Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting married and desperately need help designing my invitation

I have to make 100 wedding invitations for my upcoming wedding and I dont' know if I have lost my creative imagination or muse but I cannot come up with anything at this point. my colors are white and lavender and I have to make so many of them I want them to be simple but elegant. If any of you have made cards for weddings or have some that could pass for wedding invites, please post pics of them if you don't mind so I can get some ideas. Thanks so much, I really need my stamping friends help. DeAnna
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

My son received a wedding invitation a couple of years ago, and it was handmade. It was made with black cardstock, and cut and folded to look like a mans tuxedo jacket. They did a little white insert for the shirt..and a little piece of colored paper to put inside the breast pocket, using what I presume was a color from the girls dresses, or whatever color themed the wedding was. I don't have a picture, because we didn't keep it, but it was very clever. Maybe you can find a card or something like that if you google it. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

HERE is one that is really simple and pretty to make.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Even more HERE in the SCS gallery.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. I saw some that I really love and I'm also looking through the gallery for wedding cards. I need to make bridal shower cards too or help my friend come up with something easy so I'm getting some great ideas. Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Here is one I made:
{the lakeshore stamper}: Wedding Invitations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Last year I made 100 invites for my BFF. The invites themselves were on shimmer CS, with a chocolate CS border; in between the chocolate border and the shimmer was a piece of acetate that had been stamped randomly with a flourish. Text for the invite was generated on the computer (sized to have 4 invites/8.5 x 11 CS sheet). I made a "package" that opened up to reveal the invite in the middle, and a pocket on the right hand side to hold the reception information, driving directions, etc. The "package was crafted from some 12 x 12 pearlized CS from Bazill. Folded dimension was 5 x 7, held with a wide bow. Since the cards were being hand-cancelled anyway, the postage was just the usual extra for hand-cancellation.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I made my own invitations for my wedding back in 2006. What I found most helpful was looking at the invitation sites and picking out styles I liked best. By that time I already had an idea in mind of what the "theme" of our wedding would be, or the style rather.

So I looked at the invites I had favourited, tried to see common themes, then designed our invite using my favourite parts.

Best advice is keep it clean and simple and classy. Then you won't get overwhelmed. Just a few simple touches can really make all the difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Look through books at stationary stores to see what's "in" and what grabs you. To keep it simpler to make and to keep costs down, try ivory or white with one accent color. Don't feel that everything has to be match-y match-y. If the color you choose for the invitations is not the same you end up using for cocktail napkins who will notice? Post what you make, please!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #10  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is one I have saved in my faves in case anyone ever asks me to make invites. I think it would look great in any colors
Pear Espresso Wedding Invitation by krissiev - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I'm working on my fourth and fifth family/friends wedding this year. For my daughter's wedding last year, I created pocket invitations (sorry, I'm so new I haven't gotten anything uploaded---some time soon, though!) Her colors were chocolate brown and sage green. So invitations, wedding program, rehearsal cards (that her new m-i-l created!), and even the thank yous were all in the same color scheme. We used the SU Wedding Sweet stamp set. We had SOOO many compliments...even the printers asked for copies to display! I used Action Envelope Co. for the envelopes. They were prompt and great to work with. They have all types of styles and colors. We wanted the traditional inner/outer envelopes and they had those.
You need to come up with your design first. I usually make about five different samples--all using various techniques, stamps, etc. Then we bring it down to two...take a look at how it all comes together...maybe you need to combine and/or change out some of the techniques. Then I make the final card. That's where your "List" comes in handy. You need to determine all the supplies you'll need and multiply it out by your card invitation numbers.
Then gather your pals together--some will be more experienced in card making, others not so much. So have a "how-to" sheet available for the novices. We set up at a couple different tables and did it "assembly line"--one person doing the same task/technique for all the cards. We brought in food and had a great time doing it together.

Good luck!! And remember--inspiration can come not only from wedding cards, but also focus on what your own personal style preferences are!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I made my wedding invitations last year -- also 100 of them -- and I used the big flourish in the SU Baroque Motifs set. My colors were a soft green (kind of like a sage -- almost exactly matched Certainly Celery ink) and cream and I had pocket invitations. I stamped the image using the bleach technique on the sage pockets and then with Certainly Celery ink on the cream insert with the text. They came out gorgeous. I don't have an image uploaded, sorry. But the bleach technique could look great on lavender...

I bought my paper at Paper Presentation www.paperpresentation.com in NYC. they've got a catalog on their web site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Here's a set I made for a friend's wedding:
Big Shot Wedding Invites by Beedubya - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

This could be cute too: Always Bride and Groom #2 by Beedubya at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I made about 170 invites and reply cards for my wedding last year. I did super simple since I had to make so many! I did get them printed at a print shop and had them cut all my paper down as well. I didn't want any fussy folds or anything so I simply did a sheet of CS cut in half, that way I got 2 invites per sheet. Again, they were SUPER simple but I think they turned out fun yet elegant.
Attached Thumbnails
Getting married and desperately need help designing my invitation-img_0005meb.jpg   Getting married and desperately need help designing my invitation-img_0006meb.jpg   Getting married and desperately need help designing my invitation-img_0007meb.jpg  

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
I made about 170 invites and reply cards for my wedding last year. I did super simple since I had to make so many! I did get them printed at a print shop and had them cut all my paper down as well. I didn't want any fussy folds or anything so I simply did a sheet of CS cut in half, that way I got 2 invites per sheet. Again, they were SUPER simple but I think they turned out fun yet elegant.
Wow, those are just gorgeous!! Love them

To the OP, I think the idea of looking at some current available invitations to get an idea of what you like and the direction you want to go.I really wish I had been into card making when I was getting married. I'm sure you'll have fun

Visit my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I made my own invitations too. About 150 of them but I don't have a picture handy right now. Don't forget to keep in mind how much they will cost to mail.
Reply With Quote Likes