Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-28-2007, 03:27 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Garage Sales

Hi! We are moving in a few weeks and I need to clear out some of my unused Stampin' stuff. I have LOTS of scraps - do you think anyone would be interested in them? I packaged them up in large ziploc bags (all approximately the same size) and of course each bag has lots of different scraps. What do you think would be a fair price? What about retired wheels? And retired sets? I know that most garage sale shoppers are really looking for value so I don't want to overprice but I don't want them back in the house after the sale is over!

Your input is appreciated! TIA!

Mary
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 03:33 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Mary! I would browse the bst forum here for prices on retired sets. Here's another idea, post them on your craigslist.com under arts and crafts - I sold some sets on there reallly quick! Good luck! btw, I would average maybe a dime per full sheet of scraps. They should sell quick!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 03:40 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Mary - Some friends and I had a "cleaning out the clutter" sale last year and sold tons of stamp sets, supplies, paper, etc. The key was that we were not selling our stuff at "garage sale" prices, but were selling at very reduced prices. We priced all of our sets at approximately one-third lower than the original catty price. Wheels were half off. I didn't sell bags of scrap, but I turned my scrap into die cut tags using my Sizzix and sold bags of 50 tags for 50 cents -- they went like mad! Just some ideas for how to calculate. We also posted signs that said No Negotiating - Prices are Final. Not a single person complained. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 04:24 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Wish I lived near you. I would so come to your yard sale!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 06:31 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

BUMP
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 06:31 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I also have some misc. pieces of ribbon that I am going to ziploc together and some altoids tins - any idea on pricing?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 08:02 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by ped1990View Post
Hi Mary - Some friends and I had a "cleaning out the clutter" sale last year and sold tons of stamp sets, supplies, paper, etc. The key was that we were not selling our stuff at "garage sale" prices, but were selling at very reduced prices. We priced all of our sets at approximately one-third lower than the original catty price. Wheels were half off. I didn't sell bags of scrap, but I turned my scrap into die cut tags using my Sizzix and sold bags of 50 tags for 50 cents -- they went like mad! Just some ideas for how to calculate. We also posted signs that said No Negotiating - Prices are Final. Not a single person complained. Good Luck!
Jen, this sounds like cool and like something I really need to do. Can you tell me how you advertised your sale? Did you have a lot of people show up? How long was your sale? Thanks for any info.

Marla
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2007, 04:49 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Marla - We advertised in two local newspapers. We rented a Township Hall - fortunately because we're a resident of the township, we were able to rent it for free. I believe we advertised one week in advance. At the time, two of us were demonstrators - one with SU! and one with CTMH and one was a retired demo for SU!. We sent flyers to all of our customers and posted signs around town. We had a TON of people show up! I believe we started at 8:00 and closed at 2:00. We all made way more money than we anticipated. Plus, we had a lot of people that were friends of friends show up. I highly recommend it and am hoping to do it again either later this year or next. We each contributed a door prize, so for everyone that made a purchase, their name went into the drawing. We each contributed a refreshment for a refreshment table. It was really awesome!

Let me know if you'd like more info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2007, 05:44 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi, there!

Great thread! I love it when we come here looking for answers and others offer suggestions on what has worked for them, etc.

Just a note to those interested in using SCS to sell their retired stamps; please read the Buy/Sell/Trade (B/S/T) Tips & Guidelines and *then* post your list *and* your prices in the appropriate B/S/T forum.

Thanks!

Want to join the SCS Fan Club?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2007, 06:15 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My demo and her group hold an annual Stampin Up garage sale every July and they make TONS of money. They advertise it in local papers, pretty sure as a "CRAFT" sale, and always get lots of shoppers. And of course, all their customers calendar this date as well (my dh already knows he dare NOT plan a vacation over that date, lol). Generally, the stamps and accessories are priced from 30-50% off the retail, with each demo pricing hers as she chooses. I know I always spend over $100 and many others do as well, so yes, there is DEFINITELY a market, but be sure to advertise as craft sale, or perhaps even be more specific than that. Personally, I know I would circle any garage sale ad that had rubber stamps and supplies listed...

Anyhow, good luck with your sale and upcoming move. Let us know how both went!
Psalm 113:3

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2007, 06:17 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

P.S. I ALWAYS look for the retired sets, and especially the really, really old ones - I love them all. So, yes, there is a market for the retired ones as well.
Psalm 113:3

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2007, 06:27 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlittergalView Post
My demo and her group hold an annual Stampin Up garage sale every July and they make TONS of money. They advertise it in local papers, pretty sure as a "CRAFT" sale, and always get lots of shoppers. And of course, all their customers calendar this date as well (my dh already knows he dare NOT plan a vacation over that date, lol). Generally, the stamps and accessories are priced from 30-50% off the retail, with each demo pricing hers as she chooses. I know I always spend over $100 and many others do as well, so yes, there is DEFINITELY a market, but be sure to advertise as craft sale, or perhaps even be more specific than that. Personally, I know I would circle any garage sale ad that had rubber stamps and supplies listed...

Anyhow, good luck with your sale and upcoming move. Let us know how both went!

i agree and do the same...

i was so excited last weekend the ad said scrapbooking supplies! i only make cards but can use SB supplies as well. so i get there and 'the gal is not there yet' so i hit a couple others and some back and she is there!!!! handing out catalogs! i was a little peeved- i didn't say anything but i really thought the ad was misleading.

the ad said scrapbook supplies! not catalogs for scrapbook supplies!
Reply With Quote Likes