Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you comment?

So I'm curious about how you leave comments. I have started to notice a few people that mass comment with the same "nice card" (or whatever they choose for the day) on every picture, either for challenges or just in general.

I first noticed when I had uploaded 2 cards in a row and the same person commented on both with the same words that both had a typing error.

I realize some people are really obsessed with their stats and if they can have their own title under their name. But I just think it's odd, really.

I always try to write something different, even if it's just one word.

Just wondering outloud.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I usually try to comment on what made me click on the card or what I like about it. That I really like the color combo/layout/embellishment... something like that. Comments are nice but I think a comment that actually says something about your card means a lot more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I comment if the card/project/scrapbook page moves me. And I personalize my comment to what I like about the card/project/scrapbook page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

I think maybe it has something to do with people always wanting comments on their cards. Perhaps these individuals you are talking about are short on time but realize the importance some people place on comments and want to help out by commenting? I know I don't always write much in comments but I've got alot going on and just don't have time to say how much I love every detail of their card, so I was hoping that a simple and short comment would make someone's day. They certainly make my day, no matter how short the comment

*edited to add* This sounds way snarkier than I intended, I do apologize! It wasn't meant that way, lol After reading your post again, I see that you're just wondering why people always write the same comment. I still kinda think the same as my original post, perhaps their just trying to comment on as many cards as possible to make everyone happy! I don't know though, I could be completely off-base, lmbo!
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!

Last edited by AmberDawn; 04-02-2008 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberDawnView Post
I think maybe it has something to do with people always wanting comments on their cards. Perhaps these individuals you are talking about are short on time but realize the importance some people place on comments and want to help out by commenting? I know I don't always write much in comments but I've got alot going on and just don't have time to say how much I love every detail of their card, so I was hoping that a simple and short comment would make someone's day. They certainly make my day, no matter how short the comment

I understand having little time, and many of my comments are short. But I feel like I'd almost rather have someone not comment on my card if they are going to say the exact same thing about every card they see. I'm just not that hung up about the number of comments, I'd rather have something sincere than a copy and paste.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Smile

I saw something about a contest/challenge for gallery comments which ended March 30th. I will try to provide the link, if the link doesn't work, you can do a search for gallery contest or momof2stampers. Here's the link:
[URL="//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333008&highlight=gallery+contest"/URL]
Maybe this will answer your question about mass comments. So far, I have only left 1 comment. Only been on here since February, and I'm still looking around (there's soo much). HTH
Tammy:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
March 2014 Swapper of the Month

Received 1,033 Likes on 780 Posts

I do short and sweet comments. I don't comment on every card I see, just the ones I like. Don't have time for much more. It amazes me that people complain about not getting comments, then others complain about the quality of the comments. What's a girl to do???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

I tried to make it a personalized comment about something I like about the card. I don't always, but most of the time I do. When you post comments in the gallery, it counts towards your forum number of posts? (I am guessing that is what you mean about the title under your name.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
I tried to make it a personalized comment about something I like about the card. I don't always, but most of the time I do. When you post comments in the gallery, it counts towards your forum number of posts? (I am guessing that is what you mean about the title under your name.)
Yes, anytime you comment on a card or post on a thread you get another "point".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I love looking at the galleries and really do want you all to know how talented and inspiring you are, but sometimes I am too worn out from work and can't muster more than a "great card" kind of comment. I do it because I want you to know it is appreciated. Otherwise, I do try to state what I like about it. Finally, if I leave a "nice card" it's because when I saw it, I actually said, right out loud, "Nice card!".

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamanthaMareeView Post
I usually try to comment on what made me click on the card or what I like about it. That I really like the color combo/layout/embellishment... something like that. Comments are nice but I think a comment that actually says something about your card means a lot more!
I agree wholeheartedly. I usually try to say what I like. But sometimes (especially at 2 o'clock in the morning) I just can't get my brain to think of the right words no matter how much I love a card.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Cool

i have only been on here 2 days. i think i am going to go with how i was raised on this one....

if there isn't anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

and yes it is nice to get comments!

i agree with the previous stamper who said she only comments those she truly find pleasing to her.

so baisically, i guess do what ever makes you happy! and try to be nice about it !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try to mention what it was that caught my eye, but sometimes there are sooo many comments on a card that it has all been said already so I just add a 'wow' or 'gorgeous' type of comment to let them know how much I liked it.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

There are times when words fail me, and during those times I will say things like "nice card" and "beautiful". In general though I try to do as many others have said and comment on what drew my attention to the card, and sometimes it is just the beauty of the card. I always tell the person if I "add to favorites" even if I say nothing else.

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I usually try and say what I like about their card or what it was in it that caught my eye.

Check out My Gallery!

Proud Army wife!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamanthaMareeView Post
That's what I do for the most part. Occasionally I'll leave something short though if I don't have a lot of time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Smile

I really try to do something a little different ~ sometimes I'll have a thought & notice that another person beat me to it ~ so I have to change it. I always try to make a point about whatever it is about the card that I like best. When there is a notation for suggestions, then I will say if there is something that I would have done differently, otherwise, I figure the person loves their creation the way it is ~ and art is very subjective ~
I'm on a new med that requires that I stay upright for at least 30 minutes for the next 60 days ~ so I'm figuring I will be making a whole bunch of people happy by commenting in the gallery...:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

I don't do a ton of commenting. However, when I see a card a really really like, I make sure I comment. In my comment I like to let the individual know what it is about the card that really caught my eye!!

Hopefully, I will have some more time to comment more often. In the meantime, I'll just keep giving as many comments as possiblw.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebethneuView Post
Yes, anytime you comment on a card or post on a thread you get another "point".
What does this mean? Points for what?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MonkeyMama, look under your name. You have "Polyshrink Goddess" as your sub-title. This title changes based on the number of posts (points) you leave, whether on a thread or adding a comment.

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

I try to say what in particular I like best about the card. I wish I had time to comment more. I am afraid I haven't done much.

My Blog - Crafting The Web | Illustrator and Designer for - Gina K Designs

2012 Design Team Member - Spellbinders
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I try to leave a comment about some detail that I liked on the card but so many times the people before me have said it all and I can't think of another word to use. In my mind, even if it is a cut and paste from the previous card I still think the person made an effort to let you know they liked it. In my mind it shouldn't be so much as what the person said about the card rather than how nice they were to validate your card to make you feel good. Just my opinion and not meant to hurt anyones feelings....

My Gallery http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=25291

I would be delighted if you checked out my blog: http://www.justforfun.typepad.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #23  

Well, I never "copy and paste" comments. I prefer what I have to say be my original reaction of the card. I typically comment on cards that attract my attention (for me, that's well-executed, good colour, good design, and NOT CROOKED). I try periodically to comment on those who have commented on my artwork. I'm not that good at getting to that very quickly and so sometimes I do, sometimes I don't ... However, any comment I receive is appreciated, whether copied or not!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Well, first of all there just isn't time to leave a comment on all the cards that I like. So for me, it's the ones that really jump off the screen at me. And I'd usually try to say why I liked it - the colours, a particular stamp, whatever. Doesn't matter if someone has already said it, because it's still true for me.
Sometimes I look at the daily uploads, sometimes it's a gallery for a particular stamp or technique, and sometimes I just go and look at a particular person's gallery, but I'll try to take time to leave a couple of comments.
Creativity is all personal and subjective, though, - at the end of the day what matters to me is that I like and am happy with my own cards, and while it's icing on the cake when other people like them too and say so, that's not the reason for making them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 04:04 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebethneuView Post
So I'm curious about how you leave comments.
I try to comment specifically on what I like about the card, be it the colors, layout, an embellishment, the feel of the card... whatever! I want the person whose gallery I am commenting on to have something meaningful to read. I appreciate people who leave those types of comments in my gallery too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 04:07 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

I know this is going to sounds snarky, but I'm not trying to be. And it's not directed at the OP, but...
There are so many threads that people start because they are upset that people don't comment. Now there is a thread about not liking what is left for a comment because it's not detailed enough? It really makes one not want to comment period. It takes time to leave comments. Especially if you are on a computer that takes forever to recycle back to the gallery after posting.
Nice card is not a bad or lazy comment. It really means that the overall appearance, design, color, or whatever made it a really nice card. It attracted the commenter's attention enough to leave a comment. Enjoy the joy you brought to their life through your art and don't lose your joy by judging the comment
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 04:10 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also try to comment on why I like the card. SOmetimes though it seems like the same comments as I leave for other cards to. Like Nice Layout & Colors because I do like the layout & the colors used. But I do not copy & paste in the comments. If I am pressed for time, then I leave a shorter comment. I think some do just copy in a verse like "nice card" because they do like the card and want to comment. I think that's OK if they do that. THey are leaving a comment and it is a nice one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 04:14 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kluvsj711View Post
I know this is going to sounds snarky, but I'm not trying to be. And it's not directed at the OP, but...
There are so many threads that people start because they are upset that people don't comment. Now there is a thread about not liking what is left for a comment because it's not detailed enough? It really makes one not want to comment period. It takes time to leave comments. Especially if you are on a computer that takes forever to recycle back to the gallery after posting.
Nice card is not a bad or lazy comment. It really means that the overall appearance, design, color, or whatever made it a really nice card. It attracted the commenter's attention enough to leave a comment. Enjoy the joy you brought to their life through your art and don't lose your joy by judging the comment
I saw that thread you are talking about. I will not post on that one at all as I do not judge & critsize what should have been added to a card and such. Each one of us has different likes & techniques. I love going in the Gallery & looking at everyones creations as they are. If I would think something should have been done differently I would then just CASE it and change to my liking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 04:33 AM   #29  

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theresa RomaniView Post
I try to mention what it was that caught my eye, but sometimes there are sooo many comments on a card that it has all been said already so I just add a 'wow' or 'gorgeous' type of comment to let them know how much I liked it.
I'm with you Theresa, I want them to know it caught my eye and I acknowledge that it's pretty. One of the former Dirty Girls sometimes says nice card and I figure that is a compliment in and of itself-but then she told me it means: very pretty card, nice color combo and layout, I really liked the card I just remember that and know it's her shorthand, because we all are busy
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 05:02 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

I appreciate all comments, even "nice card" ... nothing wrong with that ... at least they took the time to let me know that they liked my card! I try to comment as much as I can in the gallery, but I never seem to have enough time, so most often it is a short comment ... however, I only comment on the cards that REALLY catch my eye ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 05:04 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJView Post
I agree wholeheartedly. I usually try to say what I like. But sometimes (especially at 2 o'clock in the morning) I just can't get my brain to think of the right words no matter how much I love a card.
I think this sums up my comments as well. I like to try to say what it is about the card that made me comment, but sometimes I just like the card and can't put my finger on why so it gets a "Very pretty" or "Cute" or whatnot just to let the poster know that I admired it. I force myself to absolutely not use copy/paste in the gallery cause I do want it to seem somewhat more personal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb_loves_stampingView Post
I appreciate all comments, even "nice card" ... nothing wrong with that ... at least they took the time to let me know that they liked my card! I try to comment as much as I can in the gallery, but I never seem to have enough time, so most often it is a short comment ... however, I only comment on the cards that REALLY catch my eye ...
What to do what to do what to do!!! Seems like you're darned if you do and darned if don't. Deb pretty much sums up my feelings about comments. I don't post a lot of cards, and a one word comment is awesome for me. It tells me that someone took time to look and then took time to comment before going on to look at the 1000 cards uploaded daily. So for me, one word comments are great!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by kluvsj711View Post
I don't comment very often only because I am kind of afraid to. Sometimes like here the comments aren't enough or they don't say the right thing or they say nice color but it was a color challenge and I didn't know. It is just too scary to leave comments. I have no original ideas at all and I love this site because you are all so talented. If I knew how to say it just right I would love to comment but what if I insult a very talented person with the wrong comment?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

I never meant for anyone to feel bad about how they comment, or that they weren't descriptive enough.

I was really just wondering how other people did it. Whether it was go in and blanket comment as much as you can with one phrase or read what the person wrote and comment on each card specifically.

Really, I leave comments like "lovely card" but I always try to make sure the next simple comment is slightly different, like "pretty card".

I guess I'm just too sensitive and want to make other people feel that each comment is unique, even if it's just slightly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

My comments are usually quite short due to time restrictions but I try to mention a specific thing about a card if something pops out at me. Mostly the colours or the layout are what get me so I leave a lot of "great colour combo" or "great layout" type comments - but I mean them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 01:54 PM   #36  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeniseWView Post
I don't comment very often only because I am kind of afraid to. Sometimes like here the comments aren't enough or they don't say the right thing or they say nice color but it was a color challenge and I didn't know. It is just too scary to leave comments. I have no original ideas at all and I love this site because you are all so talented. If I knew how to say it just right I would love to comment but what if I insult a very talented person with the wrong comment?
I think the overwhelming majority of members here are very friendly and happy to receive any comment, no matter how original.

My Blog - Crafting The Web | Illustrator and Designer for - Gina K Designs

2012 Design Team Member - Spellbinders
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #37  

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeniseWView Post
That's why threads like these are not helpful ... comment what you feel in any way you feel. The OP wasn't intending this thread to be a bashing of what a person comments, only why they choose to say what they do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartharView Post
I love looking at the galleries and really do want you all to know how talented and inspiring you are, but sometimes I am too worn out from work and can't muster more than a "great card" kind of comment. I do it because I want you to know it is appreciated. Otherwise, I do try to state what I like about it. Finally, if I leave a "nice card" it's because when I saw it, I actually said, right out loud, "Nice card!".
This is what I do. I don't seem to get into the gallery much now but when I do, I try to take that extra couple of seconds to leave a comment on a card I got a closer look at. If I have more time I'll be more specific about what I liked.

Reply With Quote Likes