Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default how do you store your beads?

I keep adding to my collection, and not sure the best way to store them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love these for my beads. I cross-stitch and have bought tons of different color seed beads over the years. They all go into these babies with the color number written on the bottom with a fine point Sharpie. I put all my blues/greens in one box, whites/creams/pearl/clear in another and so on. Now when I'm looking for beads, they're always easy to see and find. I also like that the lids of the little round containers screw on, so it's much harder to spill them across the living room floor with one little oopsie!

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...RODID=prd54008
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I purchased at my local bead store clear plastic boxes (4"x6") that click closed. For inside these boxes they sell small flip top clear containers in different sizes. For example, in one plastic box I store my swarowski crystals but they will be further organized in the smaller containers by colors or size etc. They do not work for fat chunky beads but for alot of my beads. I'll look for a link to see if the're sold on-line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I found a place sells them, but I see that they are looking for a new supplier due to quality control. I've had my for many years without a problem. But at least you can see what I'm talking about. Look here at whimbeads.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 01:10 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I got mine mail-order from the UK and the place no longer sells them, so I can't link. They're shallow rectangular boxes, maybe an inch deep, with about 16 compartments, 8 on each side. What I really like is that you have to press a little lever thing at one end to release the lids, and then you can lift a single lid only on that side. It's fairly clear plastic, so it's easy to see what's what. If it falls, no way can a lid come off and everything spill out. I sometimes carry them round in my rucksack to work, and everything stays exactly where it should. But recently I got some stacking circular containers on sale in a bead shop, which are great for bigger beads (and brads and eyelets ).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 05:30 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Thanks, I have 2 of the 4x6 boxes, too. Right now, I am just keeping my crystals in there. Wondered if they were practical for all my beads.
And, how do I separate my beads, by color? Or by style?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I buy little 2" round by 1.5" deep containers from the dollar store. There's 6 in a stack for $1.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

i have the same things that cook22 described. i found mine at micheal's and they are great! i also have this. http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...ODID=xprd77567 man can that thing store a lot of beads! it really is my fave.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by edie3View Post
Thanks, I have 2 of the 4x6 boxes, too. Right now, I am just keeping my crystals in there. Wondered if they were practical for all my beads.
And, how do I separate my beads, by color? Or by style?
I separate my beads in the different 4x6 boxes; natural stones in one box then pearls in another box and so on. (sterling silver, delicas, fire polish each have their own 4x6 boxes) Then I further separate them in the smaller flip top containers by color and size if possible. Your right some beads I only only categorize bead not size or color. My delicas I keep in the smallest flip top containers. I keep red, yellow and blue delicas in one 4x6 box and orange, green and yellow in another box. I do the same with S.Crystals, I put a specific size in a box and separate by color too. I label the containers with my P-touch so I know whats whats. Especially the natural stones since I would forget the names of the stones. My seed beads are a totally different story. I leave them in the tubes they came in and I have some larger acrylic boxes that I believe I got at JoAnns and keep them organized by size and color. I hope this makes sense and helps. I will look online to see if JoAnn still sells these larger acrylic boxes since I purchased them many years ago. I hope this makes sense. What I like about these containers is; if I drop them I don't have beads all over the floor, hate crawling around on my hands and knees, they are small and store easily and I can take them to a friend's house without lugging all my beads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here is the link for the large plastic boxes I use for keep my tubes of seed beads. I believe I have the Prism Storage Box 1, no compartments. The reason I say I think is because my are clear acrylic and not cloudy plastic, it's hard to tell by the photo. They do crack if they are dropped, so that is something to consider. Probably not a good idea to order On-line. Worth a look in the store to see if it would work for you. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for all the great ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in LOVE with beads. The most convenient way I've found to store them is the stackable round containers (they actually twist onto each other, so you can just untwist where you like.) I got mine from the dollar store (stack of 5) but if you liked the idea you should also be able to find them in any hardware store, especially in the fishing department since i think fisherpeople like to use them for lures etc. :O)

I love that I can just grab the whole stack at once & they only take up vertical space since they're stacked...so I can leave them out where they're grab-able. They're also open mouthed enough that you can reach in them for a couple of beads. Look cute too, LOL. (I put everything in them: eyelets, brads, buttons, little primas.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I buy the "cheapy" plastic bead organizer boxes from Michaels. They are only $1.99 each, and they stack very nicely, and you can see into the boxes as they are a frosty clear. I use them for my paper crafting embellishments (i.e., brads, eyelets, primas, etc.) as well!

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=71900

REG
Designs!

Renee' Gregory
Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Smile Bead storage

I separate the beads so that they are groups of same. I also separate based on color, then use a seal-a-meal that my husband found. The bags for the seal-a-meal are clear so it makes it easy to see through to what bead(s) I'm looking for. I made small sealed pouches and just snip off the corner to get what I need. I either use a piece of tape to close the package when I'm done or seal it closed till the next use. I've separated all the plastic pouches into 2-3 inch high plastic containers. It has made it so easy to see exactly what I have and I don't have to worry that if I drop my container, I don't have beads all over the place. Been there, done that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

They sell in many bead stores and you might find them in the craft section of Walmart. Or you can order them online here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenakeeView Post
I love these for my beads. I cross-stitch and have bought tons of different color seed beads over the years. They all go into these babies with the color number written on the bottom with a fine point Sharpie. I put all my blues/greens in one box, whites/creams/pearl/clear in another and so on. Now when I'm looking for beads, they're always easy to see and find. I also like that the lids of the little round containers screw on, so it's much harder to spill them across the living room floor with one little oopsie!

I have exactly what she has - got mine at Walmart. I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I have 13 of them completely filled. I too store mine by color family, but also by bead type. And I love that each container has its own screw-on lid. I have tried so many bead storage systems over the years, and this is what works for me. I find myself using beads much more often now that I have this storage sytem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I ADORE these watchmaker cases. I have several of the large ones (size C in their photos). They work perfectly. And they're pretty inexpensive, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2009, 04:26 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Do you have problems getting the small beads out of the multi bead square-rectangle shaped containers? And what happens when the cat or kid bumps it, do you have rainbows in each container? I have the larger beads in them but have been afraid to put the small ones in.
I have just left my beads in the containers they came in so far and pour them into a small bowl when I am using them so they are easier to get to.

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I do the same when I'm using my small to tiny beads. I pour a few beads on my velour type jewelry pad and close the small flip top container so it doesn't spill. Is this what you meant?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2009, 12:13 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

I use the same boxes as polargirl - and they're great! I've got one box for each color of the 11/0 seed beads, each containing 24 flip tops.

And then those Delica's, stored in tubes in Kassett boxes from IKEA.

All other beads in 18-compartment boxes, plastic. I guess you'd find similar at your Dollar or budget stores in USA. I bought mine at Biltema in Sweden.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

I use Craft Mates for some of my beads and some are in the long skinny tubes I bought them in at a gem show a couple of months ago!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2009, 05:24 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenakeeView Post

This item is also available at Wal-Mart. I love them too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2009, 05:50 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

I have 2 bead cases that I bought from Hobby Lobby that actually store standing up like a book. I love them!!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2009, 05:54 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

I just got the ones with the locking tabs called easy lock made by Craft Mates. You can open one or all at a time. I got mine from AC Moore just a few weeks ago. They aren't where the storage containers are. They had them hanging up with the display of beads. I Hunted far & wide for those babies!! They're great.

Last edited by Brenda R; 04-26-2009 at 05:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes