Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-24-2006, 12:05 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free DVD Delimma

I received a free dvd from Paper Crafts that has to do with scrap booking. My hubby being the great trash paper" ripper upper" of this century ripped up all the packing. Now I read that if I do not want it I have to return it in the packaging with the postage label attached. I did not send for this. Am I obligated to return this stuff?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 12:13 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

If the package was completely unsolicited they cannot put you under any obligation to return it.

But if you may have filled something out, or it is part of some sort of subscription- then you have to return it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 12:14 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

If you search, you might be able to find a thread on this. I remember reading one a while back, and from what I remember, you are under no obligation to return unsolicited mail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 12:16 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Default Mary JB

I am a subscriber to the magazine but did not send for anything. I am still looking for the postage label. Maybe my hubby can send it back in a padded envelope if I can find it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 12:19 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF you didn't order it, you don't have to return it OR pay for it. That is a US Postal Service 'law' (I don't know the exact wording).

I have been very firm with companies about this and have sent them letters stating I will not pay for or return merchandise I didn't order - and it's always worked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I got that, too. It says they'd like you to return it, but you don't have to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 12:44 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I despise this marketing tactic. :rolleyes: No, you do not have to return it. One place in the letter it actually does mention that they would like you to return it but that you're not obligated. You really have to read to find that though. Again...:rolleyes:. I thought some of the pieces of the card kit weren't too bad...free ribbon is always good. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I decided to look for a thread on this before I started my own. :-) I was also a little peeved that they did this. I knew I didn't have to return unsolicited mailings, but it's annoying of them to do this! Now I'll feel guilty if I don't return it, even though I don't have to. <sigh> Just what I love--a gift that requires something of me! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 04:58 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I got one too and would not pay for it even if I loved it (I don't) out of principle. I do not want to encourage this slimy kind of selling. You never have to return any unsolicited item, EVER. In the packing it says they know they cannot make you pay for it or even return it. They are just trying to make you feel guilty and make you pay not because you want it because it might bother you not to pay and it is annoying to have to package and mail the durn thing. I threw mine away. Watched about half and Y---A----W----N!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 05:03 PM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

I also rec'd one and for the life of me couldn't remember ordering anything...as it turned out, I didn't. The brochure did say that if you weren't interested to return the DVD but you could keep the free gift of card making supplies. I would say to just pack it up and return it. You are under no obligation to keep if delivered unsolicited. I'm sorry that I don't have return address for you. Try checking the Papercrafts website. They might have more info for you. HTH
Hugs, Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 05:29 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Default I received the DVD also.

The DVD was indeed dry and boring. Even if I was interested, no where could I find what the other DVDs would cost. I slapped that thing back in the box and handed to the mail gal. Out of my hands.

The goodies that were included were very awesome though!

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 05:42 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

It states that you did not order it - that it was sent to you because you have a subscription to one of their media corp. magazines - you do not need to pay for it - but if you do not wish to keep it to please return it - but you are not legally obligated to return or pay for it! The card kits are just so simple - but the items useable in other ways - the DVD to me is a total waste of the $7.00 they are asking for it not to mention the time it took to watch it!! Talk about BORING!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

My sister got this. I thought it was cute! There are little packets of goodies and directions to make several cards! No you don't have to return it. My sister asked postoffice to be sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 06:25 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

I got the same thing and there was no way I was taking my time to return something I didn't even ask for. I saw in there that you aren't obligated in any way to do that they just would like you to. Then the other day I got another letter asking if I was going to sign up and if not to please return the DVD. This really torks my hide. I didn't solicite this, I didn't say "sure, send it" therefore they will just have to eat the DVD cost.
**stepping off soap box now** :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 07:19 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I found the toll free phone number and email address in the literature. :-)
1-888-225-7287
[email protected]

Perhaps some of us could express our feelings--positive or otherwise--to those who are responsible for sending it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 09:33 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

They sent one to me last year and I ignored it. The stuff eventually got buried on my craft table, lol. I think I stopped counting after the 4th letter they sent asking if I'd "forgotten" to return or pay..... I will never support this type of marketing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 01:58 AM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

I hate hate hate this kind of marketing... I haven't watched the DVD but did use the free card stuff they sent (look at my gallery)... I haven't decided if I will send it back... I'm kind of ticked off they send it to me just because I subscribe to their magazine... makes me want to unsubscribe!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 02:51 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Default info from USPS

I was also sent this "free" DVD. It got buried under other "stuff" and I forgot about it. Then they sent me a "bill" in the mail. I'm rather steamed about this as I didn't order it. Here is some info I just copied from the USPS website: (If I'm reading this correctly,we can keep our gift and DO NOT have to pay for it!)

Receipt of Unsolicited Merchandise

A company sends you a gift in the mail--a ball point pen, a key chain, a tie. But you didn't order it. What do you do? If you are the type of person this company is looking for, you may feel guilty about accepting the item without paying for it. Don't feel guilty! It's yours, and you are under no obligation to pay anything.

You, the consumer, may only legally be sent two types of merchandise through the mail without your consent or agreement:

Free samples which are clearly and conspicuously marked as such.

Merchandise mailed by a charitable organization that is soliciting contributions.

And in these two cases, you can consider the merchandise a gift if you wish. In all other situations, it is illegal to send merchandise to someone, unless that person has previously ordered or requested it.

These rules are codified in Title 39, United States Code, Section 3009. That section of the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 incorporates these protections for American consumers and makes the mailing of unordered merchandise unfair methods of competition and unfair trade practices under the law.

If you do not wish to pay for unsolicited merchandise or make a donation to a charity sending such an item, you may do one of three things (in each case, by law, you have no obligation to the sender):

If you have not opened the package, you may mark it "Return to Sender," and the Postal Service will return it with no additional postage charged to you.

If you open the package and don't like what you find, you may throw it away.

If you open the package and like what you find, you may keep it for free. In this instance, "finders-keepers" applies unconditionally.

Furthermore, it is illegal for a company that sends you unordered merchandise to follow the mailing with a bill or dunning communication.

If you are aware of violations of the federal law prohibiting the mailing of unordered merchandise, or if you have personally had difficulty with such items--especially if you are sent statements demanding payment for the merchandise--you should contact you local postmaster or the nearest Postal Inspector.

| Inspection Service Home Page |

The more we thank, the more we discover we have to be thankful for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 03:08 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Default info from FTC

Here is some info I copied and pasted from the Federal Trade Commission website: (basically the same as the USPS info above)

Unordered Merchandise

...You respond to an advertisement offering a free "trial" pair of pantyhose. To your surprise, you receive four pair with a bill.

...You receive a pocket knife that you never ordered. Despite your objections, the company continues to send you notices demanding payment and threatening your credit rating.

What do you do when you receive merchandise that you didn�t order? According to the Federal Trade Commission, you don�t have to pay for it. Federal laws prohibit mailing unordered merchandise to consumers and then demanding payment.

Here are some questions and answers about dealing with unordered merchandise.

Q. Am I obligated to return or pay for merchandise I never ordered?

A. No. If you receive merchandise that you didn�t order, you have a legal right to keep it as a free gift.

Q. Must I notify the seller if I keep unordered merchandise without paying for it?

A. You have no legal obligation to notify the seller. However, it is a good idea to write a letter to the company stating that you didn�t order the item and, therefore, you have a legal right to keep it for free. This may discourage the seller from sending you bills or dunning notices, or it may help clear up an honest error. Send your letter by certified mail. Keep the return receipt and a copy of the letter for your records. You may need it later.

Q. What should I do if the unordered merchandise I received was the result of an honest shipping error?

A. Write the seller and offer to return the merchandise, provided the seller pays for postage and handling. Give the seller a specific and reasonable amount of time (say 30 days) to pick up the merchandise or arrange to have it returned at no expense to you. Tell the seller that you reserve the right to keep the merchandise or dispose of it after the specified time has passed.

Q. Is there any merchandise that may be sent legally without my consent?

A. Yes. You may receive samples that are clearly marked free, and merchandise from charitable organizations asking for contributions. You may keep such shipments as free gifts.

Q. Is there any way to protect myself from shippers of unordered merchandise?

A. When you participate in sweepstakes or order goods advertised as "free," "trial," or "unusually low priced," be cautious. Read all the fine print to determine if you are joining a "club," with regular purchasing or notification obligations.Keep a copy of the advertisement or catalog that led you to place the order, too. This may make it easier to contact the company if a problem arises.

Q. Where can I go for help in dealing with unordered merchandise problems?

A. Always start by trying to resolve your dispute with the company. If this doesn�t work, contact your state or local consumer protection office, local U.S. Postal Inspector, or the Better Business Bureau in your area for help. The Direct Marketing Association, 6 East 43rd Street, New York, New York 10017, also may be able to help you.

The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint or to get free information on consumer issues, visit www.ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, identity theft and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.

The more we thank, the more we discover we have to be thankful for.
Reply With Quote Likes