Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-06-2017, 04:24 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Default How frugal are you? Tips to share...

It would be nice to have all the craft products we desire, but not all of us have that type of budget where money is not an issue.
I recently shared a few videos on recycling some of your products to get more bang for the buck and to extend the use of items.

What do you do to save $$$ and extend your craft budget?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 04:35 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Almost all my ribbon for cards comes from Goodwill, Savers, thrift stores. You'll find lovely options at a fraction of the cost!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 04:58 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

The thrift stores are great, I have a list for them as well. I have to be careful and try to stick to the list... I can get carried away finding too many goodies that I really don't need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 05:09 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I shop my Poundstores, the equivalent of your Dollar stores. Many things can be found in there- I've bought heatproof Oven liners, which equate to the Tim Holtz heat resistant mat, I've got a paint pad- the sort for putting paint on your walls. Spritz with some stamp cleaner, and use to scrub your stamps on to clean them. You will find many recipes on here for good, gentle stamp cleaners.
It all comes down to thinking a little outside the box- looking around for stuff that might replace expensive buys.
I also don't buy 'designer' ribbon- my local market always has plenty of choice. The word designer to me usually means' we've made it twice as expensive!'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 05:17 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another happy Goodwill hunter, here. lol!

Having a second look at what you might all 'trash' is another fun way to stretch your dollars and your creative thinking.

I DO need an organized space, and while I want it to be eye pleasing, it doesn't need to be Martha Stewart beautiful, and I love being creative in recycling and re-purposing. That frees up dollars for actual project materials. So one example, my Copics are housed in empty plastic juice cans that are nested in a painted cardboard box that allows them to sit three across and four up, the whole thing is tipped slightly (bottom flap folded out and duct taped) and rests against the back of my desk hutch. Easy to get to, looks lovely in all their ROYGBV glory, and cost zero dollars.

Re-purposing is one of my favorite ways to save dollars and be creative. At the end of it, it needs to be functional and beautiful. As it turns out, not an impossible goal at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 05:40 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I shop my Poundstores, the equivalent of your Dollar stores. Many things can be found in there- I've bought heatproof Oven liners, which equate to the Tim Holtz heat resistant mat, I've got a paint pad- the sort for putting paint on your walls. Spritz with some stamp cleaner, and use to scrub your stamps on to clean them. You will find many recipes on here for good, gentle stamp cleaners.
It all comes down to thinking a little outside the box- looking around for stuff that might replace expensive buys.
I also don't buy 'designer' ribbon- my local market always has plenty of choice. The word designer to me usually means' we've made it twice as expensive!'.
I will add paint pads to my dollar store list! My well used stamp cleaning pad has gone from white to black from much use. I rinse with warm water and Dawn and its still black... thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

The biggest thing I've done doesn't involve recycling or repurposing - it's teaching myself to wait. When the newest greatest thing is introduced, and everyone is clamoring to get it, I've set an arbitrary time of 6 months until I let myself buy it. If I still think I need it at that point, I let myself get it - and usually by then some shops drop the price a bit or another company has come out with a less expensive version - or the people who had to have it immediately have realized that they don't use it and are selling it. There are times when I know that I'll still want/need it after the 6 months and don't wait, but you would be amazed at the number of items that I haven't purchased

Now, that 6-month timeframe is just for brand new tools and that sort of thing - I'm still trying to figure out how to be a bit more discriminating when it comes to dies and stamps and things like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know that I'm frugal necessarily when it comes to crafting, but I am trying to be mindful and careful with spending - so hopefully sharing a few things will be useful to someone out there.

A little while ago, foiling seemed to be all the rage. There were a ton of technique videos about it, a ton of different products to buy and a variety of tools to help you make perfect foiled sections. While I liked the look of foil, I really didn't think I'd use it enough to justify plopping 250$+ on a machine and foil. So, I looked around and found several foiled patterned paper. They gave me that shiny foil look I wanted for a few cards, but only cost me 5$.

Similarly, I wanted to make a special thank-you card for a helpful accountant who loves cricket (the sport). I found several stamp sets that featured cricket, but I couldn't justify spending over $40 on them for just that one single card. I don't know anyone else that likes cricket, so I wasn't very likely to use the set again for anyone else. Instead, I found a great sticker set that cost me a couple dollars and still let me make the card special.

Whenever I see a new technique, I ask myself: "Can I do this with the supplies I have?" If the answer is no (and let's face it, a lot of the time it's a "no"), then I ask myself can I do this in a different way? If I do need to buy something for a technique, then I ask how much use will I really get out of it.

I was ok saving up for a few months and investing in an expensive watercolor set because I've always been drawn to watercolor and I knew I could use it beyond just card-making. But I was not ok investing in a foiling machine when I could get similar results with embossing powders, specialty cardstock and patterned paper.

So, my advice is to not be afraid to look at what else is out there. Trendy things happen across many mediums and maybe there's another way to bring it into your craftroom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
The biggest thing I've done doesn't involve recycling or repurposing - it's teaching myself to wait. When the newest greatest thing is introduced, and everyone is clamoring to get it, I've set an arbitrary time of 6 months until I let myself buy it. If I still think I need it at that point, I let myself get it - and usually by then some shops drop the price a bit or another company has come out with a less expensive version - or the people who had to have it immediately have realized that they don't use it and are selling it. There are times when I know that I'll still want/need it after the 6 months and don't wait, but you would be amazed at the number of items that I haven't purchased

Now, that 6-month timeframe is just for brand new tools and that sort of thing - I'm still trying to figure out how to be a bit more discriminating when it comes to dies and stamps and things like that.
Lesson learned here! I've let go of so many products, gadgets, paper, that I purchased, that I did not need over the years... I'll wait and read reviews or try to work with what I already have at home...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 10:41 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I regularly check thrift stores for goodies. I've found some amazing things, like Kliban cat stamps (big $ on eBay) and the Here Kitty Kitty set! I've also found mostly-new pads of designer paper, nice paper punches, tools, stick on decor, and even new-in-package ink pads!

I have a couple of friends and we will swap images or give/trade stamps we have duplicates of. Same with oddball items, like the "wobblers." She had used one on a card and I liked it, so she mailed me a few to try first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCardseaView Post
... foiling seemed to be all the rage. There were a ton of technique videos about it, a ton of different products to buy and a variety of tools to help you make perfect foiled sections. While I liked the look of foil, I really didn't think I'd use it enough to justify plopping 250$+ on a machine and foil. So, I looked around and found several foiled patterned paper. They gave me that shiny foil look I wanted for a few cards, but only cost me 5$...
Let me tell you, I got caught up in the foiling technique. I tried alternate applications using my stamps without using a laminator and I did not like the results. So I ended up getting a cheap laminator, that was about a late 2015 (I moved Spring 2016. Have I opened the box to use it? NO!
And I honestly forgot about it until you mentioned it in your post.
I'll keep it so I can laminate tags, paint palettes, color charts, etc...
When? Who knows...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 10:48 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
It would be nice to have all the craft products we desire, but not all of us have that type of budget where money is not an issue.
So it would seem. That it would be nice, I mean. But limits can be our creative friends, really. Your craft room can get so full of stuff that you become paralyzed with too many choices.

I recently did a major purge of my supplies and got rid of everything I did not truly love and actually use. It taught me a very big lesson about why I buy things, and I won't soon forget mentally tallying the amount of money I spent on all the things I purged.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 10:53 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
So it would seem. That it would be nice, I mean. But limits can be our creative friends, really. Your craft room can get so full of stuff that you become paralyzed with too many choices.

I recently did a major purge of my supplies and got rid of everything I did not truly love and actually use. It taught me a very big lesson about why I buy things, and I won't soon forget mentally tallying the amount of money I spent on all the things I purged.
So true...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a few little things I do to try and save a little money....

I used to only buy stamp sets new. Now I am so much happier saving a few bucks and buying a set that has been used - especially from the buy/sell/trade forum here on SCS. I used the IS SEARCH OF quite often! And for non-SU stamp sets, it still works great!

I buy my Tombow adhesive refills in bulk for less than $2 each and I buy my trimming blade refills in bulk both from officesupply.com. If you go through these a lot like I do, the savings can really add up from buying these in bulk.

I tend to buy things in "lots" on ebay - you save so much money this way. I always search for things priced "highest to lowest." Not because I want to spend a lot, but because I want to get the best bang for my buck. For example, I wanted to venture out and try CTMH and Lawn Fawn Ink Pads. But I didn't want to pay $7 a pad from the companies. So I bought " used lots" from sellers which average like $2 a pad - and if I liked them - just ordered the refill from CTMH and Lawn Fawn. I would have bought the refill anyway had I bought the new pad, so I'm saving myself like $5 a pad by doing this.

I LOVE ribbon and used to order it from different cute/trendy online ribbon sites - and I would order ones I liked 5 or 10 yards a time. Until I did some research online and realized you can buy spools of 100 yards of the same ribbons... for basically the same price at wholesale online stores that sell to the public. Also, you can buy so many of the American Crafts ribbon designs on ebay from the manufacturer. Although they aren't advertised as American Crafts, they are the exact same ribbons. 100% identical. The only difference is you get 50 yards instead of 3 yards per spool, though it does take a little while to receive.

So basically - buying things in lots and also from stores that offer wholesale prices to the public - helps me save a few bucks here and there. I'm also a bit of craft supply hoarder... so buying in bulk and in lots feed right into my obsession... but I do use most if it! The adhesive, the blades, the ink pads... they are staples in card making. I hope this helps give you some ideas! - Catherine

Last edited by Catherine773; 03-06-2017 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I'm more careful in my purchases. I'm not real frugal. I do make my own stamp cleaner and I do have those paint pads, but I also bought the absorber to clean stamps. It was so big that I cut it into 8 nice sized pieces and I shared with friends. Having crafting friends is the best way to save. We all share things we don't use. Last week, my friend gave me a 6x6 paper stack she didn't like. I gave her one the week before that I loved so much I bought four! We also share each others stamps, dies, and other items. I have a friend that is so frugal, she can't throw out a half inch of ribbon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
Lesson learned here! I've let go of so many products, gadgets, paper, that I purchased, that I did not need over the years... I'll wait and read reviews or try to work with what I already have at home...
One thing about reviews that I find frustrating - it seems that a lot of bloggers just don't review an item if they're not happy with it for some reason. It's like back in the day, reading movie reviews in Cosmopolitan magazine. Everything is positive, it's the best thing ever, etc. . . I used to love the Craft Test Dummies website, because they would give the pros and cons and weren't afraid to say if some new toy really wasn't all that. I seem to have better luck checking forums and facebook groups if I want the real story.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 02:15 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

One thing about reviews that I find frustrating - it seems that a lot of bloggers just don't review an item if they're not happy with it for some reason. It's like back in the day, reading movie reviews in Cosmopolitan magazine. Everything is positive, it's the best thing ever, etc. . . I used to love the Craft Test Dummies website, because they would give the pros and cons and weren't afraid to say if some new toy really wasn't all that. I seem to have better luck checking forums and facebook groups if I want the real story.
I watch a lot of Youtube videos... I want to see it in action several times by more than one person... and I ask myself, will it work for me at this stage of my creative journey?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #18  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Too many choices" Rachelrose, that's true for me. I've just purged stamps--2 drawers full--I had easily 15 "Happy Birthday" single stamps, wood mounted. And in 10 sets of clear or photopolymer, I had HB again... and I was still using my computer to do it sometimes. So thinned those out, and I'm fine with only having a few choices--actually, it's helped to make me more efficient with my card making, and able to make cards to have on hand, or ready to send. I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders, and I was glad to donate them..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Now that I'm hooked on gelli plate printing, I'm into trash (not just mine, but other people's too), lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Today I used the last onion. It was in some fabulous soft netting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

Sometimes it really does not matter how big your budget is in reality EVERYONE loves a bargain and that warm fuzzy feeling that you (didnotpayfullprice ) score!

I generally ignore coupons unless there is something I need, I don't go "spend" coupons.

I have a lot of open baskets for storage of things ( that have old hand towels tossed over them because, I would rather create than dust) most of these things came out of my own house. and the bulk of the storage itself I bought second hand ( but, I do enjoy going to antique stores and yard sales)

I also reuse the padded envelopes that orders arrive in, either to re-mail things or to cut them apart as "padding" for lumpy cards I send out.

ETA I hardly ever use paper towels I tend to have a few old handtowels with ink stains that I use for "cleaning blotting" in my space and they just get tossed in the laundry.

My Blog

Last edited by JBgreendawn; 03-06-2017 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

one more thought, I don't "wash" my stenciling type brushes, foam pads or daubers. I figure that it is ink down the drain so, I have them one for each color.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 03:27 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
one more thought, I don't "wash" my stenciling type brushes, foam pads or daubers. I figure that it is ink down the drain so, I have them one for each color.
Do you mean ROYGBIV or one for each specific color/brand? (I have make up triangle pads that I use for daubers for my SU! inks, but dang! if I only need to go ROYGBIV, that'd be great! lol!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Lol, I was so excited the other day when I found a piece of corrugated cardboard, I pulled of the back and picked away the some of the small pieces to see the rows so I can use on my gelli... luv it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Today I used the last onion. It was in some fabulous soft netting.
That's going to make a nice pattern, have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

I reuse all kinds of ribbon and embellishments like come on nice candles or bath gift baskets no point in wasting them! Your flat iron zips wrinkled ribbon through beautifully.

Wedding favours... sometimes there is a perfect little something and people leave them behind.

Buttons from my aunts and grandma's button box! You can often find packages of buttons at thrift stores too. Same with lace, seam binding, heavy thread.

Stray or orphaned earrings and other jewelry provide lovely bead embellishments
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
Do you mean ROYGBIV or one for each specific color/brand? (I have make up triangle pads that I use for daubers for my SU! inks, but dang! if I only need to go ROYGBIV, that'd be great! lol!)
well, I literally have a color duster brush for "most" of the distress ink colors and then other brushes that are one blue one yellow one red (clarity brushes) (one I have not used yet) and then foam pads like finger daubers I have some that are for pigments and some that are for dye's and some of those foam pads ( circles) I have a small tackle box full of cut up foam sponges for SU colors ( old colors, and if I want a green I grab one "close enough" for the newer colors and just use it) so, I don't wash any of them.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2017, 02:28 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoanneView Post
Almost all my ribbon for cards comes from Goodwill, Savers, thrift stores. You'll find lovely options at a fraction of the cost!
I noticed the other day Dollar Tree has really nice quality ribbon including lace for $1.00!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2017, 04:58 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

It's a matter of trying to find bloggers who blog for the love of blogging/crafting- too many seem to be 'professional' bloggers, who either get sent stuff to review, or are affiliated in some way, maybe via a DT or such, so are not likely to raise any negative issues they find. I review stuff on my blog that is new- to me , at least- and will say what I think, warts and all. I agree though, generally, forums like this provide the best feedback on products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2017, 05:01 AM   #30  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Frugal tips...hmm... I don't think I'm all that frugal but I am careful about what I'll buy. Like others I wait to see if the reviews are "true". I try not to buy into the hype of a must have product because so many of those end up going to goodwill because the product just wasn't for me. Also, so many of the DIY products take more time than they are worth and often do not perform as well so I don't do them anymore.

My biggest savings is using paper scraps. I.will.not.cut a new piece of paper until I'm sure I don't have a scrap that will do. I'll design projects around using my scraps. I don't save scraps less than 3 inches as I'm too lazy to sort through tiny pieces. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2017, 04:44 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I noticed the other day Dollar Tree has really nice quality ribbon including lace for $1.00!

And some actually nice baker's twine, too, in many colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

It's kinda funny. Being frugal is what got me started making cards in the first place. I couldn't see spending $5 on a card when, if I liked the image then the sentiment was wrong or vice versa. LOL I should have just sent an e-mail!

I've recently started using alphabet stamps along with words from other sets to create mixed-font sentiments. There are stamp sets on the market that will have a large word (like happy) and then smaller font words to go with it (birthday, so, graduation). I've been able to recreate this look using supplies I already had! I know many of you print out your sentiments; that must save money, too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 04:45 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

When I started papercrafting, I majored on using recycled materials and I still do. Not being great at designing, the need to create a card based round a recycled item really concentrates the mind. For example, I've jut made three male cards where the background paper was recycled: one was the front page of a leaflet sent by my bank, blue with various shades of blue circles; one was the front cover of the booklet containing subscription vouchers for our daily newspaper, geometrics in various browns; the third was the inside of a used envelope, a grid pattern in black on white. Why use bought papers when there's stuff dropping through your letterbox every day?

Incidentally, that last paper needed a ribbon to cover the crease in the original envelope: I had just the thing, a black and white striped ribbon - used, of course - given to me recently. A lot of your ribbon and trim needs can be fulfilled by asking friends and neighbours to pass onto you any used ones from gifts and suchlike. The same friends and neighbours could be persuaded to pass you their used birthday and Christmas cards too, an excellent source of gems, bows and areas of coloured card useful for mounting or die-cutting. Look for interesting tags when you buy clothing or household items: some can be used by leaving the background and any design intact and merely covering the brand name with a sentiment, others may have to be covered with papers.

I, too, never buy a piece of equipment if something I already own can perform the same function and am always wary of buying into the current craze unless I know I will continue to make use of it for years to come.

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 05:21 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyndaejaneView Post
When I started papercrafting, I majored on using recycled materials and I still do. Not being great at designing, the need to create a card based round a recycled item really concentrates the mind. For example, I've jut made three male cards where the background paper was recycled: one was the front page of a leaflet sent by my bank, blue with various shades of blue circles; one was the front cover of the booklet containing subscription vouchers for our daily newspaper, geometrics in various browns; the third was the inside of a used envelope, a grid pattern in black on white. Why use bought papers when there's stuff dropping through your letterbox every day?

Incidentally, that last paper needed a ribbon to cover the crease in the original envelope: I had just the thing, a black and white striped ribbon - used, of course - given to me recently. A lot of your ribbon and trim needs can be fulfilled by asking friends and neighbours to pass onto you any used ones from gifts and suchlike. The same friends and neighbours could be persuaded to pass you their used birthday and Christmas cards too, an excellent source of gems, bows and areas of coloured card useful for mounting or die-cutting. Look for interesting tags when you buy clothing or household items: some can be used by leaving the background and any design intact and merely covering the brand name with a sentiment, others may have to be covered with papers.

I, too, never buy a piece of equipment if something I already own can perform the same function and am always wary of buying into the current craze unless I know I will continue to make use of it for years to come.

Lynda
Wow that is super creative! Reusing a bank brochure just might be worthy of a trophy! ...I bet we could find you a used one at a yard sale ;)

Seriously though. Well done
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 07:20 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
Here's a few little things I do to try and save a little money....

I used to only buy stamp sets new. Now I am so much happier saving a few bucks and buying a set that has been used - especially from the buy/sell/trade forum here on SCS. I used the IS SEARCH OF quite often! And for non-SU stamp sets, it still works great!

I buy my Tombow adhesive refills in bulk for less than $2 each and I buy my trimming blade refills in bulk both from officesupply.com. If you go through these a lot like I do, the savings can really add up from buying these in bulk.

I tend to buy things in "lots" on ebay - you save so much money this way. I always search for things priced "highest to lowest." Not because I want to spend a lot, but because I want to get the best bang for my buck. For example, I wanted to venture out and try CTMH and Lawn Fawn Ink Pads. But I didn't want to pay $7 a pad from the companies. So I bought " used lots" from sellers which average like $2 a pad - and if I liked them - just ordered the refill from CTMH and Lawn Fawn. I would have bought the refill anyway had I bought the new pad, so I'm saving myself like $5 a pad by doing this.

I LOVE ribbon and used to order it from different cute/trendy online ribbon sites - and I would order ones I liked 5 or 10 yards a time. Until I did some research online and realized you can buy spools of 100 yards of the same ribbons... for basically the same price at wholesale online stores that sell to the public. Also, you can buy so many of the American Crafts ribbon designs on ebay from the manufacturer. Although they aren't advertised as American Crafts, they are the exact same ribbons. 100% identical. The only difference is you get 50 yards instead of 3 yards per spool, though it does take a little while to receive.

So basically - buying things in lots and also from stores that offer wholesale prices to the public - helps me save a few bucks here and there. I'm also a bit of craft supply hoarder... so buying in bulk and in lots feed right into my obsession... but I do use most if it! The adhesive, the blades, the ink pads... they are staples in card making. I hope this helps give you some ideas! - Catherine
Catherine,
Can you give the source for the cheap ribbon online please?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 07:51 AM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCardseaView Post
Similarly, I wanted to make a special thank-you card for a helpful accountant who loves cricket (the sport). I found several stamp sets that featured cricket, but I couldn't justify spending over $40 on them for just that one single card. I don't know anyone else that likes cricket, so I wasn't very likely to use the set again for anyone else. Instead, I found a great sticker set that cost me a couple dollars and still let me make the card special.

Let me know if you every have a 'cricket' need again! I have 'cigarette' style cards and DSP for cricket, golf and football (soccer) that is very retro that have been in my stash for far to many years to mention, now that I live in Canada the likelihood of me using the cricket as dropped dramatically!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
Let me know if you every have a 'cricket' need again! I have 'cigarette' style cards and DSP for cricket, golf and football (soccer) that is very retro that have been in my stash for far to many years to mention, now that I live in Canada the likelihood of me using the cricket as dropped dramatically!
Thank you very much! I will definitely keep that in mind for the future.

I know I've probably got some "niche" bits and pieces in my stash, too, that I should dig up sometime. I've had friends and relatives with interesting hobbies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 10:27 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
I reuse all kinds of ribbon and embellishments like come on nice candles or bath gift baskets no point in wasting them! Your flat iron zips wrinkled ribbon through beautifully.

Wedding favours... sometimes there is a perfect little something and people leave them behind.

Buttons from my aunts and grandma's button box! You can often find packages of buttons at thrift stores too. Same with lace, seam binding, heavy thread.

Stray or orphaned earrings and other jewelry provide lovely bead embellishments
Gee, I could have written this post, LOL! I do the same, and some friends save me nice ribbons/etc. they get from gift packages.

I also wait for 90% off Christmas cards to buy them just for the envelopes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 01:52 PM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I am the antipithus of frugal, have well over 7,000 stamps but have used most of them. I'm still buying stamps (it's an addiction ) but they are mainly digital and I have also started generating my own greetings / quotes / sentiments in word with text boxes so that I can use different fonts etc in the one greeting. I also check out the $/� stores for all sorts of embellishments including ribbon rhinestones and sticky backed pearls, I only buy clear or white embellishments then colour them with my Copic markers.
I also save the little pieces of ribbon that are found on T Shirts and blouses and get my family and friends to do the same.
Each card stock colour has it's own draw and all off cuts and scraps go back into that draw to be used again.
Frugal, no I wouldn't call myself frugal, I'm very lucky that I have a very understanding DH and like Elle I do consider if I'm going to use something more than a couple of times or if I already have supplies that I can substitute.
I did try to cull some of my stamps and picked about 8 sets of stamps that I hadn't used over the years to be sold on ebay, they sat in a corner of my craft room for a week or two and over this period I have used four of the sets and they are back on the shelf 😂😂
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 02:04 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I'm more careful in my purchases. I'm not real frugal. I do make my own stamp cleaner and I do have those paint pads, but I also bought the absorber to clean stamps. It was so big that I cut it into 8 nice sized pieces and I shared with friends. Having crafting friends is the best way to save. We all share things we don't use. Last week, my friend gave me a 6x6 paper stack she didn't like. I gave her one the week before that I loved so much I bought four! We also share each others stamps, dies, and other items. I have a friend that is so frugal, she can't throw out a half inch of ribbon!
Kathy, your friend reminds me of a story I heard. Someone was cleaning out their deceased relative's garage. They found a box labeled: "Pieces of string too short to be used."

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

Last edited by buggainok; 03-08-2017 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes