Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you decide?

New to stamping and was wondering how do you decide which stamps to buy? Is it that you already have something in mind that you will use it with? Or that you just like the looks of the stamp?

Marilyn
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

I just go with what stamp sets I like. Sometimes I see a card that someone has made and if I like it I buy the stamp set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I started out with stamps that I knew I would use more than once. I make more birthday cards than anything else, so birthday stamps would be pratical.

Of course there are times when I just like something and buy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

For me, it's both. I recently bought a Hambo stamp because I thought it would make a cute valentine for my DH. But often when I'm cruising around a store (either brick or on-line), I just fall in love with an image and have to have it. This method explains all the stamps I have that have never seen ink. Sometimes, it's because I've seen how someone here on SCS uses it. I guess this doesn't help you. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I try to buy stamps that could be used for more than one thing. On occasion I buy a stamp set with a project in mind (for instance, I just bought a graduation stamp set so I can make my graduation cards, HOORAY!!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I buy them if I just love the image. I know sooner or later I'll get around to using it :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I purchase stamps that are appealing to me with the hopes I can use them for many occassions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2twinsView Post
New to stamping and was wondering how do you decide which stamps to buy? Is it that you already have something in mind that you will use it with? Or that you just like the looks of the stamp?

Marilyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

In the beginning, I bought a lot of multiple occasion sets because they were/are so practical, still do a lot of the time. I have all the basic occasions covered so now I am just looking to fill the holes (my dh would say 'holes, what holes' ) in my collection, and just what I love. I am just beginning to look beyond SU and the stamp world is a mighty big place.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Well, first of all I prefer to buy sets as opposed to individual stamps. That way I can get a lot of different looks/uses out of a few coordinating images. Secondly, when I buy those sets, I first look for what "jumps out" at me as far as whether the images/style is something I'm drawn to. Then I decide whether or not I'll actually have a use for that particular set. For instance, I've seen some really cute baby sets, but since I don't have a reason to make a lot of baby cards, I tend to leave those on the shelf. However, more generic images that are non-holiday/occasion specific can be used for a variety of cards. Cute little birds could be used for a thank you card, birthday card, thinking of you, etc. KWIM? And I've learned from experience that if I'm not deep-down drawn to the artwork of a stamp, but buy it anyway just because it's the popular stamp to have, it's just going to sit on my shelf gathering dust. Over time you'll start to learn what your personal style is, and it'll become easier to know when to just leave that stamp in the store, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

Sometimes I buy a set after I see it used here. The gallery is a great place to figure out if the stamp is not only something that you like, but also something that you will use. At the beginning, I bought any set that I liked (and I had the money for), but now that I've been doing this for about 5 years, I'm much more selective and only buy a set that I have a plan for. I have a lot of plans :mrgreen: , so I still buy more than I should...but not as much as I want!

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

I tend to fall in love with and buy entire lines. Then I also do things like think House Mouse stamps are adorable, buy about 30 of them and then decide that they are the dickens to color!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 03:05 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would look through the gallery & member blogs. I spend a lot of time admiring member galleries and if I see an image I really like, I'll look it up and order it to try. My first stamp set was from SU! I can't get enough of SU! stamps. I also became addicted to stamps from Whipper Snapper & Penny Black. I tried one & got hooked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First you have to decide what way do you prefer. Do you prefer to color your images or do you prefer bold stamps that need no coloring? Then you have to decide do you like cute or none-cute? There are lots of companies that offer both styles.
From the beginning I was drawn to cute images for coloring. Once in a while after seeing cards here or reading posts, I was convinced I needed something that I usually wouldn't choose (for example Roses in Winter or Peaceful Wishes - both retired SU). While I love the cards with them, I just don't enjoy making them as much, so now I just get what I believe I truly enjoy to use. I am also starting to pay close attention on angel policies in case I ever want to sell a card that I make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 06:57 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree that looking at the gallery to see if you like an image is a good idea. I ask myself the question would I send a card to my family and friends using that image? For me another determining factor is it a rubber stamp or a clear stamp? I prefer rubber stamps but do have a some clear stamps. I think that rubber has more longevity and stamps nicer than clear but that is very controversial. Many stampers would disagree with me. Clear stamps take up less room. Taking classes at a stamp store or joining a SU club gives experience coloring different types of images and can help you decide which types of images to choose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It has taken me a very long and very expensive time to figure out that I prefer to color in images. So, now my preference is for single images that I think I would love to color and that can be used in a variety of ways.

This doesn't stop me from buying sets, it is just that I think a beautifully designed image is more appealing to me at this point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

Some images just stop me in my tracks, so I either add them to my wish list, or buy them! With Stampin' Up! sets, it's a larger investment than a single stamp, so I usually go look at the gallery here at SCS for the set. If I like what I see in the gallery, it goes on my wish list until my next order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Definately take a minute to look through the gallery and stamping sites/catalogs to get a feeling for what style of stamps call out to you. Some people love natural or realistic looking images while others like more cutesy or cartoon style images. I would recommend picking stamps based on what images you like but if you are just starting out, also think about if that stamp or stamp set can be used for more than one type of project. That way you can start out with something you love that you can use over and over again. Though, you will probably find some stamps that you don't think you like when you see the stamp image on the companies website but when you see it used in cards on SCS, you suddenly love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirlView Post
I tend to fall in love with and buy entire lines. Then I also do things like think House Mouse stamps are adorable, buy about 30 of them and then decide that they are the dickens to color!
:lol: :smile: :smile: Me too! I wonder, do you find that there are some House Mouse stamps that are funner to color than others?

I have to agree with what alot of people are saying ~ go with what you like alot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 04:30 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

I very rarely buy a stamp/set for a specific project. I buy stamps that I look at and say Oh I really like/love that. Figuring out what to do with it, comes after that. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 04:47 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

In the beginning, I thought too hard about which set to buy and always envied my SIL's stamp sets. It seemed she always picked good sets while I ended up with sets I didn't love but were more practical purchases. Since I'm not rich, I don't buy a set unless I can think of several projects that can be made with it and I have to love the images. No more choosing sets that I don't love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 05:06 AM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks everyone for your replies. I did order a couple of stamps one for Valentine's Day and one for Easter. I am planning to color them in. So have been trying to look at a lot lessons on coloring.

Marilyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 05:07 AM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I used to buy for a couple of reasons: because I liked the image, because I wanted the entire line, had a coupon, or for a specific card. Now I'm buying what I really feel I will use again and again as it fits my style of stamping, not just because it's a great image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 05:34 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I first started stamping, and went to my friend's class, I wanted to order right away. I sat down with the SU catalog, having never seen it before, right there in the bookshoppe where the class was held - and went straight to the All Natural section. I knew Nature-themed sets would appeal to me. I think the first set I ordered was Touch of Nature and I zeroed in on Earth Elements for my cardstock.

I say, to start with, go to something that is near and dear to your heart for a theme. If you aren't sure, or nothing just hits you right off, then a good all-around set works well. SU usually has something in Occasions, like Fun and Fast Notes, that is a good jumping off point.

I don't know that I've ever gone looking for a stamp set for a particular thing. I've found my favorite online stores, and usually when I visit them I see something I just like ~ then the ideas come to me about ways to use them.

You might think about whether you like a certain style. Are you classical artsy - liking realistically drawn images? Are you more whimsical and would prefer those kinds of stamps? Are you avant-garde and would like something more untraditional? There are some stamp companies that offer a wide variety of styles, and others have an overriding "look" to them.

I also like to find stamps that I can use in many ways ~ something that would look good for a birthday, maybe, but can pull double-duty as a sympathy card or even get well card.

Whatever you like ~ it's always fun looking ;) !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 05:54 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I never buy rubber sets because they're expensive (for me) and I so often find that I only really love one or two images in a whole set. I prefer to buy sets in acrylic only - 1) because I'm really loving acrylic stamps right now and 2) I tend to feel less bad if I don't use a couple of stamps in that set because they're less expensive.

As for rubber - I do buy a lot of rubber. Although I tend to stick with setiments that I fall in love with or think I'd use a lot. I don't buy a lot of image stamps in rubber.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 06:27 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to buy everything I just loved...then found out that they didn't love me back and couldn't do anything with them. Now, if it's an SU stamp I put it on my wishlist and wait to see examples in the gallery. For me if there aren't that many examples then I probably wouldn't be able to make it work for me.
I have a hard time coloring people also. You could also join image swaps to see if there is something you would like instead of buying it first. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes