thinking...
My husband tried to get me to do that several years ago. He would give me so much money for exercising and then certain money for pounds lost.
I couldn't get with it then but maybe now.
I have such big plans for 2011 and energy is high. Lets all keep it up.
Have a safe and Happy New Year Everyone =^..^=
Old 12-30-2010, 04:28 AM   #143
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseyr61 View Post
My husband tried to get me to do that several years ago. He would give me so much money for exercising and then certain money for pounds lost.
I couldn't get with it then but maybe now.
I have such big plans for 2011 and energy is high. Lets all keep it up.
Have a safe and Happy New Year Everyone =^..^=
Once I reach a better place, this might be a great idea for me! I really NEED to exercise and lose some weight too. I did extremely well on weight loss for the first 4 months of 2010. Then, I went to Hawaii, and when I came back, I was NOT diligent at all. So, yikes, another area that I need to work on!
Old 12-30-2010, 04:47 AM   #144
Glitter Queen

Money Saver GREAT IDEA TO STOP BUYING

Oh my gosh, I didn't realize there were so many girls out there just like me. When I retired seven years ago I didn't have one hobby to speak of...my friend introduced me to stamping and making cards. Little did she know she created a monster..I went crazy with buying. I now look at my stamp room and don't know where to turn...I like things really neat and tidy and this is just driving me crazy. I thought about investing in expensive wood craft storage dressers that you can close and not see behind but after reading all of your wonderful comments I think just not buying every new item out there is the answer. I have so many stamp sets that I have never used. Even my husband commented that maybe just buying Hallmark would be a great savings. Another thing I do is surf the card blogs..if I would spend that much time making cards that would be a step in the right direction. I just own the cuttlebug and have no interest in all these other machines, which is a plus. I actually like my cards using the embossed folders vs paper. I have cleaned out many drawers and those supplies will go in the garage sale this spring. I also love clothes shopping so that's another habit I need to break. Just how many outfits do you need when you are retired and spend many days in jeans and a t-shirt. So I'm joining all of you in really trying to limit spending and impulse buying in 2011.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:50 AM   #145
Gallery Gazer

I must have spent over $10,000 since I started card making about 3 years ago and that's probably a very low guess. I know shopping for me is an attempt to fill a lonely place inside me...which doesn't work, of course. Now my clutter just makes me feel anxious and guilty and my DH shake his head. My soul justification is that I do make lots of cards to donate to From Our Hearts and I go to a bunch of gatherings where I participate in swaps and shoebox projects. I certainly can make cards for those with what I have on hand.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:06 AM   #146
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlenevita View Post
I know shopping for me is an attempt to fill a lonely place inside me...which doesn't work, of course.
YES!! This is me as well! My daughter and grandson currently reside out of this country and will for another 2 years. They are my only immediate family and the pain of not being able to be with them is excruciating at times. My craft spending has been an attempt to deal with this terrible sadness, which as only created more problems!

Sometimes, I know I am my own worst enemy! I need to learn to be kind to myself and treat myself with the love and care I show others.

Why is this so hard?
Old 12-30-2010, 05:06 AM   #147
Gabfest Goddess

Snce reading this thread I've been unsubscribing to ALL my online shopping emails. I'm hoping that will help lessen the temptation.

We've decided that we have to quit smoking on 1/1 and I've decided that the $35-$50 per week will go into a savings for craft room furniture and a stamping retreat.

I've also decded to do another purgre of my craft room. I did one last year but I kept somethings that I still haven't used and a few things that didn't sell last year. I remember how good it felt last year when I did the purge so I'm looking forward to doing it again. The hard part is not filling it up again!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:40 AM   #148
kraf*T*y mama

Send a message via AIM to shastess Send a message via Yahoo to shastess

I thought I posted in this thread but I don't see it Are there two? Anyways - I am going on a freeze Jan 1! I can easily create probably for years with only buying adhesive! I have done different types over the years

stamp to spend
create x number before spending
use every new product and stamp before buying anything new

but really need to go on an all out freeze for a while! craft supplies, clothes, all non necessities

Mama to Kaden, Blake, and Ava

Origami Owl Independent Designer
Old 12-30-2010, 06:37 AM   #149
Matboard Maniac

Yes ,I'm with you on this one. I don't want to buy any more I just want to start using what I have. So I'm resigning myself to buying adhesive only in 2011......
Old 12-30-2010, 06:45 AM   #150
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by careylhx View Post
Along with many of you, I have a virtual store that is called my stamping center. Two years ago I decided that I wanted to have fun stamping WITHOUT having to purchase anything (minimum spend stamp clubs), so I organized a small club that meets once a month where there is no buying, but rather fun stamping. We each sign up for a month as "hostess" at our home. The hostess prepares three projects for everyone to stamp, provides the materials, an easy snack and WINE! Last year we added a new element, the "challenge." At the end of the night everyone gets 3 or 4 of the same elements (paper, embellishments, etc.) to take home. At the next month's meeting everyone shows their Challenge. We have really enjoyed seeing how each individual's artistic expression comes out. I've recorded our Challenges by taking pictures each month and keeping them in a three ring binder. This club is a fun and easy way to make use of all those stamping purchases without having to purchase more!
This is such a great idea!!! Oh how I wish there was a group like this in my area. All the groups here are either CTMH or SU clubs where you are required to make a minimum purchase. Would love to have a group just to stamp and enjoy each others company.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Old 12-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #151
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: scrappin and cat napping in the thumb of Minglerville
Default stamping groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyK. View Post
This is such a great idea!!! Oh how I wish there was a group like this in my area. All the groups here are either CTMH or SU clubs where you are required to make a minimum purchase. Would love to have a group just to stamp and enjoy each others company.
A group of friends and I get together once a month and we swap ATC cards, we alternate who picks the theme. And then my stampin up dealer does a stamp camp and we make cards once a month. Plus one of my friends jsut became a stampin up dealer and maybe i'll get lucky and she will do a get together.

We use to get together once a month to learn a new technique but we've all been so busy we just started doing the ATC swap.
I like to get together just to meet and use each others tools/stamps/punches etc. I make cards more than scrapbook these days and enjoy borrowing and stamping images for future cards.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #152
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to darloudasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margscardcrazy View Post
He confiscated all the goodies and then told our adult children that he had all my presents for Christmas and to come see him to negotiate.

LMAO!! That's a hoot and a hollar!!
Old 12-30-2010, 08:26 AM   #153
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Rescuing one dog may not change the world, but for that one dog, the world will be changed forever

Good Grief Charlie Brown........................If I say I'll join it means I admit I have a problem..
Can't say that out loud...
ha ha
So I will say this, after my GC to my LSS is gone, I too will "shop" from my own way too far gone over stocked craft room!

Good luck ladies!!

Last edited by emsmomthestamper; 12-30-2010 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #154
Glitter Queen

Well it has been 24 hours since I joined Bonnie's challenge. I have deleted all the E-Mails about year end sales, all coupons went into the trash and I am making some cards as a gift from some "old, retired" product. It is not just one day at a time but one temptation at a time.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #155
Die Cut Diva

I see a common theme throughout this thread.
Many people are upset and feel guilty they have bought so much stuff but it is only for a couple of reasons.

Some are lonely and use buying as cushion to ease this loneliness. Buying things will never fill the gap of human contact. Maybe a solution would be to contact your local library and ask if you can use their room to gather other women who would like to stamp and have someone to talk with. If you get a few woman interested you can then move the stamping group to rotating houses. It would be a great way to share a wonderful hobby and of course conversation and treats.

Some people are frustrated that they have so much stuff and so little time to use it.. Be realistic!! If you work full time or have small children how much leisure time do you really have? How many cards can you realistically make in a year? Make sure you have supplies and stamps only for the amount of cards you CAN make in a year without letting yourself get crazy.
The idea of unsubscribing to many of the sites that tempt you with discounts will certainly help.

However, vowing to only buying adhesives for a year is like expecting to stay on a diet of crackers and water. It aint going to work!!

I think a better idea is to set "realistic goals" of what you can do and only buy things that fit those goals. Or find people to share stamping with to ease the loneliness so buying isn't used as a substitute for human contact.
Sort through your stuff and keep what fits your "new realistic goals" and put the rest in a garage sale.

Don't beat yourself up because you can't get anything near what you paid for this stuff. You can't get anything near what you paid for household items either. You are selling this stuff because although it filled a need in your life in the past now you have a new more realistic direction for your life.

Just my 2 worth
Barbara Jay
Old 12-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #156
Stazon Splitcoast

Default ENVELOPES

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarstamper@comca View Post
I am turning some of it into envelopes. Whenever you buy pads of paper, there are always some that you aren't going to use, so why not make envelopes out of it. You can put the white side out, and have a pretty inside when the card is opened.
I haven't made my envelopes yet, but I do take the paper, cut a rectangle into the size of the OPEN envelope, trace the "flap", cut it a little bit smaller and then put the paper into the envelope, adhese it down and crease at the fold. That way it appears that the envelope if fully lined (cause it is at the flap) but it's not all the way down the inside. If you wanted you could cut it a bit longer and flip the cut side, cut the "valley" further in and paste it to the inside on the non-flap side to line it at well
Old 12-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #157
Stazon Splitcoast

Default ORGANIZATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarstamper@comca View Post
If anyone figures out how to organize and keep a neat craft room (without spending money to do it) let me know. Mine always looks like there was an explosion!!!
I think the key to keeping the room organized is TO PUT THINGS BACK.

Even if you are only storing things in card board boxes (like a toybox approach) as long as you put it back in the same box it will at least be sorted out, you know? You don't have to have fancy keepers. And believe me, this is not coming from someone super organized!! LOL! Ironically my craft room is a disaster (as is my house) yet at work I'm the organizing queen. I know HOW to organize, I just don't do it!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #158
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiesgal View Post
Me too!! Here's the link if you want to join.

Stamp 2 Spend Challenge 2011 Post # 1239 is very helpful
Old 12-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #159
Inking Addict

I think Barbara Jay has hit the nail on the head. She has some very good points about the reasons we all feel guilty about our purchases. I hate to admit it, like I'm sure many others are as well, but there have been times when I have purchased supplies to fill a void. A couple of months ago, I came to this realization and made a conscious decision to limit my purchases. I would love to join everyone else in saying I will only purchase adhesive, but that really is unrealistic for me. In a year's time, there will always be a project come up that I do need to purchase supplies for. For example, I have two neices who are pregnant and for one of them, I am in charge of the Baby Shower favours. Well, as I don't have children, my supplies all centre around adult projects, so I will need to purchase a few things for babies, such as designer paper and a stamp set or two.

So, to make a long story short, here is my committment for the year...I vow to not make any unnesseccary purchases for the 2011 year. I will sign up for classes when I can, to help eliminate the need for human contact. I will get in touch with my friends who craft and make crafting dates with them. I may also try the monthly craft group that was mentioned a few posts ago.

So there it is. My confession and my committment to do something about it in 2011.

May everyone have a wonderfully creative year and accomplish all of their crafting goals for 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
I see a common theme throughout this thread.
Many people are upset and feel guilty they have bought so much stuff but it is only for a couple of reasons.

Some are lonely and use buying as cushion to ease this loneliness. Buying things will never fill the gap of human contact. Maybe a solution would be to contact your local library and ask if you can use their room to gather other women who would like to stamp and have someone to talk with. If you get a few woman interested you can then move the stamping group to rotating houses. It would be a great way to share a wonderful hobby and of course conversation and treats.

Some people are frustrated that they have so much stuff and so little time to use it.. Be realistic!! If you work full time or have small children how much leisure time do you really have? How many cards can you realistically make in a year? Make sure you have supplies and stamps only for the amount of cards you CAN make in a year without letting yourself get crazy.
The idea of unsubscribing to many of the sites that tempt you with discounts will certainly help.

However, vowing to only buying adhesives for a year is like expecting to stay on a diet of crackers and water. It aint going to work!!

I think a better idea is to set "realistic goals" of what you can do and only buy things that fit those goals. Or find people to share stamping with to ease the loneliness so buying isn't used as a substitute for human contact.
Sort through your stuff and keep what fits your "new realistic goals" and put the rest in a garage sale.

Don't beat yourself up because you can't get anything near what you paid for this stuff. You can't get anything near what you paid for household items either. You are selling this stuff because although it filled a need in your life in the past now you have a new more realistic direction for your life.

Just my 2 worth
Barbara Jay
Old 12-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #160
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
Well, I just over-came the first temptation
I got an email from one of my favorite place to shop. They had great after Christmas discounts. In no time I had 3 things in my cart when I stopped and thought about my goal to cut back. I removed all of the stuff from my cart and left the site.
WOOHOO!!! HAZZAH!!! Great work!!