Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I guess I am a fuddy Duddy

I just dont understand what the big deal about being a guest designer with all these stamp companies? I want to just stamp, create and have fun. I think If i became a dt person then I would have to do it and where is the fun in that? Am I missing something? dont flame me, I just dont get it is all.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I think it would be an honor to be chosen for someone's DT, but it could also mean stamping with stamps they choose, not your own favorites. Could be a time crunch depending on your schedule. I know times like now I am free a lot, but when I start up on a contract, I get really busy.

Holley
http://holleybarnhartsblog.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 10:14 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Just stamp and play and have fun and exchange ideas.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappingmelissaView Post
I just dont understand what the big deal about being a guest designer with all these stamp companies? I want to just stamp, create and have fun. I think If i became a dt person then I would have to do it and where is the fun in that? Am I missing something? dont flame me, I just dont get it is all.
The reasons folks have for wanting to be guest designers or serve on DTs are as varied and wide-ranging as the individuals themselves.

It sounds to me that you enjoy doing exactly what you are doing, which is awesome! And, that's not only a big deal, it's the best deal! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 12:49 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The pros: free stamps, discounts on products, validation that your work might make someone else want to buy something, being on a DT probably helps some folks up their game, so to speak.

The cons: you have taken a hobby and made it a job, with deadlines, assignments, and you may be using products that aren't your first choice. Plus, if your pay is free stamps, you still have to purchase other products to use with the stamps (but you might be doing that anyway...) Got to pay taxes on that free stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 03:38 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I have been on one design team, and yes there are things expcted of you, so it can be like a job.
However, I was so thrilled and flattered to be chosen! Its one thing for you to love your art, but for others to appreciate it, I find exciting!
Maybe I'm a bit self absorbed.
Karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 04:02 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Most of the designers who submit to be on a design team or to be a guest designer already love that company's products so they are using them anyway. For those designers, it may not seem like as much of a job but rather an opportunity to get some recognition for doing something they have already been doing anyway.

I agree with Julie 100%. It sounds like you are totally enjoying your hobby and you are exactly where you want to be.

It reminds me of an old story about a guy sitting out on his fishing boat and a business man comes up to him and says, "Why are you sitting out here on this boat?? You're young and healthy. You should be working hard to build for your future!!! You could be making lots of money and putting it away so that someday, you won't have to work very hard at all and you can spend your days relaxing."

The guy in the boat said, "What do you think I'm doing now?"

If you are where you want to be, that's a good thing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 05:54 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I was a GD in Feb for All That Scraps. I don't apply for hardly any design teams because, well, I don't LOVE LOVE too many companies. If I want to design, I want to do it for a company I absolutely adore. Since I use their stamps all the time, it doesn't quite take all the fun out of it for me
I also do better when I have some restrictions on me and am forced to stamp because sometimes, I find myself with too much stuff and no where to start
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 06:03 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow all great answers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 06:20 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't work well under pressure!! Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 06:25 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 206 Likes on 185 Posts

Well, I am a newbie to all of this. I was just recently asked by Betsy from ISC to be a guest designer. Boy, I have to say, was I ever shocked!!!! I can honestly say that it never ever crossed my mind. I was a bit hesitant and apprehensive about saying ok but then after thinking about it awhile I accepted thinking it would be good to challenge myself and see if I could expand my horizons...[so to speak]. I was not familiar with the company and had never purchased from them so it was all so new to me. I did have to find a bit of extra time to stamp....awwwhh real hardship eh?? but I have to say it went well. I was happy to see what my brain could come up with! lol Everything was out of my comfort zone...I had never done many of the projects required and I just don't normally colour either so there you go....I see it as a learning experience and I still have time to stamp with my favourite products. I guess it depends on what is required and how flexible it all works, time wise and who you are working for......Betsy's been awesome.
Just my thoughts.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 06:29 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see why people do persue the GD route; a bit of fame, new toys/materials to play with.

But I know myself too well. As soon as something I love to do becomes something I HAVE to do, the joy goes out of it and I lose interest. So no way will I jeoprodize my hobby!

I have learned that the hard way through the years. Which is why I'm not a SU demo. I know myself and that the pressure and deadlines to get things ready for a workshop, would dampen my enthusiasm. But I'm glad we are all different!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #13  

Received 206 Likes on 185 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
I have learned that the hard way through the years. Which is why I'm not a SU demo. I know myself and that the pressure and deadlines to get things ready for a workshop, would dampen my enthusiasm. But I'm glad we are all different!
I think cardmaker 2 said it perfectly....glad we are all different....it keeps the world interesting and inspiring for sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 06:54 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by k dunbrookView Post
Well, I am a newbie to all of this. I was just recently asked by Betsy from ISC to be a guest designer. Boy, I have to say, was I ever shocked!!!! I can honestly say that it never ever crossed my mind. I was a bit hesitant and apprehensive about saying ok but then after thinking about it awhile I accepted thinking it would be good to challenge myself and see if I could expand my horizons...[so to speak]. I was not familiar with the company and had never purchased from them so it was all so new to me. I did have to find a bit of extra time to stamp....awwwhh real hardship eh?? but I have to say it went well. I was happy to see what my brain could come up with! lol Everything was out of my comfort zone...I had never done many of the projects required and I just don't normally colour either so there you go....I see it as a learning experience and I still have time to stamp with my favourite products. I guess it depends on what is required and how flexible it all works, time wise and who you are working for......Betsy's been awesome.
Just my thoughts.....
Karen, your work is fantastic! I just checked out your blog and I can so see why Betsy approached you! I love your layered flowers. Way to go!

And that brings up another point. If someone were to approach me is a different matter than me applying all over and maybe not being successful. I don't know what my response would be then. As long as I didn't feel pressured, maybe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 07:19 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
The reasons folks have for wanting to be guest designers or serve on DTs are as varied and wide-ranging as the individuals themselves.

It sounds to me that you enjoy doing exactly what you are doing, which is awesome! And, that's not only a big deal, it's the best deal! ;)
What she said I can only tell you my take on it...

I was invited to do a GD slot with Crafty Secrets back in May last year (as a result of winning one of their competitions, I suspect). It was great fun and I had a blast. I applied for my current DT slot with CHF because I loved the company and the stamps and I guess doing the guest slot elsewhere gave me a taste of what it might be like (although no two companies will ever be exactly the same in what they ask their DT to do).

Everybody's idea of fun is different. I like to be part of a team, especially one where everybody is very free with ideas and encouragement for each other which is a DT benefit that doesn't often get mentioned. None of my real life friends share my interest in stamping and there are no clubs or classes nearby where I might hook up with those people. Forums like this are great but sometimes it's nice to have a smaller group focus, IYSWIM and the DT is perfect for that.

Hope you keep having fun with the rubber and ink - you're right, that's what it's all about!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 07:51 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Default More on design teams and blogging

You have made me curious about DTs, not because I want to be on one, or be a guest designer. But I have never checked out the forum dedicated to design team searches.

So I did, for fun, and because I don't want to go do anything else, like dusting or laundry, and I found that many of them require or expect you to have a blog that they can showcase their stamps on.

Fair enough, that's the way it is now. But that would just add pressure to my life! I don't have, nor intend to have a blog. And if I did, I would have to spend more of my life on the computer and have the added pressure of that whole aspect of my creating.

Scrappingmelissa, you and I both... let's just have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 08:44 AM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Just as with various challenges, it sparks creativity for some and stifles it for others. It's sometimes fun to have certain restrictions or requirements to get you thinking and trying something new.

The free product is wonderful. The recognition is certainly nice, too. I mean, that's why we have galleries, right?

I've been flattered to work with some great companies, and I've declined some offers because it was bad timing or just not the right fit for my style. For me personally, it's not worth it unless I was going to buy their images anyway. I won't spend time using products that I don't love.

There is one company that doesn't have a DT, but they let me pick whatever I want and they send it to me. There are no deadlines or requirements, I just use what I want at my leisure. THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! I'll take a few more of those arrangements, please! lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

I debated a lot about being on a DT for just the reason the OP stated. I liked participating in the challenges, but only when the inspiration hit me. No obligation. But when one of the challenge blogs offered a DT spot to me, I decided to take them up on it. Most weeks I struggle with the challenges because they aren't my style and it's no longer a "want to" but a "have to" to participate. And it has got to the point where I almost resent having to make these projects because it means time I'm not spending making something I want to. I'm so glad that this week is my last week of my 6 month term being on that DT. And I don't have plans to join another one anytime soon.

Now this is not to say that DTs are not good. I know someone who is on three of them and really enjoys the notariety and free goodies she gets. I just found that it wasn't for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 10:38 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
The pros: free stamps, discounts on products, validation that your work might make someone else want to buy something, being on a DT probably helps some folks up their game, so to speak.

The cons: you have taken a hobby and made it a job, with deadlines, assignments, and you may be using products that aren't your first choice. Plus, if your pay is free stamps, you still have to purchase other products to use with the stamps (but you might be doing that anyway...) Got to pay taxes on that free stuff!

This, sums it up for me!
I was on a couple last year and LOVED both companies and their product...and it was tons of fun to get free goodies, see your cards featured, getting to know other DT members, etc.
But, at the end of the day, I am not good with deadlines. It stifles me a little.
So, now I stamp what I want when I want. I sure do love seeing all the DT work, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

It doesn't interest me in the least. But, for those that have the desire, it must feel great to be chosen to represent someone else's products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mungojerryView Post
It doesn't interest me in the least. But, for those that have the desire, it must feel great to be chosen to represent someone else's products.
AMEN, Sista!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

The companies also give out free products to their DT members and sometimes give them a price break on any products they want to buy as well. That's a big incentive depending on the company. Lol, feel like I should buy stock in some of these companies given how many stamps I have

Holley
http://holleybarnhartsblog.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I second what everyone else said, "freebies, discounts, validation, recognition, etc". I've always been an overachiever and it tends to extend into everything I do, so why not stamping? I love the challenge and recognition the most!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

However, I also find that it gets frustrating when you can't use one company's product with another or when you find yourself purchasing items just for a DT project and not for fun or because you love the stuff. In a way, being on a DT, definitely enables you ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I design for All That Scraps because I LOOOOOOOOVE the stamps! There are a couple of other stamp companies that I love as well and if asked, I'd consider it. I don't feel like it is a job or that I'm being burdened by it. If I did, I wouldn't do it anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

After reading all the replies, I think i could never do it. I love creating, learning and meeting everyone, but If I had to do it , I wouldnt. Even though I get freebies and what not (hmmmm am I nuts or what? LOL) Maybe for digital? I think I would do it for victoria case but then I wouldnt love her stuff anymore lol. And the circle goes round and round!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

I agree with you 100 Percent, I have been a guest designer, and tho the folks were wonderful, I was under pressure to do certain things at certain times, I did not have fun because I was stressing, I said once it was over I would never do it again. And I haven't. I like to do what I feel like doing when I feel like doing it .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

I think if you want to be on a Design Team, because some people really do - - I certainly did when I first got in to cardmaking - - don't apply to every DT just because there's a call. Really do some research on the company...who the designers are, what kind of style they have, what their requirements are, are you already using and loving their products? That's the big thing is LOVING and USING the products for the company you are designing for. Because if you are, you are already making cards all the time with their stuff, so then it's really not so much of a job. I have a full-time job, I have little kids, I don't have time for more jobs or pressure, so I had to be sure that the companies I was working with, I loved their products, used their products, would have the schedule and the freedom that worked for me.
If it's an aspiration, don't write it off - there's a good fit for everyone out there ;)

But if you don't want to - for whatever reason - just enjoy your craft. It's really nice to sit down sometimes and just play...doesn't matter what the card is for...what product I use....or how good it is - LOL

Last edited by mearsfansinboise; 07-26-2009 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

After reading all the replies, I think i could never do it. I love creating, learning and meeting everyone, but If I had to do it , I wouldnt. Even though I get freebies and what not (hmmmm am I nuts or what? LOL) Maybe for digital? I think I would do it for victoria case but then I wouldnt love her stuff anymore lol. And the circle goes round and round!
hehe...you must feel like the DT positions like I feel about mass-producing. I'D RATHER BE BOILED IN OIL than mass produce a card. LOL!!! Just the thought of it makes me roll my eyes and wrinkle up my nose. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsjlloveView Post
hehe...you must feel like the DT positions like I feel about mass-producing. I'D RATHER BE BOILED IN OIL than mass produce a card. LOL!!! Just the thought of it makes me roll my eyes and wrinkle up my nose. :mrgreen:
When I first started cardmaking, I mass produced everything. I figured if I was taking the time to make card, I might as well make 4 of them. Then I watched the mountain of cards pile up....then I got tired of making the same card over and over....and then I thought how less-unique the card would be if it was not an original..... - - and now I'm with you - no more mass-producing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsjlloveView Post
hehe...you must feel like the DT positions like I feel about mass-producing. I'D RATHER BE BILED IN OIL than mass produce a card. LOL!!!
Hear hear! I'm always amazed by the girls who make wedding stationery as a business. How can they bear to make 120 of the same thing for invitations? *shudder* I guess it's like the DT/no DT thing though - a blessing that we are all different!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
Hear hear! I'm always amazed by the girls who make wedding stationery as a business. How can they bear to make 120 of the same thing for invitations? *shudder* I guess it's like the DT/no DT thing though - a blessing that we are all different!
I think for some folks it's rather like when I'm packing kits to go teach a class; after doing the creative design work behind the class projects themselves, and doing all the math calculations for cutting all the paper involved (which makes my brain hurt!), packing the kits is then kind of a mindless/monotonous task that can actually be quite relaxing!

LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #33  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'd be so flattered if I were good enough to be chosen! I don't believe extras, freebies, and discounts would hurt my feelings either. :twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Interesting reading here... I see all the sides of what everyone has said, and concur all around - good thing we're all different, and great whether you do or don't want to be on a DT! I was on one for a while, and was also a guest designer for a month with another company, and enjoyed both experiences but was glad/relieved when they were over! There are so many demands on us all from so many sources that we have to pick and choose and prioritize, so that's where the differences lie in the want to/don't want to, I'm thinking... Also, it's COMPLETELY valid to be concerned that a fulfilling hobby would become a chore to some. I tried to structure my blog so each day of the week I did a specific thing (technique, inspiration, quick and easy, etc.), and that lasted about two weeks before I decided it was killing my mojo completely and went back to the random approach I've always preferred. Even just feeling like I 'have to' blog is too much sometimes! Good on us all for following our own path, and doing what brings us joy, regardless of how it looks to anyone else!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #35  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an interesting read. And I agree that everyone needs to do what fits their particular life and interest.

DT assignments can make you stretch and grow and try new things (some you may come to love). Sometimes if I don't have boundries, I feel like I get lost in all the possibilities. The limits of a particular assignment can help me focus.

But assignments and deadlines can also be a source of stress and feel like a burden if you don't have the time and energy for them.

One suggestion if you are contemplating a DT but are not sure, maybe try commiting yourself to doing a certain weekly challenge or two and blogging them for a month or so. See how it feels. Are you enjoying it or does it feel more like a burden. - Just suggestion to test things before you put effort into trying to get on a DT.

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

Do what you love and go where it takes you!! Not everyone has the same desires and purposes of their motivation, so we don't all head the same direction, but I think we are all having fun along the way!!!That's really what it's all about---oh, yeah, and the hokey pokey!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

how do you become a dt member? How do you know who to contact??? This is all new to me. As it is, I just started a blog finally...lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2009, 01:41 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by charms1976View Post
how do you become a dt member? How do you know who to contact??? This is all new to me. As it is, I just started a blog finally...lol
Most places put out a DT call when they have places to fill. There's a section of the forum right here at SCS where companies can post if they're looking to recruit (Design Team Searches & Announcements, third item down under "Stamping Stuff"). Different companies will have different requirements for their try out, just as they'll have different requirements of their team if you get picked. Some places require that you have a blog and you make a certain number of postings, or that you post to galleries like SCS. Others will think it's a nice "extra" if you do that but won't make it an obligation. Just check out the description in their DT call and then you can decide whether it's the kind of deal you'd want to sign up to.

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #39  
Glitter Guru

I've enjoyed reading this thread. So much good thought and good input!

I especially agree with the fact that we are all different and have different desires and needs to enrich our stamping life...and life in general!

Cheers to all who have happily found their nitch in this great craft! and for those who are wanting and hoping for more...I hope it comes your way soon!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom0fgirlsView Post
This is an interesting read. And I agree that everyone needs to do what fits their particular life and interest.

DT assignments can make you stretch and grow and try new things (some you may come to love). Sometimes if I don't have boundries, I feel like I get lost in all the possibilities. The limits of a particular assignment can help me focus.

But assignments and deadlines can also be a source of stress and feel like a burden if you don't have the time and energy for them.

One suggestion if you are contemplating a DT but are not sure, maybe try commiting yourself to doing a certain weekly challenge or two and blogging them for a month or so. See how it feels. Are you enjoying it or does it feel more like a burden. - Just suggestion to test things before you put effort into trying to get on a DT.
Fabulous suggestion... I may try this one day. I suppose I'd have to have a blog first though, and that is not even something I'm ready to commit to yet.
Reply With Quote Likes