Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile How long have you been stamping?

This all began for me about 12 years ago.
I was invited to a Stampin Up workshop and I was hooked!!!

so how about you???

How long have YOU been involved in stamping????

Lori
:-D
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I've only been stamping for about 9 months now. By my collection you'd think it had been a couple of years though. Turns out I'm an addict and was sucked in fast! I've been scrapping for about 5 years though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

stamping for a year now. just started scrapping ;)
same as Laura, collecting to much stuff lol ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Less than 3 months. Seriously, started in January. Never was into it before unless you count date stamping bills and working as a bank teller back in the early 1970's before tellers had their own computers. I had a big round stamp I had to change the date in every day and banged it on all the paper receipts, etc. Rather fun.

When I was about 6 or 7 I found my dad's little name and address stamp and stamped it all over my cloth doll! He said it was his doll after that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I began about 6 yrs ago, also at my first SU party. It was fun, but I was totally lost, as I'd never done it before, and didn't know the first thing about it! I didn't even know what to make in my first purchase...6 yrs later, I have my own craft room, and you'd think I had been doing this for 20 yrs!! I'm hooked, and I have a great group of ladies whom I get together with to stamp, and have birthday parties with. (Our cards MUST be handstamped!!) Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

It's been about 15 yrs ago. I made my granddaughter's first birthday invitations, as simple as they were. A friend at work showed a few of us girls this new craft she had
learned, and it was stamping. Every payday for lunch, we'd drive to our lss and get new stamps and supplies. I think I'm the only one that kept up with it, tho. It's the one thing I love to do. And we didn't start with Stampin Up, so I have hundreds (did I say that?) of
mounted stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

About 4 years now - I went to a Close To My Heart party and it was all over! I had been scrapbooking for years but they introduced me to stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I stamped a little in college (stuff i bought from Michael's) and then nothing for years until I went to my first Stampin' Up! workshop 5 years ago. I've been hooked since and eventually took the plunge to be a demo 2.5 years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

i've been stamping about 5+ years now.

i used to make computer generated cards for years.

then one day i received a hand stamped invite for a 4th of july party. i almost cried when i saw all of her stamping supplies when we went to the party... i knew i had found what i was MEANT to do. i fell HARD for stamping.

i dabble in scrapbooking but cards are my passion! i am obsessed! for real!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

My mother introduced me to my addiction about 4 years ago. She started a couple years before that. Can you believe I used to look at her things and wonder what in the world she could want with all that stuff. ROFL!!!!!!!!
My stash looks like I've been at it for 40 years instead of 4. Amazing how much stuff you have and can never have enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

My son was one when a friend made a card for me and I was hooked! My son turns 17 on Monday so it is 16 years for me. Wow. I can't believe it has been that long. I have payed it forward at least 200 times and got that many hooked too.....

and as they say "The rest is history!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

About 2 years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Nine SU catalogs. Thats how I keep track.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

Started my collection way before I really got busy stamping. I've been stamping pretty regularly for about 9 years now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #15  
ch
Mad Swapper

My first 'rubber stamps' were ordered about 25 years ago. I went to an office supply store and had custom made stamps of my 5 childrens names. I used their 'name stamps' to decorate Christmas wrapping paper. Needless to say the stamping industry has come a long way. It has been fun to watch it grow.
I just received my 5 year demo pin from SU. Since becoming a SU demo I really haven't been tempted to stray. I've made it thru all the 'monthly releases' of so many other companies, cute stuff but no thanks. But in a weak moment in the wee hours of the morn I caved to the darling Anna Wright WhipperSnapper images! $125 later I hit the send button. So in a few days I will be playing with my first 'unmounted' stamps! I bought the clear blocks and all.
Anyway, I've been stamping 25 years!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

About 11 years. A co-worker introduced another co-worker and myself to it, and we were hooked. When we started out, we'd haul our stuff to work (which fit in one box), and after work take over the conference room for a few hours and swap supplies. I now have a craft room filled with (too much) stuff. I've lived in several different places since then and have always connected with other stampers in each place. I started scrapping 7 years ago but am definitely more of a stamper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

About 6 years now...Wow have I accumulated a lot....
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I stamped when teaching using "merits" as they were called in those days...the early 80's. I resigned from teaching in the late 90's but during all that time I stamped on childrens' books every single school day!

I have been stamping since the early/mid 90's for myself (it is a bit blurry the exact start time, but around there....I am counting back with children as benchmarks here!)...whenever it landed in Australia!.....just the stamp and emboss kind in those days. Since I live in the bush, I didn't realise things were advancing as they were! I was conned by the husband to take my daughter to Brisbane with me for some mother /daughter bonding (when I really wanted to escape from everyone and go to a stitches and craft show on my own!) She was maybe 8 or 9 at the time and she is 22 soon. We saw a demo and bought tonnes of stuff and shall we say that's history! (Daughter does not stamp...but mum sure knew she was a duck in a very large pond!)

I became really ill in 2000 and was trawling around the internet when I happened upon Yahoo Groups. Now that exploded my world. I began going to the shows dedicated to stamping and learned heaps in a short space of time.

Since I am in Australia, I began stamping with a myriad of companies to choose from but no Stampin Up. It has only been here for a couple for years.

I have seen styles come and go...and now come again...have experienced squillions of techniques (hosted a set of 6 tech books myself where no tech was to be repeated...that adds up to a lot of techs), attended heaps of shows and camps....made some lifetime friends from all over.

I wouldn't change this hobby for the world. It is far too interesting. Keeps me out of hubby's hair, as he puts it! I can see myself stamping until I croak it and then they better cremate me with some...it would be fitting to have some rubber with me! Not all of it though, as I know my mates will divvy up the stuff before hubby thinks about taking it to the dump! (He has instructions to call them so they can sort that part out!...or else he gets mega haunted!)

Cheers,
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Fun question! I have been stamping for a little over a year and half (2 yrs this summer) and scrapbooking for 9 years. :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
Fun question! I have been stamping for a little over a year and half (2 yrs this summer) and scrapbooking for 9 years. :grin:
Niki - your stamping looks like you've had years of practice - you are a natural! I'm still trying to perfect my stamping and I've been at it over 30 years!! (long before Stampin Up!) I don't even remember the name of the company I first bought stamps from, but it was a black and white catalog that was put together by hand - I would say photocopied pages that were stapled together!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 649 Likes on 368 Posts

I started stamping about 7 months ago. Had been scrapbooking for several months and had no desire to make a card. Didn't even know why people purchased rubber stamps. Passed the aisle of stamps at Hobby Lobby and would try to imagine why people bought them. Then, I made a card (without a stamp) one day and I was hooked. Then, my sister started buying rubber stamps and the two of us went to a watercolor class and the rest is history...
addicted!
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

stamping since 1992
scrappin' since 1998
SU demo since 2000
How time flies when you're having fun!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5 years ago this month. As someone else said, I fell hard! I have gathered a pretty decent collection, mostly from having some fantastic SU workshops and getting tons of hostess goodies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree, Mary Beth! I can't believe I've been doing this for 5 years now. At first I had to rely on stamping with a friend because I had hardly any supplies and I didn't know anything. Then one day I decided I wasn't going wait until she had time to stamp with me so I searched the internet and found SCS! I have learned so much here that my stamping has improved a lot. I look back on my earlier cards and remember how great I thought they were! Well, they were at the time because I was just starting out. I even joined a stamp club so I would *have* to spend $$ buying supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8 years. I had a friend show me the SU catty and I thought, "Wow! That's too expensive for me! I'm going to Hobby Lobby and only buying stuff on sale!" I now have an entire room full of stuff, including all of SU's cardstock and inks and about 100 SU sets. And about 30 PTI sets, and drawers full of Hero Arts and other misc stamps. And ink pads. And pp. And tools, embellies, a BIA, Scor-Pal, um, well, you get the picture.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

I have been stamping for about 10 yrs now. I still have the very first card I made somewhere...it was a stamped butterfly completed with Art Institute glitter. I made it at a demo at the Toronto Creative Festival (called Toronto Needlework Festival at the time) they had just started introducing crafts along with the needlework then. I was really into cross stitch, however, I came home with more rubber stamping supplies than I did cross stitch supplies and I have never looked back. Needlework has taken a back bench now. I have approx. 700 - 800 rubber stamps in my collection...do you think I am addicted???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

I been making things since I was little. Then my aunt introduced me to scrapbooking. I enjoy it at the time ;) lol But then she showed me cardmaking. I loved it. I've been hooked eva since.
Lauren xx

ETA: That was early last year
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Same as me Lori...was invited to a SU! party and was soooo hooked since then..it's been about 11 years for me now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Talking about 10 years

I've been stamping for about 10 years. I received this sweet hand stamped thank you card from a co-worker and thought it was the greatest thing! I remember feeling so touched that she actually made the card for me. This is what started my stamping madness. It's a bit faded and worn now but I keep it taped to my craft table to remind me of where it all began. I told my husband that this hobby would be cost effective because I would never have to buy another greeting card again! I'm beginning to re-think that philosophy. I think I have enough supplies to last a few lifetimes!!
Attached Thumbnails
How long have you been stamping?-aa-455.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

I did some in high school (25 years ago). Cards were very rustic, with some horrible foam stamps... then I didn't do much for about 15 years, then started up again about 10 years ago. I haven't purchased a greeting card in about 8 years!! Think of the money I have saved...LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

I think about four years....I've just started scrapbooking with stamps also. For awhile I didn't like the look of stamps used in scrapbooking. I love it now and I love being able to use my stamps for more projects. While I love to make cards I really don't feel like I use my supplies enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I started about 7 years ago when DH told me to find a Hobby. He was mostly either looking at Art in Comic Books or drawing. So I went to search for a hobby. I tried cross-stitching because I remembered it from school, I tried oil painting, then one day I bought a foam mounted teddy-bear set and a pack of white pre-folded cards at Joann's along with a gold-colored :rolleyes: ink pad. My first card I made for my husband, the bear from the set stamped in gold and colored with brown and a red bow. :mrgreen: I purchased a "cat in the hat foam mounted set too, and some really cheap foam stamps (leaf, seashell). Then one day a co-worker (she was new) brought a stampin up catalog to work (I never heard of stampin up back then). It must have been the 2001/2002 catalog, with all those cute stamps in it. I was so hooked. I went to her party and bought the holiday hedgehogs, then bought a easter bunny set off ebay and started casing cards out of the catalog.
Little did DH know then that I would choose one of the most expensive most time-consuming hobbies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

13 months

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #34  
Gabfest Goddess

9 years for me, but only REALLY seriously the past 3. Before that my real job got in the way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

about 6 years. I bought 1 stamp over 25 years ago and used in on envelopes.

My sisters have been stamping for over 20 years and when we would go on outings they would go to stamps stores and I'd sit outside and wait for them. I loved the cards they gave me but I just was unable to see how it could be fun. They kept inviting me to SU parties and finally said, ok I'll go, but don't expect me to buy anything.

Well, I had so much fun I bought $750 of goodies. The more questions I asked the more I found I needed to get started. Oh the paper, the ink, the markers, and stamps, stamps, stamps! I finally got it and now I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:

Originally Posted by chView Post
My first 'rubber stamps' were ordered about 25 years ago. I went to an office supply store and had custom made stamps of my 5 childrens names. I used their 'name stamps' to decorate Christmas wrapping paper. Needless to say the stamping industry has come a long way. It has been fun to watch it grow.
I just received my 5 year demo pin from SU. Since becoming a SU demo I really haven't been tempted to stray. I've made it thru all the 'monthly releases' of so many other companies, cute stuff but no thanks. But in a weak moment in the wee hours of the morn I caved to the darling Anna Wright WhipperSnapper images! $125 later I hit the send button. So in a few days I will be playing with my first 'unmounted' stamps! I bought the clear blocks and all.
Anyway, I've been stamping 25 years!
Wow! 25 years I am impressed! I know you have seen the progression in the industry! Amazing! Congrats! And you still love it! Good to know!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #37  
Watercolor Wizard

One year, I do not do scrap booking
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

my join date on SCS (sometime in July 2006) was about 3 hours after my first time stamping! i was a scrapbooker, not very serious about it, and i figured after I went to the stampin' up party that i would get one or two all-around sets, a black ink, versamark ink, and i'd be set in the card department. But this place got me seriously addicted. first i got hooked on the challenges, i needed to do them every day, then i needed more stamp sets because my cards all looked the same, and then all of a sudden i have my current "set-up" that i'm very happy with and am on a design team or two... it's been a great 2.5 years!!

p.s. i teach at my LSS where the computer logs what i've spent since i've started teaching there 2 years ago...
$5500
that's a down-payment on a car
that's half of my wedding budget
that's sitting upstairs in my bedroom right now while i type these words.. maybe i'll go stamp..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been stamping-card making for about a year now! I certainly have worked up a nice craft area too! It's not as fancy as many I have seen on the Internet but it's my space and I love it! I do share it with my college son who is never home. He respects my area and all he does is sleep on the bed late at night. He will be home next week for spring break and I wonder what I will do? I love to stamp late at night! Aww he will respect my time I am sure!
My only regret is that I wish I had found this hobby sooner! Then I would have more supplies and more creations! I sure like the learning how to do new stuff, and trying new techniques! In a year's time I have a Cuttlebug, Prisma Pencils and markers, Nestabilities, embossing folders, embossing powders, all kinds of scissors and punches, all kinds of DP's and cardstocks. I love SU supplies but I am not quite the loyalist I see most SCS's are--as I know SCS was designed for SU demos to communicate. I do have a SU demo I am loyal to, but I buy things from all over! The Internet, other neat stamp stores online and in real stores. I love unique stamp boutiques! I love my Archivers, it is way too convenient for me to live this close to one! Anyway SU did get me started, and my first stamp purchase was a Frosty set. I made the most uncoordinated cards that year, but I had fun. Then for some reason I put the supplies up. I even forgot about them for a couple of years! I got busy with the boys scout programs, their music and sports, and I finished my degree while working full time. Then my SU demo called me and asked me to another camp, and that one did it but good! I dug out my Frosty supplies, cleaned everything up and realized all I had was a blue ink pad, the Frosty set, some glitter and some cheap cardstock--vanilla colored and some blue frayed materials for embellishments. What? That's all I had? I had to get busy and get some stuff! Well a year and a few several zero dollars later I am waaay into it and I'm so happy! Even my non hobby husband sort of understands! He knows what makes me happy makes him happy! hehe! Love this hobby!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

I've been stamping for 8 years. Of course, it's gone in spurts. We've moved 7 times in the past 8 years, so that's meant 7 times of having to pack up all of my supplies (which keep requiring more and more boxes, lol) and then unpack and set up a whole new craft space. That definitely puts a damper on the crafting juices. We're actually getting ready to move back overseas in the next month or two, so I'm trying to get in as much stamping time as I can before I have to pack it all up again!
Reply With Quote Likes