Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback on Memento Luxe Inks

Hello! I am seriously considering purchasing some (or all!) the Memento Luxe ink pads and was hoping for some opinions from anyone who has used them. Do you like how they stamp with clear stamps? How quickly do you need to re-ink them? Do you like them for general stamping, not just techniques? Thanks so much!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 01:35 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's some reviews.

From JJ Bolton: JJ Bolton {Handmade Cards}: All About the Ink

From Susan Raihala: Simplicity: Quickie Reviews and a Card Stock Comparison

From Craft Dummies:

Looking good http://www.crafttestdummies.com/craf...ia-stamp-pads/

Last edited by Joan B; 02-12-2014 at 01:36 AM.. Reason: fix error
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 02:49 AM   #3  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

A rave about Luxe from our very own SCS member 'Phantom':

"And Memento Luxe: A fabulous ink - great coverage, and gorgeous colors. This is my favorite color ink. Dries a little more slowly than a dye ink but well worth taking a second to heat set it if you have concerns. This is the only ink other than Distress that I've purchased all of the color reinkers for. Sponges beautifully, too. Highly recommend!"

The above quote from Phantom can be found on this SCS thread (close to the bottom of the thread):
Inks, so many to chose from. by lenayvonne1 at Splitcoaststampers

HTH.

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 02-12-2014 at 02:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 06:49 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you, QOI! LOL - I thought this thread sounded familiar - now I know why!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the links and replies, though none of them really answered my specific questions. I think I'm just going to go for them because every single video/ photo I see them on the coverage and color looks amazing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by created4apurposeView Post
Hello! I am seriously considering purchasing some (or all!) the Memento Luxe ink pads and was hoping for some opinions from anyone who has used them. Do you like how they stamp with clear stamps? How quickly do you need to re-ink them? Do you like them for general stamping, not just techniques? Thanks so much!
I love them with clear stamps. I've actually probably used them much more with clear than rubber so far and they work great, even on solids. They are very moist, so you need to learn to use a light hand, especially with fine lines and sentiments. I rarely trust anything other than Versafine with sentiments but these have done really well.

I have not reached reinking stage yet but haven't been doing a ton of stamping. I did, however, purchase all of the reinkers because I know these are going to be my go-to inks for a very long time.

They blend beautifully with sponging!! There is a Toffee Crunch that I just love for creating an antique/vintage look. I haven't used them for too many other techniques yet.

Like you, I kept reading all of these wonderful reviews and descriptions, and videos and photos were impressive, so I just took the leap. I got all but a few right from the start and then finished up the set.

A fun little thing is that each lid has a different pretty line drawing on it - an anchor for Nautical Blue, peanuts for Peanut Brittle - it really doesn't matter since you can see the color anyway, but I love it .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Nancy, THANK YOU! so much for taking the time to give more specific feedback I so appreciate it! I am glad your experience is so positive because I am so in love with them already *lol* that I am having a hard time not just purchasing them all with the re-inkers as well. I may narrow it down a bit but the Toffee Crunch you mentioned is on my must have list already, looks like a gorgeous color. I noticed that about the lids from all the images I've looked at, such a neat little way to make it more special. Thanks again! I am going to stamp out all the ink colors I have to see what I could possibly wait on..for now ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

For those of you who have these inkpads, is there a dark blue, sort of like SU! Night of Navy?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #9  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Leah, I could not provide detail because I do not use this line of ink.

However, I deferred to Phantom because she said she loved them and I had a sneaky feeling that she'd 'chime in' on this thread to help you out.

And so it was.........Phantom to the rescue WOOHOO!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sounds like these inks may be a better choice for clear stamps. I tried them with my rubber and could not get a good image with my solid stamps no mater what I tried. There always seemed to be one spot where the ink preferred to stick to my stamp and not transfer to the paper. I had jumped in and bought the entire set without trying one first because of all the rave reviews (my bad!). I just gave all of mine away to a friend at work. I really did love the colors though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
Leah, I could not provide detail because I do not use this line of ink.

However, I deferred to Phantom because she said she loved them and I had a sneaky feeling that she'd 'chime in' on this thread to help you out.

And so it was.........Phantom to the rescue WOOHOO!!!!!!!!
Thank you for helping out! I really appreciate it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaView Post
Sounds like these inks may be a better choice for clear stamps. I tried them with my rubber and could not get a good image with my solid stamps no mater what I tried. There always seemed to be one spot where the ink preferred to stick to my stamp and not transfer to the paper. I had jumped in and bought the entire set without trying one first because of all the rave reviews (my bad!). I just gave all of mine away to a friend at work. I really did love the colors though.
So sorry you didn't have a good experience with them. I sure wish I was your friend! Wow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaView Post
These inks sound wonderful. Can anyone provide additional input about the Memento Luxe with rubber stamps? I love that they work so well with clear stamps which are often tricky to stamp with. But I use rubber 98%+ of the time, and if I'm going to invest in yet another type of ink, I would want it to work well with rubber too. Thanks for your help.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just pulled out a wood-mounted rubber stamp (House Mouse), a bare rubber that I used with Tack 'N Peel (Eat Cake Graphics), a solid silhouette stamp (Inky Antics) and a cling-mounted rubber stamp (Whipper Snapper Designs), and it performed beautifully with each one . I don't use wood-mounted stamps a lot these days so at first I turned the stamp over and inked it stamp side up, so I could more easily tell how much I was inking it. But then I just inked it up normally and got the same good image.

It is water soluble... but not terribly so. For example, with the House Mouse stamp, I used a waterbrush to "color" the mouse's body but you can still see the line details. So you can get a kind of neat effect without completely losing the lines.

It works well with alcohol markers.

If I remember correctly, Night of Navy is a deep navy blue with the slightest hint of green/teal to it? Nautical Blue is very much like that, I think.

As for staining, I cleaned all of the rubber stamps immediately after using them tonight, and no ink remained. I also cleaned a photopolymer stamp immediately after - no staining.

But... I knew there was one photopolymer stamp that I used around Christmastime for an extended period making a stack of cards. I did not clean it right away. When I cleaned it, there was still a tint to the stamp (it was a mostly solid stamp) which doesn't really bother me. But since I thought someone might ask, I pulled it out tonight just to see if I could clean it. With a bit of scrubbing, even that came off.

I have had trouble with the scrubber pads falling apart, hinges breaking, etc., so I use a chamois most of the time to clean my stamps (sometimes a baby wipe). Using cleaner and rubbing with the chamois completely removed the tint from the stamp (the cleaner was Gina K or SU or A Muse - I have no idea which as I put the refills in whatever spray bottle is handy).

Hope that helps .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Thanks Nancy for the scientific experimentation. Maybe these ink pads need to go on my want list.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 03:15 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks again Nancy for doing more experimenting with them!! I found a site that sells all the colors for a great price and since I've been debating for days over which colors to get or not get and CAN NOT decide, (LOL) I am going to get them all, except for black and white as I am happy with the colors I have for those. I have never been so excited about an ink line before and I just really love all the colors, which is unusual for me as well. So happy to know you can watercolor and use Copics with them as well! And even though staining doesn't bother me too much on my clear stamps I'd rather they not stain Off to order!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 03:48 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just to clarify with the watercolor - water did dissolve the ink but to a light wash - it didn't completely obliterate the stamped line. Just didn't want you to watercolor and find your stamped lines blending and be disappointed .

I think you'll be happy with them! I never liked an all-purpose color ink as much as these.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 03:54 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Just to clarify with the watercolor - water did dissolve the ink but to a light wash - it didn't completely obliterate the stamped line. Just didn't want you to watercolor and find your stamped lines blending and be disappointed .

I think you'll be happy with them! I never liked an all-purpose color ink as much as these.
Thanks for the clarification! Did you heat set before watercoloring? I thought I saw somewhere in all my reading around that after the ink was heat set it didn't react with water anymore. I am so excited to get them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 04:51 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, you can watercolor after heat setting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 05:41 AM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Love Memento Luxe inks!
Just Us Girls Challenge DT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Nancy, I believe you're thinking of Not Quite Navy. It has a touch of green in it. But that's okay, because I love that color, too, and would love to have some matching ink for it. Night of Navy is just a very dark blue. Thank you for the reply!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh I think you are right! Now that you say the name, I remember that having a noticeably greenish look. This isn't that much - maybe just a hint. It's a beautiful deep blue .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by created4apurposeView Post
...I found a site that sells all the colors for a great price and since I've been debating for days over which colors to get or not get and CAN NOT decide, (LOL) I am going to get them all, except for black and white as I am happy with the colors I have for those. ...
What site are you ordering the inks from?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been thinking about these too. 123stitch has the pads and reinkers for $4.64 apiece. Joann.com has the pads for $4.19, but don't have the reinkers.

Are there any better deals?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristaTracyView Post
I have been thinking about these too. 123stitch has the pads and reinkers for $4.64 apiece. Joann.com has the pads for $4.19, but don't have the reinkers.

Are there any better deals?
I did a few days of combing through the internet as much as I could to try to find the best deal and I ended up getting 18 of the colors through Oozak.com for $4.80 a pad, free shipping. They were out of stock on 2 colors I wanted so I found them for $4.35 each at Scrapbooking Warehouse:
Scrapbooking Supplies | Discounted Scrapbooking | Scrapbook Supplies and paid $1.99 for shipping. I found them at 123stich as well but after you figure in shipping costs they were $5.17 each.

Even with shipping costs for all 20 pads at Scrapbooking Warehouse they were very close in price to Oozak but I also wanted a couple of Copic refills so I went with them. One other thing, Oozak is now out of more colors due to my order, but they have high inventory at Scrapbooking Warehouse. I took a peek at Joann's and it doesn't look like they even offer all the colors. I feel like I got a good deal and am super happy that my Oozak order already shipped! Hope that helps some. I'm so glad I ordered and am done trying to figure out what to do LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Forgot to add, Scrapbooking Warehouse as well as Oozak have all the reinkers as well. I plan on getting those in the near future
Reply With Quote Likes