Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dye Ink Re-inkers

I have yet another question to ask. I have ran out of my Memento dye inkpads and I am looking for re-inkers. Is Ranger Re-Inker my only option and is it ok to use that on Memento dye inkpads?
Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are reinkers for Memento Inks pads.

Tsukineko > Stamping > Ink Pad Refills > Memento: A Cherry On Top (Be sure you are ordering the dye refills and not the luxe.)

While I am sure it can be done, I personally would not use a different brand of reinker on my inkpads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

To keep the same colour, you would need to re-ink with the same brand as your original colours; otherwise you might end up with some very muddy unpredictable. colours and possible unwanted reactions between different brands. I have to say that, since I think you only started stamping very recently if my memory is right, I am surprised you would already need to re-ink a pad, unless you're stamping an awful lot of solid images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 12:03 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Thankyou for your replies. I got my ink set from Amazon 2 months back. I suspected I was sold an old pack maybe and tried to get it replaced but I had crossed the time period to do so.
I found the cheapest re-inkers at Blick and wanted to confirm if it's a good idea to mix brands or not. Will look for the Memento re-inkers only now or maybe new inkpads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Joanns carries Memento pads and re-inkers on-line. They also frequently are on sale. So if they are not on sale one day , check back a couple of days later they might be. That is how I bought a few of mine.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Too late now but just as an FYI, I always buy a re-inker when I buy a pad. But of course that means I am very sure I like the color.

Also might I suggest you never leave the top off the pad longer than you have to because dye inks dry fast (vs pigments),
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Hi. I am planning to shift completely to Ranger Archival Inks. Is it a good idea (to use the colored inks)? Its the most convenient and affordable option for me right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 04:57 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

I think it depends on the stamps you own? ( and how you use them) if most of your stamps are solid images that do not need colored then, yes colored inks are fun for those ( flowers come right to mind)

but, if you have a lot of line images ( where you can color inside the lines with what ever medium you like) then having a couple of black and or grey or brown pads that do different things may be all the pads you need at the moment...

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 05:02 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I think it depends on the stamps you own? ( and how you use them) if most of your stamps are solid images that do not need colored then, yes colored inks are fun for those ( flowers come right to mind)

but, if you have a lot of line images ( where you can color inside the lines with what ever medium you like) then having a couple of black and or grey or brown pads that do different things may be all the pads you need at the moment...
Thankyou for the reply. I do have black inkpad. I needed a substitute for my memento dye inkpads (colored ones). They dried out and their re-inkers are really expensive so thought of switching to ranger archival colored ink pads completely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I honestly do not use my colored ink pads much, but I also own reinkers for them because of it. when I do want to stamp in color I am more likely to grab a waterbased marker to swipe the stamp with than a pad.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 05:19 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't use my colored ink pads much either. About the only time I really need one is for a sentiment and I rarely have the right shade so I usually end up going with boring black.

I keep wavering back and forth on which ink pads to buy. I'm really happy with the few Close to MY Heart ink pads I own. I'm wavering between buying five or six more or just buying a bunch of mini pads (Memento or Brilliance or similar).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I honestly do not use my colored ink pads much, but I also own reinkers for them because of it. when I do want to stamp in color I am more likely to grab a waterbased marker to swipe the stamp with than a pad.
ok. thanks for the tip. I have never used the markers. Just got into stamping. Just a question about markers though, can you refill those also like inkpads or do you need to buy a new one when its dried?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 05:58 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

depends on the marker, for water based markers ( what I use on rubber to stamp with) no, for alcohol based markers (that I use to color in the lines of something stamped with Memento (or another dye ink) yes, ( because I have copic brand ones, most the art grade brands of alcohol based ink markers can be refilled and the nibs replaced) (not everything)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 10:10 PM   #14  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I haven't priced Memento re-inkers, the only ones I gave ever got are SU, Versamark, Staz-On and distress inks. So I don't know if Memento are way out of line price wise. I just wanted to point out that under normal conditions, a bottle of re-inker will last a LONG, long time, and should extend the life of your pads by several years unless you use them a ton. You only use a small amount each time you re-ink your pad, and you shouldn't need to do that very often in the first place. Because if I were switching, I would want to get the re-inkers to go with the Ranger inks too, I think it's usually handy to have them. So in the long run it might be better economy to get re-inkers for the pads you already have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2015, 09:37 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I would suggest that you only buy one ink pad + reinker. Then see if you like that type of ink pad before buying the set.

One type of ink pad that does not really need to be reinked are the Versafine. They actually only carry the reinker in the black because the pads last so long. You can use this pad with water based color, but not copics, FYI.

The memento reinkers are about the same price as any other. They are about $5 regular price each and can be found on sale. They will last you just about forever, like any reinker will.

If you want to see if you like using markers to ink up your stamps, you can easily use Crayola markers, they are often for sale at any store for a few dollars. They are water based markers and they will work. There are fun techniques you can do with markers on stamps and they are really fun.

Then if you still really want to invest in some craft or art water-based markers, you will know you like them.

My two cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2015, 10:18 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

I agree with HowdyHeidi about buying one pad before buying a set.

Many people love pigment ink. I have four barely used A*Muse pigment pads. The colors are beautiful but I don't like them. They are slow to dry, the pad is squishy compared to what I'm used to so I end up over inking my stamps. I'm glad I bought only four because I've quickly learned that pigment ink is not for me.

My Memento black is my most used ink pad, but that's because I use it for stamping images that I'll color with my Copics. I don't find it black enough for stamping my sentiments so I'm thinking of going with something else for that job.

Different inks for different jobs. As much as I'd like to be a one ink fits all gal, I'm finding that I need different inks, not just different colors.

The more I look, the more I'm thinking about sticking with the full size CTMH ink pads. My other choice Memento but I'm having trouble finding a store that carries a large line of the reinker colors--and I refuse to pay shipping at six different places just for a bottle of reinker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Melissa, ( I tend to reach for Versafine for sentiments) or anything that looks like a "photo" type image, not only is it one of the blackest black pads. it has really good coverage of details. ( this is not a dye nor a pigment) and it is only water resistant. (and you dont want to run over it with your copic's nor stamp it on something slick ( non porus surfaces it will not dry without heat embossing over it)

but, for a lot of plain cardstock applications. or coloring with pencils Versafine is one of my go-to inks. ( and I do own this in every color them make it in) they do not make reinkers for versafine pads. and I find it does not stain my clear see through stamps the way say chalk ink pads do.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks, Stacy. The more I read, the more I think VersaFine will make a great go-to sentiment ink.

This thread has me thinking and rethinking my color ink choices. I've been reading about My Favorite Things premium dye inks. It is getting good reviews and comes in beautiful colors. I'll start another thread to see what SCS members think about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Actually, you can refill markers. Stampin Up and Distress markers, with the ink refills.
Pull out the nib & drop some in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do have a re-inker for Versifine Onyx Black, my fav ink for sentiments also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I was just about to add that you can get re-inkers for Versafine Onyx Black, and Sepia. That is the only two colours of reinker they do- and they are just not available anywhere here in the UK, I had to order from the USA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2015, 03:02 PM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

I have been thinking about inks for a long time. It is very confusing. My collection is spotty at best because I cant decide. It isnt helping that new ink types keep coming out.

It isnt an easy topic b/c as was said, part of it has to do with how you stamp. Solids or outlines.

What you dont want to do, and is common for newbies (ask me how I know) is take the position "I want to be able to do everything if I feel like it." Well, no. Nobody does everything, esp not newbies.

When I first started, I took a brayer class. And I bought the HUGE Big and Juicy stamp pads that have several colors in them. Expensive. You have to have a bunch of different re-inkers, and you can easily ruin them if you roll on them the wrong way. Ugh. We were not talking about sponging/blending a lot then. Brayering was how you blended. On glossy paper. Do I have to tell you those big monsters have not been touched in years? When they dry out they are history.

Having a couple of pads for outlines is not a bad idea. Black, brown, maybe a green for plants and a light color for when you dont really want the lines to show after you color. But again-this depends on how you color. Alcohol pens or waterbased pens or pencils? I might suggest you pop a label on them for which to use with till you really know them well. Like "for watercolor".

Dont rush. Watch a lot of vids about different kinds of ink. Jennifer MdGuire does one I like because she talks about formulas...several companies may all use the same formula...but their prices may be very different. People might have other site suggestions. Looking at a mfg's site is very like a siren song. Sure you get info on that product in depth but they could also make it sound like you'll be able to fly after using it. Go for ones by outsiders reviewing them.

It is frustrating b/c inks are a basic supply so I know you want to get this decided. I do too. I like the idea of trying one pad at a time.

I did commit to the Distress pads because they are very blendable/sponging and you can do a ton of things with the re-inkers themselves. But that is the only one so far. I get the little cubes. Cheaper, less space and you can store the sponge under it instead of having a separate box with daubers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

There was a thread on here about inks that I took notes on. It covered the difference between dyes, pigments, water based, versafine, etc. Very educational and worth hunting up.

I use Memento and Stazon for Copics. So have black, white (for vellum), and light browns. Will pool on the surface of clear stamps.

Pigment inks for embossing and painting with inks. Never use these with Copics. Have a lot of small pads of various colors because I use clear super fine embossing powders only now. Although with the Misti, I can stamp dye inks and then stamp Versamark on top of that to heat emboss (cuts down on $ spread across ink types). I love pigment inks, but if I use them I have to let it dry for 2 days or use a heat gun all the time.

Versifine - use for water coloring and sentiments. Blackest ink I have found.

I also have committed to Distress Ink re-inkers. I have some of the little pads that I re-ink, but also make my own pads with the re-inkers. I find these to be the best for blending and sponging.

Last edited by Janet1000; 12-15-2015 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2015, 07:20 PM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
There was a thread on here about inks that I took notes on. It covered the difference between dyes, pigments, water based, versafine, etc. Very educational and worth hunting up.

I use Memento and Stazon for Copics. So have black, white (for vellum), and light browns. Will pool on the surface of clear stamps.
That's interesting; Stazon typically is not recommended for use with copics, since it is basically the same kind of ink as a copic. For the same reason that dye inks run with watercolors, Stazon ink usually runs with copics. Have you not experienced that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 07:03 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post

When I first started, I took a brayer class. And I bought the HUGE Big and Juicy stamp pads that have several colors in them. Expensive. You have to have a bunch of different re-inkers, and you can easily ruin them if you roll on them the wrong way. Ugh. We were not talking about sponging/blending a lot then. Brayering was how you blended. On glossy paper. Do I have to tell you those big monsters have not been touched in years? When they dry out they are history.
I got a brayer too. The rainbow colored inkpads are on my wish list. But as you said, its not that easy as it looks like. I can't describe my disappointment when I first used the brayer. All I could think was, "but this looked so easy!!" Despite everyone's advice to buy stuff patiently, I am still learning the hard way. But in my defense, I will never know what's easy and what's not until I give a try..
Still stuck in the dilemma how and where I should spend when it comes to stamping..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 07:06 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post

I also have committed to Distress Ink re-inkers. I have some of the little pads that I re-ink, but also make my own pads with the re-inkers. I find these to be the best for blending and sponging.
Was wondering, how do you make your own inkpads?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #27  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AasthaView Post
I got a brayer too. The rainbow colored inkpads are on my wish list. But as you said, its not that easy as it looks like. I can't describe my disappointment when I first used the brayer. All I could think was, "but this looked so easy!!" Despite everyone's advice to buy stuff patiently, I am still learning the hard way. But in my defense, I will never know what's easy and what's not until I give a try..
Still stuck in the dilemma how and where I should spend when it comes to stamping..
What kind of card did you use when you tried brayering? Glossy card makes a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
What kind of card did you use when you tried brayering? Glossy card makes a huge difference.

Recollection 110 cs. Thanks for mentioning this. Didn't even think about trying it on a glossy cs.. (I was trying the 'Bouncing Brayer' Technique.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 01:25 PM   #29  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Recollection 110 cs. Thanks for mentioning this. Didn't even think about trying it on a glossy cs.. (I was trying the 'Bouncing Brayer' Technique.)
Ah, for that I don't think it's as necessary to use glossy as it is for some of the other techniques, especially skies. But in my experience all brayer techniques take a lot of practice! I tried bouncing brayer a couple of times trying to make a card for a challenge, and then gave up. It took me a couple of years to get a sky I was happy with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Ah, for that I don't think it's as necessary to use glossy as it is for some of the other techniques, especially skies. But in my experience all brayer techniques take a lot of practice! I tried bouncing brayer a couple of times trying to make a card for a challenge, and then gave up. It took me a couple of years to get a sky I was happy with.
Glad to know brayering is not easy. Will not give up so easily next time now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Despite everyone's advice to buy stuff patiently, I am still learning the hard way . . . Still stuck in the dilemma how and where I should spend when it comes to stamping..
Every person on this forum has been where you are. I know that I went through a stage where it seemed that I had nothing I needed to complete a scrapbook or stamping project. So I bought stuff and more stuff and more stuff. I ended up with more stuff than I could fit into my little 9x10 craft room/office space. And I still don't have things that are "required" (use that term loosely) for some of the challenges and/or techniques.

Here is my suggestion . . . Make sure you have cardstock; a few stamp sets that you love; a good trimmer; a good black stamp pad; small scissors for fussy cutting and (now we get to the hard part) some sort of coloring medium (waterbased markers; alcohol markers; watercolors; pencils; dye ink; acrylic paint; etc.)

Once you have the basics, then buy what you need for a project or technique. Before buying something, ask yourself "is this a tool or supply that I'll use again and again?" If not, maybe you should look at another technique or another way to complete the project.

For me, adding color to a project has been the most frustrating (and costly) part of stamping. FYI, I used to have a bunch of Marvy markers. They hated me as much as I hated them. Then I tried cheap watercolor pencils. They are OK, but I don't feel I have good control over the color, even with a water brush. Then, a friend introduced me to Copics. Finally, a coloring medium that I could do, one that didn't make my projects look like they were colored by a preschooler! But the prices have soared and these days it will cost about $175-200 to get enough blending groups for most of your basic coloring needs.

If I were starting out today, I might just invest in $30 worth of Distress reinkers (no pads) from JoAnn.com during a 40-50% off sale and use them like watercolors. I admit that I'm color challenged. Someone else might be able to come up with a really good, affordable color solution for those folks who are just starting out on a budget.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 02:12 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

I was just thinking ... Sue (gregzgurl) found some cheap pencils that she uses with gamsol and has had very good coloring results. So, that might be a coloring medium for beginners to consider.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I was just thinking ... Sue (gregzgurl) found some cheap pencils that she uses with gamsol and has had very good coloring results. So, that might be a coloring medium for beginners to consider.
Thanks Melissa. I am still using the easy way out for coloring. Inking with different color inkpads.
I really liked how you described the essentials category. Would keep that in mind next time I think about buying something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 04:40 PM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

when I was brand new, I went to a stampin up party ( who didnt right?) but, anyways the gal who taught it had us all get a grey pad, ( dye ink) and some blender pens and a box of colored chalks. ( so, you use the blender pen to pick up color with)
and for a long time that is all I had to color with. ( and to this day I still have that stuff) I think chalks probably have a learning curve too but, it was a fairly more inexpensive option than buying a lot of colors of ink.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #35  
Proud Fan Club Member

I will never know what's easy and what's not until I give a try..

For what it's worth...that's true of everybody. When you are trying to do something you never have before..it's like being a kid again. Kids are people that just are smaller and dont know as much. And have more far more energy. But the great thing about them is they are very willing to try new things.

That's why it's great to be able to find a class or a friend who can show you how it's done in real time and then you can decide if you like it before investing. Short of that...we watch vids and stumble through it on our own. It's ok...the worst thing you will do is ruin some paper...you can try stuff on cheaper paper if you want at first and then again on the good paper.

I read here a lot. These guys have been stamping for decades. If they like a thing, it's likely a good thing and I will like it too-if it isnt too advanced for me. In which case I might put it in my wishlist or save the card to my favs for future reference. Also-there is a board here for talking about technique and tools specifically-you might want to read that too. You will see very fast everyone runs into walls and needs an assist at times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #36  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
That's interesting; Stazon typically is not recommended for use with copics, since it is basically the same kind of ink as a copic. For the same reason that dye inks run with watercolors, Stazon ink usually runs with copics. Have you not experienced that?
No, I don't get a smear or running with Stazon. I let it dry for 2-3 days before I get around to coloring it though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #37  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Was wondering, how do you make your own inkpads?
Depending on what type of ink it is, I use either the foam or a felt pad. you can purchase the ink pad foam off the internet - I think Ranger sells it.

I purchased a container of small bead containers that are about the size of Ranger round sponger tools. There are 30 plastic containers in that case, and all have screw lids on them.

I cut up the foam into circles that fit the container, but I glued them to the lids with E6000 glue. Then I ink up the foam pad (which is on the lid) and screw it onto the little plastic container.

Each container is labeled and stored in that case. The pad, being on the lid, is upside down in the container. I can unscrew the lid and wet my round Ranger distressing tool from the lid, or ink up a stamp with it. The foam pad is higher than the edge of the lid.

I rarely do stamp inking with distress inks, but I use them for everything else. Buying only the re-inkers was a way for me to save money and storage space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 04:05 AM   #38  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I was so absorbed in this thread this morning that I totally missed my regular bus stop on the way to work . And I was going to a store in the opposite direction, so I had further to walk than if I'd just been going to work.
Reply With Quote Likes