Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you reorganized your SU colors yet?

Ever since SU! announced their color renovation, I have wanted to reorganize my paper, ink, etc, but I'm not quite sure why I am so hesitant to do it. I am very excited about the change, and I'm not really sad about any of the retiring colors going away. So why haven't I done it?

Have you reorganized yours yet? I think I haven't cleaned house yet because I have no idea where I am going to put all my retiring ink pads, reinkers, markers, and matching brads. If you reorganized, what did you do with all the outcasts?

I'm anxious to see what everyone else has done.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'm going to sell off my old stuff after it retires. For now it's in a box:-) Helpful aren't I, LOL!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member

Last edited by Minders; 04-16-2010 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: typo:-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I have organized my pads and when I get time I will start on the paper. I have a plastic file box with my retired papers (in hanging folders and labeled). I purchased some of SU turquoise punch boxes and I keep my retired pads in those. Since there are so many this time, I may have to use photo boxes as well as I may run out of space!! I can't wait for the new colors and the new in-colors!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I reorganzied my colors already! I have them in order of the PDF file that went around. Then I took all the retired colors and grouped them by color. I love the old colors and will still use them. But, I am looking forward to the new colors too. I got my demo samples of the cardstock today and they are great! I made up some color comparison cards to show how the new colors compare to what's already available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Not totally, no. I keep my cardstocks in two file folder boxes...2 families in each bin. I pulled all the retiring colors and now one bin holds the retiring and the other the staying. Nothing's in any order yet...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did and tried to sell off my retired cardstock I haven't used. I ended up sending off to a SCS'er for the postage. I still have some ink pads and reinkers for sale. There were several colors I really was not using.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #7  

Well, I took the plunge. Or at least a dip! I just got done with all my ink pads, reinkers, markers, daubers, and brads. Now I just have to do my paper and scraps. I think I'll save them for tomorrow since it's past midnight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 01:02 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I have all my stamp pads in colours - ROYGBIV
My cardstock is all in seperate bags - all in the same order as the inks - ROYGBIV
My ribbons are all in little baggies, dumped in a big plastic baggie - but will reorganise this at some stage
My brads/eyelets are in their original containers, but dumped in a canvas basket with the 'other' brands of brads/eyelets etc

I tend to scrap and make cards by colours....and I'm not a demo, so don't have to keep them in any particular order.
Looking forward to some of the new colours though.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 04:38 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Karen, but I went with a ROYGBV scheme for paper and ink...all my embellies and ribbon are already organized that way and I love it.

I don't plan on buying all the new SU colors and so the new groupings don't make sense for me. In fact, I'm on a paper buying hiatus. Got WAYYYY too much of the stuff that's not being used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #10  

I think the reason I am so hesitant to redo everything is although I am a demo, I don't have many customers and have only done 1 workshop in 5+ years. I know I will still use all the outcasted colors, and having everything separated messes up my organization. But I have already done everything but my paper, so I guess I will finish that and see how it works out. I have always had everything organized in alpha order, but tried it ROYGBV last night. It didn't last for more than 5 minutes, and I had to redo it all to alphabetical! Ugh! I should have known!

I am thinking of organizing all my embellies in ROYGBV. That makes sense to me.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I feel better knowing I am not the only one in this situation!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Another related thread! you might find some ideas and support there as well GL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 09:30 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I reorganized my ink pads, mostly to make it easier on me to decide which reinkers and paper to stock up on. I'm happy with the reorganization now and I know it will help in the long run to buy exactly what I need and will use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 04:27 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Yep...I started the project the day it was posted. I have redone the papers, inks (both kinds), refills, ribbons, and I just have embellishments to go. Funny thing...I had many packages of paper that were unopened! I had bought the assorted packs, then gradually bought the individual colors and there were lots that never got used. Sad, I know. But at least I can clean house now. I love the new color families. And really and truly there are only 5 truly new colors...its all just rearranged!

I have my retiring colors packaged up by color. As soon as the embellies go in the bags, I intend to post them for trade...or on Craigslist. I kept some of the retiring colors that I love and created my own "families" for them. But the ones I wasn't using are going to go. Woo hoo!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 04:46 AM   #14  

I reorganized everything. All colors that are retiring I'll sell in groups, i.e., one color of paper with its matching (everything) ink pad, reinker, marker, colored pencil (if applicable), watercolor crayon, craft pad, and ribbon.

I thought that I'd really be into the Build-A-Bear stuff because it's so cute, but have only used the stuff once, if that. I'll probably group that together as well with the stamps, paper, die-cuts, etc., and sell that as well.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 05:21 AM   #15  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Nope. I haven't done it yet bc it's a big job and I have sports all weekend and a few projects to finish first... But I do plan to! I am actually looking forward to getting my retired in colors into a legit "spot" since they've been in a side basket. I have to say though that I won't be getting rid of any colors, just moving the retirees to a 'Boca'-like area of my craft room so I can pull them out of retirment should I need a specific shade that only they can fill. My bff and I always disagree on this topic. She is an "8 crayon" box person... I'm more of a "96 crayon" box person and was thrilled over the 127 color box. So even if I don't use them and let them dry rot, I'll keep all my colors!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 06:28 AM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
...I have to say though that I won't be getting rid of any colors, just moving the retirees to a 'Boca'-like area of my craft room so I can pull them out of retirment should I need a specific shade that only they can fill. My bff and I always disagree on this topic. She is an "8 crayon" box person... I'm more of a "96 crayon" box person and was thrilled over the 127 color box. So even if I don't use them and let them dry rot, I'll keep all my colors!
Bwaaahaaahaaa! I totally identify with the 127 color box! Just added all 24 Memento dew drops to my ink collection...didn't need them, just WANTED them, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 06:34 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I'm not a demo so I will keep all my stuff. I store all my pads in rainbow order so I won't rearrange all of those. But I have obsessed about the colors for 2 days straight (I just found out about the change) and have spent all my free time playing with my color swatches and organizing them on different rings and different orders. (really, I have spent *hours* doing this--I am so obsessive!)

Yesterday I separated all my papers out and re-sorted them by the new color families so they will be easy to find. I like keeping current papers separate so it is easy to see what needs to be replaced and what I can order more of if I am doing a large project and need multiple cards that are the same.

It also helped me see what I want to order more of before it's gone. Luckily, I just ordered the multipacks in each color so I know I have some of each color that is disc. Now I just need to fill in some of the colors I love and know I will want for large projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Default Sort of...

Yes, I've reorganized some of my SU! colored items.

Beginning with the stamp pads, I saved all of them but I put them into a different holder than the "current" ones. Since my favorite method of coloring is by watercolor using the reinkers and ink pads, that made sense for me.

After going through my cardstock, I put the colors I just couldn't give up (orchid opulence, apricot appeal, cameo coral, summer sun, dusty durango etc-- about 7-8 in all) in a cabinet; the current ones are in "in" boxes right by my desk. I did put ww and bb into a desk drawer so I can get to them very easily (without even turning) whenever I stamp! The rest of the cs I gave to my church for use by the church secretary or the children's SS classes.

I went through my brads, pitched the ones that are retired, and saved the rest. As I recall, I only had to pitch 3 colors. I then relabelled the containers.

As I went along, I reorganized everything by color (yellow/orange, green/blue, red/pink, neutrals). That was one of the reasons I started reorganizing so early; I wanted to see how that kind of organization would work for me.

So I guess my answer is: I saved a lot, just put it away; I gave away some where I know it will be used; and I pitched a little bit. I haven't begun on the ribbon yet (I still have ribbon from the last time they did away with some of their colors; Over the years, I've found designer papers from other companies to pair it with!)
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

I just finished organizing all my stuff to the current color families! DOH!
I am NOT reorganizing - I have gotten these colors and the families down after using them for five years, so I am sticking with them so I know how to find everything.

Part of me thinks the idea of a 'color family' no longer makes sense anyway as some colors have been moved from one family to another. I have everything arranged into the current "Bold Brights", "Earth Elements", "Rich Regals", "Soft Subtles", Neutrals (white, vanilla, kraft, black, greys) and "Other" - which holds all my retired and current in-colors from all the different years.

I am sticking with this, it works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default My Inks and Paper

I just reorganized my inks today. This is what I came up with, and I think it's going to work really well for me. I already had my paper organized by color, I don't know why I was holding back on the inks.
Attached Thumbnails
Have you reorganized your SU colors yet?-dscn0404.jpg   Have you reorganized your SU colors yet?-dscn0405.jpg   Have you reorganized your SU colors yet?-dscn0406.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default this is my paper

Can only do three at a time, so this is my paper.
Attached Thumbnails
Have you reorganized your SU colors yet?-dscn0407.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #22  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

FYI if anyone out there is in a "pitching" mood, please pitch my way! I'll pay shipping! You can hear me singing "I'm a hoarder and I don't care" (think Jimmy Crack Corn).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstamperView Post
I think the reason I am so hesitant to redo everything is although I am a demo, I don't have many customers and have only done 1 workshop in 5+ years. I know I will still use all the outcasted colors, and having everything separated messes up my organization. But I have already done everything but my paper, so I guess I will finish that and see how it works out. I have always had everything organized in alpha order, but tried it ROYGBV last night. It didn't last for more than 5 minutes, and I had to redo it all to alphabetical! Ugh! I should have known!

I am thinking of organizing all my embellies in ROYGBV. That makes sense to me.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I feel better knowing I am not the only one in this situation!
Would someone please tell me what ROYGBV means? I have racked my brain, but can't figure it out.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastersdegreeView Post
Would someone please tell me what ROYGBV means? I have racked my brain, but can't figure it out.
Rainbow order
Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet

My teeny, tiny, someday it might be a GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #25  

Received 275 Likes on 162 Posts

ROYGBIV is the acronym for Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet; the colors of the rainbow in order from one edge to the other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

I haven't pulled any retiring colors or reorganized yet. But with this change coming I now feel free to pull out colors that I just don't use and sell them off! I started out as a demo 7 years ago and quickly got ALL the colors in ink pads and paper.

I organized by color families to help me learn them and be able to talk about them with my customers. When the last color change came along I was still a demo and quickly pulled and sold off all retiring colors and bought all the new ones. Rearranged color families as directed. But there are a few colors I have just NEVER used!! And up until now I couldn't stand the thought of breaking up a color family and getting rid of one of them.

There are a few colors I will miss and will continue to use as long as I have the supplies. I am no longer a demo and I'm not going to stock up on anything. When it's gone it's gone. But OTHER colors, one's I have never used, or almost never used and don't really like all that much....they will be gone!! It's kind of a giddy feeling! :-)

I can't afford to buy all the colors to give myself complete families again. But I will buy what colors I LIKE and think I'll use when I can afford to. Don't know if I can reorganize to rainbow order or not....I think I'll have to keep a "family" arrangement and just live with some empty spaces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #27  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

I'm not a demo any longer so I have no plans to get rid of anything I'm using now. I'll use it till it's gone. I have always stored my paper by colors ROYGBV, as mentioned above (then alphabetically) -- not SU Color Families -- so that won't make any difference to me either.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by akstampmamaView Post
Rainbow order
Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet

Thanks! I was trying to make it some abbreviation about organizing.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

I think I may wait until I get all the new stuff so I can really get a feel about what I'm working with. Although I love playing with my stuff even if it just is organizing it and I can't wait!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2010, 08:07 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

I did my paper. It was pretty easy for me because I had a big storage tote that I had my in colors in. So I took out the ones that were coming back and put in the ones that were retiring. I still have to do my ink but am unsure how because I don't have enough space for the retiring colors. Ribbon and DSP aren't an issue becasue I keep them all together all the time, retired or not.

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

Does someone have a list of the SU colors in ROYGBV order? I will be doing this also but I would save some time if someone had a list already made up. I will be using both old and new colors as I am only a hobbyist and can't part with my old colors.

Just not enough time in the day to do
everything that I love to do
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Since i no longer intend to buy anything stampin up anymore the new colours wont really bother me of whats new and whats old and retired. i have decided all my stampin up stuff will be used up on workshops or for making handmade cards . so when the last sheet of cardstock is used i wont be buying anymore . The inkpads i will use up along with the reinkers guess they should last a while but i am buying another companies products now and love the quality of their inkpads so bye bye Strampin Up products a new page begins.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmolitorView Post
Does someone have a list of the SU colors in ROYGBV order? I will be doing this also but I would save some time if someone had a list already made up. I will be using both old and new colors as I am only a hobbyist and can't part with my old colors.
I would just do it visually. This is how I keep my offcuts/scraps, in baggies.
Reds, Oranges, Yellows, Greens, Blues, Violets.
I haven't organized my whole pieces of cardstock in this order though. I guess when I finally get some of the new colours I will have to decide whether to do that, since right now each colour family has a storage drawer. One thing I decided I have to do is continue with my ROYBGV reference pages for cardstock, ink, markers, etc because after two years I sometimes forget which name goes with a particular scrap of green or pink when I have In-colors to deal with.

Last edited by vanislandwoman; 07-15-2010 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: spelling correction
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #34  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts
Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmolitorView Post
I was hoping to find this as well. I organized my papers as best I could in ROYGBIV order, but decided not to stress too much if it's a little off. For instance, I put pinks before the reds and some of the reds confused me.
I made labels in the order that I chose, and the put my inkpads in that order. Once I label them, I'll be happy. I have to dmit that I was not up for memorizing a new organizational order. (I wasn't really that good at it to begin with.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 11:32 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Anyone know where I can find the link to the PDF file to help re-organize my SU cardstock?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennys mumView Post
I have all my stamp pads in colours - ROYGBIV
My cardstock is all in seperate bags - all in the same order as the inks - ROYGBIV
My ribbons are all in little baggies, dumped in a big plastic baggie - but will reorganise this at some stage
My brads/eyelets are in their original containers, but dumped in a canvas basket with the 'other' brands of brads/eyelets etc

I tend to scrap and make cards by colours....and I'm not a demo, so don't have to keep them in any particular order.
Looking forward to some of the new colours though.....
I'm sorry, I'm having a brain freeze but what is ROYGBIV?
I think I got the ,red, orange, yellow, green, blue, but then what the heck is the I and V?

Signed,
Color challenged.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMRobergeView Post
I'm sorry, I'm having a brain freeze but what is ROYGBIV?
I think I got the ,red, orange, yellow, green, blue, but then what the heck is the I and V?

Signed,
Color challenged.
Indigo and violet:-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

LOL...I just keep all mine in alphabetical order! So much easier to find!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes