Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
tba
Cardstock Collector

Default excel spreadsheet for stamp organization

I know lots of people use excel spreadsheet to keep your stamp sets organized. My question is do you put each stamp set into one category or do you subcategorize? I am trying to figure out how to organize my stamps. I have many that I forget some of the stamps I have. Trying to figure out the best way to organize my stamps so I can use all I have. Thanks in advance
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-15-2010, 04:17 AM   #2
Gabfest Goddess

I have a very detailed post of how I organize mine in an Excel spreadsheet along with screen shots to help you see how I organize it all. You can find my post here. I hope it is helpful. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or would like my file. Have a blessed day!
Old 01-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Kookie Creator

Send a message via ICQ to jkminor Send a message via MSN to jkminor Send a message via Yahoo to jkminor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tba View Post
I know lots of people use excel spreadsheet to keep your stamp sets organized. My question is do you put each stamp set into one category or do you subcategorize? I am trying to figure out how to organize my stamps. I have many that I forget some of the stamps I have. Trying to figure out the best way to organize my stamps so I can use all I have. Thanks in advance
I think what I am going to do... (because I wasnt smart and started when I first got stamps lol) is take each set... stamp the individual stamps on a sheet in whatever catagory they belong in.. then just make sure and put a small label sticker below it (that I type up on the computer) what stamp set it belongs too... that way I can find an image in the area I am looking for and still keep my stamp sets together. I have taken card stock and cut it in half so I have 8 1/2 by 5 sheets and punched two holes in the top and plan to put rings on it... I am hoping this will be kind of like a catalog of inspiration and then I just go to the shelf where they are in alpha order and find the stamp set... I hope this works lol.

Hugs
Jaunice
Old 01-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
tba
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for the ideas - I am hoping to get started on this project - not sure how long it will take (I think I have about 100 sets).
Old 01-16-2010, 02:52 AM   #5
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by tba View Post
Thanks for the ideas - I am hoping to get started on this project - not sure how long it will take (I think I have about 100 sets).
That shouldn't take you too long. I had about 900 stamps at the time I did it, and it took me working solid for 16 hours. It was heck but I was determined to get it done!
Old 01-16-2010, 04:42 AM   #6
Pearl-ExPert

I have 2 spreadsheets. One for SU and one for everything else. I do have categories similar to how the SU catty is organized but tweaked for me. Like I have Holidays A and Holidays C. "A" is for all holidays but Christmas which fall into "C". If you had lots of Valentines sets you could do a category for that. I have all my foriegn languages sets listed in a category for each language because if I a using one, it is typcally for someone who speaks that language rather than the type of set it is.

My spreadsheet is basically category, set name, description (if the name doesn't clue you), words (if some stamps are words), number of stamps (set of 5, for example), stock number, and comments. For the SU, I also note if it was in a mini (which I remove if I notice it made it to the next big catty). I used to mark if it is retired because it was suggested to me when I started, but I decided it doesn't matter to me so I just deleted that column.

My best suggestion is to do what works for you. I would organized my speedsheet by how I organize my stamps. Add more columns and info than you think you need, because you can always delete them later if you don't need as much info. Going back to lookup info or add it later to a bunch of stamps is a PTA so I would make it very thorough on the first go round and decide what YOU need as you are using it.

Hope this helps.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB