Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Trouble with sweetly pressed cookie stamp!

What a mess! I bought the set that contained the shamrock so that I could make a couple dozen cookies to sell at a Celtic festival. What could go wrong?? Right?? Well, so far I have made........ One cookie. The dough sticks terribly to the stamp. I've tried using cold dough and it was too hard to press. Then when I let it get to room temperature, it clung to the stamp like it was the last life preserver on the Titanic. I need to crank these cookies out, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I used the shortbread recipe that came with the cookie stamp.

Jutta
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have used mine several times with no problem. I used the sugared shortbread recipe that was one of the recipes included.

Add a little more flour to dough, perhaps? I definitely did chill my dough, then quarter it and work with smaller sections. Also you could dip the stamp in powdered sugar before pressing in to the dough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Default Thanks!

I'll try adding some flour. One thing I noticed on the you tube videos is that everyone dipped the stamp in sugar before pressing, which the directions did not mention

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Yes, the sugar helps! What dough did you use? I used the shortbread included as well. I chilled the dough for a few minutes to firm it up but not make it hard, that make sense? I think they take a bit of practice but mine worked out well once I did those two things, the sugar and a SLIGHT chill. My hubby really liked the taste of that dough too!

I also actually made some cool ones with colored sanding sugar by filling the press with colored sugar them pressing the dough upside down with my hand then putting them on the cookie sheet. They were really cool!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Yes you definitely need to dip it in sugar every time you stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Default Regrets

If I had known what a pain these cookies are, I would never have purchased this sweetly pressed set! I did everything right, but didn't 't chill the dough after stamping and I ended up wasting my time and ingredients. The cookies spread into pools of dough with no discernible shamrock pattern. I am very disappointed in this product. I need to stick to ink and paper!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2013, 04:23 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
If I had known what a pain these cookies are, I would never have purchased this sweetly pressed set! I did everything right, but didn't 't chill the dough after stamping and I ended up wasting my time and ingredients. The cookies spread into pools of dough with no discernible shamrock pattern. I am very disappointed in this product. I need to stick to ink and paper!

Jutta
No, no....don't chill the dough AFTER stamping. Chill it BEFORE you form and stamp the cookies.

Did you use a shortbread recipe? If you use a regular cookie recipe that has leavening, yes the image turns in to a puffy / indiscernable mess. It needs to be a firm dough with no leavening, like the shortbread recipes they include. I have bought 3 sets now for the different patterns. They turned out so good (both pretty and tasty) that I gave them away as Christmas gifts.

It really sounds to me like you had too much butter and not enough flour. I think adding more flour to firm up the dough might have been your solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I have always used Betty Crocker cookie mix, either sugar cookie or peanut butter, with absolutely no problems. Mix up the dough, roll it into balls, dip the stamp into sugar, stamp and bake.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2013, 06:41 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Oh yeah, stamp in sugar first. But, my demo also used the stamp as soon as they came out of the oven when they were still hot. She said it gave a cleaner impression after they were baked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Default Crummy cookies

Thanks Marge, but my demo said that she chilled the dough after rolling into balls, then after stamping, then bake. I used the enclosed shortbread recipe. The only stamp I plan to keep is the " Thank You" one. If anyone is interested in buying the silicone stamps, send me a PM. I have the bunny, the one that says Stampin Up, the one that says I love to stamp, the daisy, and love what you do, and of course, my lucky shamrock. Buy one or buy all!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes