Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2011, 12:53 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: I live in the land of Downunder. yep you guessed it i live in Australia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with ideas for my stamps

I was given 2 stamps from by dear friend in Canada. I want to use them properly, what I mean is they are native designs. One is called Hands of Creation Kwagiulth and the other is Eagle Haisia Heiltsuk .

As I am Australian and not familiar with these designs, I would like to create cards that are mindful of their customs so hoping that sombody can help me.

Thanks in advance
Zena

Hopefully this attachment of what the stamps looks like works.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with ideas for my stamps-canadian-stamps.jpg  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 03:39 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I really wish I could help, but those images are facinating and I look forward to seeing your creations with them. There will be someone here that can help though, I'm sure. These artists that gather here are an amazing resourse and always happy to share.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 07:04 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe you could type in the names and try a Google image search and come up with something.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a quick search, and it appears (and I could be wrong) that the indian words actually are the tribal, or first nations bands, and the english words are what the figures represent. I don't know if there are any customs associated with them. Could you contact your friend in Canada for more information?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by zekenneView Post
I was given 2 stamps from by dear friend in Canada. I want to use them properly, what I mean is they are native designs. One is called Hands of Creation Kwagiulth and the other is Eagle Haisia Heiltsuk .
I looked at Google images for both terms and they seem to use a red and black theme with those images. Very pretty.

From Wikipedia:
Haisla
Main article: Haisla people
The Haisla (also Xa�islak�ala, X̄a�islakʼala, X̌�ʼislakʼala, X̣aʼislak�ala) are an indigenous nation living at Kitamaat in the North Coast region of the Canadian province of British Columbia. The name Haisla is derived from the Haisla word x̣�ʼisla or x̣�ʼisəla, "(those) living at the rivermouth, living downriver"

Heiltsuk
Main article: Heiltsuk people
The Heiltsuk (pronounced /ˈhaɪlstʊk/ HYL-stook[4]) are an indigenous nation of the Central Coast region of the Canadian province of British Columbia, centred on the island communities of Bella Bella and Klemtu. The Heiltsuk are the descendants of a number of tribal groups who came together in Bella Bella in the 19th century. They generally prefer the autonym Heiltsuk. European-Canadian settlers commonly called them the Bella Bella Indians. a

The origins of these designs aren't exclusively Canadian. Here's an interesting link where some of the above information comes from:

Indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest Coast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please be sure to post some cards when you're done. I'd be really curious to see them :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I absolutely love art of the Pacific Northwest ~ how wonderful of your friend to send you these lovely stamps!

Years ago, I did visit that area and studied the different tribes in college in an anthropology course. . .wish I still had my notebooks, LOL!

I'm certain that using a search engine like Google for "Pacific Northwest Art" would be helpful to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Those images are from the Haida nation peoples along the west coast (mostly British Columbia and Washington state). The traditional colours are usually black & red (image would be black on a red background). They represent spirits, so they're fluid showing how everything moves and interconnects. I'm sure anything you do with them would be great and your friend would appreciate just knowing you were able to create with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2011, 03:22 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: I live in the land of Downunder. yep you guessed it i live in Australia

Thanks for all the suggestions and the links. I will definately post the cards when I make them. Just hope I don't offend anyone if I don't use them correctly.

Ooh ooh I have just thought of how I can incorporate one of them into a stampscape type card. Off to the craft room.

Thanks again
hooroo all
Reply With Quote Likes