Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-18-2014, 05:46 AM   #1  
TTB
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expand card making ideas other than SU

Good morning,
I love SU and have tons of their products which I think are great quality. There are a lot of videos out there with ideas for using their stuff.

My challenge is using other companies products more. I have lovely Memory Box Dies, Cheery Lynn Designs, PTI (believe I don't shop there any more which is too bad because they have great stuff) and have some SparkleNSprinkle products which are lovely and the list goes on.

I have SU as my default mode and everywhere I look I see ideas and tutorials for that so I am stuck in a rut without using my other supplies. Does anyone else feel like this about their go to products be it SU or another company?

I get a little tired of seeing all those SU papers and products beautiful done but I can immediately recognize their paper and stamps. I want to be different sometimes. :grin:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 06:09 AM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I would like to expand my stamp collection because SU doesn't carry much in the way of cutesy images for coloring, but I won't buy other card stock and inks. I have strayed to save money and found myself coming back for quality. And I won't buy embossing powders other than SU because they don't melt as well and I've had to give them away. I believe it is also easier to find examples to CASE for SU products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 06:34 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've never been solely devoted to one manufacturer so I find all the SUO etc. quite amusing, you're just conditioned to think SU first. Challenge yourself to find a card you like and NOT allow yourself to use any SU products. Shop your stash and substitute in your other products. It's easy once you allow yourself to do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have stuff from a lot of different companies... I don't really watch videos or tutorials for making anything. I used to, but that would distract me and get me side-tracked and it would hinder me instead of helping. Once in a while I would need a jump-start for an idea. The most recent example is, I wanted ideas for birthday cards for one-year-olds. So I went to Google images and typed "first birthday cards" and got tons of ideas - not just stamped-card ideas, but a lot of other cards as well - none of them were too product-specific, so I could just rummage around in my stamp collection to find approximations. Maybe you can try Google Images too - just type in whatever it is you want to try to use ("Memory die" for example)...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

There is no reason to be in a Stampin Up Only RUT, Seriously

Here check the gallery, pick a company, look at cards and GO!

My Favorite Things, Paper Smooches, Scor-Pal, Simon Says Stamp, Stamping Bella, Stamp-n-Storage, Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps, Taylored Expressions, The Cat's Pajamas, Verve Stamps, - Splitcoaststampers Member Company Galleries

There is Pintrest for ideas-Massive Ideas

Stampin Up is not the only company. Rut because it is the first company that you started with?

Just being here on SCS showed me the Wonders of other Companies!!!!

It is NOT that hard to Expand you horizons!!

The Gallery here and Challenges are wonderful tools!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #6  
TTB
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
There is no reason to be in a Stampin Up Only RUT, Seriously

Here check the gallery, pick a company, look at cards and GO!

My Favorite Things, Paper Smooches, Scor-Pal, Simon Says Stamp, Stamping Bella, Stamp-n-Storage, Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps, Taylored Expressions, The Cat's Pajamas, Verve Stamps, - Splitcoaststampers Member Company Galleries

There is Pintrest for ideas-Massive Ideas

Stampin Up is not the only company. Rut because it is the first company that you started with?

Just being here on SCS showed me the Wonders of other Companies!!!!

It is NOT that hard to Expand you horizons!!

The Gallery here and Challenges are wonderful tools!!!
You are absolutely right!!!!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I own practically no SU products. When I case something I look at it in general then go into my craft room and make something specific with the products I have.

Sometimes I see a stamp or die used in a project and would like to know whose product it is but that is because I like the look of it.

I am not loyal to any one company. And have a tendency to stay away from companies that have a recognizable look to their product.

I never want to recreate exactly what someone else has done. I do appreciate the spark they light and the fact that they make me think outside the box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #8  
TTB
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindalrdView Post
I own practically no SU products. When I case something I look at it in general then go into my craft room and make something specific with the products I have.

Sometimes I see a stamp or die used in a project and would like to know whose product it is but that is because I like the look of it.

I am not loyal to any one company. And have a tendency to stay away from companies that have a recognizable look to their product.

I never want to recreate exactly what someone else has done. I do appreciate the spark they light and the fact that they make me think outside the box.
I love this. thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I love Whipper Snapper and Penny Black. But I like the idea of looking through all of my stuff to see if I have something similar to use!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What about sketch challenges, no one company on those.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2014, 03:25 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I started with SU but quickly outgrew it. I felt it greatly hindered my creativity because as you say, everything shown is with their products only. Please don't get mad at me but I didn't care for their inks either. Had so much trouble trying to get good coverage on images like solid stamps. I prefer Ranger Archivals. I also didn't like being forced to buy a whole set of stamps just to get the one or two I liked. Years ago when I first started stamping there were a lot more companies to choose from. I used to buy the rubber unmounted and add the cushion and wood block myself. That way I would be able to get stamps at only 1/3 the price. Some companies I really like are BLine Designs, Stampscapes, Serendipity and Stampsmith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2014, 05:15 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Stampscape stamps make me feel like an artist. You almost can't make a mistake and there are tutorials on how to use them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2014, 05:38 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Yes they really do! I have a gallery of some of my projects on their website as well as a few youtube videos I did. The stamps are very high quality with lots of helpful info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2014, 03:50 AM   #14  
TTB
Rubber Obsessor

Default Thank you

You all have great ideas for me and I have started to change my way of thinking. I like the idea of looking around my studio at the stuff that I already have, which is a lot. I had already been trying to do that but got lazy and went with my SU stuff. I also admire SU's ability to sell, they really are very good business people. I find all their products of good quality.
I started a long time ago looking at what I have that will work to create projects I see online as a way to stop buying the products in the tutorials.
Thank you all
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Someone else mentioned Pinterest. Try searches either by stamp company name, or by theme, ie Butterflies on cards. That way you can case cards that contain stamps you have, but by different manufacturers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though I use 99% of Stampin' Up! products, I personally LOVE looking at cards and techniques using other products. This helps me from getting stuck in a rut of only one style.
Studying the ways others use their products helps me to use mine better, KWIM? SO I think maybe you could enjoy that too. Watch the videos and tutorials that inspire you, and then use whatever supplies you have on hand or the new ones you buy to change it up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I have made so many mistakes buying clear stamps because they are cute. I have a ton of them and many of them are yucky...cannot get a good image at all. Some brand names and some not. I have tried using an emory board on them. Some it helps some not so much. I unmounted most of my SU stamps and like them better that way. I like whipper snapper stamps very much.
(borrowed from the quirkey card sayings thread).

Reply With Quote Likes