Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #121
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaegea View Post
I love it all..and use it all...Have box...oh good grief...a big box of punches! Got CB as a gift a few years ago ...LOVE-LOVE it... and just added a bigshot. No mistake... a CB is WONDERFUL...light and easy to haul around and love that it is compact and folds up. The BS DOES need more space but is a more solid and stable tool. The big thick dies work so well in the BS, and although there are videos saying they will work in the CB...there is the risk of it breaking. I have one of the older electronic cricuts...but am not using it as much as I should. Still have a learning curve to conquer which in fact that is not getting shorter because the other die cut methods are so easy to get my hands on and "do it" right when I want it "done."

An aside factor for me also: My family is scattered all over the states so it is nice to have extra pieces of equipment when sisters or daughters are visiting and we want to work on things as a family.. (I am vowing however; to learn to use the cricut better and effectively.) I saw the electronic cutters can also be used to emboss by turning the blade and holder upside down!! None of this stuff is going to be obsolete anytime soon..imho!
Did you try the Big dies with CB new long plates?
Old 09-13-2012, 05:06 AM   #122
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaxsix View Post
There are some things still that a punch is better for IMHO: punching after stamping a sentiment to get it lined up just right (I know folks use adhesives to keep their dies in place, but it is so much simpler to just flip the punch over and line it up) and for multiples of things it is faster to hand punch rather than make several passes through with the machine (of course, I don't have anything electronic so that may not be as valid....perhaps you can set it up to cut several of the same on one pass), I also like the way I can alter things by re-punching or can save paper by only punching the half I need (also possible with die cutting, but not as simply).
They are a big pain for shipping though as they weigh a ton and of course the storage is an issue!
I agree with the love of punches and there is a measure of excitement that comes from every little punch you do! Yes the electronic cutters do cut multiples.
I do like variety and do not like to write off anything that offers so much enjoyment!!
Old 09-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #123
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink-princess View Post
Hey Paige!

LOL funny when you read something on here that you feel exactly the same about... it's nice to be able to talk to someone who completely gets where you are coming from LOL!

I can give you a totally honest opinion on the CB and BS as I have owned both!

My own personal opinion is that I prefer the BS... I don't have loads of space so CB was good option for me and so I bought it when it first came out... thats where I started off and I was happy with it until I played with a BS, I used to work in a craft shop and used to demo the machines and it didn't take me long before I made the change!

I just feel the BS embosses better, I have embossed the same folder in both machine and the BS the embossing is more raised which I like.. I also feel that it is a sturdier machine. I found the CB used to move around when turning the handle even though there was the sucker bit on the bottom.. the BS it doesn't move.

The other thing that I used to point out with the two machines is that if you have kids the flaps on the CB could hurt a childs finger if they were messing with the machine.

Plus with the BS you can use the larger BigZ XL dies which I love!

Then of course it is pink with bling... that I have to admit helped!!

So that's my honest opinion.. if you don't care to emboss or use the larger dies then CB is fine...
I was so frustrated because yesterday I wrote back to you and somehow I lost it!! Technology
Not fair for you to wave the Pink Bling thing in my face...I wanted it for that mostly. lol But in reality I didn't have room for it. It makes sense that BS would feel sturdy because it takes up so much foot space and is really heavy. I have health issues that doesn't make that possible for me to have to move it all the time. I have to say even though I stabilize CB with my other hand , it is still pretty easy to use. I can't find fault with it. Did you ever try the long plates in your CB for the Big dies?
Old 09-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #124
Glitter Queen

No... but I have some of the longer embossing folders and thin dies that are longer. I have not needed the longer plates because Ive been able to carefully shimmy them through and reverse when I need to do a slightly longer piece...( Not often since I'm more about cards than scrapbook pages.)
Amazon had the BS really cheap...and I have the "prime" membership which gives me 2 day free shipping. Also...discover often has promotions on Amazon and you get another 5% back using that. SECRET- I actually use my cashback bonus a LOT for stuff like this....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #125
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by paigewithpanache View Post
I was so frustrated because yesterday I wrote back to you and somehow I lost it!! Technology
Not fair for you to wave the Pink Bling thing in my face...I wanted it for that mostly. lol But in reality I didn't have room for it. It makes sense that BS would feel sturdy because it takes up so much foot space and is really heavy. I have health issues that doesn't make that possible for me to have to move it all the time. I have to say even though I stabilize CB with my other hand , it is still pretty easy to use. I can't find fault with it. Did you ever try the long plates in your CB for the Big dies?
I feel so out of it as the pink and bling are a turn off for me and seems to be a drawing point for so many. Since it would have to sit out, I would want it to look more utilitarian. If I ever change from the Bug (which I hate the color of as well) I would get mine from SU as it is black and grey.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #126
Compulsive Stamper

I have arthritis in my hands and can't use the traditional punches. I purchased a Silhouette cameo in January and love it. I have created several templates to cut out shaped cards to my creative ideas. I have also converted my simple templates that I use to cut out by hand, to silhouette files. For example, I use to cut out squares, score them, and cut them "just so" and fold them into my boxes. It was a very simple thing, but I always had edges that were a little off. Now everything lines up perfectly and I'm not causing my arthritis to flare up. On the other hand, I thing I will be purchasing a spellbinder in the next year. Love the label shapes with embossing and the matching stamps!! Love, love them. I don't think I would purchase more than 2-4 sets of dies though, but I would use them constantly. If you have arthritis and tend to cut out templates, and don't have either a die cut machine or electronic cutter, I'd recommend the electronic cutter first. I even use it to cut my background papers for my cards because for some reason, I can't get the layered look pieces cut exactly and they look messy.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #127
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
No... but I have some of the longer embossing folders and thin dies that are longer. I have not needed the longer plates because Ive been able to carefully shimmy them through and reverse when I need to do a slightly longer piece...( Not often since I'm more about cards than scrapbook pages.)
Amazon had the BS really cheap...and I have the "prime" membership which gives me 2 day free shipping. Also...discover often has promotions on Amazon and you get another 5% back using that. SECRET- I actually use my cashback bonus a LOT for stuff like this....
Smart girl! Why waste those valuable sales and discounts on anything but crafts!! ROFL ( I mean that seriously hee hee ) .
I tossed the idea of getting Amazon Prime but never did. It may be worth it for me though since I live in a desert wasteland of NOTHING for good supplys. Something to think about.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #128
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdmsulvt View Post
I have arthritis in my hands and can't use the traditional punches. I purchased a Silhouette cameo in January and love it. I have created several templates to cut out shaped cards to my creative ideas. I have also converted my simple templates that I use to cut out by hand, to silhouette files. For example, I use to cut out squares, score them, and cut them "just so" and fold them into my boxes. It was a very simple thing, but I always had edges that were a little off. Now everything lines up perfectly and I'm not causing my arthritis to flare up. On the other hand, I thing I will be purchasing a spellbinder in the next year. Love the label shapes with embossing and the matching stamps!! Love, love them. I don't think I would purchase more than 2-4 sets of dies though, but I would use them constantly. If you have arthritis and tend to cut out templates, and don't have either a die cut machine or electronic cutter, I'd recommend the electronic cutter first. I even use it to cut my background papers for my cards because for some reason, I can't get the layered look pieces cut exactly and they look messy.
Your not helping either! Now I will want a Cameo again!! lol
Sounds like a lot of fun!!
As far as the punches, mine seam to work pretty easy and I use the heel of my hands for the most part, but if I have trouble, I call my daughter to the rescue.
You will love the Spellbinders!! I started out with the Labels 18 because I felt it's a good basic first. I like to stamp an image an then color with my Copic markers. So much fun!! And the Copic markers I feel are very arthritic compatible because caps are easy to remove and since you use a light hand ,I just let the marker rest in my hand and they are very easy to use.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #129
Insane Embellisher

I am visiting in Calgary, and so far all I have purchased is die cuts. there seem to be more companies coming out with them. I had a demo on Impression Obsession die cuts and they cut beautifully. They have several really nice Christmas ones.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #130
Stazon Splitcoast

So far I am LOVING the Silhouette Cameo. It is real easy to set up and get going with cutting right out of the box. I love setting it to cut 9 or 12 of something and then doing something else while they are being cut. Easy to get accustomed to!..Spent one whole evening shopping in the Silhouette store for cut files...Who knew that there could be 71 pages of flourishes...lol.
blessings.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #131
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtchick View Post
So far I am LOVING the Silhouette Cameo. It is real easy to set up and get going with cutting right out of the box. I love setting it to cut 9 or 12 of something and then doing something else while they are being cut. Easy to get accustomed to!..Spent one whole evening shopping in the Silhouette store for cut files...Who knew that there could be 71 pages of flourishes...lol.
blessings.
That is really nice! I have battle over computer here at my house so I need something that has a large cartridge library so I don't have to use computer if it isn't handy.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #132
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdmsulvt View Post
I have arthritis in my hands and can't use the traditional punches. I purchased a Silhouette cameo in January and love it. I have created several templates to cut out shaped cards to my creative ideas. I have also converted my simple templates that I use to cut out by hand, to silhouette files. For example, I use to cut out squares, score them, and cut them "just so" and fold them into my boxes. It was a very simple thing, but I always had edges that were a little off. Now everything lines up perfectly and I'm not causing my arthritis to flare up.
Template making is my favorite thing about electronic die cutters. When I first got into electronic die cutters I wanted it for two things to cut my digital work that I design and I wanted to make templates. I also make a lot of stencils. I use acetate for my stencil making so I can keep re-using the stencils. It has saved me so much money.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 09-14-2012, 12:41 AM   #133
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
lol Yes Why it that!!? lol I am drawn to Pink and bling! And that is a very comical thing because overall , I am a simple person! I was laughing telling my friend one day, I need to seriously go shopping and update clothing and shoes, but whenever I have spending money, guess what I want to spend it on hee hee . When you were describing your BS I was so jealous!! haha Sounds like me!
Maybe I can transform my CB to a Pink Blossom one with some vinyl and I can be happy! Thank you for sharing about your two models and a good laugh .
I am a really simple person too but if it's Pink & Bling I am like Pavlov's dog, ROFL! I went clothes shopping Wednesday. I really needed too my jeans had holes in them. I am not a teenager anymore so not a good look but thank gosh I am tiny so a teenager can have my holey jeans, lol. Now, they won't have to spend $80 on jeans and it can go for the new iPod. My DH also took me to Branson for fun. We live only 35 minutes away straight shot down the highway. Where did I have to stop in Branson? I went to Michael's, lol. I bought bling at Michael's. I knew then I have a bling addiction and art supply addiction that I just have to shop at Micheal's in Branson. Like it's going to be any different than my Michael's I usually shop at, lol. One of my friends told me that Michael's had Anya stamps. Apparently she bought them all because there were no Anya stamps there. She is a member over here so I am pointing fingers, lol.

I was thinking about all the Pink die cut machines out on the market. I came up with the Pink Cricut Expressions. You can make your Imagine & E2 pink by buying the side pieces and snapping them on. The other pink E cutters on the market are the Gazelle & Ecraft. Manual Pink cutters are the Big Shot & the limited edition Cuttlebug Version 1.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #134
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
That is really nice! I have battle over computer here at my house so I need something that has a large cartridge library so I don't have to use computer if it isn't handy.
Here's something to consider. As cheap as a basic laptop goes for these days, wouldn't it be more economical to buy a laptop instead of a bunch of cartridges? A $300 bare bones laptop is the equivalent of four of the higher end $75 Cricut cartridges.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #135
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharnish View Post
Here's something to consider. As cheap as a basic laptop goes for these days, wouldn't it be more economical to buy a laptop instead of a bunch of cartridges? A $300 bare bones laptop is the equivalent of four of the higher end $75 Cricut cartridges.
That's pretty much what I finally decided. I was lucky to get a really good lenovo laptop for $299 but it can be done with just about any. Heck, I used to use a netbook for it.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 09-15-2012, 03:22 AM   #136
Gabfest Goddess

I have a Cricut Expresson and several cartridges and I finally put it in the closet because I didn't enjoy it one bit. Yes, it can save time when doing multiples but the time I wasted getting the setting right for various paper, futzing around with software, and settings I could have cut all the item out with my BS.

I'm going to stick with my BS because I get great results without the hastle. Yes, storage is an issue with the dies, but the Expression took up a lot of my counter space. I work on a PC all day and I do papercrafting to get away from the PC.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #137
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharnish View Post
Not for me , -Been there done that with the cheap junk computers thinking I'm getting a good deal and ends up being more money in long run.
Additionally, I would never pay $75 for an average cartridge Unless I really felt it was worth the money(there is one that I would be willing to pay more for it because it has nearly everything you would want wrapped up into one cartridge). And if I do not plan on using 80% or more of the cartridge it isn't going in my library. You can buy cartridges for about $20or $30 and they have such a large selection that if I were to go in and buy those images 1 at a time I would spend more than that. So I wouldn't look at buying another computer at saving me money.
Thanks for the idea though.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:21 AM   #138
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
That's pretty much what I finally decided. I was lucky to get a really good lenovo laptop for $299 but it can be done with just about any. Heck, I used to use a netbook for it.
Was the netbook actually able to handle linking your machine and doing what you can do on a laptop??
I like the sound of that because it would be even more handy and portable than a laptop. Hmmm??? Only thing is size of screen may make it hard to see as well.
Are the screens about 10" on those?
Old 09-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #139
Glitter Queen

I've also never pd. more than$30 for a cartridge and agree wholeheartedly with you Paige...if it does not have a lot of images I want, I really don't need it. Also...am not of a mind to go with a cheap computer. We are MAC people and there is no cheap way to go MAC.

A little off topic: BUT- Had a sewing machine sales person tell me to do the same thing in order to upgrade my old-old machine to one with embroidery capability. Most embroidery machines will not work with MAC. (HA-HA...I DID find a brand that uses a USB stick!!!) and LOVE that solution....and my machine. Images are downloaded and stored on USB sticks....which are organized and dedicated to my embroidery machine! The designs are downloaded in a format (PES) that a MAC reads instead of on the computer!!! And I really like that.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:52 AM   #140
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I've also never pd. more than$30 for a cartridge and agree wholeheartedly with you Paige...if it does not have a lot of images I want, I really don't need it. Also...am not of a mind to go with a cheap computer. We are MAC people and there is no cheap way to go MAC.

A little off topic: BUT- Had a sewing machine sales person tell me to do the same thing in order to upgrade my old-old machine to one with embroidery capability. Most embroidery machines will not work with MAC. (HA-HA...I DID find a brand that uses a USB stick!!!) and LOVE that solution....and my machine. Images are downloaded and stored on USB sticks....which are organized and dedicated to my embroidery machine! The designs are downloaded in a format (PES) that a MAC reads instead of on the computer!!! And I really like that.
Lol This whole ecutter machine talk is really off subject anyway from topic of thread-sorry everybody! Supposed to be about punches and dies :0 - squirrel ...
Thanks for the tip on the Mac and the stick. I do not have a Mac yet but hope to purchase one. My mom has had one for a few years and it is well worth the money and saving of aggravation!!
Old 09-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #141
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
I am a really simple person too but if it's Pink & Bling I am like Pavlov's dog, ROFL! I went clothes shopping Wednesday. I really needed too my jeans had holes in them. I am not a teenager anymore so not a good look but thank gosh I am tiny so a teenager can have my holey jeans, lol. Now, they won't have to spend $80 on jeans and it can go for the new iPod. My DH also took me to Branson for fun. We live only 35 minutes away straight shot down the highway. Where did I have to stop in Branson? I went to Michael's, lol. I bought bling at Michael's. I knew then I have a bling addiction and art supply addiction that I just have to shop at Micheal's in Branson. Like it's going to be any different than my Michael's I usually shop at, lol. One of my friends told me that Michael's had Anya stamps. Apparently she bought them all because there were no Anya stamps there. She is a member over here so I am pointing fingers, lol.

I was thinking about all the Pink die cut machines out on the market. I came up with the Pink Cricut Expressions. You can make your Imagine & E2 pink by buying the side pieces and snapping them on. The other pink E cutters on the market are the Gazelle & Ecraft. Manual Pink cutters are the Big Shot & the limited edition Cuttlebug Version 1.
Lol my husband and I joke about those holy jeans They certainly aren't religious because they show to much!! Plus before spending $80 for jeans that already look worn, your local Goodwill has a wide selection . lol can you tell we went through the teen girl thing .
I want the Pink too!! But the one I bought that is used from ebay is the Create so I can't do the ends. But so far this machine is working out GREAT!! At first when I saw dials for pressure, speed and size ,I thought O NO WHAT DID I DO!! But it is so simple I couldn't believe it!! Nothing like making a mountain out of a mole hill haha. Once I design image on virual mat and select cut, it tells you what your settings should be. So easy!! { My daughter loved my excitement dance lol }
Old 09-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #142
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Was the netbook actually able to handle linking your machine and doing what you can do on a laptop??
I like the sound of that because it would be even more handy and portable than a laptop. Hmmm??? Only thing is size of screen may make it hard to see as well.
Are the screens about 10" on those?
memory and power wise, it was fine. I had no trouble at all. However, the screen is too small to work on. In design studio (which I had to have to update firmware at the time) part of the interface was off the screen and I had to do some settings gymnastics to get it to show. Make the Cut worked fine but it's really difficult to create anything with that small of a screen. So I would make whatever I wanted to cut on my desktop and then transfer the file to the netbook and just use it to cut the file.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #143
Cardstock Collector

Check that eBosser out. Seems the way to go for those of us who like cloth & paper. It's called Craftwell - eBosser - Electronic Die Cutting and Embossing System. I like getting basic shapes from Sizzix & Go in multiple stacks. If I commit, will let you know how it is!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:58 AM   #144
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Not for me , -Been there done that with the cheap junk computers thinking I'm getting a good deal and ends up being more money in long run.
Additionally, I would never pay $75 for an average cartridge Unless I really felt it was worth the money(there is one that I would be willing to pay more for it because it has nearly everything you would want wrapped up into one cartridge). And if I do not plan on using 80% or more of the cartridge it isn't going in my library. You can buy cartridges for about $20or $30 and they have such a large selection that if I were to go in and buy those images 1 at a time I would spend more than that. So I wouldn't look at buying another computer at saving me money.
Thanks for the idea though.
Paige, your a girl after my own heart. I don't buy cheap computers either. I am a computer geek. My "babies" are in the $1,000 plus range. I am frugal girl but not when it comes to computers.

The only time I ever paid full price for a cartridge was when the Cricut first came out and my enabling DH bought me four at full price. I have a cartridge library of over 100 cartridges and have only paid for maybe half in the six years I have owned it. The rest I got for free or gifts. The ones I did buy only averaged around $20.

My DH & I finished organizing his new work area today. Finally after months and months got our die cutters organized. We ended up packing them all away except the Cameo & Cuttlebug. I really loved my Cricut's. I always will have a soft spot for them but the direction where the company is going and the direction I am going as an artist don't sync any more. Maybe, again in a few months. I realized I haven't bought a cartridge in months. I keep making my own files. I was telling my DH about this thread. You girls really helped me with this thread. I even wrote a list of what I was doing with my die cutters. I told my DH that I would like to expand my Nestie's collection. I told my friends who I make things for I want to take a break. I was very surprised when they were all supportive. I think they were giving me & my DH things to do to keep our mind occupied. This has been a trying year. My other friend who does automotive vinyl is going to buy the large Roland and expand his business. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:00 AM   #145
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I always say if you can get it to work on Linux you can get it to work on Mac. I use my embroidery files in Linux the same exact way you do for the Mac. I use PES too.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:34 AM   #146
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Paige, your a girl after my own heart. I don't buy cheap computers either. I am a computer geek. My "babies" are in the $1,000 plus range. I am frugal girl but not when it comes to computers.

The only time I ever paid full price for a cartridge was when the Cricut first came out and my enabling DH bought me four at full price. I have a cartridge library of over 100 cartridges and have only paid for maybe half in the six years I have owned it. The rest I got for free or gifts. The ones I did buy only averaged around $20.

My DH & I finished organizing his new work area today. Finally after months and months got our die cutters organized. We ended up packing them all away except the Cameo & Cuttlebug. I really loved my Cricut's. I always will have a soft spot for them but the direction where the company is going and the direction I am going as an artist don't sync any more. Maybe, again in a few months. I realized I haven't bought a cartridge in months. I keep making my own files. I was telling my DH about this thread. You girls really helped me with this thread. I even wrote a list of what I was doing with my die cutters. I told my DH that I would like to expand my Nestie's collection. I told my friends who I make things for I want to take a break. I was very surprised when they were all supportive. I think they were giving me & my DH things to do to keep our mind occupied. This has been a trying year. My other friend who does automotive vinyl is going to buy the large Roland and expand his business. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
Wow that is amazing! Good for you to take control and do what you know makes practical sense. Every now and then we have to 'SPRING CLEAN' our lives too.
Thread has helped me a lot too with choices and thanks to SCS for having this available!
I have to say, I could barely read your post when I read 100!! lol Like a kid in a candy store. I really do love Cricuts cartridges. Hard to get past that and really wish the company could work out their glitches.....ok are you ready for this???Better sit down for this one...I have one whole cartridge!!!! lol I know, whimpy haha, Oh and the free basic one in the Cricut Craft room....I wanted to make sure my machine was going to work properly before I spent much. Plus if I want to stay in that line or not. I also really like how easy it is to use , but disappointed update prevents it from working as a stand alone.
I LOVE those Nesties too!! I use my CB for all the dies and embossing folders ...it's my little buddy . I do not want to get away from stamping, alcohol markers, inks ( esp distress ) and my large assortment Perfect Pearls and embossing powders. I love getting in there and getting dirty so to speak. I can go in with a thought of how I want to make something, but once the creative juices kick in , I usually end up putting more into it than planned. But I can't help it. Maybe somebody like me got a hold of Lady GaGa rofl JK JK. Someday word may get out her glow is a dust of Perfect Pearls and her Mascara is Memento Ink so it doesn't bleed while applying alcohol markers for her eye makeup. haha
Old 09-16-2012, 04:56 AM   #147
Glitter Queen

Red face hands on...

You ladies make me feel better about my love of the embossing folders, individual die plates and punches ...you know...all the hands on stuff. That is what really appeals to me with this "sport"! Wish I could keep it neater. Often do take a time out after a big cloud of creativity begins to dissipate...and give a real effort to restoring order and assess what needs to be more handy in that reorg process.........but the in between can be a challenge!!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 05:43 AM   #148
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
You ladies make me feel better about my love of the embossing folders, individual die plates and punches ...you know...all the hands on stuff. That is what really appeals to me with this "sport"! Wish I could keep it neater. Often do take a time out after a big cloud of creativity begins to dissipate...and give a real effort to restoring order and assess what needs to be more handy in that reorg process.........but the in between can be a challenge!!!!
I completely agree! Last Sun. I disected my craft area and repacked to where I thought it would be more efficient. haha The never ending battle!
Talking about embossing folders, I love them too! This summer I bought one of those pretty decorative box ( I call it a hat box but I think store refers to them as gift boxes) from Dollar General. Its Pink and Beautiful Since then, I have seen a lot of stores carry them. and I use mine for organizing my embossing folders and die cutters for storage. I need another one for organizing my nesties too.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #149
Glitter Queen

Question organizing

We should start an organization thread, altho' there probably already is one or more. For embossing folders I recently bought 2 Darice "notebooks" made for this. They're called embossing folder organizers and you can find them by using google...but I was able to get for half price with coupons at AC Moore and they work GREAT for the A2 embossing folders. The things came with no instruction...and it took me a minute ...or two...to figure out you only put ONE flap of the A2 embossing folder in the pocket and let the other flap rest on the outside of the pocket. Each page holds 4 folders and I think there are slots for about 40 folders. I organized by season and sentiment and it's easy to flip through to find what I need. Want to do TABS to help me with that. I tried boxes before that but never felt it was organized...but they were neatly "stored."Looking at Cd cases or those CD albums for the car with pockets for the thinner dies. I think our dollar store has them. Also...if you like the decorative boxes...I've noticed the craft stores, in particular AC Moore have the photo boxes on sale periodically 5 for $10! I find they are great for pastels, markers, crayons, acrylic paint and stamp pads. They stack nicely and there is a slot to put a tag on them with the contents.
Really need a good system for the punches now...I met a woman who bought a metal tool cart for hers because they are so heavy... don't think that will fly in my house though...my DH is a sweetheart...but not a real fan of all this stuff!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #150
Glitter Queen

Default Organizing Ideas

Did a quick forum search and could not find a thread that was specific and dedicated to organization so I've opened a thread and it's called Organizing Ideas.

Hope there will be some activity and good sharing.....soon!
kg
Old 09-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #151
Forum Fanatic

I agree about the cheap computers but if you really look and are patient, you can get a good one for a great price. Like I said, my Lenovo (which has better specs than our $700 sony Vaio laptop) was a killer deal. We only paid about $400 for our toshiba satellite (also with better specs than the sony). But the bottom line is that I would buy a POS computer to work with the silhouette or other machine before I would drop another penny in Provo Crafts' greedy pockets. I won't buy anything PC. Not even cuttlebug folders and I love embossing folders (thankfully other companies make folders now too).

Old 09-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #152
Crimping Master

Quote:
Did a quick forum search and could not find a thread that was specific and dedicated to organization so I've opened a thread and it's called Organizing Ideas.

Hope there will be some activity and good sharing.....soon!
kg
I will have to check this out. I LOVE organizing and may even be able to contribute! Thanks for starting this. I'm sure it will be helpful for all.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:13 AM   #153
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Wow that is amazing! Good for you to take control and do what you know makes practical sense. Every now and then we have to 'SPRING CLEAN' our lives too.
Thread has helped me a lot too with choices and thanks to SCS for having this available!
I have to say, I could barely read your post when I read 100!! lol Like a kid in a candy store. I really do love Cricuts cartridges. Hard to get past that and really wish the company could work out their glitches.....ok are you ready for this???Better sit down for this one...I have one whole cartridge!!!! lol I know, whimpy haha, Oh and the free basic one in the Cricut Craft room....I wanted to make sure my machine was going to work properly before I spent much. Plus if I want to stay in that line or not. I also really like how easy it is to use , but disappointed update prevents it from working as a stand alone.

I LOVE those Nesties too!! I use my CB for all the dies and embossing folders ...it's my little buddy . I do not want to get away from stamping, alcohol markers, inks ( esp distress ) and my large assortment Perfect Pearls and embossing powders. I love getting in there and getting dirty so to speak. I can go in with a thought of how I want to make something, but once the creative juices kick in , I usually end up putting more into it than planned. But I can't help it. Maybe somebody like me got a hold of Lady GaGa rofl JK JK. Someday word may get out her glow is a dust of Perfect Pearls and her Mascara is Memento Ink so it doesn't bleed while applying alcohol markers for her eye makeup. haha
I have 100 because I have been collecting for six years, lol. When I first started with the Cricut there were only eight cartridges. My DH said to me "You have to collect them all." Back then we thought it was going to be like embroidery machines and their cards. You know only a few released per year. PC didn't do that, lol. It's kind of shocking to me I own 100 but I have a friend who owns all 300 plus and all the machines so she can have all the images. She just bought a Cameo too. She really makes me laugh.

That was one of my big reasons why I packed the Cricut's away. The direction PC is going the Cricut is not a standalone machine any more. It still is a tiny bit. I do have a feeling they are going completely digital in the near future. I already have a digital cutter with the Cameo. Even my DH said that most of the cutters on the market are doing the same kind of things now. Three years ago that wasn't really the case but the cutting market has streamlined themselves since then. Now, buying a die cutter is more what fits your personality and not what fits your tool needs.

As a computer geek I don't trust sending USB data transmission online through a cutter. Jeez, PC what could go wrong with that? I don't like using CCR.

That was so funny you mentioned Lady GaGa and Perfect Pearls. The eye shadow thread over here I just mentioned all the high end fashion magazines use Pearl Ex for eye shadow. I know Lady Ga Ga uses it too, lol.

I know I am a messy paper crafter too. I love all my inks, paints and coloring tools. It's not fun unless it's on you. I rather have inks on my hands than a mat stuck in my hair. Yes, that has happened. I have long hair.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:17 AM   #154
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I completely agree! Last Sun. I disected my craft area and repacked to where I thought it would be more efficient. haha The never ending battle!
Talking about embossing folders, I love them too! This summer I bought one of those pretty decorative box ( I call it a hat box but I think store refers to them as gift boxes) from Dollar General. Its Pink and Beautiful Since then, I have seen a lot of stores carry them. and I use mine for organizing my embossing folders and die cutters for storage. I need another one for organizing my nesties too.
I collect those boxes. My whole art studio is full of those boxes. I have over 100 now. I have been collecting boxes longer than Cricut cartridges, lol. I have my embossing folders in a cute basket. All my steel rule dies are in one of those large boxes sold at Michael's. It's one of those big ones that retail for over $25.00. I didn't pay $25 for it. It keeps all my dies dust free. I really like that. Plus, I just have to reach in and grab what I need. I have all the dies arranged by brand and then by subject like shapes, animals, flowers, etc...

Old 09-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #155
Crimping Master

This thread has gotten so over my head. I don't have an electronic die machine and don't intend to get one. I'm am so NOT a computer person, so I don't even understand half of what is being said. I have lots of friends that do have several machines and obviously they are not alone. It just amazes me what's out there and how much more keeps coming. We truly are in a craft that has something for everyone. Have fun!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #156
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne3579 View Post
This thread has gotten so over my head. I don't have an electronic die machine and don't intend to get one. I'm am so NOT a computer person, so I don't even understand half of what is being said. I have lots of friends that do have several machines and obviously they are not alone. It just amazes me what's out there and how much more keeps coming. We truly are in a craft that has something for everyone. Have fun!!!
But I feel you prove the fact that , since you are not alone in how you feel, punches and dies will continue strong! There are just to many of us that love them hopefully. I used to say that about the electronic machines because I thought it lessened creativity but on the contrary. It just adds more options.
Keep having fun !
Old 09-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #157
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I have 100 because I have been collecting for six years, lol. When I first started with the Cricut there were only eight cartridges. My DH said to me "You have to collect them all." Back then we thought it was going to be like embroidery machines and their cards. You know only a few released per year. PC didn't do that, lol. It's kind of shocking to me I own 100 but I have a friend who owns all 300 plus and all the machines so she can have all the images. She just bought a Cameo too. She really makes me laugh.

That was one of my big reasons why I packed the Cricut's away. The direction PC is going the Cricut is not a standalone machine any more. It still is a tiny bit. I do have a feeling they are going completely digital in the near future. I already have a digital cutter with the Cameo. Even my DH said that most of the cutters on the market are doing the same kind of things now. Three years ago that wasn't really the case but the cutting market has streamlined themselves since then. Now, buying a die cutter is more what fits your personality and not what fits your tool needs.

As a computer geek I don't trust sending USB data transmission online through a cutter. Jeez, PC what could go wrong with that? I don't like using CCR.

That was so funny you mentioned Lady GaGa and Perfect Pearls. The eye shadow thread over here I just mentioned all the high end fashion magazines use Pearl Ex for eye shadow. I know Lady Ga Ga uses it too, lol.

I know I am a messy paper crafter too. I love all my inks, paints and coloring tools. It's not fun unless it's on you. I rather have inks on my hands than a mat stuck in my hair. Yes, that has happened. I have long hair.
lol that is too funny- that will probably happen to me(the mat). And the Lady GaGa - I was being goofy but I guess PP can be a good costume makeup tool ! lol
As far as the first part of your message, I need friends like that! lol

BTW...more directed to post topic. My mother in law passed away And I was given the request to make a memory picture board for display. I am keeping it simple of course but at the same time special for her. Edge Punch to my rescue!!! It made a really nice boarder around a foam core board . Then I did her whole name and birth date etc. with my Cricut and picked her favorite colors for the card stock. Finished it yesterday.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #158
Kookie Creator

I had a big shot but it rusted so I got vagabond. Just ordered a cameo 2 weeks back. Can't wait to collect it next week. I just need to find a place to put it.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #159
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I agree about the cheap computers but if you really look and are patient, you can get a good one for a great price. Like I said, my Lenovo (which has better specs than our $700 sony Vaio laptop) was a killer deal. We only paid about $400 for our toshiba satellite (also with better specs than the sony). But the bottom line is that I would buy a POS computer to work with the silhouette or other machine before I would drop another penny in Provo Crafts' greedy pockets. I won't buy anything PC. Not even cuttlebug folders and I love embossing folders (thankfully other companies make folders now too).
You must have had a pretty bad experience with PC in order for you to totally stay away from any of their products. I feel all of them are after the dollar in some form or fashion.
The Toshiba you mentioned is the same computer I am using right now. It's probably one of the better ones for a cheaper computer I guess.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #160
Forum Fanatic

I haven't had a bad experience personally but when they sued other companies for things they should be doing themselves, I took it personally, I guess. I did have an expression that never cut perfect circles and they replaced it several time and insisted that it was my fault and not the machine's, and none of them cut perfect circles. Come to find out it's a common problem with the expression and not many of them do cut right. Then the problems with design studio and the fact that they never fixed it, then they kept out putting out machine after machine without fixing the ones they already had out. But it was the lawsuits that put me off PC for good. I think they are bullies and they can't even take care of their own like the 3rd party companies do. They don't seem to care about glitches and problems in their machines or software.

My dd still has the personal cricut and a few carts but if she ever wants more cartridges, she'll have to pony up the money for them herself.

Toshiba has a lot of models so it's the same brand for sure, but may not be the exact same configuration. My daughter uses it with sims games, photoshop, Sony Vegas movie studio, and her homeschool programs. My other dd uses the Sony Vaio for the same things (minus the Sims games), which was quite a bit more expensive, but she has more trouble with it than we do with the Toshiba.