Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts
Default How do you identify a passion?

I have NO idea which forum to post this in, but this one seems to get a lot of "traffic", so I'll start here, and the mods can move it if they see fit

Quick backstory: I've been getting signals for a number of years that I needed to walk away from my "job" (I'm self-employed, but worked as a subcontractor), but chose to ignore the signals because I didn't know what to do instead. Things came to a head Friday and I told them I was DONE.

The dilemma: I truly believe that following your passion and doing what you love is the way to go, but if you don't know what that is, how do you go about discovering it?

I've done self-assessments and tried a bizillion different jobs (my resume is ridiculous in terms of diversity and number of positions). I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WANT TO BE WHEN I GROW UP!

Anyone else had this dilemma? What did you do? Any thoughts? Any links, books, blogs that have helpful info? ANY AND ALL INPUT WELCOME - there is NO idea too crazy for me.

THANKS SO MUCH in advance!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how you "find" your passion. I think you will know it when you see it. I've always been crafty, and when I stopped doing counted cross stitch (couldn't see the symbols in the tiny squares any more), I found card-making. It just spoke to me. Scrapbooking did not.

I've also tried Mixed Media - not a fan,but I tried it.

I think if you want to try something, then try it. It works for you or it doesn't. But don't do something because a test tells you to.
My blog:
The Crooked Stamper
Dear spell-checker, "bling" is SO a word. Pffth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the input, Leslie! The "test" wasn't really so much to tell me what to do - more along the lines of identifying what my core values were and what type of environment I'd be comfortable in, etc. I was hoping it would help me clarify a bit more, but it was helpful as far is went. The exercise that I found the most helpful was one where I had to write down EVERY SINGLE JOB I'D EVER HAD (a very, very long list) and identify why I took the position, what I liked/didn't like, what skills/talents I used in it, why I left, and the greatest lesson I took away from it. DEFINITELY some recurring patterns there...
Oh - and I agree on the "bling", and even more so on the "pffth"...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Maybe you've already found it, but in a different form. What if you love to sew, but not for customers? What if you sewed what YOU wanted to, for example? I could not make cards for special orders - too much pressure, and it's not FUN. There is a difference.
My blog:
The Crooked Stamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the concept of "follow your passion" does a lot of a people a disservice. I actually just heard a piece on npr from a woman who wrote a book trying to debunk the "do what you love" advice. I didn't agree with her on all of her points, but it got me thinking.

There will always be jobs that need to be done that may not be anyone's passion. Is it wrong to do one of these jobs? Of course not! My husband is of the firm opinion that his job is what funds his passions, and as long as it does that, he's good.

I, however, followed the "do what you love" advice. I got a lot of education, and now have a job that's fulfilling and is helping save the earth. Seriously. And some days I want to yell "I QUIT!" at the top of my lungs and then go home and take up gardening. This is the downfall of "do what you love". Every job is going to have frustrations. If you try to make your job match your life's passion, you may eventually kill your passion. Does that make sense?

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many people don't ever settle on one thing. Many people have lives during which they have done a number of things. My own career resume is very varied.

I think it would be more helpful for you to stop seeing your next step as having to be The Real True Thing You Are Going To Be, and think of what you might like to do next. What do you feel like doing now? One decision, made out of your authentic self, leads to others. Your life is a story. Now you write the next chapter.

All of this to say - take the pressure off yourself! As for books - there are a ton of them out there. Read a few if they appeal. Or if you really would like someone else's help at this point - find a good Life Coach and work with him/her.

Congratulations on walking away from something when you knew it was time!

Last edited by Rachelrose; 02-05-2014 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I appreciate all of the input, seriously! I suppose more clarification might be helpful, too. I know that I'm NOT a "do one thing for the rest of your natural life" kind of girl, and I also agree that you can "spoil" the thing you love if you monetize it. My frustration is that I can't find something that I STAY interested in long enough to be happy about doing it! My typical pattern is that I'm totally engaged and excited while I'm LEARNING the job - no matter what it is - but, once I know what I'm doing and it becomes routine, I get bored and it becomes drudgery. The truest thing for me is that I stay engaged ONLY while I feel challenged. What kind of career would provide constant challenge, constantly learning new things?
A HUGE part of my dissatisfaction with the job I just quit was that I was executing other people's designs, rather than my own, and dealing with someone else's agenda. I know that I could design and make my own things, and there would probably be a market for at least some of them, but I hate repetition on any level, so literally everything I made would be a one-off. Is that kind of business model sustainable?
As weird as it sounds, the one thing that keeps me engaged is organizing. I lose track of time and find great satisfaction in creating order out of chaos. I've done some research into becoming a professional organizer (I even bought a manual and subscribed to a newsletter several years ago), and posted a poll here on SCS. There seems to be a market for it and I would specialize in offices/craft rooms (I did a kitchen/pantry once and it totally skeeved me out).
Should I just give that a go and see if I liked it enough, or look around for somethingelse that I "love"?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Honestly as I get older, what I am passionate about changes. To me you can have passion for something, but if you can walk away from it and not look back, then you weren't passionate about it. (does this make sense?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

If you figure it out, let me know. I'm 57 years old, I've been a very successful, highly paid business executive most of my life, and I was unexpectedly laid off over a year ago (company was going in a different direction, no reflection on me). My industry is not thriving, so I'm not inclined to return -- but it's what I know best! I'm in the process of coming to terms with: How do I accept as much money a DAY as I used to make in an HOUR????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WANT TO BE WHEN I GROW UP!"

I hear you!

Here's a book that might be helpful: I Could Do Anything if Only I Knew What it Was

and another (I haven't read it yet, but I will): Refuse to Choose!: Use All of Your Interests, Passions, and Hobbies to Create the Life and Career of Your Dreams

Both are by Barbara Sher.

Being an organizer might be just your thing, if you can deal with other people's emotional issues over their stuff.

Good luck! I hope you'll let us know what you decide.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with the organizer gig. Give it a shot. You may be able to use some of your other skills and each client would be different.
My blog:
The Crooked Stamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Well, it sounds like you should go with the organizing thing.

I think I missed my life's calling - I should be a professional closet system designer.

It's tough to find a job that continually challenges you. But I'm assuming that each and every person who needs an organizer has a different situation, which could provide you the challenge that you need.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

The book I would recommend is "Start" by Jon Acuff.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by directmailscrapperView Post
If you figure it out, let me know. I'm 57 years old, I've been a very successful, highly paid business executive most of my life, and I was unexpectedly laid off over a year ago (company was going in a different direction, no reflection on me). My industry is not thriving, so I'm not inclined to return -- but it's what I know best! I'm in the process of coming to terms with: How do I accept as much money a DAY as I used to make in an HOUR????
I'm 57 years old, as well. I don't have the same issues with monetary compensation, as I've never been in the high-paid category. I do, however, understand being in the position of all of a sudden having to figure out the whole job thing. I was a stay-at-home mom with six children for 15 years. When my marriage went up in flames, I was thrust into the working world rather abruptly and I was totally unprepared for that. No college, no previous work history, no idea I would ever need to be anything but "mom". I've spent the past 22 years "trying on" jobs to see what fit. Obviously, I'm a very slow learner (or easily bored, or both). Good luck to you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Valli and Diane - thanks for the recommendations! I'll definitely check them out

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I SOOO SOOOO SOOOOOOOOO LOVE SCS!!! I will be a Fan Club member till the day I die, just to support such a fantastic community! I went straight over to Amazon after my last post, and checked out Jon Acuff and Barbara Sher and did the "look inside" option that Amazon lets you do to see if that book is for you. "Refuse to Choose" resonated so deeply with me that I got misty-eyed and all... I could have bought the Kindle version and started reading it tonight, but I want the hardcover (hardcore!) version to hold in my hands and carry around and I'm going to put off making my next move until I read it. It will be here Friday and I will read it over the weekend and see what comes next. Thank you, thank you, thank you wonderful SCSers! Even though I ultimately followed Valli's recommendation, ALL of the input was valuable and spooled my thought processes to places I most likely needed to go, so THANK YOU! Further bulletins as events warrant...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I don't know if this will help any but I wrote down all my loves. Right next to my loves I wrote down my experiences in those loves. For example Storm Chasing- My education in weather & my research background

I went for everything from my musical background, teaching, writing awards, etc... It really helped. I made this list when I was in my teens. I made a similar list in my twenties, thirties. I just made one when I turned forty. It really helps me see what my passions are and those that have waned.

My list helps me with my art too.

If you talk to any of my real life friends they will look you straight in the eye and say my career is adrenaline junkie, lol. I noticed in my lists that research is my first love and passion. When I am researching, delving into my work I am so calm, peaceful and happy. That is what I wanted most from my career.

I hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2014, 03:20 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, DeeAnn - it DOES help! The self-assessment that I did recently sort of did the list-making thing, but it was more geared toward values and talents/skills than loves. I enjoy making lists, too, so it could be gratifying on several levels, as well as enlightening!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2014, 03:46 AM   #19  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Happiness is a feeling not a destination. No job is going to be fun and engaging 100% of the time. You may not always be able to choose your job but you can choose the attitude you have towards it.

If there isn't a perfect job for you maybe you should consider a couple of part time jobs. One of them could be offering an organizing service while the other pays the bills until you get enough clients to make it a fulltime business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2014, 04:09 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, Jackie - reminders are always a good thing! I did the "choose your attitude" thing for several years before I finally hit the wall that made me say "I'm done" (did that with my first marriage, too, now that I think of it...)

I know that nothing can be "perfect" or even "great" all of the time, but when it becomes miserable most of the time, it's definitely an indicator that change is necessary. That's where I am, and - as stated above - I'll read the book I ordered, weigh out my options, choose among them, and proceed.

"Choose" would be the operative word for me. "Decide" is too final for my taste - "choose" leaves room to "choose again" if the first choice (or the second or third) are not what I'd hoped. Multiple part-time jobs rather than one full-time is a distinct possibility, too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2014, 05:35 AM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I don't know what I want to be, as I enter the 3rd phase of my life at age 55. I know what I like and what I don't like but it's hard to take the leap, but aside fears of success and fears of failure and fears of change and actually do it. All I know at this point is that is a long process and lots of issues and details need to be dealt with along the way. My only advice is listen to your heart and soul and not to what tests and surveys say is right for you. Good luck!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2014, 05:40 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

How about health care? I am a respiratory therapist in a kids hospital, and every day is different. I always have new patients, new challenges, new technology. I learn about new conditions and diseases I never knew existed. I am the type, however, who prefers my job to be smooth sailing, so sometimes the "excitement" can be overwhelming at times to me, LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2014, 05:24 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have really "sage advice" Sue, but I can say this...I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one!!!!!!
I'm 59, kids are all raised and on their own...have oodles of time but haven't one passion that drives me...other than making cards for others. I would not want to sell them or get paid to make special requests. I'd rather give them away. I still scrapbook as well and that's fun. But I'm like you, I get bored with things very quickly. I can handle personal routine but job routine is abominable!
Anyway, all that to say...I'm so glad you shared
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sue, I'm happily retired now, but looking back I have to say I never found "passion" in the workplace. I was very good at what I did, and was always paid well, which is a good thing.

I was at various times a legal secretary, worked for personal injury attorneys who had very high profile, intense cases. It was a pressure job, with big bucks on the line for the clients, and I enjoyed it very much.

Then I was executive assistant to the Manager of a large convention hotel. I loved the variety and busy atmosphere. A new cast of characters showed up every day. A large hotel is almost like a little mini city with all the different departments and people who work in them. Sometimes "celebrities" stayed there, and that was always a lot of fun.

I guess my personality and temperament was suited to a support role, and I never really wanted to be a boss. I loved being the "power behind the throne" lol. That was enough for me. I had some so called difficult bosses, who were known to fire people by noon on their first day on the job. I somehow was able to get along with some very demanding people. My bosses always really appreciated me and depended on me and it was fulfilling.

I know that probably doesn't help you find your passion though. Here is a great book I read long, long ago. It has stayed on the best seller list and has been updated for 2014. I highly recommend it as a starting point to help you sort this out:

Amazon.com: what color is your parachute 2014

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

OMG, I'm subbing to this thread with teary eyes! It is so reassuring to know that I'm not alone or defective because I don't know where my life is going. DH and I finally because empty nesters last fall. I have a corporate background (executive assistant) but quit when our youngest entered high school and the oldest moved back home with her DH and our grandsons. I was needed at home and my high stress job was killing me so I stayed home a few years and took care of everyone else. I went to work part time at Archiver's a year and a half ago right after our youngest DD graduated high school and joined the Navy. Now that all the kids and grandkids have moved out of state and my beloved job will soon be gone, I don't know what the heck to do with myself. I can hardly bear the thought of an office job but I do need to find something soon. I wish I had some specialized skills so I'm researching job training options and trying to figure out what I'd like to do for a living that would be satisfying and give me a decent income. I've been through so many changes so fast that it's overwhelming and I'm feeling stressed.

I'm going to check out the books recommended above. Sue, thanks for starting this thread and sharing. Thanks to everyone who replied as well. I love SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2014, 04:56 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Thanks, Jackie - reminders are always a good thing! I did the "choose your attitude" thing for several years before I finally hit the wall that made me say "I'm done" (did that with my first marriage, too, now that I think of it...)

I know that nothing can be "perfect" or even "great" all of the time, but when it becomes miserable most of the time, it's definitely an indicator that change is necessary. That's where I am, and - as stated above - I'll read the book I ordered, weigh out my options, choose among them, and proceed.
I'm kinda at a place like this but don't know what, if anything, to do about it. I know what I want to be when I grow up. In fact, that's what I'm doing. I love the job itself. I really am making the earth a better place (well, at least NJ).

But...my workplace has changed and one promotion to management has single-handedly destroyed morale in the office. I wouldn't have even believed this was possible if I hadn't watched it happen.

So I'm trying to decide to stick it out and change my attitude & expectations, or start looking for an exit plan. My problem is that I want to stay in this line of work, but if I go through the trouble of changing jobs, I've decided that I'm leaving NJ for someplace with mountains. And less people. That's daunting.

Sue, I'm not trying to hijack your thread. Any decision this big is scary, but I'm sure you'll end up better in the end. Sounds like you were in a bad situation and took the necessary steps to get yourself out.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2014, 06:32 AM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been through the same thing a few years ago wondering what do I want to be when I grow up My one big issue was that I was in a good place financially and didn't want to give up my lifestyle because everything I considered would mean a set-back. As it turned out I didn't change my job and it's been great. I'm very lucky in that I work from home most of the time and I would find it extremely, awful, horrible, mind boggling to go back to an office.

The trip to decide took me down the path of assessment tests, reading books, blah-blah-yada-yada. My passions are gardening and paper crafts and when I seriously evaluated if I could turn my passion into a "job" that's when reality hit.

I know people say if follow your passion your job it doesn't feel like work. Well that not true for me. I tried taking the paper crafting route and found that I DO NOT like production work and definitely not good at incorporating other peoples ideas into my creative endeavors. After a couple of jobs for weddings and invitations I hated it and said "no more". I tried gardening by helping a couple of friends design their yards and bleech, again not my thing. Both attempts helped me learn that I like not having pressure from others when following my passions. They are private joys and turning them into my job stole my joy.

So, now I focus on finding joy in what I have. It may not be perfect, but it's perfect for me. I'm always in awe of people who can make a major change and be successful. I'm not much of a risk taker at this point in my life. For now, I'm working to find joy in the little things and when work drives me bat-**** crazy, I go pull some weeds, dead head a few flowers, make a card and hum this song: Stress Release! I'm about to Whip Somebody's A**! Song of a Duck - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's so nice to get so much input from such wide-ranging points of view! I had no idea what I was "creating" when I first posed my question!

Glitter Gypsy - I SO know how you feel! Feeling like you're the only one of your kind is sometimes very uncomfortable, and often lonely. That's one of the reasons the Barbara Sher book I bought resonated so deeply with me - it identified my peculiarity(s). I'm what she calls a "Scanner" - we're so interested in EVERYTHING that we can't find ONE thing to land on. Boy, howdy! I was a stay-at-home mom for 15 years until my divorce. In the past 22 years since then I've been a waitress, school photographer, transcriptionist, assistant director of marketing for a mall, receptionist/librarian at a dating service, laborer for a brick mason, done make-ready for new homes, worked at an engineering firm, was the executive assistant for the Director of Ambulatory Care at a major teaching hospital, worked at Home Depot as a design consultant, owned a gift shop and made many of the items we sold, been a CTMH demo, an SU! demo, done faux finish painting and wallpapering, been an upholsterer, subcontracted as a workroom for a decorator's outlet, worked at the American Cancer Society, worked at a call center for Dell computers, been an office manager for a large contracting firm, worked in a fabric store, altered wedding dresses, was a remote encoder for the postal service, trained as a Rapid Eye Therapist and in Reiki, and on and on...

I've also moved 31 times - sometimes across town and sometimes across the continent, which explains at least a few of the job changes, but not all...

Fear of success or failure or being resistant to change doesn't even occur to me - I just thought that my inability to choose was somehow a fatal flaw in my makeup. Others seemed to figure things out just fine, after all... I'm just a kid in a candy store - I want some of everything!

One of the things that keeps me static is that the one thing I know FOR SURE is that I absolutely loathe, despise, and in all other ways HATE repetition! I don't do swaps and shoebox projects and join in with groups that do them for that very reason. I did do one such function this past November, and it was great to meet new people and all, but the prep work for it just about killed me. I signed up for two swaps that were each 20+ people and I had to make the same number of "kits" for the projects, and yeah - I was over it by two or three... That's why I know some of the things that I'm enthused about would never work as careers.

I'm still reading and have nothing further to report there (yet), but thank you so much to all who are joining in the conversation, and good luck to all who are searching for the next thing, like me!

Last edited by gregzgurl; 02-08-2014 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sue (Sue-odd) - another thing that I know for sure is that YOU know YOU better than anyone, and if you're getting signs that it's time for something else, it probably is... One of the recurring patterns in the career assessment that I played with was that one lesson I kept taking away from jobs was that ENVIRONMENT MATTERED. I have a firm belief that we need to be surrounded by people, places and things that raise us up, not tear us down. "Sticking it out" is what I've done for too long in several areas of my life, several times in my life. Recovery would have been much easier and quicker had I exited sooner. Listen to your intuition, evaluate your options and your priorities, and come from a very clear place. You already know what you should do - you just need to let it come to the forefront so you can act on it. (That's why it's called "intuition" - it literally means "taught from within"). Okay - off the soapbox now! Glad I reminded me, too...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2014, 06:45 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it seems there are a number of us around the same age with all kinds of different ideas. I am just about to turn 58. I have worked half time as an RN throughout my married life....had 4 kids (3 boys and a girl) who played sports (mostly hockey) at quite high levels. We lived in a rural area so we were always driving them somewhere....didn't mind ....they were busy, happy and out of trouble. My husband and I just became empty nesters this year and so far are loving it. I work 12 hour shifts so have quite a few days off....am NEVER bored or looking for things to do. I never seem to have enough time in the day to do the things I want to do....and it's not always all that much!!! Both my husband and I will be retiring in about 18 months and we cannot wait. I just don't know where the time goes. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. It has been very interesting reading all the response. I have never had too much routine in my life other than the fact I have had the same job for quite a few years but I sure understand what others are saying about that. My job had some routine to it but when you work with sick people nothing is really routine. I am glad I don't have to look for another job after this one.....I don't know what I would do....Good luck in whatever it is you decide to do.

Last edited by wanda6; 02-09-2014 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: Want to add more
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wanda - thanks for weighing in! My position is different from yours, although we're pretty much the same age. Retirement may NEVER be an option for me, so I'm trying to find a career (or even just a JOB) that won't make me want to tear my hair out. I agree that the time just goes, and boredom never, ever happens on my own time - just on the work front. I've had some truly mind-numbing jobs (I totally, completely understand the term "going postal" after my stint with the USPS, for example) and don't want another one. I've been self-employed off and on for much of the past 22 years (and currently still am), so there's no pension plan and not nearly enough in savings or IRAs to live on. My husband is in much the same position (he's a mason and mostly self-employed, as well). Since I HAVE to work, I'm hoping to find a better fit than just doing a "treading water" type of job, ya know? I'm thrilled for you, though, that you're so close to retirement and can do whatever catches your fancy on any given day

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2014, 06:12 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe it's not a "career" you should be looking for. Career to me always sounds like something you have to do for a lifetime. Have you thought about just looking for a job that sounds interesting for now and that you can leave when something else comes along that tweaks your interest. I'm not saying every few months switching jobs but every few years or whenever the spirit moves you. I always thought a job in a floral shop would be fun....at least for a while!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow, I'm amazed that women in their late fifties are thinking about what they would LIKE to do, especially with the job market the way it is these days. In my day (I'm ancient now!), needing to work meant looking at all the jobs available for which I would likely be hired and applying for all of them that would pay what I needed to earn. There are so many variables to be considered, no matter the job, but your gender, age, experience, education and financial needs set distinct limits that narrow how much you need to think about what you WANT to do "when you grow up."

Good luck,
Bahb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
Wow, I'm amazed that women in their late fifties are thinking about what they would LIKE to do, especially with the job market the way it is these days. In my day (I'm ancient now!), needing to work meant looking at all the jobs available for which I would likely be hired and applying for all of them that would pay what I needed to earn. There are so many variables to be considered, no matter the job, but your gender, age, experience, education and financial needs set distinct limits that narrow how much you need to think about what you WANT to do "when you grow up."

Good luck,
Bahb
Which is exactly why I've mostly been self-employed Another way to view the dilemma: as we age, we grow more aware of how precious time is, and become less willing to waste any of it - working OR playing!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

My working life has been varied, but the common theme has been service, and making sure the end user gets what they need, that has had me in roles from customer service, IT, and project management. Am I passionate about work, I am not sure, an old boss of mine was very adamant that everyone has a passion and I could never point to one, which frustrated him and myself lol!

I would say if I was forced to make a choice say my passion is knowledge, I love love love learning new things, I love reading and learning new things, I read on line newspapers, watch the news, watch National Geographic channels, cooking channels, heck I even watched two episodes of River Monsters as I was interested in two unexplained deaths in South America this past weekend. I thrive when I meet new people and find out new things from them, I am interested in anything that is new to me from the mundane to the outlandish..I can read about volcanoes and celebrities and it all holds my fascination.

I would say all jobs have an element of the mundane and repetitive and as my dad used to say work is called 'work' for a reason. When I find myself in a rut I find something new outside of work to challenge me, and I try to add a new dimension to my work life such as reworking how I do something to find a better way.

I don't believe that work has to be where your passion lies, it may just be the place that pays for you to enjoy your passion.

Just my two pennies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 03:22 AM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

This is something that I don't think I have seen anyone post here so I'll add my two cents. I am 55 years old and like many of you just "tolerated" whatever job I had at the time because I needed to pay the bills. The concept of "fulfilling" was a so ambiguous. I started my family early in life and at 50 found myself divorced (after 25 years) and an empty nester. I did have a job with a good company and decided that the time had come in my life that I wanted to focus more on myself. What I chose to do was go to college part time and have learned that I love going to school! I am in a constant state of learning something new while still earning a good income. My life is very busy but I use my art as my escape from my stress and worries. This May I will finally graduate with my Associates degree (it's taken me 5 years!) and will then continue on to get my Bachelor's. For the moment I don't see myself as ever not going to school to work towards learning something new. Perhaps that might give you some fulfillment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 04:10 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm subbing. Such great input. Really got me thinking about my own life, changes I've made (divorce, etc - my choice) and NOT made but stilll survived. Retired now, loving it but still may want a "little" job to round out my time. I know I am babbling, but this thread has my head spinning in a good way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 04:32 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Cindy - I've considered the school thing, not necessarily towards a degree but because of interests I have and to make myself more "marketable". One thing that I've always been interested in is American sign language and possibly being an interpreter, so it would be something specific like that. The reason I dropped out of college initially was the boredom of general ed classes (required). If it's a subject I'm interested in then I usually ace it. If not, I have a hard time even making myself go, and I don't want to waste money on something I probably won't follow through on, ya know?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 04:50 AM   #39  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
I think the concept of "follow your passion" does a lot of a people a disservice. I actually just heard a piece on npr from a woman who wrote a book trying to debunk the "do what you love" advice. I didn't agree with her on all of her points, but it got me thinking.

There will always be jobs that need to be done that may not be anyone's passion. Is it wrong to do one of these jobs? Of course not! My husband is of the firm opinion that his job is what funds his passions, and as long as it does that, he's good.

I, however, followed the "do what you love" advice. I got a lot of education, and now have a job that's fulfilling and is helping save the earth. Seriously. And some days I want to yell "I QUIT!" at the top of my lungs and then go home and take up gardening. This is the downfall of "do what you love". Every job is going to have frustrations. If you try to make your job match your life's passion, you may eventually kill your passion. Does that make sense?
I so much agree with this. I loved kids, couldn't have kids and became a teacher. Initially it was all that I could dream about. I got to use creativity and the kids loved it. Then, they started making us teach the test to (even)
pre-schoolers. Creativity was taken out of the equation. Kids became more unruly as a result of having to sit for such long hours of time. We would have unexpected visits from administrators making sure that we were reading exactly from a script (I kid you not) and we were chastised if we were a few words off. Who could sit through something like that all day long, day after day? I retired early and so did many of my peers. Something that I loved was abused...not to mention the students tolerating this environment. My grandfather warned me as a child to keep hobbies as hobbies because once you make a living off of it, it becomes mundane work and takes the joy out of it. He was referring to me wanting to design clothes because I loved to sew. I listened to him....and I still love to design and sew. There is something to be said about keeping the two separate for the long run.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 06:38 AM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

I too would have loved to work at Archiver's! So sorry to see the stores closing. So many good spirits worked there.
Reply With Quote Likes