Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hot wheels party favor

My son wants a Hot Wheels/Speedracer birthday party for his 5th bday. I have been trying to brainstorm on some party favor ideas. I'm coming up blank. So, I thought I would check in here. Do any of you have ideas?
Thanks a bunch,
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not a Hot Wheels car for each person? They aren't too expensive. Gold chocolate coins (race winners' earnings), or maybe you could assemble a miniature trophy (from Speed Racer) out of candy.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Hot Wheels cars will cost between 99cents and $1.49 each, depends on what store you go to.
You can use flat lollipops (like the ones that come in a big strip), and make them into 'road signs' using a cricut or punches to cut out triangles, squares, and whatever shape a stop sign is (hexagon, i think, the 6 sided one?). use stamps or a marker to write the letters like 'STOP'. it will probably take about three minutes a pop to cover them.
The cake- cover a sheet cake with black icing for 'roads', then add green-tinted coconut as grass in between. You can find cheap party favor cars (make sure theres enough cars so each kid gets one LOL or chaos may ensue), and put them to look like they're driving. Teddy Grahams can be used as little people.
or do cupcakes, with green icing and a little car on each.
instead of pin the tail on the donkey, what about 'pin the tire on the wheel' or something like that
how about the kids make a 'keychain'- you can use shrink plastic (Shrinky dinks) and pre-draw some cars or a key fob design with each kid able to use colored pencils to color it in. then you can shrink them in the oven during the party and each kid goes home with a finished key chain.
if its a summer party, you can have a backyard scavenger hunt... 'hide' some keys (car keys), oil cans (you can paint over or relabel empty soup cans if they have no sharp edges), some air fresheners (cut chipboard in the shape of a pine tree and paint), and a road map (use old atlas pages).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bless your son and his easy ideas. My son's: "Yellow" "You know, party themed" stuff like that.

I like the individual hot wheels, I'd just do that. If you wanted a bunch of balloons at the party (my kids always do) you could use the cars as balloon weights and then they get the car and the balloon to go home with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ohhh! I love that balloon idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh I didn't ask how many kids? I usually h ave like 5-10 so buying seperate cars and balloons is not a big deal. If it's a ton of kids I'd have to think more I rekon. I'm kinda cheap. Course cars are good favors to me because everyone likes them and wouldn't throw them out. Favors that are basicly cute trash bother me a bunch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

I saw them for 50 cents at our Dollar Tree the other day...sure, they were the older ones but my stepdaughter informed me that it does not matter 'cause they trade them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Default Hot Wheels Party...

I had a Hot Wheels Birthday Party for my son years ago...he's 16 1/2 now...instead of a cake...I made cupcakes and had hot wheels on top as favors...and each kid got to make a race car...we had construction paper, glue, and scissors and each one got to decorate a cardboard box that I had gotten from the produce dept of the grocery store (I had cut out the bottom flaps, we used small black paper plates as wheels, those were hot glued on ahead of time and then they got to step right into their cars and race the afternoon away...the kids had a great time and they also got to take their car home with them...

Twila
2011 Artisan Award Finalist

My 100% SU! Blog: www.thestampingspot.blogspot.com

My Website: www.twilamooneyham.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by twilamooneyhamView Post
I had a Hot Wheels Birthday Party for my son years ago...he's 16 1/2 now...instead of a cake...I made cupcakes and had hot wheels on top as favors...and each kid got to make a race car...we had construction paper, glue, and scissors and each one got to decorate a cardboard box that I had gotten from the produce dept of the grocery store (I had cut out the bottom flaps, we used small black paper plates as wheels, those were hot glued on ahead of time and then they got to step right into their cars and race the afternoon away...the kids had a great time and they also got to take their car home with them...

Twila
Very clever idea! And it's recycling which would make my son happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you are only having a few kids, a Hot Wheel car would be inexpensive. Lots of stores sell them for around 50 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've learned with kids........keep it simple! As much as we want to make stuff, they'd rather just have the car!! Everything else ends up in the trash, sadly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

When DS had a Hot Wheels birthday, I found a car candy mold and made crayons for the kids. That went over very well. (And is a great use for all those broken, half-used crayons.)

Inkspots101 my crafting blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for the great ideas! I think I'm only going to have 5 or 8 kids, even though my son will have other ideas. Weather permitting I'm hoping to have it outside. A treasure hunt is a good idea. I was trying to think of water games that would involve cars/racing. I was thinking of goodie bags, but the balloon idea is cute. What kid doesn't like balloons? I wouldn't have to do a goodie bag then, would I?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Are you doing invitations? I was thinking that if you put some black paint on a paper plate and ran the wheels of a larger car/truck through it, you and your son could "stamp" some invites pretty quickly.
member #1507 gallery
witticisms... a witty blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushka4pawsView Post
Thanks for the great ideas! I think I'm only going to have 5 or 8 kids, even though my son will have other ideas. Weather permitting I'm hoping to have it outside. A treasure hunt is a good idea. I was trying to think of water games that would involve cars/racing. I was thinking of goodie bags, but the balloon idea is cute. What kid doesn't like balloons? I wouldn't have to do a goodie bag then, would I?
Nah, I think a car and a balloon is enough. You could do goodie bags and have the car in the bag and the balloon tied to the whole bag if you wanted, but I don't think it's really necessary.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have any kids, so you can totally dismiss this suggestion. This idea struck me funny when you said you were thinking of having it outside and something to do with water. Why don't you get the kids to pretend your car is a race car and get them to wash it for you. Kind of like they're in the pit at the race track.... I know, its kinda lame, but at least you would get your car washed...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

get my car washed, what a great idea!
I forgot to ask how do you make crayons?
I'm thinking the balloon w/hotwheel is an idea. They can "dive" for ducks, I found race car driver ones, with numbers on the bottom. According to which number you get is which choice you get. I have a kiddie pool w/a slide on it. They would definately get wet that way.
Was also thinking about using water guns and having the kids shoot cars off of a ledge to win a prize. Not sure if the watergun will be strong enough though
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks again for all of the great ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I don't have any kids, so you can totally dismiss this suggestion. This idea struck me funny when you said you were thinking of having it outside and something to do with water. Why don't you get the kids to pretend your car is a race car and get them to wash it for you. Kind of like they're in the pit at the race track.... I know, its kinda lame, but at least you would get your car washed...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah...........this is the BEST idea I have ever heard!!!! LOVE IT!! You could play that song - Working at the Car Wash. After they have scrubbed their section clean they get a squirt gun to rinse it off. If they work hard and do a good job they get a cupcake, balloon and hotwheels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2010, 04:58 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I have to share a funny story about black frosting... My dd wanted a Minnie Mouse cake, and I got some black frosting from the local gs's bakery. When we were all standing around eating the cake, someone noticed that the black frosting was coating our lips, teeth, and tongue BLACK! The kids might love it, but it was a nightmare for me... hahaha!!!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Definately staying away from the black frosting!
I have a suburban, how long do you think it will take for them to wash it?
Reply With Quote Likes