Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone use Sterlite drawers to store single stamps?

While at Target today they had the Sterlite 12x12 3 drawer unit on sale. They are the shallow drawers originally marketed to hold 12x12 paper. I bought a couple thinking I could store my single stamps in the drawers. I liked the ideas that the drawers are more shallow and I can organize be category. Now that I am home I am wondering if these plastic drawer units will be sturdy enough? Have you used them? Have they held up? Thanks

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I used to keep all my stamps in plastic drawer units. I have those tall Iris carts (7 or 8 drawer units). I found that the cardboard boxes Costco used to use to hold tuna cans fit the drawers exactly, the sides were maybe 1-1/2 tall. The shallower drawers I could put two boxes of stamps, one box on top of the other box. The deeper drawers held more. My collection is over 6,400 stamps and the carts held up very well, when my collection grew to 6 Iris carts and running out of room I went unmounted. I use 4 carts now to hold lots of other stamping stuff, including and entire Iris cart holding Sizzix dies, and those are heavy. 90% of my stamps are unmounted now and I have so much room.

So yes, the drawers should be okay for single stamps.

Last edited by ladybugstamper2; 03-17-2009 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #3  
kt3
Crimping Master

Question

Hi, I'm so glad you asked this!
I am trying to get my area organized and I could use some ideas, too.

Right now I have them in small tubs sorted by categories such as "words" , "holidays" , "flowers/plants" etc but I realized that wasn't working well because then it caused me to separate some of my coordinating stamps so they could go into the "right" tub. I'm thinking about getting a shallow drawer setup or two and then grouping sets and/or like items together just like you are doing.

I'm starting to get into Stampin' Up and I love how their stamps come in coordinating sets with the clear containers. Does anyone have suggestions for how to organize & keep my older stamps that didn't come with these handy containers? I was kind of thinking of just using ziploc bags and then laying those flat into the tubs until I get drawers, but I don't know if that will be handy or a pain.

Any advice is great!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #4  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the drawers will hold up fine but if you are using the carts with wheels, the wheels can (and did) break with too much weight (I had my cardstock in them). But the wheels do not have to be attached and if you still need mobility, maybe some handy person can make you a dolly.

HTH and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Plenty sturdy enough!! I store EVERYTHING in them LOL!!

I have my unmounted SU stamps, and some that are still mounted. My unmounted and clear stamps are in CD cases and 24 cases fit in each drawer - four stacks of six. In some drawers, I have loose rubber and cling-mounted rubber.

I keep my cardstock, my DP, my PUNCHES (yes - a lot in 2-1/2 drawers and they do just fine pulling in and out), my drawings, and my frequently used accessories (so they don't take up table space - I just leave that drawer open as I work).... lots of stuff .

I have two stacks of four units each on one table - yes it goes up high, but the drawers are so easy to slide completely out if you want. You just slightly squeeze. Which is good - they don't come out if you don't want them to! On the shelf under that table, I have two more stacks of two units each for my cardstock.

Then, I have another stack of three units. Two drawers have punches, three drawers have drawings, one drawer has less-used punches and my unmounted wheels and SU backgrounds, one holds my Nestabilities (also in CD cases) and the last is reserved for making a stockpile of nesties shapes.

I love using these ~ and it is so easy to rearrange and reorganize. Just move those drawers around as needed. If I'm using something more, I can move it lower down.

Anyway. . . they work great. I also label some of them on the outside. I just write on the drawer in permanent marker. If I change something, I scribble on the permanent marker with a Dry Erase marker and then wipe off with a cloth or paper towel. Easy peasy!

As soon as I get my marker bin for my desktop, I'll be posting photos in my gallery

If you want to use the SU plastic clamshell cases to keep your stamps further organized, they will fit in stacks of two (for height).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #6  
Inking Addict

I also use them! I've found mine at Costco and BJs and at JoAnns (but only buy with a coupon because they are expensive)... like one of the others mentioned though - I would think twice about putting the wheels on. Not using wheels allows the bottom unit to more evenly distribute the weight. Right now I have 5 of them that are about 4ft. tall. Some have 4 deep drawers & 2 shallow; others have 3 deep drawers and 4 narrow drawers. I use those plastic CD crates inside of the deep drawers - and sort my stamps that way because most of my stamps are just on the EZFoam and in CD cases. Then I just use an index card, write on it with thicker marker, and place it inside of the drawer but facing front.... I can see through the clear plastic. If I'm feeling creative, I'll also label the drawer on the outside with one of those p-touch label makers! In the narrow drawers I keep my stamp pads, my glitter and embossing powders, punches, and wood mounted stamps. I use the plastic trays (for cutlery) to hold my powders and that way I sort those by color in the tray... can pull a tray out when I need it too. The units hold all of the weight! I use an old 50's style formica kitchen table as my work surface. I found short units that fit under the table. Perfect for my white cardstock and some overflow stamps. I've been stamping and "collecting" for 2 years now... and haven't had any issues with the storage units. I think they're a very reasonable alternative and should work for you.

Last edited by kraftyaunt; 03-17-2009 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Additional thoughts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I used to use these and they worked awesome but I got rid of mine when I found a black widow spider living under the bottom drawer. That just freaked me out! But yes, I would still be using them if there weren't so many black widows where I live.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #8  
Vintage Vixen

Yep, I have 3 of these and use them to store single, loose stamps, among other things. I like the 5 drawer ones because the top 4 drawers are not as deep meaning I don't have to keep digging for those items on the bottom. I have the coasters on mine and I haven't had a problem with the wheels breaking or the drawers dipping in the middle. But I can imagine how easily that could happen, because some of our tools are pretty heavy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 04:16 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both the Sterlite and Iris plastic storage drawers. I have used the Sterlite 12X12 drawers for stamps and they are sturdy enough. I have swithed my stamps to Iris carts because I got them for a great price. I now use the 3 drawer sterlite drawers for my paper. Love them for storage!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 04:52 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I keep all my stamps in those type drawers. I have a 4 drawer cabinet with deep drawers that I keep all my stamps in and it's worked out great. So go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 07:38 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by java_jennyView Post
I used to use these and they worked awesome but I got rid of mine when I found a black widow spider living under the bottom drawer. That just freaked me out! But yes, I would still be using them if there weren't so many black widows where I live.
eeeeekkkkkkkk! Spiders (shudder) - especially Black Widows. I don't think we have them in Ohio. :confused: NOt sure though. Are Black Widows drawn to items that sit on the floor or is it the plastic the drawers are made of?

Anyway, Thanks all for your replies. I did pick up some of these drawers and will start converting my stamps from the over-the-door shoe hanger storage to the drawers.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #12  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I wanted to clarify that I never had a problem with the drawers opening or closing ... just that all the weight from the cardstock I stored in it caused one of the wheels to collapse (the plastic piece broke so it couldn't just be put back into place).

I love storing things in drawers - my cat has yet to figure out how to open them but he can (and has) knocked other containers off tables and shelves!

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniesmomView Post
eeeeekkkkkkkk! Spiders (shudder) - especially Black Widows. I don't think we have them in Ohio. :confused: NOt sure though. Are Black Widows drawn to items that sit on the floor or is it the plastic the drawers are made of?

Anyway, Thanks all for your replies. I did pick up some of these drawers and will start converting my stamps from the over-the-door shoe hanger storage to the drawers.

Black Widows can be found everywhere in the US but especially the southern/sub-tropical states. They like the dark and anywhere they won't be disturbed. I'm sure they don't have a preference for sterilite plastic units ;)

I say go for it and buy them. I use them and haven't found a black widow in them yet. Now in my coat closet--that's another story...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Sterlite units are a very workable and inexpensive way to go if you can't afford or don't want built-in's or specialty furniture. I think the secret to them is not to overload them or treat them as junk drawers.

I've got 3 of the 12 inch drawer units so far and I really like them. I use the non-skid shelf lining in some of them and everything stays put with no need for dividers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #15  

Received 279 Likes on 166 Posts

I, too, have used the Sterlite drawers for several years. They hold up well, are great for organizing, and will slide under the countertop/desktop in my craft room. I'll probaby be adding more to my collection to organize the clutter I've accumulated. Isn't it amazing how we keep buying tools, stamps, papers, etc., then something to store it all in? We've also used them for organizing tools in the garage, for organizing gaming equipment (Nintendo, etc.), for extra drawers in the bedrooms for small toys, socks, etc.; my husband uses them in the bed of his truck for organizing his tools and supplies he uses every day for his job. They really are substantial.

Cindy, I like the idea of the non-skid shelf lining in some of the drawers; I'll have to try that! TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hadn't thought about taking the wheels off the carts for more stability...I don't move them from under my desk, so why not?! Great idea. I have 2 carts with 6 drawers each. Punches, pens, markers, adhesives, etc. in one;scrapbook paper, DSP, layouts for specific cards/pages in another cart---from Target, on sale, with individual 12x12 holders with lids. I keep my SU stamps in their original containers, lined up in Michael's or JoAnn's woven baskets, out on the shelves where I can rummage through them. My non-SU stamps are in categories in the clear plastic containers from JoAnn's: Art something or other for around 6.99 or so. Everything of this nature was either on sale or bought with coupons!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use a combination. I took the wheels off all of the wheeled ones a year or so ago when the first one became unstable. I did put a small towel under them so they're not directly on my laminate floor - though, no idea why I did this.

My 2 stacks go nearly to the ceiling. I have 2 rows of mounted rubber stamps in some, stacks of CDs full of unmounted ribber stamps in others, sheets of acrylic stamps in yet others, and ... still more drawers of stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Love mine - I highly recommend them - very sturdy, very stackable and very durable - and they hold tons of stamps :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

I have two of the small three drawer containers. They are about 7"x7". They work just fine!
Reply With Quote Likes