Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 05-02-2017, 08:24 PM   #81
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
Just wondering,Beth- do you have anything like Tai Chi classes, or even a martial arts class, close by. Might be a good way of channelling the anger you feel, and feeling better for it?
There probably is. Not really my thing but with two active dogs, we enjoy a lot of long walks and I also enjoy biking.

I can't say that anger is a major issue for me. On Sunday I was angry because of how extremely cruel this woman was to me. But the couple that came and helped me sort of mitigated that.

My big issue is pain. Just lots and lots and lots of pain. And questions. Questions I need to let go of because I'll probably never get the answers to them. And a great deal of sadness that four women (in particular) who I thought I really knew and really trusted could do what they've done. But here's what I'm thinking about that right now. To the extent that I put myself in their path - whether church or some other place, or even just Emailing them my latest insights on 'their' behavior (yikes) - I am just keeping them on the defensive and they are never going to be able to look at themselves objectively because I'm continually reminding them of how much they hurt me. So we're into the second year - this week - and I really hope I don't see them over the next six months or so. In this size town, I WILL - but if I give them their space and stop communicating with them - then, over time, hopefully they will begin to put their guard down and see themselves more clearly. I'm not holding my breath for anything but I really have come to the conclusion that I never knew them. If there is any hope whatsoever for even the tiniest acknowledgement of my existence (which right now they REFUSE to acknowledge), it is only going to come after an extended period of quiet - rest to heal, rest to gain perspective, rest to consider what could and should have been done differently. And that goes for me too. I do know that their pastor is encouraging them to take some steps forward and AT LEAST stop making things worse. So time will tell if they respond to that admonishment at all.

I canít be overdrawn. I still have some checks!!
www.corgitales.blogspot.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 05-02-2017, 08:35 PM   #82
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2bowie View Post
Could not agree more on the perspective. Everything in life is a matter of perspective. How you choose to view something changes it completely. I am in NJ so when someone is rude to me I choose to think they are in a genuine hurry or having a really bad day so I am extra polite to them rather than responding in kind. Now I have been nice to a stranger rather than them being rude to me.
Anger is just a tool, bitterness is a problem. Keep the two separate, which it certainly sounds like you are doing. My suggestion is that you can use the extra energy that is anger and put it to constructive use. I am an engineer so I use various tools, I'm in control; the tools do not use me.
Such good points. I was angry on Sunday and somewhat yesterday still. Not so much now. I had a friend over for pie and coffee tonight - someone who knows almost all of these women very well and has stuck right by me. We've been friends for so long. She's experienced betrayal from some of her kids so she knows the pain. We had a good evening together.

My parents lived in Wyckoff, NJ for six years - back in the late 80's/early 90's. The rudeness of people there (always in a hurry) and honking of horns drove them crazy. They'd go grocery shopping at 4 a.m. to avoid the crowds. We sure had fun visiting them though - my brothers & I. We'd pick up the bus at Ridgewood and go into New York almost every day and go to a show or just sightsee. Spent hours and hours and hours at the art museum. My favorite memory was a tour of the United Nations. And seeing Broadway Shows ... Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera etc. It is certainly different from a city of 200,000 in the heart of the Midwest!!

Unread 05-03-2017, 12:21 PM   #83
Polyshrink Goddess

Beth, I just stumbled over this thread and wanted to join in the chorus of support. The church member and leadership's behaviour literally makes me sick. It's like they looked at every admonition of Jesus and decided to do the exact opposite. It's always amazing to me how many people act like the Pharisees are the role models in the gospels, not Jesus.
Soozie4Him, ChrisO, Princess Dee and 3 others like this post.
Unread 05-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #84
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katchoo1 View Post
Beth, I just stumbled over this thread and wanted to join in the chorus of support. The church member and leadership's behaviour literally makes me sick. It's like they looked at every admonition of Jesus and decided to do the exact opposite. It's always amazing to me how many people act like the Pharisees are the role models in the gospels, not Jesus.
Thank you. I really am coming back here a few times a day just to read some of these beautiful notes. This has been a hard week. Who am I kidding? They've all been hard. I'm feeling pretty raw right now though .... I just keep thinking that I can't live in a world where people shun me and refuse to communicate with me. If that's the way it's going to be, then I'd like it to be my choice and not due to rejection. So this morning I was looking (on line) at a tiny little cabin (700 square feet) in a remote part of Montana. I don't know what I'd do there .... read, hang out with my corgis and have on line friends, I guess. Not a good idea. I won't do it. But I am so hurt by the shunning .... the refusal to acknowledge that I even exist. I think that's the worst. I'd rather have someone mad at me - yelling at me than to be completely ignored. Another chapter for my book!!

Unread 05-04-2017, 06:14 AM   #85
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

If I was in your shoes, the people around me would advise me like this:

Take the high road. Forgive them for their behavior. That means letting go of the "need" to hold their behavior against them. Forgiveness is for your heart, soul, and health, not for them. You release the desire to hold the grudge. Take control of what you say and do. That's for you as well, not for them.

I think they would be giving me good advice.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
stampscout, SmurfBE, Brenda71 and 5 others like this post.
Unread 05-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #86
Kookie Creator

Beth, I agree with Diane! I was also going to write and suggest that you need to forgive yourself and to forgive those other women. This is taking such a toll on you and you don't deserve that. Leave those other women behind and don't try to analyze this any more - you have been doing that part of it for too long. Women are very fickle - what bothers them one day doesn't the next week. Add to that the "herd" mentality and there just is no easy answer to why they did what they did. It could be that they have gone so far now that they don't know how to walk it back, and therefore keep up the hostility to cover up their bad behavior. But you are so much more than that! You have other friends: though they may not share the same passion for crafting that you did, they are your friends and you have common ground with them. Try exploring more of that common ground and that could lead you to new passions and new friends and maybe even spark one of them to get into crafting

Please try the website I sent you last week by private message. The sermon last week was on forgiveness and building bridges. If you can forgive them and yourself and hold no expectations that they will see the error of their ways, your heart will be open to better things to come.

Karen
Soozie4Him, Brenda71, Kathi127 and 1 others like this post.
Unread 05-04-2017, 08:25 AM   #87
Proud Fan Club Member

I want to piggyback onto the last two posts here. I speak from recent personal experience. Forgiving is very healing. But it is very challenging, especially at first and especially in some circumstances. Perhaps a way to start that process is to think about how much you dislike or even hate those people. And then think about how your hatred and anger at them is causing you to taint an entire period of your life. When you hate or are angry with someone, everything that happened around that person becomes fused with it, and you don't like to think about it, so you blank out that time in your life in a way. You think of it and it's just all bad.

But that period of your life is not all bad. You did many wonderful things during it. You may dislike these people and want absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with them, ever again, because they are difficult and problematic people. That's fine. Forgiving is not forgetting. But let go of hatred that arises from anger so that you can reclaim that part of your life and treasure every lovely and creative thing you did during it.

RachelRose Designs by Robin... GALLERY
Kathi127, Karen3000 and Stampnnatter like this post.
Unread 05-04-2017, 12:35 PM   #88
Polyshrink Goddess

Beth. Let's say magically - these women "let you back in their circle " tomorrow. Would u trust them now. ? No of course not. I suggest that when u se any of them - pretend they don't exist. Totally ignore them. Look right through them.

Also I think the suggestions of tai chi / yoga is a great idea.

This anger is eating you up. You have to let it go!!! The anger will literally cause further problems inside your body. (It happened to my grandmother- she kept anger bottled up and later developed many many illnesses).

I totally agree with the other members that you have to forgive. It WILLL help you heal
Princess Dee, Brenda71 and Kathi127 like this post.
Unread 05-04-2017, 03:29 PM   #89
Crimping Master

I think I said I was angry on Sunday and Monday after I was given such a cold shoulder by one of my former best friends. But I was past that by Tuesday. I'm not an angry person and I don't hate these women and have never said that. In fact, I've said often that I love them. When I think about them, I pray blessing on their lives. I have probably 10-12 books on forgiveness. The two that stand out are by Nancy Leigh DeMoss (Wogelsmuth) and one by Desmund Tutu. Dee Brestin has written some good stuff too. But forgiveness is a process. It isn't a momentary decision as some people think. You can choose to forgive them at a point in time but working out the practicality of that day to day is a process. I am not pursuing reconciliation with these women - not because I'm angry and/or hate them but because I think that (if it ever happens) will have to be a miracle of God's grace. It's in their court. I've apologized for the angry emails I wrote in the days immediately after the strokes. Beyond that, I'm not really sure what I did to cause such extreme behavior in them because they never really told me. Things like 'being too quiet at a birthday party' or 'going camping with my dogs' ..... I'm sorry, but I don't feel I need to seek their forgiveness for those things. Those are THEIR issues to work on. My job is to move forward which is what I'm trying to do - but is really IS three steps forward, two steps back. There are reminders everywhere and it was SO MANY women (30+) not to mention their husbands, church leadership etc. So I may not be as far along in the process as others think I should be and I may say things at times that convey anger, but I pray daily that bitterness will not take root in my heart and I don't think it has. I do want my forgiveness to be pure and genuine and not the 'we forgive you but actions have consequences' variety that they wrote back to me after I apologized for the angry Emails a year ago. They are only deceiving themselves. If you claim to have forgiven someone but can't even look at them, that's a pretty watered down form of forgiveness.

That said, today is the one year anniversary of the first mini-stroke (followed by a larger one on the 6th) so it's kind of a tough day. I also am still in negotiations with the senior pastor and the police officer who took the reports and I heard from them today. I also am working with an organization PEACEMAKERS (used to be out of Billings, but now Colorado Springs). I have gone through the first two levels of their training as a mediator. It's a fantastic organization and their first rule is probably the hardest - GIVING UP MY RIGHT FOR JUSTICE. That's a tough one. But it is the foundation that has to be laid before we can begin to move forward.

One additional challenge is that I live within a mile of probably 4/5 of these women. They are clustered in south Moorhead near the church we all attend. So I run into them at coffee shops, the grocery store, parks ... just about everywhere. My therapist has encouraged me to give a slight smile and nod to acknowledge them but not to speak to them. That has been hard because they view even THAT as me trying to make them feel guilty. I can't possibly enter their world of paranoia and suspicion and try to imagine what MIGHT make them feel manipulated. That would make me crazy and I'd be giving them FAR too much power. I need to be able to live my life and if I run into them, I WILL acknowledge them in that gentle way that Lori has suggested. As a tender hearted, sensitive person, the hard part of that is to not start crying when I get the cold shoulder in return.

Thanks for all of your insights. I don't think martial arts is going to be for me, but I appreciate the suggestion. Don't take offense if I don't follow every suggestion or piece of advice I'm given. I appreciate the totality of it all but can't possibly follow every suggestion given. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by Princess Dee; 05-04-2017 at 03:42 PM..
Unread 05-04-2017, 04:24 PM   #90
Die Cut Diva

Beth, where in MN do you live? I'm in the southwestern part of the state and would love a stamping buddy if the distance is manageable. Or we could exchange cards with one another by mail?

Princess Dee and Brenda71 like this post.
Unread 05-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #91
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
Beth, where in MN do you live? I'm in the southwestern part of the state and would love a stamping buddy if the distance is manageable. Or we could exchange cards with one another by mail?
I live in Moorhead and am originally from Holland, MI but I grew up and went to college down in your neck of the woods. I went to HS in Clara City, to college in Orange City, Iowa and had many friends from the Edgerton, Chandler, Balatan and Leota area. I don't get down that way too often but will be in Sioux Falls next Friday night for a concert. I also had friends a little further east in Worthington, Windom and Mt Lake. So I know that part of MN pretty well.

The day may come when I'm eager to exchange cards again - I don't know. Right now, I absolutely have NO DESIRE to stamp. It is just painful. No interest. About the only thing I can see myself making is some sympathy cards that my brother asked for, and maybe some generic cards that I can slap a greeting on at the last minute. But even when I was into stamping big-time, it was MOSTLY a late Fall and Wintertime hobby. I am a huge outdoor person and can't stand to be inside doing ANYTHING when it's nice out. And it's supposed to be beautiful this weekend. I hope to do a lot of weekend camping with my dogs this summer. Maybe we could come down to Lake Shetek some weekend and camp. I always thought that was a nice park.

Last edited by Princess Dee; 05-04-2017 at 07:24 PM..
Paige and Hoboken Paper like this post.
Unread 05-05-2017, 05:29 AM   #92
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperkids View Post
Beth. Let's say magically - these women "let you back in their circle " tomorrow. Would u trust them now. ? No of course not. I suggest that when u se any of them - pretend they don't exist. Totally ignore them. Look right through them.

Also I think the suggestions of tai chi / yoga is a great idea.

This anger is eating you up. You have to let it go!!! The anger will literally cause further problems inside your body. (It happened to my grandmother- she kept anger bottled up and later developed many many illnesses).

I totally agree with the other members that you have to forgive. It WILLL help you heal
My therapist has worked with me on how to respond to seeing these women in public. I do not want to 'return evil for evil' by shunning them. I am more interesting in repaying evil with good - but I want it to be genuine and not some false prideful kind of thing that is really just meant to make them feel guilty for how they've treated me. So the steps are small and slow. Right now Lori and I have role played the following .... don't look them directly in the eye (too threatening) but just catch the corner of their eye, give a quick smile and a nod to acknowledge them, and move on. I haven't been successful with this yet .... the cold shoulder I've gotten has just been too painful, and they actually look mean. I don't know if that 'mean' look is fear, contempt or exactly what it is. I'm not going to waste my time trying to analyze it. But over time, I hope that we can get to the place where we can at least nod at each other. I don't think I'm deceiving myself when I say I am holding things against them. There is pain - but it's not an angry pain. It's the pain of being a very sensitive person who could never imagine abandoning a friend when they're hurting .... so it is confusing to me, and pretty raw. But I'm not holding anything against them. I am very aware of what God has forgiven me of, and of my own shortcomings. I have no right to be unforgiving towards anyone else. I just don't - and I pray that God will help me work out the logistics of forgiveness every day.

PikkuLilla likes this post.
Unread 05-05-2017, 10:31 AM   #93
Stazon Splitcoast

I think that your therapist gave you good advice. Do the little nod and smile thing and then immediately turn away so you don't have to see their reaction. That way it will get easier and easier and less and less painful. You have ZERO control over them, but ABSOLUTE POWER over your own thoughts, feelings and actions. Baby steps add up to full-on running, eventually...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 05-05-2017 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: left out a word...
Unread 05-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #94
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzgurl View Post

I think that your therapist gave you good advice. Do the little nod and smile thing and then immediately turn away so you don't have to see their reaction. That way it will get easier and easier and less less painful. You have ZERO control over them, but ABSOLUTE POWER over your own thoughts, feelings and actions. Baby steps add up to full-on running, eventually...
Love it !!

shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Unread 05-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #95
Stazon Splitcoast

Hello Beth

your story will help some people. I just wanted say I here for you. Remember God made you. And God dose make junk. You are beautiful and wonder people inside out. I am handicapped and live mom and dad. I struggle to on day basics too. My mom dose just everything me and she cancer now. I have trouble stamping too. But mom help she can I love sharing others. You have been my heart. I prayer you everyday. I wanted to be your new friend. I hope you can build that trust in people again. And find good church to go too. I wish live closer we could stamp together. I am here for you Beth.
Princess Dee and Hoboken Paper like this post.
Unread 05-05-2017, 02:28 PM   #96
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm a little late to the conversation. Honestly, I don't have anything to add that has not already been said. I just wanted to say that my prayers are with you Beth. I am so sorry you have had to go through this. I hope you find people close to you to keep crafting with. If I lived close I would so go and stamp with you! If you ever need someone to chat at, send me a PM!

My Gallery

"Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole."
Princess Dee likes this post.
Unread 05-05-2017, 05:02 PM   #97
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels View Post
Hello Beth

your story will help some people. I just wanted say I here for you. Remember God made you. And God dose make junk. You are beautiful and wonder people inside out. I am handicapped and live mom and dad. I struggle to on day basics too. My mom dose just everything me and she cancer now. I have trouble stamping too. But mom help she can I love sharing others. You have been my heart. I prayer you everyday. I wanted to be your new friend. I hope you can build that trust in people again. And find good church to go too. I wish live closer we could stamp together. I am here for you Beth.
Thank you for your kind note. I am always so impressed with people who deal with many more challenges than I have and are able to maintain a positive attitude and care about others too. You have blessed me today. I am so sorry about your Mom and will keep her in my prayers too.

Unread 05-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #98
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedvixen View Post
I'm a little late to the conversation. Honestly, I don't have anything to add that has not already been said. I just wanted to say that my prayers are with you Beth. I am so sorry you have had to go through this. I hope you find people close to you to keep crafting with. If I lived close I would so go and stamp with you! If you ever need someone to chat at, send me a PM!
Thank you. That means a lot. I don't deserve all of this support, but it's certainly helped me through a difficult week. Blessings!

charmedvixen likes this post.
Unread 05-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #99
Crimping Master

OMG ..... I JUST learned tonight of someone else (male) who had almost the exact same type of stroke sequence that I did - only his was brought on by a non-malignant brain tumor - but the resulting symptoms - nearly identical, although less depression and more paranoia. This started in February and he is being released from a psychiatric hospital next week - and he is a RELATIVE of one of the people involved in my situation - but because of how that person rejected me, the family of my friend's brother is NOT telling them about it. I was knocked to the ground when I got the whole story tonight. The loss of friends, the pain of betrayal and having to adjust to a whole new world where people are suspicious of your every action, think you're lying when you've NEVER lied to them, and are totally afraid of you - it is IDENTICAL. The stigma of mental illness - whether caused by a stroke, a brain tumor, or something else - is alive and well and that is a tragedy I had NO IDEA still existed to the extent it does. I have known so many people who've struggled with various things and have stood by them, and I truly THOUGHT that most people would do the same - especially for a close friend or family member. How wrong I was!!!! I had to block my own brother's Email and phone number this week because he wrote me a scathing, judgmental Email that was sarcastic and over the top. No energy to defend myself and it never works anyway. All I can do is force some time and space for him to come to his senses and realize how out of line he was. You've heard of battered wife syndrome .... husband beats up woman, comes groveling back promising to never do it again, only to repeat cycle X 10 or 20 or 30 until the woman finally gathers her strength to get out of the relationship. I have battered sister syndrome .... it's gone on for years and I'm finally starting to stand up to it.

shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Unread 05-06-2017, 10:48 AM   #100
Gabfest Goddess

I am sorry to hear of the problems with your brother. We would all like to think that when all else fails, we have family. I am sorry that your brother has let you down, on top of everything else.
Keep your head up. You've mentioned having a friend over, so you still have friends; just not stamping friends.
Hoboken Paper likes this post.
Unread 05-06-2017, 12:09 PM   #101
Matboard Maniac

I was once told, " They can't kill you and they can't eat you!" I had to puzzle out what that meant and realize I was powerful too. As Glinda said to the Wicked Witch of the West, "Begone. You have no power here!"
Unread 05-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #102
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnewithane View Post
I am sorry to hear of the problems with your brother. We would all like to think that when all else fails, we have family. I am sorry that your brother has let you down, on top of everything else.
Keep your head up. You've mentioned having a friend over, so you still have friends; just not stamping friends.
I have asked him many times not to give unsolicited advice because he cannot give it in a kind or gentle manner. It's full of sarcasm and judgmental comments. He has been very good to me during parts of this journey and then he will suddenly turn on me. That happened this week. I am too fragile right now to handle it. I just had to block him for a while. He can contact me at my work Email if he really wants to. He was way over the top this time so there was no need for me to point out how hurtful he was. He meant to be hurtful - and that stings. My other brother (in China) is not that way. I talked to him last night. He has more issues with my MI brother than I do. They are opposite extremes on politics, religion and many other things but their personalities are completely different too. Dan and I are more sensitive. Tim has very thick skin and LOVES to argue with anyone about most anything. He'll come back around eventually. He always does.

No, I am not lacking for friends. Not at all. But there are three groups of people who have cut off communication with me, and I am struggling to learn how to live in a world where people won't talk to me and view everything I say or do with suspicion. I went over and above to protect those relationships but in the end, they didn't care. I have to come to terms with that.

Hoboken Paper likes this post.
Unread 05-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #103
Stampin' Fool

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Princess Dee, Brenda71 and Hoboken Paper like this post.
Unread 05-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #104
Crimping Master

I had three women here tonight from the Lakeland Mobile Crisis Unit to help me through this very difficult first anniversary of the rejection of the "Third Tuesday" group. They were here over 3 hours and we really talked about a lot of things ... moving forward, why it is important not to give these women (especially those from the second group who were my closer friends) another thought if they would go to the police before ever coming to me to address any concerns. They put a different spin on it by pointing out that, in going to the police after I had bent over backwards to save our friendships, THEY were the ones attempting to manipulate and control by intimidation and cowardice. It was helpful. Yesterday's message in church was on the Samaritan woman Jesus met at the well - and I certainly identified with her story - ostracized, people going out of their way to avoid, and being surprised that Jesus would 'waste his time' talking to someone like that. (If it were today, they would have expected him to block her Email.) And I thought about the verses where we are told to repay good for evil .... and NO WHERE is there ANY mention of having to worry about being perceived as having ulterior motives. A couple of these women have judged me so harshly that even when I reach out in kindness to them, they say that I am trying to make them feel guilty or manipulate them in some way. But no where in the Bible is that mentioned as a reason to avoid showing kindness. I take heart in that because I HAVE reached out to a few of them and I know my motives are pure - so I do not have to worry about what THEY think my motives are. Boy, this stuff gets complicated. In the end - as so many have said - I have a clear conscience (not that I made no mistakes but I apologized for them) and can control only my own behavior. One more day to go and I'll be past this first wave of anniversaries.

arlenevita and PikkuLilla like this post.
Unread 05-09-2017, 02:54 PM   #105
Kookie Creator

I am sending some thoughts of healing blessings to you today as you work hard at moving past this rough time of health and friendship challenges.
Unread 05-09-2017, 04:46 PM   #106
Polyshrink Goddess

Beth,

I need to know...

If you lie on the floor, are you instantly surrounded by fluffy corgis?
Unread 05-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #107
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoboken Paper View Post
Beth,

I need to know...

If you lie on the floor, are you instantly surrounded by fluffy corgis?

Only if they are worn out and so tired that they want to sleep next to me. That really doesn't happen often but tonight, as I was napping at the park, Zak did pull in close to my face and that was sweet and comforting.

Unread 05-10-2017, 04:22 AM   #108
Polyshrink Goddess

Donut can't stand still. He's always up and down and all around. But in the evening, after he's been out for awhile, he'll snuggle up to my hand, pull up a leg and close his eyes.

Your dogs are so cute that I had this image of them snuggling with you : )
Unread 05-10-2017, 06:15 AM   #109
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoboken Paper View Post
Donut can't stand still. He's always up and down and all around. But in the evening, after he's been out for awhile, he'll snuggle up to my hand, pull up a leg and close his eyes.

Your dogs are so cute that I had this image of them snuggling with you : )
The picture you see on my avatar here is of my first two corgis plus two that belonged to a friend. These dogs have all crossed the rainbow bridge. For a picture of my current dogs and a lot of fun stories, visit my blog at Corgi Tales As Princess and Dee Dee got older, they were less active and loved to just be with me. Dee Dee, especially. She was so attached to me, that when I would go somewhere, my neighbors (who were taking care of them) couldn't persuade her to go outside to go potty. She wasn't leaving the house until I got home and then she'd sleep on my coat for days so that I couldn't go away again. Princess was less attached, but she was DETERMINED to go with me wherEVER I went. If she saw the suitcase in the bedroom, she attached herself to my ankle and wouldn't let me out of her sight. Wherever it was that I was going - she was going too!!!

My present dogs, Scareltt (4) and Zak (3) are very very friendly, so much more social and they love EVERYONE. Anyone who comes to the house is Zak's new best friend. He loves me, but then again, he loves EVERYONE. Scarlett is my comedian and does the funniest things and makes the funniest sounds. I could write a book about just her antics!

By the way, I actually AM writing a book about my corgis. It is called DEVOTIONS FOR DOG Lovers. Subtitle: Life Lessons from my Corgis. It's slow going right now because of all that has happened in the past year but I have had so many people encourage me in my writing, that I do think this one will actually make it to publication. My heart, right now however, is to write my story of this past year .... it's just that I think I have to wait for the 'happy ending' and I'm not sure that will ever happen. I just filed a civil lawsuit in small claims court yesterday re: the church and the way they have treated me. Their false accusations are well documented and my extreme mental anguish is well documented too. My attorney says there is no question I will win this one. My goal is not monetary. I want answers.

Hoboken Paper and PikkuLilla like this post.
Unread 05-10-2017, 06:47 AM   #110
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMarie1 View Post
Beth, sometimes we must take baby steps. Those baby can be the hardest thing to do sometimes. But each baby step adds up to a big step and then a leap. Things can become easier.
This may sound really silly to people but her is my baby steps and stamping....
I had to do this back in 2005. One morning I was feeling great. I walked my kids to school. I came home and was making birthday cards.
THe worst horrific pain ripped through my head.
I was home alone and called 911 - thankfully I stayed concious long enough to.
I had a very large ruptured brain aneurysm and a stroke. I was in the ICU and neuro for 7 weeks.
It took months to feel myself again. My thinking was not "normal" .
I was actually AFRAID to stamp. Yup. I was terrified that if I sat to stamp that it would happen again. Like pressing a stamp into an inkpad cased it.! My husband kept bugging me to sit and stamp again. Finally I agreed to IF he would sit right there with me.
So that is how I started to stamp in my living room in our old house. TO start I just started to stamp images on scrap cardstock. Then eventually I slowly started to make a card.... and well I got back into stamping.
WOW I NEVER really talk about this bit about me before as I said, some people think it is crazy of me but I actually had that legit fear.
So just try a baby step and then another one. It can help maybe for you to?
I am praying for you and hope you can find your joy again in stamping.
Wow, I have a very similiar story. Mine occured in Dec of 2011. I was sitting at home and started to watch Criminal Minds (luckily I always had to watch it or I would have been in the shower) and started feeling really strange. Kept trying to call my son who was 2 houses away but he wasn't answering. I remember sliding out of my chair and soon my son was there screaming for his friend to call 911. He told me later that he picked up his phone and found numerous missed calls from me and tried to call me back but I wouldn't answer. I had visions of my other son and DIL standing there and I knew I was in the ambulance but dont remember much else. I do have a memory of the helicoptor ride as they life flighted me to another hospital. Luckily I found out later that they had the first stroke clinic. I was told later that I had a hemorraghic stroke. I was in the hospital for 18 days.

A couple weeks after my disharge I had an appointment with a neuro-surgeon. It never occured to me before to question why as I still did not have a lot of into on everything that happened. Took a lot of doctor appointments to get everything. But at appointment I found out that at had 2 aneurysms that they decided they didnt want to operate on until I had recovered from my stroke.. I had surgery 5 months to the day of my stroke,

It took me a while to get back to stamping and I love it more than ever. My style is more simple now. I recently gave away a lot of my stamps and have so much overwhelmed me and I am sure you have discovered that being in over-whelming situations is not good but this is one I could control by downsizing.

Hope this come through clearly. Typing gets hard after a while.

Take care and keep at it and do what you can!!
Cindy
Unread 05-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #111
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Littler View Post
Wow, I have a very similiar story. Mine occured in Dec of 2011. I was sitting at home and started to watch Criminal Minds (luckily I always had to watch it or I would have been in the shower) and started feeling really strange. Kept trying to call my son who was 2 houses away but he wasn't answering. I remember sliding out of my chair and soon my son was there screaming for his friend to call 911. He told me later that he picked up his phone and found numerous missed calls from me and tried to call me back but I wouldn't answer. I had visions of my other son and DIL standing there and I knew I was in the ambulance but dont remember much else. I do have a memory of the helicoptor ride as they life flighted me to another hospital. Luckily I found out later that they had the first stroke clinic. I was told later that I had a hemorraghic stroke. I was in the hospital for 18 days.

A couple weeks after my disharge I had an appointment with a neuro-surgeon. It never occured to me before to question why as I still did not have a lot of into on everything that happened. Took a lot of doctor appointments to get everything. But at appointment I found out that at had 2 aneurysms that they decided they didnt want to operate on until I had recovered from my stroke.. I had surgery 5 months to the day of my stroke,

It took me a while to get back to stamping and I love it more than ever. My style is more simple now. I recently gave away a lot of my stamps and have so much overwhelmed me and I am sure you have discovered that being in over-whelming situations is not good but this is one I could control by downsizing.

Hope this come through clearly. Typing gets hard after a while.

Take care and keep at it and do what you can!!
Cindy
Wow - that is quite a story! Thank God for Criminal Minds, huh? (I HAVE to watch that every week too.) Seriously - I am glad you have come as far as you have, and that you enjoy stamping again. The obstacle for me isn't the physical challenges (I was enroute to the Cities when the second one hit so had immediate clot busting treatment) but the loss of so many friends makes it awfully painful to do again. I'm a distant memory to these ladies - long forgotten - and I have to keep reminding myself of that, so that I can figure out what it is that I want to do (not allow them to take away my power). The severance I've been offered IF I WANT to move (they aren't pushing me out) is extremely generous and so moving is looking more likely.

Thanks for sharing your story. It gives me hope.

Brenda71 likes this post.
Unread 05-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #112
Crimping Master

On Wednesday I woke up and noticed my face was kind of saggy on the right, but didn't think anything of it until my phone rang and I started talking. My speech was badly slurred and somewhat garbled. Couldn't call 911 because the ladies have destroyed my credibility with the Moorhead PD so called a friend to take me to the ER. I had another small stroke - in kind of a grey area between a TIA and a regular stroke. Two days of tests (every scan, MRI, echo you could imagine) plus one where the put a scope down the throat to look at the heart from the backside all point to a TIA. I got home last night and so wanted to spend one more night there as it was so peaceful, quiet, the most wonderful bed I've ever been in etc. I had the best night of sleep I've had in over a year. Last night it was back to my regular 2-3 hours so I'm trying to rest today. I need to mow and just enjoy the sunshine. A lovely day!!

Unread 05-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #113
Gabfest Goddess

I am not sure what a TIA is, but I'm so sorry to hear that you had another episode.
If you can afford it, buy yourself a new bed!
Do you have any restrictions? Maybe get someone to spend a couple of days at your house.
Unread 05-13-2017, 07:26 PM   #114
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnewithane View Post
I am not sure what a TIA is, but I'm so sorry to hear that you had another episode.
If you can afford it, buy yourself a new bed!
Do you have any restrictions? Maybe get someone to spend a couple of days at your house.
A TIA is a transient ischemic attack - a mini-stroke or sometimes a warning of a bigger stroke that is coming. That is what happened last year, so I'm in a high risk time period right now. A TIA really IS a stroke but the symptoms typically last a couple hours (max) instead of days and weeks and sometimes months with bigger strokes.

A new bed? Yeah - that would be a hospital bed with guard rails and a nurse call light and the massage thing in the center of the mattress and even the leg compression bags that were so soothing. And a backrub to go with it!! Probably about $15,000 or therabouts! Probably not. But a nice memory.

Unread 05-13-2017, 08:18 PM   #115
Polyshrink Goddess

Beth,

I'm so sorry to hear that you had another episode with your health. How scary!

Please don't be afraid to call 911, if you have to. It sounds like the police have actually saved your life a few times. Just because these people have complained to the police doesn't mean that the police have taken sides or won't help. 911 also calls ambulances, not just the police. Maybe consider getting a life alert bracelet?

I'm glad that you were able to call a friend and get help.

Wishing you a super speedy recovery.

Sue said something very wise -- you have zero control over other adults. Even though the behavior you described was unkind and hurtful, they can decide that they never want to speak to you again and offer you no explanation whatsoever.

It's absolutely horrible that this has spread to pushing you out of your own church, and that they continue to harass you by sending back your cards via UPS, and giving you dirty looks. It's completely understandable that the hostility that they've directed toward you now causes a traumatic reaction. But I hope you can move on without an explanation, because you may never get one.

I've been in some similar situations -- with individuals, not groups -- and the sooner that I just gave up and stopped expecting answers or contact, the better that I felt.

I realize that your situation is more complicated, because it involves a community, and you may need a change of scenery to be protected from hostile encounters, but I sincerely hope that you move on to happier times soon.

On a positive note, you are getting so much support from the women here at SCS. I've seen many people reach out to speak with you privately and possibly meet with you for stamping.

We're here for you, and there are lots of other nice people out there in the world for you to meet too. And of course, there are always the animals. : )
Princess Dee and Brenda71 like this post.
Unread 05-13-2017, 08:20 PM   #116
Gabfest Goddess

Oh well. You can dream.
Be safe. I'll be thinking about you.
Unread 05-14-2017, 01:13 AM   #117
Pearl-ExPert

Beth, I do hope you are taking care of yourself, and treating yourself gently. I was sad to read you'd had another episode. I'd just like to second what Elizabeth said, don't ever be afraid to call 911. The time it takes trained personnel to get to you, against getting yourself to an ER may make a huge difference. Don't let them intrude on your health.911 will get you the medical help you need, the PD won't be involved. Sending you my thoughts, and many cyber hugs. Xx
Unread 05-14-2017, 06:40 PM   #118
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree about calling 911, but even more so would like to push the idea of a Life Alert necklace or bracelet that is with you at all times and requires only a touch of a button to summon help. The difference in outcome for ASAP response and delayed can be life altering - or even life ending. I'm sorry that you had another episode, but you seem rather philosophical about it, which is a positive in my book.

On another note, I read this post from one of my favorite people, and thought it helpful for all of us. PLEASE do not think that I am presuming that you are not already working really hard on forgiveness and/or acceptance and/or whatever else the aftermath and restructuring of your reality entails! I liked (loved, actually) this post because it approaches forgiveness from a completely different angle than we usually consider it:

http://www.daniellelaporte.com/are-y...dy-to-forgive/

Much love and light to you as you continue your recovery and journey...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 05-15-2017 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: broken link - fixed now...
Unread 05-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #119
Crimping Master

Yes, that is good stuff. Forgiveness is a process and just because you have moments of extreme pain or anger doesn't mean you're not working hard at moving in that direction. I had one lady write me some SCATHING emails over the weekend - just vicious. I thought I had her blocked but another one came through. I need to learn how to really block someone. I think I used a 'canned response' but that didn't work. Just back from three days in the Twin Cities. Had a 2+ hour presentation yesterday that went well. I didn't share my story with the whole group but with one woman who was so kind and supportive. I'm fortunate to work for an organization that really cares. I'm still looking at trauma recovery programs on line as that is what I think I need. I really CANNOT call 911 in Moorhead. If I can drive over to Fargo, then I can (a mile away) but my relationship with the Mhd department is too fractured because one officer bought all the garbage those ladies were feeding him. I've been pretty hurt by the breakdown in trust between us.

Unread 05-18-2017, 01:28 AM   #120
Pearl-ExPert

Beth, is there no one you can take the issue of not being able to call 911 in your area too? It seems to me that it's an unacceptable situation, especially given your medical issues, that you would be unable to summon emergency help, mainly because of one persons behaviour.
One point with the emails, although you can block her, can you also make sure you save the emails she sent? Just for future insurance, if you get problems, they would definitely help you in showing what you are being subjected to.
It is good your organisation is so supportive, could they maybe step in on the 911 problem?
Sending you virtual hugs. Xx