Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-08-2004, 08:33 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glass ornaments and reinkers

I have tried to color glass ornaments with reinkers according to instructions from Kim's website. I seem to be having trouble swirling ink to cover evenly and wondered if anyone has tried and has any suggestions. I would love to have option of colored glass ornaments that would not chip to place bead covers. I would apprecitate any advice. Thanks. Sarah
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 09:34 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have not seen the website you referred to, but I have recently made some colored glass ornaments with reinkers. "Baronsmom," aka Suzanne, gave me the instructions.
I just squirted the reinker into a clear glass ornament, covered the hole with my finger, and shook it up. On a couple of them that were not coating well, I sprayed a TINY bit of water into the ornament to dilute the ink in order to make it a little more fluid.
Then, I poured some Dazzling Diamonds into the ornament and shook again, until the glitter entirely covered the inside walls. Very, very pretty! I even used 2-3 ink colors on a couple of them, and that looks nice, too.
Hope this helps...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 06:42 AM   #3  

When I did mine, since you can see where the ink is going, I just squirted the ink in and slowly rolled it around until the ornament was completely covered. Then I turned it upside down on a dixie cup to let the excess run out. When I tried shaking the ornament, I didn't get even coverage, and I air bubbles that were very hard to get rid of.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 06:51 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

We made these (my kids ;o) last Christmas. What we did was put a drop or 2 of reinker in the ornament, added a drop of water and swirled away. Then we added our dazzling diamonds... or other glitter. We did an orange one with the retired orange star glitter from the Halloween stack and it turned out real nice... Anyway, good luck. the kids loved doing these. this year we are doing the acetate ones.
blessings
Kristy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 06:58 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

Default ornaments and reinkers

This web site rocks. You are all so helpful and so knowledgeable. I will try suggestions. I have not been adding glitter as yet and possibly that will help the coating of the inside. [/quote]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 07:11 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Have those of you who have tried this posted your ornaments? I'd love to see what they look like!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 07:13 AM   #7  

Default Re: ornaments and reinkers

Quote:

Originally Posted by smgrimes
This web site rocks. You are all so helpful and so knowledgeable. I will try suggestions. I have not been adding glitter as yet and possibly that will help the coating of the inside.
[/quote]

Don't add the glitter until you have coated the inside of the ornament. It will just stick everything up. Also, let the excess drip out before adding glitter. But the glitter does help hide any imperfections like unevenly coated areas.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 07:15 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

When I tried this last year it seemed like all the glitter stuck to the ink & I couldn't get it to shake around. Any ideas why?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 07:25 AM   #9  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carebear530
When I tried this last year it seemed like all the glitter stuck to the ink & I couldn't get it to shake around. Any ideas why?
You may not have waited long enough, and the inside was too wet or stilled to full of ink. The ink will soak that glitter right up, and sometimes you end up with clumps of wet glitter.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 07:31 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I have heard - and tried successfully - that washing out the ornaments prior to adding the re-inkers is key. Last year a craft site (sorry I can't remember which one) said that you use a mixture of 1 cup warm water and 1 tablespoon of white vinegar, rinse and swish out your glass ornaments and let dry overnight. Something in the vinegar helps the ink to adhere to the ornament evenly.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 07:52 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for the tips! So if I understand I need to let the reinker dry before I put in the glitter? Boy I feel stupid. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 07:55 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

You may want to also just try using acrylic pants. They are cheaper than your reinkers and coat much nicer. I found the idea at www.familyfun.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 08:08 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't understand how the glitter sticks to the ink when it's dry....this just confuses the heck out of me (which actually isn't too hard to do...LOL)
I would imagine it would start to peel off inside the ball after a while since the ink is water-based. Is there a "sticking agent" in the ink that I just don't know about?? :oops:

Marjori Miller

Come stamp with me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 08:18 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I made some of these ornaments to sell at a craft show this year, and they looked so beautiful. All I did was rinse the glass balls out first with a water/bleach mixture and then let them dry thoroughly. Then I put in a few drops of the reinker, and slowly rotated the ball until the inside was completely covered. Then I turned the glass ball upside down on the same color ink pad as the reinker to let it drain out and reink my pad at the same time. That didn't take too long. Then I just dumped in some glitter, put my finger over the top, and shook. Dump out the extra glitter, if any, and let it dry completely. Then put the top back on, add a bow, and you are finished!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 11:56 AM   #15  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carebear530
Thanks for the tips! So if I understand I need to let the reinker dry before I put in the glitter? Boy I feel stupid. :oops:
No, you don't want the re-inker to dry, you just don't want too much of it inside your ornament, or it will run, and glob etc... And don't feel stupid. We all have to learn at some point, some of us have just learned by doing it wrong! :lol:

Wayshestamps gave excellent directions. I believe you use a water bleach mixture to keep the inside from mildewing & spotting etc... I don't think it necessarily helps the reinker stick better.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 03:10 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for the tips about cleaning the inside of the ornaments. That makes sense that some kind of coating occasionally prevents the reinker from sticking.
It sounds like some of you use more reinker than I do...I don't have excess that drains out. BUT, still find that it takes a LOT of glitter to cover the ornament. (I did some damage to my DD...was shocked that I used most of the jar! :shock: )
Water seems to be the key! I was surprised that even when I added water, the reinker still covered the glass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoni
You may want to also just try using acrylic pants. They are cheaper than your reinkers and coat much nicer. I found the idea at www.familyfun.com
I have done these, too. They are pretty, but the coverage is opaque. (Metallic paint is GORGEOUS! ) With the reinkers, you end up with transparent glass. If you add glitter, it then becomes opaque, but the clear (DD-type) glitter takes on the color(s) of the reinker(s).

AND...I just learned about that Family Fun website from another thread a couple nights ago...Great site! The recipes are wonderful. If you haven't checked out that site, you may want to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 04:16 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Where do y'all get your inks for the ornaments. I found some of Dee Gruenig's Rainbow Inks, but the were kind of pricey (6 small bottles for 15.99). Have you gotten them from SU or some place like Michael's or AC Moore?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 04:57 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

Here's what I learned last year when I made a bunch of these, and I still have some of them and they still look great a year later.
The tip I learned was to just rinse out the glass ball with water, dump water out, and then add the re-inker. Having the ball wet first helps the ink to spread around better. Then, as other posters have said, drain out the excess ink, dump in the glitter and VERY QUICKLY shake the glitter around so it doesn't have time to clump in any of the ink.

Claudia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 06:29 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

So will any glitter work? How about the pearl ex bulbs? would you use it the same way?

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 06:53 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I tried this and ended up with a terrible mess. Might be because my reinkers were pretty old!

Bobbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 06:54 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pearl Ex will work too. Who ever makes pearl ex has instructions to make an ornament on their website.

On LATE night I was wanting to try out the pearl ex ornament and didn't have the clear varnish that they recommend to coat the ornament with to get the pearl ex to stick. In a pinch I put hairspray in the bulb and it worked :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 10:52 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by needsmorestamps!
Pearl Ex will work too. Who ever makes pearl ex has instructions to make an ornament on their website.

On LATE night I was wanting to try out the pearl ex ornament and didn't have the clear varnish that they recommend to coat the ornament with to get the pearl ex to stick. In a pinch I put hairspray in the bulb and it worked :shock:

NEAT idea!

Bobbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2004, 10:52 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by needsmorestamps!

NEAT idea!

Bobbie
Reply With Quote Likes