Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-08-2008, 05:40 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to 'revive' old stamps?

I bought some used stamps that are several years old. When I went to use them, the ink 'beaded' and didn't stamp properly.

Someone mentioned that I could 'rough them up' with an emery board or sandpaper - any further suggestions? Guidelines? I don't wan't to ruin them, but they're really not usable in this condition either :(

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 06:22 AM   #2  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottleoredView Post
...Someone mentioned that I could 'rough them up' with an emery board or sandpaper - any further suggestions?
i know a lot of stampers write about roughing up their stamps, but personally it just scares me! here's some info i found online:
When using acrylics you can try erasing the residue with a soft pink eraser.
  • The eraser will pick up some of the residue left behind. After you have gone over the stamp with your eraser then you can ink the stamp and stamp on a scrap paper several times, clean the stamp with an acrylic friendly solvent and then repeat the process until your get a clear, concise image.
  • A quality rubber stamp should not need a lot of conditioning. Rubber stamps can be conditioned in a similar way by simply inking the stamp and stamping it on scrap paper. If there is a residue on the stamp try a twisting motion as you are stamping the image on your scrap paper. Clean the stamp thoroughly and proceed to ink it again for your project. Some practice stamping and good cleaning should do the trick.
pat huntoon {technique junkie author} wrote about conditioning stamps and offers two methods other than sanding. read about it here.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:27 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the rubber dry and/or brittle? I've had limited success pouring a little glycerin into a tray (just enough to line the bottom) and setting the stamps in there overnight. The glycerin can often recondition the rubber. It doesn't always work, but it's worth a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

cat thanks for the tips and the links. I think I'll try the eraser and the stamp/clean cycle

stamper1996 the stamps seem to be too smooth - not brittle. Almost like they've been used too much :confused: thanks for the tip about brittleness, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 05:03 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a really fine sandpaper I stole from DH's garage. I also use a White eraser and that works well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottleoredView Post
stamper1996 the stamps seem to be too smooth - not brittle. Almost like they've been used too much :confused: thanks for the tip about brittleness, though!
If I were you I would try the glycerin, or if you don't have that then just ink the stamps up with Versamark and leave them inked up overnight. When they get too smooth like this, in my experience it is due to the surface getting "brittle" in a really thin layer. I had some oold but well-cared-for stamps of mine get in the condition you are describing, and after I let them sit coated in Versamark and then a good scrub wih Ultraclean the next day, the rubber became pliable and took ink well again. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, ink up and stamp and twist! Then a good cleaning and all should stamp well.

You all have the best advice!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes